Florence, AL
University of North Alabama

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of North Alabama

Kimberly

I would definitely tell myself to try not to get sucked up into the party scene. Trying to party all the time will definitely get you behind in your school work. I wish I would have thought about this before I started my freshman year.

UNA is basically a school for people who want to have a personal and good connection with their professors. They really care and help you a lot.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that the black sorority and fraternitys are not as populated as the white ones. I really would like to join a sorority here but they aren't many people in any of them, which is dicouraging.

Christopher

The University of North Alabama is widely known for it's football program as it has many successful years.

Going back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior would be an opportunity that would help me tremendously. The first thing I would tell myself is to research colleges better. Make sure that your heart is set on the university you want to attend, and go there. Go there only if it is what you want and will like for the next 4 years. Research the schools, tour the campuses, do anything that will help you make your decision. Another thing I would tell myself is to apply for many more scholarships. College is a very expensive adventure. Any scholarship that you can apply for, apply for it, any bit of financial aid helps. Having this knowledge would help me be in a better situation than what I am now.

The type of person that should attend this school is someone who is not looking for a large campus and is also not looking for a small campus. They should be looking for a very intimate feel for a college.

Erin

I would go back and advise myself about applying for scholarships and grants. This was something that I never really got guidance on. I received help from my school counselor and such, but I was very confused about all of that. I think I would also advise myself to not be afraid to get involved in anything I want to in college. Back when I in high school I was involved, but still very shy and quiet. I think I would encourage myself to really explore what I want to do in the future. I have changed my major many times, and I think with a little push of telling myself what it is that I find interesting, I could focus earlier on this major. Finally I think I would advise myself to enjoy my college years and make the most of every day. What one person does on one day can impact the world in innumerable ways.

I wish I had known about all of the wonderful opportunities there are at this campus. There are sports, extracurricular activities, clubs, and other things such as campus tours, plays, shows, fraternities and sororites. This school really has an awesome array of things to get involved in. That is really what I love about UNA.

The most frustrating thing is the parking. It is absolutely impossible to find parking spots a lot of times, even in the parking garage. The guidelines for parking say that commuter students get white spaces, teacher green, and dorm red. The campus security holds the commuter students to the strict rules, but the faculty and the dorm students park in the white lines and take up commuter parking. I just wish they would enforce it so that the dorm students and faculty park in their color only.

Jennie

Don't think you're "grown up" just because you're going to college. Yes, it is a taste of the "real world" but you're still a new fish in a big pond. People will treat you differently because they don't know you. You're still going to be learning life lessons about friends, significant others, and life in general. Don't worry about what other people think about you. You just do what you came to school to do. As long as you're happy then nothing matters. Don't fall into any peer pressure because you may feel like they're having more fun, however you'll be having more fun when you're more successful. Surround yourself with real people. Not those who just think of themselves. Surround yourself with people who want to change the world even if you don't want to. Be different and stand out. You'll get noticed sooner or later.

It's based in a small town. I wish the town would cater more to the students.

Shemeka

UNA is a small and ethnically diverse campus located in a small town.

UNA is a small and ethnically diverse campus located in a small town.

Spend you time wisely. The more time you focus on your studies the better your grades. Don't be afraid to go out and socialize, but try to keep it to a minimum so it will not affect your studies. Make sure you choose your friends wisely because some friends will drag you down. During finals, make sure you take a break every now and then to keep from losing it. GO TO CLASS! Missing one day of class is liking missing a week of lectures. Never be afraid to ask a professor for help. You will be surprised how many teachers actually care about their students. Do not be afraid to be yourself. Do not feel like you have to be something you are not to make friends. The best advice of all is be a leader instead of a follower. Being a follower can end up with you going in circles trying to figure out what you want to do with your life.

UNA does not have enough academic majors. Having more majors will help students find bigger and better jobs.

Alexander

Focus, Alex! Focus! The transition is not hard. In fact, it is easy and fun. There will be so many opportunities to go out and experience the joys of being a college student, and it is great to experience them, but do not forget that studies must always come first. The rules haven't changed! It is easy in the short run to goof off with your friends every night, but, around finals, all the stress will be concentrated into a few short days and, chances are, you won't be able to get everything done and study adequately. The consequences of blowing off your schoolwork will be subtle, if not nonexistent, until the end of the semester when it will be too late! Do not let this happen. Focus, study a little every day, and go goof around on campus when you're done. If you do that, college will be both a fun experience and a learning experience all the way through. That's what college is all about anyway, isn't it?

The worst thing about my school is the fact that only French, Spanish, and German upper level classes are offered. With the world climate being the way it is, there needs to be more emphasis on foreign languages to prepare college students for the global society which they will someday enter. I believe these languages include, but are not limited to, Arabic, Chinese, and Japanese.

People who are made uncomfortable by other cultures should not attend my school. There is a huge interational student body present and, for a student to be fully involved in university life, that student must be heavily involved with foreign cultures. Japanese and Turkish students make up roughly two thirds of the international student population while European students constitute the remainder.

Tammy

Stay committed and be involved in campus life. Talk to your teachers when you are having trouble and most of all believe in yourself

University of North Alabama is best known for their athletic excellence. Our football team and volleyball team are both reknown for being the top in the Gulf South Conference as well as in the nation. UNA is also well known for their tough nursing curriculum.

Looking back I would have encouraged myself to start looking at schools early as a sophomore, junior, and senior. Especially being a college athlete it is important to visit schools and start looking early and take the recruiting process very seriously. Furthermore, I wish I would have picked a school that had a specific undergraduate program that I needed for my desired graduate major. I recommend going to orientation as a senior and trying to get to know incoming students other than athletes because alot of athletes get wrapped up in only their sport. Likewise, I would encourage high schoolers to take the ACT and SAT tests seriously and retake the test several times to get a desired score. I recommend first year freshmen to live on campus because it is easier to meet people on campus and get involved in campus life, as well as, for freshmen who are not used to being on their own and being self motivated, it encourages students to go to class and easier to make it on time by living close.

The law enforcement is really strict about underage drinking and tends to pick on athletes especially to try and get them in trouble. The law enforcement seems to be more worried about getting people in trouble and using college students as a source of payment to support the city then the well being of students safety.

Heather

DON'T WAIT, I would without a dought tell myself to not put it off. I am a 27 year old full time mom of two beautiful girls along with being a wife . I would tell myself to finish college straight out of high school and not get distracted by other activities in life. I would stress how important a college education really is ! I would explain to myself how I do need a college education inorder to be not only happy, but to be able to provide for my family . I would explain how important it is to be able to provide my children with what not only they want but with what they need. I would sit down with my much younger self and explainthat if I want to be able to travel and do all the things I dreamed of doing that the only way to do it would be by having my college degree. I would tell myself how hard it is to be a college student , mother , wife, and full time house cleaner . . Go to college and become the person we both know ourself to be. Thank You ...Heather Begley

I wish I would have known more about how to aquire my credits. Like how it takes 40 hours to finish up being a freshmen. It would have made things alot easier if I would have had someone to tell me everything that I needed to do , example someone to advise me on my financial aid and to just give me advice on classes and professors.

Anyone who is serious about their future and who is looking for a good education to heip them provide for their family.

University of North Alabama administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.