University of New Mexico-Main Campus Top Questions

Carolina

As a high school senior and just before that, when I was applying for college, I was sure I would end up anywhere but UNM. Unfortunately, UNM gets a bad reputation around New Mexico, especially in Los Alamos where I grew up and people tend to think only those who can't get in elsewhere attend college here. When my scholarship offer came in the mail, it was obvious that I couldn't turn it down. My mom was in tears telling me how happy she was that I wouldn't have to rely on my dad's open-ended promises to make it through college the way my sister did, but I was upset that I would be stuck in Albuquerque. Now, two years later, I've learned to appreciate all the little things that come along with being close to home. If I could tell my senior self one thing, it would be to make the best of a situation that seems less than ideal. If I had moved far from home, I would be missing important moments in my baby siblings' lives, and I would be having to take out massive loans.

What I would tell myself is to stay focused in school and not get caught up with my surrounding. The surroundings being partying, friends, and gaming. All these distractions took away from the one thing that could have made me a better scholar. Now that I see where I am at and where I am going I feel that those years where dumb and foolish. I would tell myself that sure they may be fun and exciting but it is not worth it in the end. College is hard and a lot of work. If I knew that before I left for college than I would have taken high school more seriously. Now my studying skills are always being improved becasue I refused to learn in high school. Learn all that you can in the time given because once that is taken away then a new, harder story begins!! Good Luck! Stay Focused

Hopefully I would not go back in time to midterms or finals week when trying to talk to my old self. Planning on that not happening, and being able to talk to my old self when he was in a listening mood would be the best time to give him some advice on the future. I would tell him to not worry about homework, essays, and tests so long as he is proactive in his studying. Start doing the assignments earlier that way you do not have to cram the night before like so many other students do. Doing so you will have stress free academic career with an incredible amount of free time for an internship, job, and social life. Next I would tell him to pursue an internship at his earliest convenience. Pursue playing sports/intramurals in college as this opens the door easily to new friends and an engaging college experience. Lastly, I would tell him to pursue even the smallest interest in another field of study such as engineering, psychology, the arts, anything. Later in life it will help that you did as no one thinks exactly like you. They all have different interests and hobbies.

veronica

I would tell myself not to ever give up, and to keep striving for what I want in life. I would tell myself that I will get far in life, and to take life one step at a time. I would tell myself to never forget my goals and to keep pushing.

Evelyn

As a college freshman, I have found that classes are short, but the lack of time with the instructor is made up through the extensive homework hours that I spend every night. However, the transition between high school and college for me was not so agressive, thanks to the fact that I was always enrolled in at least two Advanced Placement classes, which were just as intense and homework packed as my college classes, therefore I would tell myself "Evelyn you're doing great keep up with AP classes and never slack because those will be the classes that truly prepare you for college. "Another word of advice which I now give to my middle school brother is that straight As are not the only important aspect of getting into a great college. Extra curricular activities and being extroverted are what make you a well rounded person, I would therefore tell myself , "Evelyn even though you do great in all your classes,dont sweat it if you are on the brink of Bs, rather look for something fun to do that takes your mind off of school while being involved with your community; please be more than a book worm."

Dear Sam, Where to begin... I know right now it feels like your world is crashing down, like everyone around you has turned their backs, and that home just doesn't quite feel like home anymore, but, in a few months, life as you know it will be turned upside down. Everything that matters to you right this second will be a laughing matter in the days to come. But for now, stop turning your cheek in embarrasment every time your mom leans in to kiss you because I guarentee you will miss those moments. Make things better with your dad before you leave because I promise you you're going to need him when you're gone. Keep working hard on your grades...you haven't the slightest idea how much they have helped you succeed in the years to come. And as far as volleyball goes? Hang in there.. It will all fall into place just as you have dreamed. Sam, if there is one thing I must say it is this... Continue to prove them wrong. Perservere through everything and know that it doesn't get easier, but it will be worth it.

As Brad Paisley sang in Letter to Me, "your'e wondering if you'll survive, you'll make it through this and you'll see, your'e still around to write this letter to me." Life will seem hard just about all the time. The homework never seems to stop and there are times when you want to rip your hair out. Now I don't know this for sure, but people tell me that things get better after college, so persevere. Don't be afraid to try new things, regret is your greatest enemy. There is nothing worse than wishing you had done that one thing and wondering what your life would be like if you had. The alarm app on your iPod is your best friend, set it to remind you BEFORE regular homeworks are due and you'll get through classes alright. Just never slack off or wait untill the last minute to write papers or do projects.

Jocelyn

If I could go back and tell the high school senior me anything, it would be no not worry about the prestige of the university. Coming to the University of New Mexico, I thought I was better than my peers for being able to attend college away three hours away from home. Going into the second semester of my junior year, I am transferring to a college an hour away from home. Attending UNM allowed me to be able to transition well into college life, however, my happiness depleted due to my family being so far away. I would tell myself to do what your heart tells you, but keep in mind, your decision will affect you in the long run. Sometimes going to a university close to home is the best for your physical and mental wellbeing. As long as you are working to receive a degree from a post-secondary institution, the name of the institution does not matter; your name is the only name that matters on that Bachelor's degree.

Bonnie

Dear Bonnie, You are about to begin a period of intense personal growth and self-discovery... here is some advice for your journey. Take more art classes, creative expression will be your biggest ally and provide you with a window into yourself. Please remember that your parents love you dearly. Though it may not seem like it, they have your best interests at heart. Don't compare yourself to others. Treat others with love and compassion; you never know how your actions will affect those around you. Spend less time listening to the media telling you who you should be, and more time being creative and discovering who you already are. The company you keep will greatly influence your perception, so do yourself a favor and surround yourself with positive people. Don't take yourself too seriously. Try not to be too hard on yourself... just remember we are our own worst critic. Above all else, listen to your heart and trust your intuition, your instincts are usually right. Keep an open mind and a steady heart, and you will be destined for miracles! I believe in you! Love, Your Future Self

Kristyn

Kristyn, my dear, listen. To those who say, "you need to decide." Although you think you do not need to abide, By the rules set to help you strive. You should listen To those who say, "four years goes by fast." They will be your past. Even though you may feel harassed, Please listen To those who say, "Go." You think you already know but even so, You'll surely look back and think, "Woah, Maybe I should have listened."

Maresa

Don't take yourself so seriously. Everything that happens, happens for a reason. (And please read this in Amy Poehler's Voice). The steps it takes you to find who are, are painful, ugly, beautiful, and all around fantastic. You won't enjoy them one bit. But I can promise you three years from now, you will not regret a moment of them. First of all, college sucks. You miss mom, and the comfort of being able to crawl into your bed and sleep till noon on saturday without worrying about your roommate practicing her keyboard that she insisted on bringing with her... I promise it gets better. The keyboard playing roommate becomes your bestfriend. And college doesn't suck that bad. It's a brand new chapter of your life. Allow yourself the freedom of growing up. Don't worry about anyone but yourself. Trust your insticts. Follow your dreams, not anyone elses. And finally, no one cares what you do when you grow up as long as you are happy. So, for the love of pete, study what you want to study.

You know that there is more to yourself than you're given credit for. Your mother doesn't know you; her criticisms do not make you who you are. Don't waste life being resentful and diminishing your own value just to spite someone else. Those who say you are not fit to be successful are the very people who are afraid to see you succeed. They are not for you and have thus made themselves irrelevant to you. That is their own sorrow to deal with in life, don't make it yours: it doesn't have to be yours. You can do better, be bigger, and grow beyond the limits that others have set for you. You already are beyond the limits that others have set for you. Your mind is ravenous, you think so much more deeply than those around you; use that mind to think more clearly: the people around you are but a few in a huge world filled with variety of minds and interests. Don't settle to the levels of those around you; go out and find others at your own level, and those above who can challenge you to grow further. Go.

Psst. Rachel. Hey, down here. No, here, in the computer! You know French club and drama club and all of those things you keep telling yourself you don't have time for? You have all the time in the world. Go do them. Also, please learn to regulate yourself better. I know that your parents are always telling you to do your chores and homework, and eat healthy foods, and on, and on. However, next year, you're going to have to tell yourself all of those things. Just because there isn't someone there telling you to finish your work and eat your vegetables doesn't mean you won't benefit enormously from doing it. Also, appreciate your family. When they ask you to go on a bike ride, go with them, and don't complain about it. Talk to them in the evenings, instead of going on the computer to talk to your friends. Listen to your mom when she's talking to you. It may not seem like it, but you're going to miss them when you aren't living here anymore. And finally, please stop dyeing your hair black. Thanks, and have a great year!

I would tell myself not to waste my life in resentment of how others treat me, or of the lack of respect others may show toward me. Don't give up because others aren't able to see in you what you know is there. It may be frightening to move into something so big without support, but that is much less frightening than looking back on twenty years wasted getting support from others to be something you hate.

Kenny

I wish time travel was real because I would have had better opportunites. First, make a list of the top 5 universities that you know would be the right fit for your education degree and location that will best suite your personality. Contact those universities through e-mail, phone, or even visiting them if possible. Apply with those top 5 schools to give you more leverage against the other universities, this shows that you are valued by others and makes them want you more. A huge step to take is finding the right CONNECTION. Do this by talking with the admisions offices and getting through to the best advisor because they know what it takes to get in the school. You have to be persistant and never stop trying to shoot for the stars because the atmosphere is still close. Having the ability to create connections and recieve as MUCH inside information about each school is of utmost importance. Look from within yourself to decide what you Want to do as a career. Also look at the current job market along with growing and emerging markets to help with your decission to best match your personality. Strive For GOLD!

If I could go back in time and give myself advice about college and how to prepare for it, I would tell myself that you need to learn how to study and how to manage time. College no matter if it is a local community college or a university expects you to do the work not the professors, only you can achieve the grades and degrees that you need. Another thing I would tell myself is that you need to enjoy college. Work hard in your classes, stay focused on your school work, but also have fun and get involved in every aspect of college. College is a great experience but also a hard one.

I would advice my senior self to start looking at scholarships and colleges that day. I'd also tell myself to study harder in school and put forth more of an effort so that it will be easier to qualify for scholarships and such.

monica

I would have started in a school where I got a scholarship and took more science and math classes. I was unprepared for what the university had to offer and I had to take more preparation classes that postpones my graduation date.

I really struggled in my first attempt at college immediately after high school. Even though I was successful academically in high school, I lacked confidence, responsibility, and maturity. I was very naive about the world and subsequently ended up making a lot of mistakes , both personally and academically. As an older student, I have learned a lot, and now understand what it takes to achieve my goals, but I wish it hadn't taken me so long to get to where I am. If I were to advise my younger self, I would probably begin with networking. I think it's important to start building a strong, positive network of peers at the college you plan to attend before you even get there. An effective support system is priceless. I would also insist that a younger me familiarize herself with all college resources, and understand the importance of assertiveness and self-advocacy. I had many experiences that would have been much different if I had only asked for help. Lastly, I would wisely advise a younger me to care more about herself and less about dating, and to get more involved in constructive campus activities and enriching opportunities..

Gary

I would tell myself that focusing on school when younger would have been wiser, but the journey I will take might be better because of the life lessons learned before returning to college and getting my degrees.

Elaine

If I could go back in time to my high school self, I think I would tell myself not to wait to go to college. There is so much about college life to enjoy when you are young. Do your best in school because good grades will take you far. When you can do well academically it opens so many doors that it is unbelievable, from opportunities to study abroad, to membership in organizations that can advance your future, to scholarships; it is well worth the effort. Study hard, but don't forget to enjoy the time as well. Be a friend and make memories.

Jose

Convince my high school teacher to grade a little harder so that it required me to put more effort in my work. If you struggle in your class go to tutoring to help the transition in the amount of school work and difficulty a little easier. Never, think you are unable to do anything cause you can.

Itzy Erin

I would tell myself not to take more than 15 credit hours for my first university semester. One should be conservative and get to know the flow and rhythm of the teachers and your own performance towards the academic demands before you increase the load. I would remind myself to reflect on what I am learning everyday, not only academically speaking, but also with respect to my social interactions or lack thereof, and the way other people impact my life and how my input may impact their life. I would advise myself to try to help transitioning students because, as someone who has received support by tutors and encouragement from friends, I know how important it is. I also would tell myself to not lose perspective about the competition, because the main competition is myself. I would say that my focus should be on the constant improvement of my own capabilities and that the letter “A” should be a reflection of my understanding of the material, not just an artifact that allows me to move forward. Retaining what you have learned is the foundation that you will continually build upon, so don’t just study for the test.

Taha

To take harder classesduring high school and to get to have a better idea of the different colleges and scolarship opportunities. To get as much contact with the professional field in order to have an idea of the concentration you would like to pursue in college and to avoid switching classes and waisting years of your life. ( taking summer camps...) To read more books in order to improve your vision and your cultture. To take a lot of professional writing worshops in order to get ready to the college assignements.

Do not get held back by that stupid religious notion that women should only be raising kids in the home. Realize that you love learning about the brain, you are good at math and have natural ability to understand psychological concepts. Apply for the best programs and push to succeed. You will love it and you will not go to hell.

Raelene

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to work hard in any classes because G.P.A. is very important to scholarships. It’s important to manage time carefully too because you must make time for your homework, assignments, and friends. Remember to always study for each exam because unlike high school you can’t blow off a test and hope for the best. Each exam is important and every grade matters. When it comes to making friends, just be you and be opened to meeting new people. You are going to meet new people who are different from you and different from what you are used to. Do these things and college is going to be amazing, fun, and very liberating.

I would tell myself to stop being so afraid. College gave me so many more experiences than high school ever did. It is a fun thing, not terrifying. Also, put yourself out there more, don't be so withdrawn. Become part of more groups, push yourself out of your comfort zone. And lastly, don't let people tell you what you should or should not study. Study what you want, and you'll be so much happier for it.

I would say take full advantage of the experience. If you can just go to school, just go to school. You have a lifetime to work, just enjoy all the oppourtunities that will come your way. Get involved in campus clubs and activities. The friends you make and the fun you will have is what you will remember 20 years from now...not what history or science class you had. Not to say party and enjoy your social life but not academics, no learn like a sponge, take it all in. The four years will be gone before you know. Think about what will happen after school, after you graduate. Talk to others that are in your field of study, is this something you are going to want to do on a daily basis? Do summer internships, make valuable professional contacts. It's who you know, not always what you know that will get you ahead in this world. Never give up on that dream, even though sometimes you will want to.

Never let the fear of the future or the expectations of society kill your love of learning. I've walked in your shoes before and I know that you're worried and torn. I know that right now studying business seems like the safer choice, the only plausible one, but history inspires you - it feeds your imagination. You can share that joy with others. YOU can choose. Let that enthusiasm for learning drive you, but also try to remember that there is a world outside the spines of your books. Experience all aspects of life as fully as you can. Try to find the balance between learning and living. Always do the best you can in all your endeavors, but remember that in the end you are more than the university you attended or the job you had and the money you made. Yes, those things matter, but there's more to learning than books and classrooms, there's more to life than being comfortable. There's more to you than what others can see. And after all, in your imagination you can live an infinite number of lives, so why be limited to one that others chose for you?

Susan

Frankly, "making the transition" would be at the bottom of the list of advice I would give to my past self. I had a lot of other things going on at the time which resulted in my attendance of college at a later age than most incoming Freshmen. However, since that's not the prompt, I suppose my advice to myself on "making the transition" would be to ignore distractions, budget my time wisely, and make a serious commitment. I would also encourage myself to move out-of-state sooner, as this was the decision in my life that was a really pivotal change for me. It removed the safety net, so to speak, and forced me to succeed. It also eliminated those distractions I was talking about earlier.

Pursue what you want. It's your life and you want to be in a career you love, are interested in, challenges you, and you can see doing the rest of your life. If you're good at calculus or other hard courses you took in high school, that's great! You challenged yourself in something you're good at and succeeded! That doesn't mean you have to be an engineer. Don't let anyone make this decision for you, you'll regret it and waste time and money. Find something you're passionate about, make the decision before college or during college, at least YOU'RE making the choice. Even if your choice isn't a doctor, lawyer, or engineer you can still be happy with life and make a great living. You just have to have the motivation to work hard and love what you're doing. Don' lose sight of that. You can go far in any field if you love it and are wanting to succeed in it. It's hard to make the decision now, I know. You might let down some people. But you won't regret it, I promise!

If I could go back and give myself advice in high school I would tell myself to learn more about what colleges you can afford that also have the degree program you are looking for. I was wanting to get a business law degree and applied for the college I am in now strictly because it would be slightly easier to afford. What I did not know was that it did not have the degree program that I really wanted. I changed my degree program and enjoy it, but wish I could be doing what I really wanted to do. I would also tell myself to force myself to sign up for more activities my freshman year. I did not join clubs and I wish I would have. I feel like it would have been more motivation to put that extra effort and enthusiasm into my studies.

I feel that I made the transition from high school senior to college freshman quite easily. I would like to give myself the advice to be more open to change. School and grades are important, but enjoying the college life and socializing is just as important in some aspects. I would like to see myself relax a little more and enjoy being a young college freshman. I feel I was a little too consumed with my studies to really fully enjoy the other aspects of being a college student.

Jaime Miguel

I came to UNM without knowing many people. I spent the first few days feeling miserable, alone, and with the fear of becoming another washout who would return to the local college after a semester. So what changed my outlook? Simply getting out of my dorm room. No matter what school you may end up attending, opportunities will abound to become close to others. Every face you meet could end up being the face of a new friend. With this new attitude, I decided to try again. There were dozens of chances: free tickets to the local minor league baseball game. A drive-in movie night. Midnight breakfast. I quickly was drawn to new people, and acquaintances turned into friends as our conversations turned from "what's your major?" to the adventures we would soon make reality. The bottom line? BE OPEN. I was one of over six thousand new freshman at my university. Most were in the same situation as I was: a new, unknown setting. My one piece of advice is to simply make the most of this and IGNORE YOUR COMFORT ZONE. College is for new experiences, so never turn down an opportunity to try something new.

tara

Dear Tara,

In order to establish an ideological foundation, if I could go back in time and tell myself the following, it would probably help me understand the implications of the profession, architecture, I was about to delve into. With this knowledge, it could have help mold my beginning architectural projects in school to have a completely different and probably better outcome. The exact words I would state are the following: “Architecture has the power to change society and human behavior, but it should do so for legitimate reasons. Society counts on us to make those decisions. We, as designers, should not forget the impact our design decisions make. I believe the best education can equip me with the professional background to know when to ask the difficult questions and how to answer those questions effectively. It is said that it is impossible to learn anything until you are ready to learn it. Make sure you are ready and continue on when your drive for architecture only gets stronger as you move forward, because it won’t be easy.”

Firstly, I would advise myself to apply to as many colleges that interested me as possible. I would recomend this simply because I went out of country and was short on time, so I settled on UNM merely because of financial reasons. My second recomendation would be to more thouroughly brainstorm my degree interests, their potetial careers, and establish a yearly plan to guide my progress and educational decisions to graduation.

The best advice that i would give myself is to focus on time manegment. It is what can break or make a person. I would also tell myself to take schooling more serious because although a lot of this time is fun i can catch up to you and you need to keep your focus on what is the long term goal. Looking back now i understand why so many people find it hard to make it through all the years of college. I would tell myself to be ready for a lot of freedom, but to be careful how that time is used.

Diego

“If we don’t change, we don’t grow. If we don’t grow, we aren’t really living,” Gail Sheehy. Looking into college and the changes it will bring can be overwhelming and even scary, but rest assured the experiences you will have and the friendships you will make will be rewarding and invaluable on so many levels. High school is a time where we tend to follow the herd to fit in, but college is the place where we break free and get to know ourselves. We explore new ideas, gain self-confidence, and challenge ourselves to do better. However these changes don’t just happen, we make them happen- one day at a time, one moment at a time. So try new things! Step out of your comfort zone! Register for a dance class, join a club that interests you, meet one person in every course. Each experience will help you grow on this dynamic road of self edification. Remember that there is never just one right choice in college because it’s about more than education, it’s about learning. Diego Matek- [email protected]

Cassidy

I would tell myself that it is important to have a social life. Of course, school work and grades are very important, but they are not all that matters. It is good to have realtionships and resources with people you went to high school with and with new students in college. It helps to know that you have someone who can take notes for you when you are sick, or who can help you find a quiet place to study on campus, or soemone just to hang out with at lunch time, or soemone to walk to class with. I would also say that it is okay to have responisble fun every now and then. Go to a football game or another campus activity, but be involved. Meeting new people is part of the college experince, and it should be fun, not a chore. Later on in life when you have your dream job and good friends by your side, you will see that it all paid off.

Pauline

Growing up on a small island in the Pacific called Rota, I was not exposed to many things. Rota, being the small, isolated island that it is, is very limited in opportunities for a developing young man like me. Because of the lack of exposure to different things and the minimal opportunities on-island, I became reserved and shy. Following my high school graduation, I decided to pursue a college degree at the University of New Mexico. Coming from Rota where there were very few people, I was uncomfortable at first. I had never talked to people of different ethnicities, and then suddenly I was attending school with people of different backgrounds. As the school year progressed, I was able to make many acquaintances. Through their kindness and friendship, I was able to gain an understanding of and respect for their different cultural backgrounds. I understand that my experiences of living on a Pacific Island may not be interesting to everyone, but I ultimately believe that I had contributed to the diversity of the University of New Mexico through my culture which emphasizes respect for others, especially the elderly, and a passion to preserve our natural environment.

I would say do not get caught in "senioritis" and get lazy, do not miss out on the huge opportunities in scholarships, grants, and grades you can pull off during senior year. Train for baseball, push through everything you do. I would tell my self to want success as bad as I want to breathe. Don't sleep through anything, I would say that you want to make people proud, but most certaintly, you got to make yourself proud of your own expectations. Don't sleep throught the opportunity you have to excel in. People say they always say, "I have time to do it later", until it runs out and that will be it. Avoid being dumb to not do anything during free time but to get ahead of plenty of others on scholarships and grants. Make yourself proud along with the people you truely care about.

Rehan

If I was able to go back I would tell my self to spend less time on stydying. Get out and know some people dont be a loner and try to help others and not to be selfish. I would tell myself to listen to my parents. I would tell myself to start playing some sport and once in a while go out and hang around with my friends because getting very high grades is not the most importnat thing its who you are. I would tell my self to get out of textbooks and start reading some other books and newspapers too. I would learn how to play soccer and start going to gym. I would tell my self to learn computer and start taking interst in Computer Science because If I would learn it at that point it will really help me out in College. Above of all I would tell my self to study really really hard before two months of the final examsso I wolud get good grades. I would tell my self to give SAT's and get good grades and aplly to very good colleges so I will get a good Scholarschip.

Advice I would give myself back in high school is that I should do more community service and not be so nervous about going to college, because there is a lot of people that care about you and will help you along the way. Also I would tell myself to read and work harder on my writing and grammar skills so that they won't be so low for entering college level classes, it will take some stress off your back when writing 10 page papers. Another big advice tip I would have given myself is to work and save as much money as possible, because getting a higher education isn't cheap. And one last thing I would have told myself is to never start being a procrastinator, to make sure I stay on top of my home work and studying.

Estevan

If I could go back in time and talk to myself about the college transition, I would tell myself three main pieces of advice. First off I would say "College is tough, make sure you set aside enough time up to do homework, and do homework well with100 percent effort everytime." My second piece of advice would have went something like this "Well, I don't think stressing about money while in school is a smart thing to do, so cut your hours at work at least less than 20 and get a student loan so you can focus on what is most important; college." Finally, my last piece of advice would have been stated such as: "You are only going to be a college freshman once, so go join a club, play a sport, make some friends, and most of all go to study sessions because the more people you interact with about and around school, the more you will like it and the more you will be most likely to succeed!"

Susan

Frankly, I was going through a lot of personal problems at that time unrelated to academia, so my advice to myself probably wouldn't be about college at all. The reason why I am a 24-year old freshman isn't because I'm stupid or unambitious, it's because in high school I suffered from clinical depression. This led to a whole host of other problems that left me pretty much unable to function in an academic situation. To be perfectly honest with you, I was misdiagnosed by a quack shrink with a mental disorder I didn't have, and I lost three years of my life to unnecessary (and damaging) medications. It took me a long time to get it back. So my advice to my eighteen year old self would be to be a little more circumspect with who I let feed me pills and to be more of an active participant in my medical treatment. Now if I was talking to someone else, I would probably tell them to take their college education seriously and not party themselves right out the front door, which is what I think this question is really getting at.

Some people say that High School are the best four years of your life, but they obviously have never been to college. Your college experience is what you make of it. Whatever you put in is what you get. There are so many people on campus, and so many diverse cultures. Indulge in this diversity and learn. The education doesn't stop in the classroom, you need to learn about people in general. Get involved on campus! Join as many clubs as you can! Go to as many possible athletic events as possible. Network with people on and around campus, and they will carry you into an internship, and later a career. Keep a planner, and quickly adapt yourself to some time management. Work hard, play hard. Make sure you balance your social life with your academic work. Most importantly: have fun and be safe! What you do in college will carry you through the rest of your life.

Lorin

If I were to go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to have fun while it lasts. Getting used to writing essays, having extra long class periods, and entering a whole new environment are just a few of the challenges that are bound to be overcome. Being sucked in by "senioritis" is not the way to go since college is 10 times as challenging and a big responsibility to juggle. Keeping those grades up is just as important, as it strengthens your mind and makes the transition into college a tad smoother. Now that you're going to be paying to attend school, it's of great importance that your money isn't going down the drain because of failed classes. Most importantly, remember to have fun, stay focused, and always keep your priorities straight in order to stay on the path to success.

Beatrice

I would tell my high school self to fill out as many scholarships as possible. I would also tell my high school self to never give up on myself and study as hard as possible to get the highest grades possible.

Pelatia

I would have told myself to apply for every scholarship available no matter how unavailable it seemed. I would have also taken more credits during each semester to finish quicker. I also would have maintained my GPA a lot better during the first 2 years.