University of New Mexico-Main Campus

« See more reviews of University of New Mexico-Main Campus

At UNM, a student will often find themselves hard-pressed to find answers to general queries that seem simple, being tossed back and forth between several different departments before even the inkling of an answer has been found. When tossed into the whirlwind processes of the University's bureaucratic system, the answers have been lost, become untouchable, and can destroy the "can-do attitude" of nearly any striving student. This could be a very intricately hidden means of creating that self reliance a student needs to thrive in the college environment. If that's so, then, "Congratulations, UNM!"

The most frustrating thing would have to be having to work part time and and still meet the requirements of bills, tuition, and my course load. I receive some financial aid by what is know as the Lottery Scholarships, as most students at my school also receive, but the cost of tuition and books force me to work more and focus on school less. This also makes it hard to stay on track with my degree curriculum. Also the core curriculum that my school requires every student to take. It takes 3 or 4 semesters to complete that core curriculum.

Getting into classes and making them all work in a good schedule so you can work or do other things. Sometimes it's hard to get into classes or they only offer them certain semesters so if you can't get in them then you have to wait a whole year till the next one is taught. It can be very hard. For freshman or transfer students it's horrible because they have to wait until everyone has already registered and then they can registered. So for your first semester you pretty much are going to get crappy classes.

The different departments such as Registrar, Bursars, etc are not on the same page. One department will say one thing, and the other will say something else. Students here have to be on top of everything by themselves, otherwise the school and mess up there information and it will be a hard time fixing it. The constant construction is frustrating too because it limits the availability of certain classes, which makes it difficult to create a good schedule or the schedule that will work best.

The most frustrating thing about UNM is the academic advisors. A student can see the same advisor two days in a row, ask the same questions, but recieve two completely different answers. They are not knowlegable, nor helpful in any way. The advisors within the departments are a bit better, but the general advisors are close to useless. It is better use of a student's time to ask an upperclassman for help rather than an advisor.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the parking and how ridiculous the parking authority is on giving tickets. Were broke college students and can't afford to be paying twenty-five dollars for every ticket. Campus needs to figure out a better parking sytem for the amount of traffic and flow of studnets that go through UNM on a daily basis.

The most frustrating aspect of UNM is the reputation that it has amongst high school students in the Albuquerque. Many students have a bad outlook on attending the university, and often look down on each other when they do attend UNM. The school is still fantastic, it just has a poor reputation around Albuquerque Public Schools.

The most frustrating thing about the University of New Mexico is getting through the administrative paper work and process. There is a lot to keep on top of, but I don't think that it is unique to a University setting. Other than that, I feel that this school does a great job in all other aspects.

The most frustrating thing UNM is the fact that tuition keeps going up, but students don't see many of the advantages because most of the money goes to the basketball coach's and the president's salary. Then we have to pay more for parking and books as well, so they get us coming and going.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that the students have so many petty complaints about insignificant things and the teachers go along with all of their complaint-tactics and accomodate that small percentage of students that complain about ridiculous things.