University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Top Questions

Tell us about the food and dining options.

Students at UNC tend to either love or hate campus dining, with few students on the fence. UNC has two main dining halls, one at mid-campus and one toward the south. Both have meal options available daily - burgers, sandwiches, pizza, pasta, cereal, salad - and special dishes are rotated through. Sadly, many tend to be borderline inedible. Meal plans are expensive, but it is all-you-can-eat. Southern dishes are often featured, so finding mac n' cheese, barbecue and fried chicken is fairly easy. Finding a seat is not - both dining halls are essentially standing room only at popular meal times. The dining halls have sparse hours, especially on weekends, and the south dining hall is closed between 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. on weekdays. The mid-campus dining hall has some fast-food options on the lower level that can be paid for with cash or dining dollars. Late night dining is impossible to find outside of campus convenience locations.

UNC Chapel Hill undergraduates Katy and Lindsay show us a new spin on chunky salsa with ground beef and melted cheese. Also, a delicious Teddy Graham dessert that takes 5 seconds to make.

Abby

The Pit, a dining area/food court on campus, inside and out

Abby

Interior of Lenoir dining area/foot court