Florence, AL
University of North Alabama

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of North Alabama

Heather

The advice that I would give myself if I were to go back in time would be to not give up just because you think the grass may be greener on the other side. I graduated with an associate's degree and was offered a job, making what I believed was decent money. I became tired with the whole "school" situation and decided that I would not need anything higher than an associate's degree to get a good job. Now it is more than 12 years later and I am re-enrolled in school trying to finish up what I should have finished on the first time around. It was much easier to do the work back when my worries were fewer and I didn't have children to run around and support. I love my life that I have now, but my goal is to finish college before my children finish high school.

I am currently employed by the University of North Alabama. As a part of my benefits, I am able to take 2 classes at a time and I am only required to pay for books and fees. This is a wonderful opportunity for me to complete my degree and I am very thankful for the second chance to do so. My school has a beautiful campus with endless opportunities for different types of students. The thing that I enjoy most about being enrolled here is that I am able to take classes online while working and enjoying my family.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that I transferred in from a 2 year college and had 91 transferrable hours. Because those hours were from a junior institution, I am required to take an additional 64 hours from a senior institution, even though it only takes a total of 128 hours to earn a degree.

Considering I am a high school senior, I do not think that I can go back in time to tell myself about college life, but I do have a friend who has attended the college of my choice who has told me a few things about college. She told me to make sure I fill out every scholarship application as possible because you never know what you will receive. She also told me to live life as a high school senior like it is the last year of your life because in a small sense it is. After high school you are put out in the real world and expected to uphold more responsiblities than in high school. She also told me to be involved in as much extracurricular activities as possible and make sure to strive to make the best grades possible. I think that I have upheld all of these tips handed down to me by a friend who I would claim as a sister. I have been involved in almost every club available at my school as well as basketball and softball. I have also been named Valedictorian of my graduating class.

I do not think that there is a certain type of person that would not fit in at our school. Even though our school is probably 95% white, I do not think a students of another race would have problems in our school environment. We have a few Special Education students in our school that are doing very well in the school as well.

The most frustrating thing about our school is our school lunches. The school board says that the food is nutrious and tastes great, but some students do not even eat lunches. Instead of taking the money and buying fresh produce for the school to use, the board buys prebaked products that are not very appealing. The school system is making a killing off of the lunches, but will not take a portion of that money to buy nutrious foods that all students will enjoy.

Mary

UNA is unique because it provides a location dedicated not only to learning but also to enhancing the lives of the students that attend. Many of the professors are from the surrounding area and are dedicated to their students. The professors strive for their students to be the best that they can be, and the professors will not accept any student being lazy.

If I was able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would warn myself. I would tell myself that college is a whole different world. It is fun and challenging. I would tell myself that I cannot expect to be the best at everything, that would just cause a lot of strife. I would tell myself to double check friendships I had made. I would tell myself to love me for who I am and to not change for anyone or anything. If I could tell myself all of those things before having to learn them the hard way, I believe that I would have a few less "gray" hairs.

The worst thing about my school is the parking availability. There is not enough parking for the number of students attending the university. The students and faculty have a difficult time finding parking places that are a mile from the school. This problem becomes even more annoying on rainy days.

DeBora

I would tell myself to stay focus on my academics. Keeping up your grade point average is hard work and it takes dedication. I would tell myself to not go out and party to much. A student needs to balance his or her social life with his or her academics pushing the academics to weigh more than social affairs. I would also tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as I could. College life expenses are very high and can stress a student out. I would also ask myself if I was sure about the college I chose to attend. I would advise myself to go back and check out all possiblities for colleges. To end the advice to myself I would say always strive for your best in everything you do.

Just in general for any college, I feel the financial aid needs to improve. It is very complicated for any student to obtain the amount he/she needs for college life.

I would have to say there is not anything on campus to keep the student occupied during their free time. I feel it is important to balance a social life with academic life. Studying all day and night with no down time can drive a student crazy.

Cynthia

I would tell my self to relax and not to stress over classes. I would encourage myself to take time to study but to also take time to rest. Don't get involved with extracurricular actitives that do not suit my personality. I would tell myself to use caution when choosing friends; Not associate with people who pull me out of who I am as a person. I would be more aware of the people I allow to be in my personal space. Only invite those who with help edify me as a person, not raze me. I would keep a closer watch at my bank account and not assume it is not in the negative. Becareful what I let come out of my mouth and who I say things to. I would tell myself to extract from college and people what will only make me stronger. I would tell myself to be anxious for nothing, but in all things give honor to God. To be grateful and appreciative of the education opportunity that I have been freely given. I would tell myself to not be spoiled and to grow up and realize mom won't be here always.

Maci

I would be lying if I said that the fact that UNA has two live lions on campus did not boost UNA above the others just a bit, but seriously, UNA is a small campus in a small town, the teacher student ratio is not too low so it is easier to build a relationship with your professors, they are always there to help. With a campus of about 7,500 students it is not too overwhelming. Being a musician the Shoals area?s rich music culture is evident in the music department at UNA.

I took a year off after I graduated from high school to work and earn money so that I could pay for school the next year. In my first year of college I have seen the difference in maturity level between me and the other freshman, I have been out in the world for a year, I waited tables and worked retail for a year and I have seen how important it is to work hard to get an education, to go to class, to do all the homework (even if it is not taken up and ?graded?) I made all A?s and B?s my first semester because of the knowledge I got during that year off. The first thing I would tell myself if I could go back would have been to get myself in gear and apply for scholarships so that I would have less to pay out of pocket for school. I would still probably tell myself to take a year off, enjoy it and work hard. I would also tell myself to have faith in myself, and no matter how scared I am about change that I can do it and I will adapt.

The only people I would say that should not attend the University of North Alabama are people who show no interest in furthering themselves or their education and who are not willing to try and work towards a goal whether it be personal or academic. The University?s professors expect nothing but your best, they expect you to be self motivated and they do not hold your hand and guide you through your course. If someone is not willing to work and expect everything to be given to them then this is not the University for them.

Kimberly

I would definitely tell myself to try not to get sucked up into the party scene. Trying to party all the time will definitely get you behind in your school work. I wish I would have thought about this before I started my freshman year.

UNA is basically a school for people who want to have a personal and good connection with their professors. They really care and help you a lot.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that the black sorority and fraternitys are not as populated as the white ones. I really would like to join a sorority here but they aren't many people in any of them, which is dicouraging.

Christopher

The University of North Alabama is widely known for it's football program as it has many successful years.

Going back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior would be an opportunity that would help me tremendously. The first thing I would tell myself is to research colleges better. Make sure that your heart is set on the university you want to attend, and go there. Go there only if it is what you want and will like for the next 4 years. Research the schools, tour the campuses, do anything that will help you make your decision. Another thing I would tell myself is to apply for many more scholarships. College is a very expensive adventure. Any scholarship that you can apply for, apply for it, any bit of financial aid helps. Having this knowledge would help me be in a better situation than what I am now.

The type of person that should attend this school is someone who is not looking for a large campus and is also not looking for a small campus. They should be looking for a very intimate feel for a college.

University of North Alabama administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.