University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Top Questions

The Campus Y

Lan

Singing group

The most popular activities on campus include sporting events, intramural sports, fraternity parties or functions, clubs, and other organizations.

Carolina Fever is a group for students who enjoy going to sporting events, and it is hugely popular on amongst UNC students. Greek life plays a fairly large role on campus. Intramural sports also draws a large crowd, and other popular student groups include clubs for various recreational activities, academic/service groups, community outreach groups, and various political student groups.

There really are tons. Anything from Pirate Club to Ballroom Dancing to Hispanic Culture. I am involved with the Italian Club, which promotes Italian language and culture on campus. We always have events going on, be it conversation sessions at our local Caribou or pizzeria, or having Italian nights at a local restaurant, or have movie nights and round table discussions. We have tons of school spirit when it comes to athletics, and with reason as we've done very well recently. In 2008 when we won the National Championship in basketball, students did what is called "storming Franklin." Basically everyone rushed to Franklin Street, the main street in Chapel Hill, celebrating our victory. People did some crazy things, like climb telephone poles/street signs and create enormous bonfires in the middle of the road to leap over, but it is all in good fun.

Sharon

Since UNC-Chapel Hill is known for its sports program, Carolina Fever would be the most popular organization on campus. Students can pay $20 to join Carolina Fever and that money will guarantee them two Carolina shirts. The perks of Carolina Fever are endless. If students attend sporting events throughout the year, be these events Volleyball or Basketball or even Soccer, they are given prizes. Some students are taken to away games to show their spirit in the opponents stadium. But the biggest part of Carolina Fever is the possibility of getting tickets to the pinnacle of all sporting events--the Carolina vs. Duke basketball game. Carolina Fever gives the sports fanatics and just general sports fans a place to earn points for doing what they love to do most, cheering their Tar Heels to victory.

The Greek community is very popular. There is always a fraternity or a sorority holding a 5K or a $5 dinner for their philanthropy. Dance Marathon is another big group. These students start promoting their cause months before the Dance Marathon event, and a huge number of students participate. I'm part of Her Campus UNC, an online magazine for women on campus. We talk about relationships, fashion, causes promoted on campus, events, blogs, anything the female student population is interested in. We have writers from different socio-economic backgrounds, hometowns, countries. We try and get a diverse perspective on the publication so we can attract all the women on campus. Dorms are so much fun, and you definitely have to live there as a freshman or sophomore. It's hard not to make some best friends in the dorms, and you end up doing everything together: going out, going to the dining hall, gym, soccer games, Late Night with Roy, Sunset Serenade by the Clef Hangers, an a Capella group. A lot of freshmen take the beginning drama class and you have to go to plays outside of class for it. You and your hall end up taking up 2 rows at the theater because you all have to go for the same class. At 2 am on a Tuesday, I'm out with my friends at Country Night at a bar on Franklin Street. Everyone goes. It's hard not to go out too much, because there is some kind of theme for every day of the week on the bar scene. Sundays are karaoke at He's Not Here, Tuesdays are Country Night at East End or 90's Night at the Lodge. Wednesdays are Trivia night at Top of the Hill. Thursdays everyone goes to R and R, for no particular reason. Fridays are a free-for-all to any bar, and Saturdays are the same way. It's fun, but you have to choose your nights out wisely to stay on top of school work. Frats are always having raves, themed parties, or regular, come as you are parties. Parties are essential to meeting new people and take a study break every once in a while. If you're not into drinking, there's plenty of parties that don't involve alcohol. So they generally involve dancing, socializing, playing games like corn hole. Or if you don't want to go to a party, a lot of people will go to Yopo, a frozen yogurt place, to just hang out and talk. There's the Varsity theater on Franklin which shows a couple of movies for a few bucks. Or you can go out to eat, and make a night out of it. The restaurants on Franklin are perfect for taking a long time to eat while you people watch and hang out with your friends. Late night food is the best. A lot of restaurants stay open until 3 am. Franklin never really gets boring. Off campus there's Southpoint mall, which has everything. It's also a nice place to go to get away for an afternoon. There's also an outdoor Recreation center off campus, which has trails, tennis courts, ropes courses, and disc golf.

The Greek community is very popular. There is always a fraternity or a sorority holding a 5K or a $5 dinner for their philanthropy. Dance Marathon is another big group. These students start promoting their cause months before the Dance Marathon event, and a huge number of students participate. I'm part of Her Campus UNC, an online magazine for women on campus. We talk about relationships, fashion, causes promoted on campus, events, blogs, anything the female student population is interested in. We have writers from different socio-economic backgrounds, hometowns, countries. We try and get a diverse perspective on the publication so we can attract all the women on campus. Dorms are so much fun, and you definitely have to live there as a freshman or sophomore. It's hard not to make some best friends in the dorms, and you end up doing everything together: going out, going to the dining hall, gym, soccer games, Late Night with Roy, Sunset Serenade by the Clef Hangers. A lot of freshmen take the beginning drama class and you have to go to outside plays for it. You and your hall end up taking up 2 rows at the theater because you all have to go for the same class. At 2 am on a Tuesday, I'm out with my friends at Country Night at a bar on Franklin Street. Everyone goes. It's hard not to go out too much, because there is some kind of theme for every day of the week on the bar scene. Sundays are karaoke at He's Not Here, Tuesdays are Country Night at East End or 90's Night at the Lodge. Wednesdays are Trivia night at Top of the Hill. Thursdays everyone goes to R and R, for no particular reason. Fridays are a free-for-all to any bar, and Saturdays are the same way. It's fun, but you have to choose your nights out wisely to stay on top of school work. Fraternities are always having raves, themed parties, or regular, come as you are parties. Parties are essential to meeting new people and take a study break every once in a while. If you're not into drinking, there's plenty of parties that don't involve alcohol. So they generally involve dancing, socializing, playing games like corn hole. Or if you don't want to go to a party, a lot of people will go to Yopo, a frozen yogurt place and just hang out and talk. There's the Varsity theater on Franklin which shows a couple of movies for a few bucks. Or you can go out to eat, and make a night out of it. The restaurants on Franklin are perfect for taking a long time to eat while you people watch and hang out with your friends. Franklin never really gets boring. Off campus there's Southpoint mall, which has everything. It's also a nice place to go to get away for an afternoon. There's also t

Chad

The most popular organizations are Greek life, Minority Student Recruitment Committee (MSRC), Dance Marathon, Relay For Life, and Carolina Union Activities Board (CUAB). Greek life includes fraternities and sororities. MSRC works to recruit more minorities to apply and attend UNC. Dance Marathon and Relay For Life are both philanthropic efforts. CUAB hosts many events on campus to cater to students such as concerts, speakers, and comedy shows. I am involved in greek life, MSRC and CUAB. Along with that, I'm a Senior Marshal. Other popular student activities include sport events, especially football and basketball, and going out.

UNC literally has any type of student organization you could possibly think of. There are all types of religious groups (I guarantee you haven't even heard of some of them), intramural and club sports teams, fraternities and sororities, fine arts groups, etc. There literally is a club/activity for everyone. Sports at UNC are a big deal. Because UNC basketball is historically very competitive, students and faculty members get very excited when basketball season rolls around. Football and basketball games are always packed, and other types of sports events are well-attended as well. School spirit is intensely high at UNC. Because the student population is so diverse, I guarantee you will find a social scene that fits your needs. You will have no trouble finding a group of friends to hang out with on weekends, whether you're into partying until the wee hours of the morning or staying in and playing Scrabble.

I am actively involved in two of the biggest on-campus events UNC's Relay for Life and UNC's Dance Marathon. These events are my favorite weekends of the entire school year. The people I have met through these causes and the people I have helped along the way remain close to my heart. The American Cancer Society's Relay for Life helps raise funds to support cancer research, education, advocacy, local programs, and services for cancer patients and their families. All proceeds directly go to those in need and many of the earnings are donated to the N.C. and Duke Hospitals. The money raised for UNC-DM benefits the N.C. Children's Hospital, which is located on campus. I especially enjoy the opportunities I have to visit the kids and interact with them in the pediatric playroom. My work I do at school with Relay for Life and Dance Marathon shapes the philanthropy I do at home and in my community and has left me a more mature, appreciative, and compassionate person. UNC provides countless ways to give back through service and thousands of passionate students participate in worthy causes such as these two.

Sports are a big deal at UNC. Our athletic department is fantastic, so there is always a huge fan base at sporting events, especially basketball, football and soccer games, There are also a ton of intramural sports teams, ranging from lacrosse to underwater hockey. There are more than 500 clubs at UNC for everything under the sun. There are religious organizations, activist groups, student government and so much more. Personally, I am a member of the Marching Tar Heels, so a large percentage of my time is spent either practicing music or playing at a sporting event (and I LOVE every moment of it!). I'm also the Editor in Chief for a campus magazine and am a member of Student Government's Public Relations team. There are so many activities for so many interests--it's impossible not to find something you'd like to get involved with. Greek life is also very prominent here, and there are always plenty of things going on with the frats and sororities. The party scene is also pretty big here, but there are also a ton of things to do that don't involve alcohol or clubbing. At any given moment, there is some sort of theatrical, musical or artistic performance going on, be it professional or student-led (props to being a Liberal Arts University); world-renowned speakers frequent the University for different lectures and mingling events; there are tons of fundraising and community service events to get involved with as well, ranging from the Hope Garden (a sustainable project designed for people to grow their own produce) to Habitat for Humanity to Dance Marathon; there are also free movies shown on campus every weekend.

There are many fundraisers on campus for students to participate in. There are many sorority and fraternity fundraisers, such as pasta dinners, trunk shows, 5k runs and bar nights to raise money for philanthropies. The arts are also popular arts groups on campus including theater, dance, improv, comedy, acting, etc.

Intramurals are very popular. Also, there is never a shortage f interest groups. You could probably find a club here for underwater basket-weaving. There is something for everyone.

Zoe

Definitely the Campus Y - the center for social justice on campus. It's chalk full of students and organizations that aim to better the world around us by helping the homeless population on Franklin Street to access financial services, raising awareness about human rights, building schools in Uganda, doing relief development work over school breaks, and much more. Plus it's the nation's oldest student movement - it's been 151 years!

Sport, sport, and .... sports.

Walker

On Dec. 9th, 2008 in order to break up the stresses of fall semester exam week, UNC students flash raved their Undergraduate Library. Without warning to those that were unaware, hundreds of students packed the library lobby and brought it hardcore for over 8 minutes. Filmed and Edited by: Walker Sigmon

A senior discusses why his best decision freshman year was joining the Campus Y, a service organization on campus.

Shanon

I didn't go to UNC for my freshman & sophomore years and I did not involve myself too much on campus the 2 years I was there besides class, Interfaith board, and basketball. Greek like is something that is very visually present, but I don't think I interacted with more than 5 people the 2 years I was there who were in frats or sororities, so it's a pretty separate world. Partying is definitely a very common activity at UNC, but there are plays put on by UNC or shows at Cat's Cradle in Carrboro. There are definitely things to do that don't involve drinking, but it is something you have to decide consciously.

Popular campus organizations - the Daily Tar Heel, student government, Young Democrats, College Republicans, BSM (Black Student Movement), Campus Crusade, Intervarsity, Pauper Players, LAB theatre, dozens of a cappella groups and much, much more. Every year before the first day of classes is Fall Fest on South Road, where nearly every student group is represented. Lots of fun, free stuff, free food, and entertainment, and a great place to meet people and find out about orgs you might be interested in joining. Halloween on Franklin Street is always really big. You should go out at least once if for nothing else than to see people's costumes. Sports are a really big deal at UNC, in case you were unaware. If you are a UNC student who doesn't care about sports, either find a group of friends that also doesn't care about sports, or just don't vocalize that apathy too much. I think sports are dumb, but I was still always happy to see UNC beat Duke.

At UNC, people work hard and play hard. I met all of my closest friends in my student housing and then at my off campus apartment complex. Greek life seems to be the way that people make the most friends. Basketball games are the most important events that go on at chapel hill, not to mention the most fun. There are tons and tons of speakers and performances for students, usually free or very inexpensive.

joe

i guarantee you will never be bored here unless you lock yourself in your dorm, and even then you will most likely be invited by your ra/suitmates for a pickup game of something on the quad. i would guess maybe 40{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} are greek, but, minus the occasional seersucker suit, most of the guys are pretty lowprofile. however it seems that sorority girls only own tshirts from various functions and they stand out a lot more. on the weekends there is a plethora of activities ranging from pickup basketball on various outdoor courts, a huge athletic complex, collegiate athletics, lunch on the quad, franklin street, bars, frat parties, or (i would guess the biggest) partying in dormrooms. if you dont want to drink there also 2 movies every fri and sat night in the union for free, not to mention a paying theater on franklin. i have many friends who dont drink and the religious groups on campus usually have alternative activities.

I'm currently a member of the UNC Mens Rugby club. It was one of the smartest things i've done coming to UNC. The members are all really close and very welcoming to freshman. I also am a photographer for the Daily Tar Heel, even though i don't own my own camera, i still was able to join and use their equipment. The biggest assignment i had my freshman year was when they sent me to Maryland to photograph the UNC field hockey team winning the NCAA tournament.

Gene

Again, this was covered somewhat in previous sections, but I'll hit some high points. I think I read a statistic that once said that at any one time, 13{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the student population of UNC has had something to drink. I don't know if that's true or if I even remember it correctly, but nonetheless, drinking predominates the social scene at Carolina, even though we are supposedly a 'dry campus'. But, be wary because pretty much all of my friends received drinking citations during their freshman or sophomore year. But, if drinking isn't really your scene, there are plenty of other things to become involved in. A lot of science majors become involved in some type of research with faculty or with people at the medical and dental schools. There are a ton of religious, cultural, or political groups that are highly active on campus. And, most students at UNC are healthy and like to stay active, whether it be an IM basketball game or just taking a run around campus. Either way, there are definitely options from which to choose if you are looking for something to devote your time to, although, you may not have much left after you finish studying.

Kai

I don't participate in UNC social activities.

trevor

football and basketball season = pregame party, craziness at the game, party afterward. unc is definitely a drinking school, as many students drink at least once a week at parties. u can find a party to go to basically every week thurs - sat. there are many bars in the area, and a few clubs. players is the most popular, but if u are a female don't go alone unless u want to get hit on by thirty year old townies. halloween is always crazy with a giant impromptu parade of costumes every year on franklin street. I'm heavily involved in student television, which is public television that is student produced for the local area. if u have an interest there is a student group for it. unc is all about the extracurriculars.

As a freshman, you will probably want to live on South Campus (with the dorms of Morrison, Hinton James, Craige, and Ehringhaus). These dorms are almost exclusively filled with freshmen and sophomores, so it's nice to always be surrounded by your friends and people with whom you'll have your classes with (at least initially). Most people are involved in some sort of club or activity, and there are HUNDREDS of things to choose from to be involved with on campus. The list is almost endless, and it's likely that everyone is able to find at least one thing to join that they're interested in if they want to. But at the same time, it's still fine not to join anything, and still have a good time. I wasn't really a part of any clubs, but I did take part in my religious faith and go the gym, which was enough for me. There really is something for everyone here. The Greek scene is big here, but it's not all-encompassing. About half of my friends joined a frat/sorority, and about half of them didn't. Either way it didn't matter--there's not any kind of rivalry or anything between people who are Greek and people who aren't, it's just a different style of living. But as someone under 21, most people will go to frat parties on the weekends (especially if you're a girl), or will have parties in their dorms. If that's not what you're into, there are plenty of coffee shops around Franklin Street to go hang out at, and people would hang out in each other's dorm rooms just to talk, watch movies, play games, etc. There are also movie theaters and performance theaters around, and sometimes just walking around campus at night can be really fun. Almost every night of the week some club will be giving a lecture, performance, party, or event that you can attend (and it usually supports a good cause of some sort). The gym (SRC) is open late as well, and a lot of people would work out at night because it was less busy then. I will say that if you come to UNC knowing absolutely no one, be prepared to have to try harder to make friends. A lot of the people that come here are in-state and usually know at least a few people beforehand, so it's a little less intimidating. All of my close friends in college I met through a few mutual friends that I had known previously.

matt

There are pretty much activities for any kind of person at UNC. The university is pretty much like a little society, because there are so many different kinds of people, I don't think there's one category you could put a large group of people (though there do exist superficial categories like frat-boy, sorostitute, and jock).

Alecia

Campus activities can suit your every need. It just depends on what your looking for. The most popular groups are somewhat politically related. Fraternities and Sororities are a large community, but they do not have an overwhelming influence on the campus. There are plenty of games and activities to do that are clean and fun on a Saturday night. There is an activity center in the Union, game night in dorms and various other activities.

Dorm life is really open - I met my best friends during the first week of my freshman year in the dorms. I can't count how many times the girls in our suite got together with the guys suite down the hall for movies, late-night pizza, getting ready for basketball games, or just hanging out no matter what time it was. Even though UNC is a pretty large campus, it's surprising how soon you start to recognize a lot of faces as you walk through campus. Towards the end of the year, it's hard to go anywhere without knowing someone!

Seth

You meet your core friends by surrounding yourself with people who share your passions. You get involved in a community that is working with something you care about. My sophomore year I tried out for a group of a cappella (voice-only) singers: Psalm 100, and made my best friends. I also got onto the UNC varsity fencing team and had another group of people I got connected with. By finding somewhere where people are doing what you love and diving in, you make your best friends and have people to walk the college path with you. Also... don't leave your dorm room door closed!

bars, frats, houses

Dorm life depends on which dorm you are placed in. The freshmen high-rises (Morrison, Ehringhaus, Craige, and Hinton James) are very social, with suites of 6-8 students. The hall-style dorms vary depending on the people on the hall. I had a hall-style dorm my sophomore year, and I didn't like how quiet it was and the fact that I didn't get to know many people on my hall. However, on one of my best friend's hall, they all went out to dinner all the time and played games together and joined intramural teams together. So it really just depends. It's your job to be proactive about being social. Men's basketball is by far the most popular sport on campus. Getting tickets to games is decided by a student lottery, and more often than not, you'll lose. But a determined student can ALWAYS find a way to go. Most people go to football games, but we aren't very good, so people usually go for the sake of getting drunk on a Saturday afternoon. Dating in college sucks. Some people get lucky and actually develop relationships, but most people I know just have hookups (I use the term loosely - it doesn't have to mean sex) and have people of the other sex that they are associated with but not necessarily in a closed relationship with. I don't blame Carolina for the lack of a real dating scene; to me this seems to be the trend at all colleges. Freshman year, most people's closest friends are the people they live with or the people they hung out with at orientation. For some people, this continues on throughout college, but for most people, new friend groups are formed as they no longer live in the same suite. I had various friends freshman and sophomore year, from dorms, clubs, etc., but my best friends were formed when I joined a co-ed business fraternity on campus. These friendships lasted because I saw those people more often (they were in my classes, etc.), because we had similar interests, and because the social scene changes a lot when you are able to go to bars (either because you are 21 or have a decent ID). As a junior or a senior, if I was awake at 2am on a Tuesday, there was a 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} chance it was because I was coming home from the bars. Tuesday is a fun night to go out, with lots of bars having great drink specials. The saying is that Tuesday is the new Thursday. Freshman and sophomore year though, I probably wouldn't have been awake at 2am on a Tuesday night, because I don't like to study late at night. If I had a big test on a Wednesday, I'd get up early that morning to study rather than stay up late the night before. Some annual Carolina events include Homecoming (lots of alumni come back for the football game, and there's usually a concert for students that weekend), Late Night with Roy (begins at midnight on a day in October - it's the first time the basketball team can officially practice and Stuart Scott hosts the event), Halloween (it's HUGE on Franklin St - get your costume ready!), and this year SpringFest, which featured Boyz II Men. Fraternities/sororities are far more important freshman and sophomore year than they are the next two years. Frat parties provide the main real party scene for freshmen, which gets old quickly, but once you are able to go to the bars, or your friends off campus start having house parties, you don't have to worry about that anymore. What can you do on a Saturday night that doesn't involve drinking? Chapel Hill has a great local music scene, so there are always concerts to go to. There's also an independent movie theatre on Franklin St. which shows great films if you don't want to see the blockbusters out at Southpoint. I guess a lot of people who don't drink become friends with others who don't drink, so they create their own fun, but I don't know much about that.

Emmerson

Dorm halls and suites are the basic social unit at UNC. That being said, not all halls or suites are particuarly tight. Franklin Street is the basic gathering place. You'll find bars and restaraunts that suit your and your friend's needs pretty easily. There's also Southpoint Mall in Durham for shopping. The arts scene is great. Please attend plays or concerts, either at school or at Cat's Cradle.

TJ

- Carolina Fever, which is the sports club, is extremely popular. - The social scene on campus is always fun. Whether it is big parties, athletic events, concerts, or even comedians there is something to do. - Parties are extremely fun at UNC. We kinda throw down. - The sporting events are a huge deal. Plus if we're playing Duke its even bigger.

Most students there first year live on campus, some live on campus their sohphmore year, but most people move off campus after their freshman year. One of the main activites on campus is UNC basketball. Everyone goes to the games or at least cheers them on from a TV somewhere. The dating scene is rare unfortunatly, most people 'hook-up'. MOstly girls hangout with girls and guys with guys (it kinda sucks). I met my closest friends through sorority and through club sports. People party every tuesday, thursday, friday and saturday night. Most people do go out. Sororities and Fraternities are inportant to those who are involved in them, but not to other people.

Allie

Athletic events are sometimes the reason people come to school here. Clubs and activities are in the 500s . Extracurricular activities are constant and always fun. Fraternities and sororities are everywhere and to some people very important. Most night life includes bars. We do have a movie theater and a mall close by. Dorms are chill but private. The dating scene is good, people getting together all the time and most importantly making friends everywhere. People party EVERY night!

There are so many activities at UNC to get involved with at UNC. The best thing to do is to attend Fall Fest before school starts and learn about all the organizations and attend their meetings.

If you can name something you do, there is a club for it at UNC. Dancing, singing, martial arts, sports, school subjects... everything. From traditional irish dances to the society of physics students, UNC literally has it all. There are a host of organizations and UNC does an excellent job of making every single organization known (check out Fall Fest, at the beginning of every school year!) Franklin street has food, movies, bars, shops, etc. There are socials, parties, interest meetings, dorm life (EVERYone should live in a dorm AT LEAST 1 year). 2-3 hours to the NC mountains. 2-3 hours to the NC beachs, athletics rules at UNC (revamped football team. top basketball team, top baseball team, top womens soccer, top womens field hockey... you get the idea)

Ryon

UNC is definitely a very social campus. On south campus most of the suite doors are always left open so that people can go and visit each other. On north campus room doors are often left open on the hall so that you can stop by and chat while making your way to your own room. Granville (which isn't actually owned by UNC) isn't as open as the dorms, but they do have "social gatherings" occasionally. Granville is characterized as the "place to be at UNC", but is mostly inhabited by frat boys and sorority girls since it's beside frat court and has expensive parking spaces. There's always something going on on campus and if you get bored being there, there's a bus which can take you for $4 roundtrip to Southpoint Mall (the best everrr!) which has everything from cheap chinese to the cheesecake factory and a theater with like 12 different movie selections. However, there are so many restaurant selections on Franklin (and a theater) that Southpoint is only necessary for those necessary shopping splurges.

The sport clubs are pretty popular but very time consuming so some students that are into sports just go for the intramural ones. There are many different organizations on campus so there is something for everybody. There are many cultural events. The frat and sororities are pretty big too. Franklin street pretty much makes the party scene. There are many clubs down the street so there is always something to do if you want to party.

Gene

Sporting events are big, basketball the biggest, football great too,and the most underrated but fun game to go to are the baseball games. There is over 500 different student groups from club roller hockey to BSM (black student movement) and like any college there is a lot of alcohol running throughout the system. The girls are average looking on the whole, probably due to the difficulty of acceptance at the school, but the attractive ones are heads better than those at many other schools becuase they are usually smart and have a lot more to offer than just looks.

Things like Dance Marathon, political groups, and club sports are pretty common. Also, many people are in a sorority or fraternity. I myself am in a co-ed service fraternity called Alpha Phi Omega. We have weekly meetings and events we have to attend and must complete a certain about of service hours each semester. Its a great way to meet people and get involved in the community, plus community service looks great on a resume. Athletics are really popular and people get really into it, while theater is not quite as popular. Living in a dorm the first year is a great way to make friends and meet potential romantic partners. My current best friends and boyfriend lived in the same dorm with me my freshman year (I'm now a senior). Bars and restaurants on Franklin St are also good for meeting people. There is certainly a good amount of drinking that goes on, as there is with any college, but you can always hang out at a friends house, go to the movies, go out to eat on Franklin, etc if you aren't into partying all the time. However, Chapel Hill is a pretty small town so there really arent a lot of places to choose from that are not bars.

Again, there is something for everyone. Personally, I am in the Triathlon-club. It is really laid back. It is just a good way to keep connections with people I have something in common with. We get together for training sessions, but there are no mandatory practices or meetings. The most popular sports to watch are Basketball and Football. After that there are Baseball, Soccer, and Field Hockey. Sororities and fraternities are not all that important, but the student-body does depend on them to make rush-week a party-haven. Like everything else, there is a variety of things to do involving parties. I have heard of people that go to a different bar every night, and I have friends that don't party at all. There are other things to do at night, and the dorms often have their own things planned every couple weeks. Get to know your hall-mates, they can be an endless source of enjoyment.

Amelia

I wouldn't describe UNC as a party school. While people definitely know how to have fun, you're not going to see much activity on a Wednesday night because most people will be studying. Fraternities and sororities have a definite prevalence on campus but with about 10-20{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the population involved, it's not the norm. Come basketball season, the entire campus transforms into NCAA madness. It is without a doubt the most popular team on campus. Clubs often cancel meetings because of important games, and tickets to home games are worth their weight in gold. Even if you don't like basketball, I would register for tickets, because you're pretty much guaranteed a date with the person of your choice.

Maya

The most popular team on campus in Men's Basketball. Fraternities and Sororities are also very popular at UNC. Athletic events are extremely popular at UNC, as well as other events such as guest speakers or theater. The dating scene is not to great. The ration of girls to boys is 60:40. A lot of the people who come to UNC are coming with their friends from childhood. This is sort of intimidating when trying to make friends. Luckily, my closest friends were my suitemates who all happened to be out-of-state. If you're awake t 2am on a Tuesday, you are probably studying. Every year, there is a huge Halloween parade on Franklin Street. Another big event is Late Night with Roy. Fraternities and sororities are a big part of social life at UNC. However, it is not required that you join one to have a social life. The good thing about UNC is that it is very close to Duke's campus, and there is even a free bus. If there is nothing going on at Chapel Hill, there most likely is something going on at Duke's campus.

Maggie

We are pretty social as a campus. Dorm doors are left open in some communities and not others. It all depends on the community that year. The best way to find the clubs you're interested in are going to the Pit in the first few weeks of fall semester as well as Fall Fest- the night before classes (if i remember correctly) where all of the clubs have stands and you can learn more. As I mentioned earlier, people do join a LOT of clubs, but after a few weeks, membership drops down to one or two clubs that people meet others they enjoy and find the club to be their fit. Frats/Sororities aren't too important bc in a way, the student body is very reminiscent of those who might be interested in Greek life. So, if you're up for paying a ton, you can to join...but it isn't necessary. Partying can easily be found on weekends but it isn't an expectation of students. So, if you're into that scene you can be...it's a personal choice. An example of the last few weeks for me last semester: I went out for coffee with a friend and was invited to a party where I went but then the rest of the week I spent studying with different groups. I ended up over at NC States with friends and their old buddies and we had an entertaining weekend of a party and going out for breakfast. But then, for the final week, we all buckled down and worked on papers and studying for exams. When finishing my fourth and FINAL :) italian exam, I went out for a drink with a few girls from teh class as a form of celebration. Yet, bc this was the end of the year and it was warm- we were going out more often. When the weather wasn't as nice, I could be found in the dorms, in pjs with friends watching Movies, eating ice cream and going out for the occasional off campus dinner or have a in-dinner night where we cooked our own home style meal. So, i have a variety of ways spending with my friends.

Rose

Social opportunities and activities are endless at UNC. We've got Franklin Street which is full of bars. There are always concerts (campus groups and non-student bands), plays, comedy shows, etc. to go to. We have a free bus called the P2P (Point to Point) that runs every night from 7 pm to 3 am between the dorms and bars and around campus, so you never have to drive! That's what's great about UNC. Everything you could want or need is in walking or biking distance. And if you don't feel like walking or biking you can always take a bus (all are free). That way, you can avoid drunk driving and wasting gas money.

Basketball is the most popular spectator event, and is a wonderful way for the campus to draw together and show Carolina spirit. There's always something to do at UNC, including parties, plays, sporting events, and speakers. Halloween night on Franklin Street is huge, and something every student should experience. As is Franklin Street after a Carolina basketball win over Duke or a national championship :) Fraternities and sororities are good ways to create a social life, but definitely not necessary or a majority.