University of North Alabama Top Questions

Jose

If I was to go back and talk to myself I would tell myself that even though my older brother passed away the beginning of my senior year, that was no excuse to quit many of the plans I had. Now I am working twice as hard to get back my dreams of being successful for my mother, sisters, and myself.

Marina

Never doubt yourself, you make it out of the small town that you felt hidden in. There is no shortage of freedom and possiblities that you thought were no longer there; don't hold yourself back. Hold your head up, always smile and never be afraid to ask for help because someone will always be there if you need them. Never doubt your dreams because if you've held onto a dream this long then go for it, don't talk yourself out of doing something you love.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself not to overstress and worry so much about the small things or things that are out of my control. I would tell myself that life is a precious gift and nothing is certain,things can change and everything always has a way of working out way better than I expected. I would tell myself to appreciate relationships with my family more and really work on my attitude and not be so uptight or angry with events that happened and are not my fault, such as my parents divorce. To study more and really keep all my options open for places to attend college. I would more than anything tell myself you are beautiful and have so much going for you, don't let anyone or anything stop or keep you from achieveing great things. You can achieve anything you set your mind to and to keep postive beacuse things that were a big deal and issues or situations in high school really arn't that bad and years from now it doesnt really matter. Have fun and balance life better.

Day'Zha

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior I would express the seriousness of the college transition and education. I would advise myself to take my education very seriously. The second I stepped foot on campus I learned that college is hard work and that it is not something to take lightly especially if I am coming out of pocket for it. I also would let myself know that there are a lot of distractions that can cause myself to be sidetracked such as: friends, boyfriends, parties and peer pressure. Although having fun with friends, being in love and partying from time to time is great and part of the college life, but it shouldn't be my main focus or the reason I'm there. Lastly I would tell myself that I will learn a lot about life and people during my time in college, but I shouldn't be discouraged. I should also work hard my entire college career to stay on top of my work and grades. To never lose focus on the goal and that is to earn a degree no one can ever take away from me.

ShanDreaha

If would tell myself to make University of North Alabama your first choice. Get a summer job over the summer to start saving a little cash for you to have for the school year. Do not worry about missing your friends in high school; they would turn on you. Boys will alwasy be there, so focus on school first and you can date later. During college you're going to get off track (spirtally). So do not lose focus and always, always, always put God first.

The advice I would give to my former high school self is for me to follow my passion. I spent the first few years of my college career searching for a major that felt like work to me instead of going after what I love doing and what I was passionate about all along.

It's not a walk in the park. Late nights often turn into early mornings, and there never seems to be enough coffee to satisfy the exhaustion. It's hard to catch a break, but don't let that scare you. Whatever anxiety you're feeling, whatever doubts you may have, leave them on the graduation stage. Leave them in the box you'll keep under your bed with all of your high school mementos, because you'll want to remember them one day. Because, one day, you'll be sitting in your own apartment that you help pay for with your own hard earned money, writing a letter to yourself about college life and about how coming to college was one of the greatest decisons you ever made. College is hard, yes, but it's also rewarding. You've got dreams and this is the place to help make them come true. The people you meet will be lifelong friends, and you'll learn more about yourself in your first year than you have in your past eighteen years of life. So, don't be afraid. Be excited. Be ready to learn. Because every late night is worth it.

When you go to college dont be afraid to try new things and talk to all kinds of people. Make sure you get involved in something so you can have a fun college experience. Make sure you know how to study take study tips teachers give you seriously and pay attention in class.

Bradley

If I could go back in time I would tell myself many things. The main point I would tell myself is to slow down and enjoy the ride. While I have been in college I have constantly looked ahead and planned of the future. Now that my college career is coming to an end, I look back and realize I was way too serious at times. I would tell myself to relax and give my absolute best in everything I do everyday, and the rest of my life will fall into place like it is suppose to.

I would tell myself that life won't give you anything. I would tell myself that good things come with hard work, and the sooner you learn to work hard, the easier it becomes to work hard. I would say that i know life is hectic, but the future is what matters most, and you must prepare for it. Study harder, save more, spend the extra amount of time on that SAT prep book because it, more than many other things, decides what kind of future you may have. In my highschool years, I wanted to find myself. To that side of me I say, you will only know yourself truly when you know how hard you can work. You must learn to push your limits, not work just enough to get you by. I would tell myself that you have the potential to do many things, but not without hard work and sacrifice. For all great things come through sacrifice and hard work.

Don't fear, college is better than high school. Everyone is accepting of others. The teaching and learning style is completely different than high school. Learn to write papers and learn to do it well!

The advice I would give myself is to apply to as many scholarships as possible. I also would say that college is not that difficult and I should not have been so worried about it. That college is much better than high school and that you are allowed to be yourself more and come into contact with a diverse group of individuals.

Janae

I would tell myself to be more open. I am a somewhat shy person. I would push myself to do things that are difficult for me to do. I also would not just learn the material just for the test, but instead I would study it over and over because most of the things we learn will help in the long run. I would have not been so lazy when it came to applying for scholarships. I would have definietly encourage others more to enjoy high school as much as you can because once you graduate you may not ever see those people again.

I would let myself know that I would end up changing my major to Computer Science, transfering to the University of North Alabama, and marrying my wife. Then, I would encourage myself to start with a major in Computer Science, attend UNA first so that I could recieve scholarships for my excellent grades and ACT score, and maybe encourage myself to go ahead and marry my wife before school began (we already knew that we would marry).

Shana

No matter how hard college get, never give up and always study hard to make the best grades you can. Get involved as much as possible and make life long friends. College is great and you will have the time of you life, but remember to stay focused on you goal and do you best and you will be successful!!

The advice that I would give myself if I were able to go back in time would be to not drop out of high school. As a high school dropout it will only take me longer to get to the rewarding path that I am now on. I would explain that two years after I dropped out I went to the graduation of our friends, and it was there that I realized almost every persons name being called I have known since kindergarden and that I also should be down there. I would tell my past self that I would realize that partying and "having fun" have taken this magical moment from me and I let it. That it takes another two years to get my GED, and then another 4 years before I take on the wonderful world of college. That I will never forget the day I was officially signed up for college and on a better path of life, one that doesn't take away oppportunities but rather provides a world of them. That I will cry because I am proud of my courage. Here I am three more years later with a Associate's Degree.

Cassidy

If I could visit myself during my high school years, I would urge myself to enroll in college straight out of high school rather than postpone. And I would elaborate by letting myself know that if not, I would get exactly what I “thought” and “wished” I wanted-- adulthood, and the adult life that comes with it. However, the adult life I dreamed of wouldn't be such a fantasy if I didn't have the skills or money to sustain it. The 6 years I wasted after graduation could have been spent completing my education, rather than doing nothing to better myself. In those 6 years, I would likely have already obtained atleast a Master's level degree and be well-prepared for a likeable and great-paying career. Instead, it's 2014 and I haven't even achieved my bachelor degree yet. Education is a lot easier to obtain when children, a recession, and general adult problems aren't involved. I have no regrets and wouldn't change a thing about my life, but being an adult is inclusive of an education. The education would lead to money and growing up is what should have been postponed.

Destinee

If I could talk to my high school self about my college experience so far, I would tell myself to keep my head up and try my best. I did not have the best high school experience. I hated where I was and what I was doing majority of the time. I would tell myself to put aside the drama of high school and focus on what is really important, my grades. Since I have been in college, I have fully focused on my school work. I've never been happier and more ready to begin my future. College has granted me with a world of opprotunities and lots of friends. I have also made great relationships with my professors that will benefit me in the future. I would tell myself to prepare for the greatest and most important change of my life.

Janae

Stay focused in school work, and try to have fun, but don't let that get into the way of graduating.

Deanna

If I were you, I would get a job as soon as possible. College is a lot more expensive than you think . You are most likely going to go to a community college, so take as many AP courses as possible. Study hard before you take your SATs because we all know that you are not the best at taking tests unless you study. Visit as many colleges as possible and DO NOT apply to out of state schools because you cannot afford them. Money is vital, much more vital than you may realize. You do not need another pair of boots, because they end up just sitting in your closet anyway; save your money. College is not as hard as you think, but it still requires a lot of time management. Please consider your options, before deciding which schools to apply to. Be more confident and do not let others bring you down, because you are possible at achieving anything as long as you apply yourself. College does require being more independent but do not take advantage of it. Learn and read as much as possible. Remember that the friends your make this upcoming summer are life changing.

1) Never underestimate inflation. Take the ACT as many times as possible and study for it. 2) If you do not want to be overwhelmed, plan to work many hours so you can take fewer classes per semester, but be careful not to overwork yourself. 3) Search for the best part-time work to fit your schedule and if you need to move jobs, do it. 4) Give yourself time to do your work. Do not let yourself procrastinate to the point of being unable to give your best. 5) Do not be afraid to live a little and have fun once in a while! You may never get the chance to be as free again.

I have a baby sister who I am currently trying to pour into all my hind sight knowledge. I tell her as I would have told myself.. soak up EVERY moment, do not wish your life away! This year is going to fly by & in the blink of an eye you will be standing where I am. Remember why you are in school and where you plan to go after this chapter is over. Do not get distracted. Make good grades, but have fun! Make memories with friends you may never see again! Go to ALL your activites. Love like there is no tomorrow, but get your heart broken too! But dont lose yourself in a relationship! While enjoying your senior year, prepare for college. Education is NEVER a waste. Take any knowledge & opportunity you can take! APPLY FOR SCHOLARSHIPS!!! But most of all remember what your parents have taught you. Remember where you came from & where you are going. Always keep the Main thing the Main thing & "Be There".

Drake

Dear Drake, College is much different that you think. Please do not go into college thinking that is similar to high school. You have to study so much more. You need to speak up more and be more social to other students. Your old friends are gone. You have to take charge and make yourself happy. Please answer the phone when SGA calls for an interview. You will get in, but you just need to answer the phone. Do not be afraid. Go with confidence. Lift your head up, because you can do it. You can make it. Drake, you are great, but you just have to motivate yourself more. You will love UNA though! Go into this new chapter of your life with a more mature outlook on life. Grow up some! Love you so much, Drake, and be yourself. Yes, love yourself. Don't change for anyone! You're destin for greatness, you just have to take the oppourtunity when it's right in front of your face. Love you, man! Drake Jackson (from a year in the future)

Laci

I would tell myself that live is just beginning and to make the most of it. I would also advise myself to be the best you can be and pursue whatever your heart desires. Ulitmately it is your education that will fuel the rest of your life. The most important thing is to be happy even through the hardest of times. At the end of every storm is a rainbow. The world is rotating daily so do not get caught up in the worldly things. Just stay loyal to the blessing God has given you and folow out his plan for unfailing success.

If I could go back to my high school senior self and give myself some advice it would be to tell myself not to take the easy classes for granted. Going into college I tried to take classes that I thought would be easy and never studied, because that is how I did it in high school, but now, classes are so much harder and I don't have a good study ethic. I would also tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as possible, because books are just as expensive as classes. I would also advise myself to make some friends before coming to school. Moving into a dorm with someone I barely knew and making friends with people was a difficult transition for me. But I eventually made amazing friends that will stay with my through the rest of my life. The biggest piece of advice I would tell myself is to just go with the flow and quit worrying. Study as much as possible, make lifelong friends and quit worrying about the small things that make no difference in the long run

If I could go back in time to my senior year, I would tell myself to stop worrying and enjoy my senior year. I regret wishing away my senior year because I was so anxious to get to UNA. I love UNA, but I miss seeing my high school friends out in the hallway and in class every day. I would tell myself to slow down and take advantage of being a senior. I would tell myself to keep working hard. I did well academically well in high school and I am very greatful that my parents pushed me to never give up on my studies. If I had I would have not been prepared for college. I would tell myself that college prefessors are NOTHING like high school teachers and when they tell you that you will need to know this in college listen to them! So in summary, I would tell myself to not wish away your senior year, enjoy every second with your friends, and keep up the hard work because it is all worth it in the long run. Roar Lions!

Ashton

I have thought about this question many times. If I could go back to my high school senior self I would tell myself to try my hardest in my school work. I would have tried to make the best grades and be involved with school activities. I missed out on a lot of opportunities my senior year. I told my brother his senior year to live it to the fullest and try to excell in your school work. I would have made sure I had better study habits to carry over into college. I graduated early from high school because I just wanted to "get out of there" from the people and drama. I should have told myself to stay away from hazardous people and situations. Now I definitely wouldn't let people bring me down and tell me I won't amount to anything. I had a hard time with the transition to college. Since I went through that experience I am able to help my brother and sister with an easy transition into college. I hope that I can be someone they can look up to now. Hard work definitely pays off.

If I could go back and tell myself what college would be like I would tell myself to calm down. All through high school I was so worried that I wouldn't be able to handle college and I was so unsure where my life was heading and if I was headed in the right direction. Although I have not figured everything out yet, I have discovered that I am doing even better in college than I did in high school. I know a little more of what I want to do and I am not so worried about the unseen future. If I could go back I would tell myself to enjoy my last year in high school a little more and be more involved in high school activities because now that I have to work to pay for college I am not able to be so involved. I would tell myself to quit stressing out!

If I could go back in time to my high school senior self I would give myself the advice of never give up anything you are passionate about and make sure you go to plenty of college fairs, take every opportunity to job shadow taht you can, and never take any of your friends for granted. As for the transition from high school to college dont worry about it, its not hard or scary its like the transition from grade school to middle school. Scary at first till you realize it hold a lot more opportunities and fun within. You will make many new friends, but make sure you still have time for all the old ones too. Dont stress about the little things like how will I find my classes because there are many nice people to help show you around. Make sure you pay attention in anatomy class in high school because it will help you tremendously in anatomy class in college, practice your study habits and make sure you find a way that works for you so that you can use that to your advantage. Know your strengths and weaknesses and make them work for you.

Ufuoma

Develop a plan early using critical thought and advice from people who have succeeded in life. Work hard and always strive to learn, and improve. Live for the moment, but plan for the future. Care for your fellow man, lead with your heart, and remember what is really important in life, your family, your loved ones, and the time you spend with them.

I would advise myself to apply for tons of scholarships and to make sure i was coming out of high school with at least a 3.5 GPA that way i would not have to worry about money problems.

If I were to go back in time, and speak to myself as a high school student, I would have two simple words to say to myself, " Just breathe." Knowing what I know now about the college life, and making the transition could have made an incredible impact on how I went about my high school career. There were so many things I wish I could go back and change, and then again, if it weren't for those things happening I wouldnt be who I am today. And today, I am a better person. However, I know going back to see my high school self I would see a scared, self concious girl and all I can think of to say would be just breathe. Something I never knew I could do until I got to college. Something so simple, but yet so complex it took me this long to figure it out. So high school Stephanie, don't ever, ever forget how to breathe.

demetrice

Knowing what I know now, I would having taking advantage of my classes, teachers, tutors, and schoolwork. Staying focus is the key to succeeding in college yea its ok to have fun but make sure you take care of your schoolwork first the same effort you put into having fun should be used in the classroom and towards the assignment outside of class. In college you have to discipline yourself since there is so much freedom, you have to set a goal to get things done and still make time to have fun. Sometimes, you have to make a sacrifice there will be some days when you cant do what you want due to schoolwork. This is when you have to be mentally strong because at the end of the day you have to remember what is important and getting your degree is what you came to college for. Finally, you have to stay organize this will help you stay on top of your work, there will be somedays you will get distracted but having a planner or some type of remainder will be useful. Make sure you let your teachers know immediately if you dont understand something no matter.

Troy

I would have advised myself to study harder, to obtain a scholarship, and attend college right after high school, instead of waiting to go later in life. The best advice I could have given myself would be not to put things off till tomorrow, what you could do today. When tomorrow gets her it is today and you end up not getting it done. Waiting until mid-life to go to college and obtain a degree is hard to do. The hardest thing about waiting till mid-life to go to college is that there other issues to deal with besides just college; you have family and kids to raise, work to pay your bills – and it takes a lot away from your college schedule, whether it be study or taking less classes and taking longer to obtain your degree. Start a career while you are young, instead of working hard all your life and still not getting anywhere and end up going to college later to have the career you always wanted.

"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning to sail my ship." L.M. Alcott I would tell myself that I can't control everything, to do my best, and stay calm. Life is going to toss you around, be ready for the blows and take everything one day at a time. You weren't a traditional senior, so your experiences changed who I am, and who I want to be. I'd make sure to get it through your mind that math is important, and it just gets harder as you go along. Take your time, and don't underestimate what your capable of. Never give up on your dreams, they are what define you. Time won't change what happens, the good and bad, but it can change how you feel about yourself. Love your family, they are your greatest supporters. Dad will always love you, even if you don't agree. Your family is instrumental to your success, sadly, you cant do everything on your own. Ultimately, Id tell myself that you can do anything and everything you set your mind too. You will say you can do it, and you will. I' m proof!

Ciara

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to not stress about it so much. Coming out of high school into college can be so scary and stressful worrying about making new friends, if the teachers will be mean and if all your financial aid stuff is straightened out. I would tell myself that it will all be fine because the financial aid at UNA is very nice and help explain things and walk you through the process. The teachers are very nice but also professional so don't slack off as much as in high school because the teachers aren't going to make sure you're doing your work like in high school. The students are friendly and you can make friends by just being in the same class as someone iand saying hello. So I'd tell myself not to worry so much. College is a lot better than high school and starting college is scary but so is any new adventure.

Daphne

I would tell m high school self to start saving money. College is very expensive and paying for it has a been such a struggle. I would encourage myself to put all the money I can into a banking account. I would also tell myself to become a better critical thinker and develop a studying habit that would merit good grades. I would advise myself to choose my friends wisely and continue to pray and read the word of God.

I attended a very small, all white high school. There were 29 seniors in my graduating class. Because my high school is so small, the faculty and staff really do not make academics a high priority. Also, because I was very involved on campus and an athlete, making good grades was a breeze. Throughout high school I was a "slacker". I took my grades seriously but never really had to work hard. The first thing I wish I could tell my old me is to learn how to study. Today, I still struggle with studying in a way that is beneficial. I would also tell myself not to be to shy. Because my high school was so small, I knew everyone by name and really didn't have to worry about making friends. Coming to college has helped me to be more open to other people, whether it be their ethnicity or belief, and more open to making friends. College has not been what I expected; it has been more! I love my school, teachers, campus, intramurals, and on-campus job!

Kayleigh

Looking back seven years after high school graduation and two years after college graduation, there are many things about life I have learned. From all of these life lessons there is one piece of advice in particular I would love to go back in time and give myself as a high school senior. I graduated from Pennsylvania State University in the midst of the job market crisis. I was able to find a job within a month of graduation but it is not what I would consider a career. This is because I did not pick a major that would lead to a promising career path. I am now going back to school to become a nurse. This means going into debt with school loans while working fulltime to pay monthly bills. Therefore, the most important advice I would have given myself is to chose wisely the degree you decide to earn while in college. The economy is tough and it is important to do the research to determine what career paths are in demand. Because going to school is so expensive it is pertinent to pick a major that presents a sucessful career path for the future.

I would tell myself as a high school senior that you are going to do great things in life. Don't let your physical disability, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, keep you from reaching your goals in life! Just because you grew up in a poverty stricken single parent home doesn't mean the world will not accept you. Just because you have a disability, doesn't mean the world will not accept you. Don't let others tell you what you can and can't do. You can achieve ANYTHING you set your mind to! You ARE going to become a Fashion Designer! You ARE going to be an amazing missionary. You ARE going to travel the world and change the lives of others! This advice I give to you as you are about to go to college and have the experience of a lifetime. Don't lose yourself and stay strong! Life is only the beginning, so don't waste it! God bless you!

Looking at how I went about school and work as a senior in high school, there are several things I would tell myself had I the ability to speak to my 'high-school senior' self. First would be the problems with procrastination. I had a problem with getting tasks done ahead of time and I would find myself frustrated and overwhelmed when due dates drew nearer and nearer. Looking back, I would tell myself to at least start on everything right away, regardless of its significance or urgency. Its better to have more done now, than little done later. I would also encourage myself to read more often and to spend less time on the computer and even less time watching television. Reading keeps the mind busy and will help to increase comprehension skills when in college, making it easier to understand and retain information. I would say that getting involved in community services, school clubs, societies, and things like All-State Band or other similar groups, will help your area of experience and will not only benefit in terms of personal growth, but colleges will look upon your interests and involvment very fondly. Don't settle for good enough.

I would tell myself senior year is not the time to slack off from studying. I would make sure to apply for all the financial aid and scholarships early. I would tell myself to study everything and not just what I need to know. I'd ask more question in class and be more involved in student activities. Be sure to tell myself to that college isn't as easy as I'd thought it would be. The key to passing classes is by getting ahead in your studies. I would make sure to tell myself to be prepared forevery class.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to stop and take a deep breath. Not to worry about what to major in, not to worry about if I will fit in, not to worry about what classes to take, and not to worry about if I will fail. I would tell myself to not worry so much, that I am going to go to a great college with great teachers and I will do just fine.

Abril

To be open to different options that would affect my future.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior some advice I would give myself would be when I get accepted into college not to sign up for early classes, study hard, and enjoy life. Singing up for eight o ' clock classes was the worst thing I could had ever done while atttending college. No one told me it would be so hard getting up in the morning to go to class. Not only that, the class I had was biology I didnt know lecture would be so boing that I would struggle not to fall asleep. Then my professor would lock the door at eight o 'clock so even if I was just a little late I would miss class. Another piece of advice I would give myself would be to study often. I would study often because most professors give pop quizes on the last class material, and if you look over the material before you go to class you would be better prepared. The last thing I would tell myself would be to enjoy life and live like there is no tomorrow because lifes short and you only live once.

If I could go back four years ago and give advice to myself as a senior, I would say, “You should attend a community college before going to a big four year college. Community colleges are such a wonderful place to transition into from high school. They are fairly small, easier classes, and usually close to home. College is expensive enough, so do not waste time taking out loans your first two years if you can take your basics for much cheaper. Then, after two years, transfer to a university to finish your bachelors degree. Pay attention your senior year! I know you want to get out and move on with your life, but keep working hard so you can get good grades. Really consider what you enjoy doing so you will have an idea once you get into college. Instead of taking study hall to fill that last class spot, take a class that interests you such as art, music, or psychology. People are constantly changing their majors in colleges, which only pushes them farther behind and needing more money.”

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior in high school, I would tell myself to always do the best I can. My parents' always told me to study, it would pay off oneday. I did study as a senior, but not near as much as I should have. College is a lot different than high school. It is harder, and you are on your own. I would tell myself not to wait for my parents' to say "Katie, do your homework!" I would do it myself, without being constantly told. It is a hard transition to make. I went from living at home with my parents' and two sisters to living an hour and a half away from home in a building with about 600 people. Scholarships are hard to come by. If I would have made straight A's in highschool, I would have had a better change at receiving a scholarship. Another thing i would tell myself is to get a job as a senior. I would tell myeslf to save my money and not spend it, becuase college is very expensive.

JOSEPH

EVEN THOUGH I MADE GOOD GRADES IN HIGH SCHOOL I WOULD STRIVE TO MAKE BETTER GRADES AND I WOULD NOT LET A RELATIONSHIP WITH A GIRLFRIEND COME BETWEEN MY STUDIES.

Take some time to figure out what you really want to do for the rest of your life. Don't rush into anything. It's expensive and time consuming to go to college, and it gets harder to go back the older you get, so make sure you really think through this decision. I rushed into business college right out of high school simply because it was what I was good at. I learned really late that this isn't how I want to spend the rest of my life. Now, here I am in my thirties trying to work full time and go back to school to earn a bachelor's degree to makea career change.

Rebecca Kate

Rebecca, Pace yourself. Don't let college math frighten you; find a tutor and give yourself grace to make mistakes, every mistake leads you to know more about yourself and wisdom for the future. Give it your best shot. Take care of yourself physically and emotionally too. Exercise, get out of your head, don't sweat the small stuff and most of all have fun.