University of New Mexico-Main Campus Top Questions

Anita

Good

It depends on your major and department. I am somewhat aware of liberal arts programs which I like. They are fairly well rounded and challenging. Most students seem to major in exercise science and STEM programs. Teacher education is popular as well, but this program, like most teacher ed programs in the country, are not comprehensive enough and do not prepare predominantly white female students to work in urban schools that are have predominantly Black and Brown students. The STEM type of classes seem to just stress students out-I get the impression that they rely completely on memorization. I was a tutor at the center for academic support and there seemed to be a lot of confusion of what was required of the assignments. I don't know if teachers were just lazy and unclear or if students just could not understand what their teachers wanted. The good thing is that there are a ton of majors available. I don't know what are the strongest departments, but there are many ways to design programs so that they work for you. There are a lot of options for what students can study, which means that there are opportuntities for students to learn new things through elective classes and interdisciplinary programs.

Ray

Hard but rewarding. Professors really want you to learn the material and understand the concepts they are teaching.

Academics are pretty good in my opinion. I keep hearing that the medical programs is what the university takes pride in. Lots of resources like tutors and teacher assistance available to students. Classroom settings 200+ are fair sized, giving more student-instructor interaction.

The academics are outstanding, in most areas. Specifically, the medical, BA/MD, business, and social science programs are excelling in ways that most University students don't have the opportunity to experience.

Academics are given various opportunities to thrive at UNM, and some students even have the opportunity to be a part of the Honors College and take classes such as Philosophy, Greek/Roman studies, etc. Aside from that, no department on campus has been left without a sense of rigor to their curriculum. For instance, I am in the college of Arts and Sciences, and as a freshman, I am preparing to take several upper division (300 level) French classes working towards my Foreign Languages major. There is plenty of opportunities for academic achievement here with enough commitment!

Beatrice

At the beginning of the semester, the professors don't know my name unless they have had me in a class of their's before. Usually, the professors start to remember my name as the semester goes by. I find that class participiation is quite common, especially when the professors try to get everyone to participate. I always find students studying for upcoming tests. Students have intellectual conversations outside of class; and, they are on various topics.

Fadi

The sports, the food, and the tradition, the culture, and almost everything

The academics are very good for being a public college. Many of the programs UNM has are nationally ranked, like our medical school. I am in the biology department, which is very well organized for it's students. Professors work with students in work study or TA relationships and provide lots of experience for students going into different areas of biology. The curriculum at UNM has given me the chance to take classes I otherwise would not take. I have taken world religions, women's study classes, and a variety of communication classes. All of the classes facilitate intellectual conversations among students, which tend to carry into conversations outside of class. The professors show that they really care and most are very interested in giving us the best education they can. They are very welcoming in office hours, and rarely give a power distance feeling to students.

Catlin

My majors are sociology, and English. I have found that both of these departments are phenomenal. The classes are interesting, and the teachers are extraordinarily knowledgeable about their subject. My favorite class has been Victorian Studies with Professor Hunt. I have found that most teachers will work to learn your name and get to know you. The exception to that is when you take a class of 100+ people. Teachers encourage class participation, and students generally participate. But there is not an air of completion. Most students want to help their fellow students, and will always lend some their notes and the like.

I've learned many things at the University of New Mexico, some in class and others outside of class. Something really awesome about the academics at UNM is that no matter how large you class is, you can get help with course material. Whether you are taking an 800 student course like Psychology 105 or an Honors Seminar consisting of fifteen students, there is always someone to help you. All you have to do is contact the Professor or Teaching Assistant via email and let them know you have questions, are struggling, or are confused about a concept. Typically, they get back to you fairly quickly and try to set up a time to discuss things during their office hours or online if that's easier for you. Another interesting thing about UNM academics is that they offer a plethora of online courses so if you really want to take a history class but the class times don't fit into your schedule you can take one online!

Tori

The academics at the University of New Mexico are mediocre. I feel some teachers are there to make a paycheck instead of really wanting to help the student. I have had professors who refused to develop a relationship with there student; therefore, not knowing anything about them including their names. I feel that student here are definitely more personally driven because our professors do not help with the drive at all. The most interesting classes that I have taken at UNM have been my online courses. I believe very strongly in distance education and I feel that online instructors try harder to make a connection with students then with face to face professors. uNM, I feel is, geared towards learning just for the sake of it. I do not necessarily feel that I will be ready to get a job in my field once I have completed my time at this university.

The University of New Mexico offers more than 215 degree programs and also offers a variety of class options that include, distance learning, campus classes, satellite, and correspondence. The class rooms are typically small with as few as twenty students per class, which allows professors to give students individual instruction and guidance. Many of the classes are structured around four to five projects per semester with a considerable amount of in class participation and discussion that students find fun and engaging.

At the University of New Mexico, I am a graduate student in the English Department's Institute for Medieval Studies. The students in the program are very close to one another as well as our professors. We discuss our academics in and out of the classroom, and it shows in our classroom conversations. The professors in our program always have an open-door policy and are ready, willing, and able to chat with us--academically or personally. We feel as though this program has become our second home. We are the medieval family! Because this is an interdisciplinary program, we are required to take medieval courses from professors in various departments throughout the campus including history, religion, art, language, literature, and many more. As always, these professors are open to discussing our academic careers and the possibilities we have through this program. As a student, I feel that I am getting the best possible education from some of the most advanced and highly qualified professors available. When you invest your time and talents into the UNM English Department, and more specifically the Institute for Medieval Studies, you can trust that you will be welcomed by fellow students as well as the teachers, staff, and community. We have high academic standards and will challenge one another to do well and succeed as students and scholars. Immediately after becoming an English Department or Medieval Lobo, you will feel like part of the family!

NA

One of my favorite classes ever taken at UNM was Technical Writing. This class was a lot of hard work, but the knowledge gained is worth it. In this class one learns how to write professionally in the work place, for instance, writing memos, letters, professional emails, instruction sheets and much more. One also gains experience in working with groups and giving professional group presentations. I would recommend this class to everyone.

Biyisola

For high school students, class room changes make take a while to get use to. I've sat in classes that had a 800 people which would be very different then what incoming freshman know. My least favorite class is Pathophysiology. The class itself would be interesting if my teacher would clarify more on the different types of disease. She is the only one who teaches that subject so there is no way to get around her.

Biyisola

At UNM, as with any other college or university, you chose your academic fate. If you want to be known by all of your professors, go to office hours and ask questions in class. If you want to stay under the radar, that is easy to do. Depending on the size of classes you chose, most will not take attendance but will encourage active participation through questions or clickers (Biochemisty was my favorite class, while History was my least favorite. Most students spend at least 3 or 4 hours every night studying, but some classes demand that much alone. Most students in my department are pre-med, so they are extremely competitive. The biology department is fantastic, offering neat classes like infectious organisms and bioterrorism agents. The requirments for our department are extensive compared to others (like psychology), which are more relaxed. Many supporting courses, such as calculus, organic chemistry and physics are required for a degree in biology. There are many resources to help biology majors find careers suited for them.

I feel like I have had a well rounded education here at UNM. Some courses and professors have been better than others, but that is going to be the case at any university or college. I feel like my degree from UNM will serve me very well in my future endevors.

Aimee

Professor...yes Favorite...Evidence and Trial Practice, because it was hands on Least...clinic, because it did not add much to my learning experience study...all day, every day, its law school :( Class participation...very much so Conversations...yes, to the point that Law School admin had to sensor the student forum Competitive...some, but mostly very helpful Uniqueness...Spanish for lawyers, super helpful Major/department...love it. Law School is very intelectually stimulating, we have wonderful teachers, and a range of classes, and a wide range of extracurricular activities and student organizations Time w/ prof...some. Depends on the situation. Probablly two or 3 times a semster Requirements....fine I suppose. would like to see more diveristy in things such as the international business program Geared...seems as though undergrad is designed more towards learning but that may be b/c i'm involved more with the arts and business instread of the technical fields. Law school is a little of both though