University of New Mexico-Main Campus

« See more reviews of University of New Mexico-Main Campus

It is difficult to get consistent answers from advisors about academic and financial issues, and almost everyone I know had some kind of bad experience due to faulty advice. In some departments, it is even difficult to schedule meetings with advisors in the first place. Because UNM is a big school, there is no one really looking out for students as individuals. Therefore, students must learn to take control of their own education, be aggressive about making sure they understand their own degree requirements, and always ask two people before making major decisions.

The rules regarding scholarships. Because of the strict credit-hour and consecutive-semester requirements, I have found it impossible to take a semester off to gain work experience or even take a reasonable courseload that would allow me to be active in extracurricular, volunteer, and social activities, because taking time off or less that 15 credit hours would mean I would forfeit my scholarship. For me, this has led to many health problems and emotional problems because I am unable to take only 4 classes for a semester or so to give myself a chance to recharge.

I think the worst thing about UNM are a few of our outdatted facilities. Although the University has already undergone many campus renovations in many of the areas needed, there are a few places such as Mitchell Hall, a classroom building, that are in desperate need of repair. There are a few student dormitories that are also in desperate need of repair. Mitchell Hall and these certain dorms are often the subject of many articles in the Daily Lobo, our campus newspaper. Might I add, the articles are always about how run down those select buildings are!

I have not been going to the University of New Mexico for very long and have not had the time to discover any deep rooted problems with the school. Of my experience thus far I would have to say that communication between the different departments and branches is probably the worst issue. Since I am attending the Farmington branch they known most of my information; but, the main campus handles both my financial aid and admission. Because of poor communication between these different groups I ran into several problems when trying to register for classes.

It sucks that a lot of people are ignorant to what is going on with administration. Our newspaper tends to over exaggerate situation and then they get out of proportion and then there has to be damage control done, when if people actually knew what was going on in the first place, there would not have been any sorty of mis-communication. I have seen several students who are very disrespectful to both the administrators and President of the University, which I find unacceptable. They are working for the students!

Honestly I dont like the way that chemistry is taught here we have TA's that dont speak english and that is a safety hazard. There will always be that one kid who could get hurt. The security here they dont have an available service where they could walk new students to thier classes without having to wait 30min. Odd enough the school is located in the worst part of town near a street called Central. Albuquerque is very dangerous also I have almost gotten kidnaped in broad daylight.

I would say the tuition rates for out of state students and the availability of financial aid, grants, or scholarships. I am the youngest of 4 children, and my parents are definitely having a difficult time putting me through school. I wish I qualified for more financial aid or grants. I wish my worries as a college student went as far as studying for midterms and exams, but in reality, I have to worry about whether I will have enough money to go register for classes next semester.

The worst thing about my school is the fact that there is so many things going on it is hard to choose just a few of them to praticipate in. I feel that alot of the focus does go to the extra curricular activities and this is good but sometimes it seems moe than the other. The major bad thing about this school is how expensive it is. If it were less expensive alot more people would have the oppurtunity to learn and enjoy college. Either that or more scholarships avaliable.

I think the worst thing about the University of New Mexico is the worst thing about any school. Deciding. Deciding who you want to be for the rest of your life. As soon as it's etched on your transcripts it's there for life. The only thing different about UNM is that next to my decision is a UNM logo. It sealed my fate and that's what I hate most about it. I can't change who I am. What if in thirty years I want to be a teacher? UNM says I cannot. That's the worst.

The worst thing about the University of New Mexico would probably the price to text books, but then againt what university would not have that problem! It just feels like at UNM their prices are alot higher than they should be, and on Buy Back Days, they do not give much back. I feel they should compensate the students more when buying back their textbooks, or lower their prices. I mean we're college students! We cannot afford $500 on textbooks a semester!