University of New Mexico-Main Campus Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of New Mexico-Main Campus

The University of New Mexico is an excellent school. There are many resources that I have discovered every day. We are very active in our sports teams as well as our music department. Many of our professors are very encouraging as well as supportive of our degree path.

Erika

I am currently a freshman here at the University of New Mexico. The first time I step foot on campus was for Orientation. I felt like I was home, everyone was so nice and polite. The school offers many great activities as well as clubs. There is literally a club for everything. Living on campus was a the best decision I made, everyone that lives in the dorms are like a big happy family. I can't forget about the professors and classes, the classes are a great size they're not to big, but just the right size. The professors I've had so far are great, you can really communicate with them if needed, and they have flexible office hours and they've taught me so much. I love this school, it has the best qualities most universities don't have.

Ben

UNM is honestely a under rated school. It seems like a lot of people tend to go for the bigger names out there without realizing the benefits UNM has to offer. For instance, UNM's medicine, law and engineering programs are some of the best in the Country .I like UNM because the professors, for the most part, are available and willing to help you learn. The down sides to UNM would be the huge class sizes and the heavily political focus on campus.

Dior

UNM has it's flaws but there is a lot to appreciate about it. The campus is nice and well-kept and we even have our own duck pond with REAL ducks, turtles, and fish. At UNM, we have SUB where various food companies such as: Subway, WisePies, Blakes, Twisters, etc. are where people can have their lunch. If you're curious about sports and exercise, we have Johnson Field (soccer/football field) and Johnson center (2 full pools, weight room(s), 3 separate gyms). Do you like libraries? We have 4 spread throughout the campus. And on average, classes are relatively small compared to other colleges I've observed. The biggest class I can think of at any semester is in Woodward Hall which can hold up to about 800-1,00 students? But so far, I haven't been placed in a class such as that. Teachers genuinely care for their students. I rarely look at RateMyProfessor, I care more about what time and what class I need to take for my degree. And so far all the classes I have taken have been successful and even the classes I struggled in I felt like the teacher really tried their hardest to help me. But I would beware or give a word of caution about our advisers/financial aid/scholarship/registration offices. Usually around the beginning and end of the semester these offices struggle to keep up and assess things in a quick/appropriate manner. So, it would be best to do any tasks/errands regarding these areas about 2 weeks either before or after the semester. Plan ahead as much as you can. But besides this little slip-up, the campus is generally well functioning and the learning environment is worth what you pay.

Jazmine

UNM is a great college to attend. Although the food in the dining hall is not the best it's still something. It's a fairly good sized campus, the walk from the dorms to any class on campus is not that far. Dorm life is fun, there's a lot of perks students get from living on campus, like free movies for dorm residents, free food, and free programs like ice skating, bowling, rock climbing. Greek life is fun from what I've heard but it's not huge here. Professors can be extremely helpful if you go to office hours, there's also a bunch of tutors on campus if you need extra help.

Jamal

The University of new Mexico is a good university for the price that is payed. For an in state college it is preferable over most. The teachers have regular office hours that are enforced and encouraged. Most are willing to help all who stop by. If you are struggling CAPS offers many opportunities to help with many hours to fit into you schedule. Academically you are in control based off the effort you put in.

Selena

UNM is a good campus, there is a lot of stuff in the surroundings to do, but is also a big area for crime. So I take extra pre auctions walking around by myself. I have had great professors so far who care about us students, especially inside the programs.

Christian

I love UNM! It's so diverse. Everywhere you look, you see someone different. And everyone gets along. I've never seen discrimination, bullying, or anything along those lines. It's such a friendly and inclusive campus! I've been here for 3 years now, and I've loved every second!

Kashif

This school isn't the best, in terms of what high school seniors are looking for. Academics aren't outstanding. Having a degree from here is not significant. Holds no more weight than a degree from NMSU or NMT, but holds less weight then more competitive schools like the UC's. The social aspect of the school is alright as well. Only tailgate that people attend is UNM vs NMSU. If i'm being honest it's pretty hype. But we're unlike other schools who tailgate every weekend. The school offers enough resources to be excellent if you push for it. You need initiative to find what you're looking for. That quality combined with the massive affordability for the school makes it good.

genevieve

The University of New Mexico is a big campus with diverse students. UNM has a beautiful campus that is to get around from class to class. UNM is eager to help students find what they are passionate about and succeed in that area to make a change in that world. UNM dorms are nice and comfortable. UNM makes everything accessible for the students, such as the pharmacy and the book store.

Tyelynne

Although the University of New Mexico wasn't my first choice, it's overall an above-average school. Many of the Math and English classes are small-medium sizes so you get more interaction with your professor. So far, all of my professors were reasonable and helped me understand material I didn't understand. My social life is fun since generally, everyone here is very nice. The only downside of UNM is it's location next to Central, which sometimes has sketchy characters late at night. However, it's relatively safe.

Denicia

It is a great place that is close to home. There could be some improvements but overall I'm glad I attend this university.

Brittney

It is a decent school that provides for its students. There are plenty of opportunities to get involved in activities. The teachers are pretty helpful. I have enjoyed being employed with the school for work study. You do have to do some digging in order to find what you are looking for on their websites though.

Jaiden

The University of New Mexico is one of New Mexico's shining features in my opinion. Born and raised here, I wanted out. Upon entering in my freshman year, the University was able to change my mind. Yes, we have our problems--the homeless roaming around, the funds, and mostly its unfortunate location of New Mexico (as it seems to be ranked top on all the worst lists and bottom of all the bests). No, it does not hinder the University. In fact, The University seems to prevail given its circumstance. There is always someone to contact if needed. Campus security can be on call if needed. The students stand up and voice the opinions they believe in with full support of faculty and administration. Being an "odd" myself--a major in the fine arts--I have never felt that I have been hindered. Yes, though the University may be located in the state of New Mexico to its misfortune, it stands tall and beats the odds. Yes, I am proud to say I go here. The University of New Mexico stands out in its achievements of offering a wide range of opportunities and programs.

Tarynn

Professors are passionate about what they do, and if you focus on studying the one thing you care about it is very rewarding. It is an open campus and people from outside wander where they shouldn't be and that can be very scary. The university often spends a lot of money on things that the students don't care about, like purely decorative construction projects, which is very frustrating to a lot of students. The experience of living on campus depends on the people you find. If you are surrounded by close friends, it's amazing. If not, it's very lonely.

The main campus is beautiful, lots of space and somehow smack dab in the middle of Albuquerque. Manages to remain fairly isolated even though it is an open campus in the heart of downtown which is nice. The dining hall and on campus housing is decent. Great academics.

Charlene

So far at UNM I have found that people are really friendly and there are a lot of resources for all of the students. The campus is full of diversity and a place for everyone to fit in. There is really not a dull moment at UNM and I would recommend it to anyone!

Isabella

The University of New Mexico has amazing academics. That being said, it is located in the worst part of a very dangerous town where there is not a lot to do. There is no school spirit, as it is mostly a commuter school, and campus is virtually a ghost town during the weekends and evenings. It is a good school, but if you are not from New Mexico and do not have family nearby it is not worth it to attend.

Izaac

This university is a pretty good school. It has plenty of opportunities to be used. The facilities feel a little outdated compared to the community college I had previously attended but they were still fine I suppose. Also peoples bikes around campus are constantly getting stolen or stripped of parts so that is a little odd. Nothings really been done to stop it.

Melissa

It is a very diverse school and offers opportunities for everybody. However, it doesn’t really advertise itself so people don’t know much about it or it’s activities. It has fantastic research and unusual majors for people with specific interests. There’s plenty of clubs and organizations to feel like you’re a part of something you enjoy. The tuition is very accessible, especially compared to most schools

Marlenne

I think is not bad but needs a lot of improvement. Language department in UNM is very bad. UNM only think about money, they always look for an opportunity to remove scholarships for instance if you have 2.9 of GPA and requirement is 3.00, they will reduce the money they give you. Additionally, is so unsafe, frequently you can hear many issues happening. Yet, something I got to admit is that UNM offers many services to students, like free tutoring, free bus pass, give free food once in a while, you have the right of having been able to print 20 pages for free, many clubs are available, many classes are open, more foreigners are starting to come, and more.

Michaela

Overall I enjoyed my time at UNM. There were very few people who were not from New Mexico which meant we all had something in common, but it was also a problem when it came to diversity. The school was very accommodating for students with learning disabilities.

Brenden

Being from New York, living on campus in a state other than my home state, left me feeling anxious. Within the first week of campus life, I made many fiends and felt like UNM was my home. Even now, during my second year, I continue to feel accepted and make new friends daily. If you want to make friends, especially exchange student friends, UNM is for you. I haven't traveled outside of the US, therefore I hadn't known many ethnically diverse people. I can proudly say that today, I have friends from many places, including Japan, Mexico, France, China, Germany, etc. Overall, I LOVE being a LOBO!

Brianna

I am currently going to UNM- Gallup, but I really do want to go to Albuquerque Main Campus and get that feeling of a freshman away from home.

Leslie

In my opinion, I believe New Mexico State University is a school with a wide diversity of students that allows different ideas and opinions to be heard. Just the same, it faces challenges at times but everybody works as a Las Cruces community to try finding multiple solutions.

Loren

I honestly have loved University of New Mexico since before I even became a student. I'm from Chicago so coming this far for school was already not incredibly common: I've only met about three other students from Chicago so far. Since my first semester, New Mexico has felt like a second home to me. I love the atmosphere and being able to surround myself with people that have helped me find a place where I feel as though I belong. I most recently joined a sorority that is academically based and that has made my college experience even better. Every time I go home, I talk to the juniors and seniors at my former high school and, of course, let them know about UNM and explain going far for school is not really a bad option because of my amazing experience here at University of New Mexico.

Everyone hates the University of New Mexico, but I can't quite figure out why. There is no doubt that the college town (Albuquerque) is slightly sketchy and gets more sketchy as the weather warms up. However, the campus itself is beautiful and large. The professors lie on a spectrum of "comes to class in pajamas and regularly cusses" to "has a British accent and genuinely cares about your education." Our cafeteria (loving called La Po, short for La Posada) was recently renovated and now offers a pasta bar and other stuff (I only care about the pasta bar). Despite my love for customizable spaghetti, by the second semester, you wonder why you spent so much money to eat there once a day and still get bored of it by the end of the week. Housing is great now that the cockroaches are gone, and I've only had heat strokes once or twice because the AC isn't on and it's 75 degrees outside. All in all, despite the many downsides, I love my school and the people here. UNM is the perfect place for anyone who wants to get in-state tuition and not have to suffer through the endless partying of our southern competition. Everyone's a LOBO... woof, woof, woof!

I've received an excellent education from professors with years of experience. The best part is being able to take classes during the Summer or evenings while working full time. The instructors are very personable.

N

After high school, most people want to go as far away from New Mexico as possible because after so many years, it feels as if there are so few things to do in this city. However, the University of New Mexico provides students with a greater education than most of us realize. It is one of the most affordable universities in the national, which was the only reason I chose to attend in the beginning. What I didn't realize, however, is the sheer number of opportunities for success and involvement at UNM regardless of your individual interests. Specifically, we have the Associated Students of the University of New Mexico, through which students have the opportunity to become involved in the student government, leadership organization, spirit organization, community service organization, social event organization, and that is only the beginning. Regardless of your field of study, you can get involved and meet people you wouldn't have met otherwise. Though the school needs changes in many respects, the chance for involvement on campus is one of UNM's greatest attributes :)

The University of New Mexico is a great college to attend. It does have it's flaws (campus safety being my number one concern) but the pros outweigh the cons in this case. It is a super affordable education and has many outlets in which you can express your true personality and be who you are.

I think it is a great school with friendly students and professors. The environment is conducive for learning. I like the strong Hispanic and Native American cultural heritage reflected in the school. Gathering spaces for students are adequate to promote learning

Alysha

I go to the west side campus and I love it. There is not too many people there. The teachers are great. Students stay focused in the classes. The main campus is much larger. There are lots of great resources there for all majors. People at UNM are there to help you if you need anything. There is a lot of curricular activities to do outside of class time as well. There is also a lot of great food places to go around the area.

Monica

Many people claim that UNM is "University Near Mom", however, I have never seen that as a negative aspect. For myself, it is very important that I have a strong community around me. My family is a huge help to me, but what I have grown to love about UNM is the community outside the norm. At my time here at UNM I have made many new friends as well as professional contacts that I will treasure forever. UNM to me, is less of a faceless university, and more like a family.

Juan de Dios

It is a good campus, I haven't stayed on campus since I live with parents and also sometimes it gets easy to get lost due to how big it is. Also I don't have a group, only a friend that I see once a month so I am alone in a sea of people but those who are social would love this campus.

Shirley

The University of New Mexico is a pretty big campus which means that there's so many things to do here! I feel like help is always available and everyone is always willing to help. You will be so busy making new friends and experiencing new things that you will hardly miss home.

Denise

UNM is a really great place to earn your education at a relatively cheap rate compared to other schools. It's environment is very relaxed and comforting. I feel you get the full college experience with the perks of being surrounded by like-minded people.

Maia

Its been great! Everyone wants you to be involved one way or another, and there are many options to choose from. Doesn't feel too safe at night unless in a group, but I love the school spirit! They are currently updating a lot of the buildings and residence halls and they are looking nice!

Josie

This university is good place to attend for academics. There are many different disciplines to choose from. The learning environment and professors are wonderful for a good education. It is also in a great city to attend. It is located in a city that has many options. There is public transportation, plenty of stores and shops around the city for whatever you need. It is also a great location for lots of indoor and outdoor extra curricular activities. Whether you stay in town or drive an hour or two to surrounding places like Santa Fe, Taos for lots of outdoor exploring. For those who don't like the outdoors, there are lots of coffee, tea, bakeries, smoke and comic shops. Also lots of art galleries, museums, board game places, breweries to go and visit.

Makayla

It is a great campus! There is a lot of opportunity available and all the students are very nice and helpful. I would recommend this campus to New Mexico students. It’s a clean campus, it is rarely a mess. Everyone is so helpful and caring. I can’t wait to go to school here!

Ricardo

UNM is okay, It could be better by improving student to teacher relationships. To many teachers act like your just another number not a actually student. UNM seems to be a business not a school. They try to charge you for anything. There is never any parking spots. Their could be more student activities. In the end it's what you make out of it, If your going to UNM because its cheap and you don't have other options then okay but theirs better schools then UNM by far.

Anne

The campus itself is beautiful, and the school is well accredited. Some parts are outdated, but that's part of the New Mexican charm. The classes vary in size from less than ten to more than one hundred. The main issue I have with the campus is the dangerous area it is in. It's by no means safe, being in the center of town, and it can get even less safe at night. I recommend carrying around mace.

mayra

affordable school with many opportunities to get involved. the classes are fun, and some are small which is great for people who like more interactions in the classrooms. the food is amazing, there are a lot of restaurants outside of campus that are walking distances or a couple of minutes away. the school is also very involved in sports and the games are entertaining.

Tristan

The University of New Mexico offers a fantastic education in a variety of fields. It holds an amazing psychology program and I've heard wonders about its medical school. UNM also appreciates the arts, and houses quality photography and music classes. Overall, the University offers a good education at a relatively cheaper price. While not the best University, it definitely competes in the western states.

Ciarra

UNM is a great school for non minority students. There's a lack of scholarship for minority students of color and there's a lack of resources that are expendable to their use. UNM is a good school but lacks the proper knowledge, funding, people to make it a better school. I say this because two out of maybe 5 housings on campus they smell, they are conveniently close to each other and classes, but lack operation. The academic advisors at UNM don't really help you to get the classes that you need to get Nora to save money. They give you a roundabout so that you take classes that you don't need, they don't give you the adequate resources that you need to get your classes, or even simple advice about graduating. Only now out of how many years they have children to redo the cafeteria who had terrible food, serve the same thing every week, but still tried to have fun ideas to incorporate students like cooking classes and themed ideas.

Chloe

It's great! I haven't technically attended any classes but I am enrolled for the fall of 2017. Because of this and my on-campus visits I feel qualified to talk about how I feel about this particular university. Especially because I've lived near campus for 5 years.

Shawn

The University of New Mexico is a great place to continue your education. This place brings a lot of positivity and joy to everybody. Everyone is very helpful and the professors really do want their students to succeed. There is so many ways to get help here on campus with anything.

James

This is my first year attending college at the University of New Mexico, but I have really enjoyed my experience, so far. I enjoy my classes, the atmosphere is great and I love the diversity on campus and the feeling of acceptance. I have good professors that are willing to help when needed. I have plenty of time in between classes that I am able to sit at the duck pond and do my homework or just relax before my next class. I have had the opportunity to work ahead of my regular assignments which allows me to advance to the next level of my studies, which is a great opportunity. The University is close enough to home, that I am able to visit my family often, but also allows me to have some independence by living at the dorms at Lobo Village. The transportation is so convenient to get us to and from the main campus so we don’t have to worry about parking or the expense of paying for a parking pass. There are plenty of shops, restaurants and coffee shops near by, which make it convenient for us. I love that there is plenty of support academically and also for sports teams throughout the University. They allow us to attend most games at no cost so that we can show our support for our Lobo teams while living on a college budget. My overall experience has been awesome and I hope to continue my education here at the University of New Mexico.

Laura

UNM is a great place to meet a great diversity of people, there are people of all ages, races, sexual orientations, gender identities, etc. The greatest improvement they could make is regarding safety as it lies by a street that is known for not being the safest as well as has many homeless people.

RJ

Overall I think the campus gets a worse wrap than it really is. The academics are well respected and established, you just have to go out of your way to find opportunities to allow you to apply what is learned in the class room. The food at La Posada is fair, and even if you "get tired" of it there are plenty of other on campus shops to eat that accept your meal plan. However, UNM is in a rather rough part of Albuquerque, and dangerous incidences do occur, but usually only late at night.

Ellen

UNM has a beautiful campus. It's very unique and New Mexican, and is a university campus you won't find anywhere else. The classes are small even though it's a large university, and teachers are very approachable and accessible. For the price you pay (in state at least) it's a good college.