University of New Orleans Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of New Orleans

dayzany

I love uno campus its really great. The teachers are absolutely tremendous they help with everything and they also understand if you are going through some thing. You make really good friends with classmates online. Only because of the pandemic we can’t be more social but other than that everything is totally fine.

tyrianne

its the best school ever we learn a lot we talk to our teachers everyday they make sure our work and classes are perfect they want us tp pass and make it in life and for us to be anything we want to be. The classroom are perfect size so the teacher can talk to everybody and help everyone

Mitchell

While there may not be a lot of extracurricular things going on all the time like in bigger schools like LSU, UNO is a great place to prepare yourself for entering the real world. Party culture isn't very big here; most of the students are commuter students, or older folks who are not fresh out of high school. Due to this diversity, I believe students are a lot better informed on what to expect outside of school and focus more on their academics. New Orleans East really isn't the best place to be, especially at night, but UNOPD are always around to ensure things aren't getting sketchy. I really like how many of the professors have real-world experience; it makes for more invigorating classes and better curriculum, being that it consists of things we will actually see. Overall, UNO is a great place if you're looking to make a great career. If you're looking to party and slide by, you will probably do better somewhere else.

Christopher

The University of New Orleans has been nothing but great to me. This is not the only college I have attended but I can say it is by far the best. I have had nothing but great experiences at the University of New Orleans. The teachers genuinely care about your success. When I say success I do not just mean getting passing grades but also preparing you for the real world and getting the job skills that will let you excel in your field. The only thing the students have to do is ask and the teachers will do everything in their power to help the best they can. One example of their commitment to the students is that the other week I dropped by the professor's office to talk to him and get guidance regarding what may be the best path for me after college and we sat down and talked for about three hours and I got an enormous amount of information. Another example is how I am always welcome to get help and if it requires hours to help me then the professors do not even hesitate to do that. This is why the University of New Orleans is one of the best schools and is one of the reasons why I will succeed after I graduate.

Diamond

I like it here at University of New Orleans. Everyone is friendly. The people are respectful. I believe everyone is able to there work done and have more to do on the side. The campus activities are interactive. Everyone gets along really well at University of New Orleans. The professors are always available, whether it’s during there office hours or by email. I enjoy living on campus, because I get to interact more and I always have something to do. I believe it would be a good school for people who need one on one help in their classrooms and also for people that wants to be active. I love this school.

Lizzy

UNO is a good school if you're about academics and can't afford the more expensive private colleges in New Orleans. We're part of the UL system now and we get treated like the red headed step child of the UL system (all the funding goes to LSU), but we have great professors and staff who want to help you learn and succeed! We have students that range from new high school grads to people who are older and have gone back to school to better their career chances to older folks who just want to learn some more. I love UNO and I recommend it to anyone who is serious about their education. Plus we have a bar on campus for when classes are over. What other school can offer that?

Alexis

Overall, I'm happy with my decision to attend this school. Coming in as a Psychology major, I didn't realize what a huge focus UNO's Psychology program places on Biology and Biopsychology; biology is definitely one of my weaker subjects. Even still, I have enjoyed all the psychology classes I have taken at this school thus far. My one big complaint about this university is that on-campus housing is not a good experience. I believe the cost of housing is pricey for what you get, considering the fact that there is always something wrong with the rooms when you initially get moved into them. Student housing doesn't do their best to resolve any issues in a timely manner. In fact, for the entirety of my first semester of my sophomore year, the shower head was clogged and emitted very little water. My roommate and I went to housing several times for this issue, only for it to be resolved 4 months after the initial complaint. Not cool. All this being said, I love the environment this university has established. There are so many intellectual people here that are driven and focused, it motivates me to keep up with everyone else and be just as goal-oriented as they are. I haven't had any major problems with any of my teachers or professors, which is good of a sign as any that the university carefully selects each of its faculty members. It's a great school and I'm really proud to be a Privateer.

Emma

I like UNO a lot, but it’s really expensive to live in the dorms there. They make you pay an almost $1700 fee just to eat on campus. It’s really dumb to be honest. The dorms are mostly okay. The academics are so so. It’s either a hit or miss with professors.

Serenity

The university of new Orleans has an atmosphere that allows people to focus on school work. However, there aren't that many activities for people to socialize with other people on campus. Not only that, there are fees that discriminate against those who live off campus. So to me your depends on whether or not you want to live on campus and get to know people in a dorm. This school is a mediocre school to me. But if everyone lived on campus it would be good or even great.

Clayton

It is a great commuter school. Not worth living on campus unless you are not from the area. The academics are great offering a wide variety of opportunities and the professors are there for you and are concerned about your success. It's also located on the lake front and is in one of the most beautiful and diverse cities in Louisiana.

Kirsten

The school is a lot more academically challenging than the statistics lead on. Even though the campus is in New Orleans, it is very isolated from the more dangerous and cultural parts of the city. School spirit is not a big thing here because it is a commuter campus.

Aaqib

I love the University of New Orleans. I love it for their academics, their facilities, their whole look of building structures and even the diversity of the students. If there was anything to complain about, it's the cost of tuition, but that problem arises at any big college. The food, the events that take place, and the teachers, make the college an even better place to study at . I believe that a college should be the best with academics and facilities for students but also have things available to do on students' leisure time. This makes college an experience and a relaxing place for students to learn and become the best version of themselves, while making social connections and building a persona for their future. I'm proud to say the University of New Orleans can provide that for their students.

Carmen

The University fo New Orleans is one of the most diverse schools I have seen and am glad to be a part of. The academics are excellent and of course there may be teachers who you like more than others but that's school in general and all teachers and classes are different. The clubs and extracurricular activities usually fits every one which I find pleasing being that I did not partake in any during high school because none fit my interest. The food on campus goes from healthy lifestyle choices to taking a break and dine at chic fil a. This is my school. I chose The University of New Orleans for its diversity and caring atmosphere and after only being there for a semester, I already know I made the right choice for myself and for my education.

Dylan

The campus is very diverse. It had multi resources to assist you in your academics and day to day problem. The campus is easy to learn. My greatest tip would be for any student that goes to this school is to make sure you take advantage of all the resources they give you.

margaret

It's a great school (especially for the tuition) with a wonderful campus and lots of good people, but I believe the leadership's priorities are sometimes worth questioning when it comes to allocation of money. Not nearly as bad as some other public institutions in LA (LSU...) and overall I'm glad I am a student at UNO.

Brianna

University of New Orleans has a peaceful environment and most of the professors are ready to help you at any given hour. I would like to see more different types of campus food, because there is not enough of a selection and gets boring pretty fast. There should be more events that involve the students to have fun and be active.

anne

Teachers seem very jaded though there are a few gems and the process for anything in administrations is frustrating. Academic honesty is ignored and brushed to the side. The campus isn't bad and no class is more than an 8 minute walk away from another.

Irina

All very friendly and ready to help. Even any student quit their business and answer all my questions.

Gabriella

While the student base is very diverse, allowing anyone to feel welcome, there's a firm disconnect between college and student. It's not necessarily the university's fault as it serves primarily as a commuter college. As someone who lived on campus, it was a bit of a task to find things to do, connect with others, or get involved since so many friends I'd made disappeared to the North Shore over the weekends or were only there for a semester for an extra credit. The over-all feeling on campus is pretty calm, never too much noise or commotion. There is a small sense of community and faculty is helpful if you can find them--emphasis on "if".

Kathryn

UNO is a great school in a wonderful location, it is close to downtown but then again it isn’t direct on top of it. The student life is ever present with something new to do every week. The staff and faculty are always welcoming and willing to help with most situations. The campus dining is always a treat. There is always something new to try with every meal and so many other options that a student can chose from.

Lendell

UNO is a school full of digersity and fun (if you look in the right places). College is really what you make it so everyone’s experience will be different. Personally I think the University is boring most days. There are activities in some student-organized clubs, but when it comes to school-organized there are little to none.

Lendell

The University of New Orleans is a great place to be if education is your number one priority. There is diversity in the people, culture, and organizations on campus and there is something to find the interest of each individual that attends. The professors (that I have taken) always seem to care about the best interest of the students and help them in whatever way possible. UNO is a school that fits all needs.

Francesco

Small university that provide adequate resources to students. Teacher are more accessible than other bigger university. Unfortunately it is in a suburban environment which is far from the city center. It is more of a commuter school and it does not have much student life but in the recent years it has improved.

Destiny

I think it’s a good school if you looking for a place to fit in and meet tons of new exciting people. The teachers here are really accomendating and there are many great places to chose from food wise. On-Campus living is pretty great seeing as though you can have your own room and bathroom and just share a kitchen and living space with your roommate.

Jazmin

UNO is a great university for someone looking to live in the middle of New Orleans while maintaining their grades and school life on a quaint campus, if they're planning to live on campus. Don't expect huge parties to happen every week on campus. Depending on the professor, they're great with maintaining contact with individual students when approached with questions.

Mariah

I love being a student here! Everyone is mature and pleasant to be around. Teachers generally care about their students’ well being and resources are very helpful! There is always something to do or food to eat. Also staff members in the cafeteria are very professional. I am so proud to call this my collge. Go privateers!!

Tommy

University of New Orleans is a diverse campus to be in. Students around campus have a particular vibe that attracts anyone with a similar interest or talent. Being on campus of UNO is not only a place to learn and feel feel but also to feel proud to be an Orleanian.

William

UNO is an anomaly in our state--it is diverse, cultural, and academic while offering athletic pursuits as well. Being located in the amazing city of New Orleans adds tremendously to the environment on campus. It attracts intellectuals and artists who may not otherwise find a large, urban public university attractive. The administration has created a structure in which faculty and other employees support and contribute to student life.

Madeleine

Good school and very affordable. Holds up compared to other local schools but won't leave you in severe debt. It has some administration issues, but I think it's definitely worth the money. There's not much for Greek life if you're into that but there's plenty of clubs. Some buildings are old but overall the campus looks good and the people are friendly.

Joshua

This school has been great to me and was easily the best decision I could have made. I not only found amazing education that is powering me toward my goals in life, but friends and the love of my life. I debated what school I should attend and orginally planned to switch to be closer to many of my friends from high school, but I'm glad I made the decision I did.

Batwal

It really isn't a bad school and there is plenty to do to get involved. Other than that, the professors are nice and very easy to talk to (even the ones who seem like they aren't). They have many helpful things on campus that can assist students, ranging from tutoring to even a food pantry.

Vishal

Uno is the best option i cluld choose . People are helpfull intellectuals and everyone just help . Teacher are very nice to us and help in hw . Guest speaker comes a lot for pratctical knowledge about the industry and lots of cultural activites happen people from all over the world participate

For the price of the school, it is a very good school. The academics are sufficient. My department, in particular, is full of expert professors. My professors also have outside connections to the film industry in New Orleans. Networking is everything in the film industry. The on-campus room and board are good. My biggest issues are with the cafeteria food and the lack of environmental-friendly plate/silverware options.

Juan

UNO is a community college in disguised as a university. There are practically no social groups. There are small little clubs that have no more than 20 members. It is a school where you just come to receive class and go home. It a waste of 4 years where one does not gain experience in not only social skills but job skills as well. It is an easy bachelor degree on obtains. There are also no festivities where one can participate in. No sports that unites the college. We do have basketball and volleyball but in Louisiana football is the popular sport. Schools such as LSU or Grambling unite the school with a football team.

briana

University of New Orleans is a great commute school. Most people who live on campus isn't from the New Orleans area, which is good because you meet a lot of people from all over the world. UNO 's international program is a well known program. Living on campus is too expensive, which is why i'll be moving to an apartment. There are a lot of tutoring options if you're struggling in class. The main sports people support is basketball and maybe a little of volleyball. I'd recommend UNO to anyone who are strictly worried about their education. As a student, on campus or off campus you wont get the best "college life at UNO. There;s not much student involvement as a whole university. There are a lot of organizations you can join though.

Emelie

Overall, I enjoy attending the University. I especially enjoy the film program, where I spend the majority of my time in the Performing Arts Center. I have had a good experience so far, and will continue until graduation. Great experience with professors as well. Very caring.

Allison

I believe the University of New Orleans is a very good school! It is conveniently close to home and the trip is not a haul. It also has a very beautiful campus that is right by the lake! During class breaks there is always something to keep you entertained.