University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Top Questions

Before coming to Chapel Hill, I wish I had known how to do my own laundry. Coming from a secure home situation, I'd never had to do my own laundry before and I was pretty nervous about messing everything up the first time I went down six flights of stairs with all my dirty clothes. Also, I wish I had learned how to use an ATM. When I got to school, I realized I had been dependent on my parents for helping me through life, and this university has helped me become a more independent, functioning member of society.

Gloria

It's not really about the school. Don't focus on the things back home and to never let another indidvidual control you.

Nneka

The signifigance of the Weed Out system. The classes are made delibritely to cause those who are not serious about the STEM majors to drop out early on.

Choosing an important minor may help you if you want to change careers later on in life

Annalisa

I wish I had known about the many resources available to me. Instead I learned of them over my years of studying there.

I wish I had known about all of the amazing opportunities UNC has to offer so I could plan out my first semester here! There are so many student organizations and they are all fantastic. There is something for everyone, and if you can't find anything you like then you can make it yourself. That's the beauty of Carolina. Look into all of the clubs, groups, and organizations before you get here so you have a plan of action and an idea of what you want to do when you arrive on campus.

I wish I had known that it was 70{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} female and 30{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} male!

Anish

I wish I had known how amazing this school was. It was because of financial reasons that I came, but its perfect for everyone.

That it was going to be so hard. I also wish that I had known that the job market in this area is so competitive. I would planned a little better had I known that. I also wish that I knew it was going to be so hard to get into the better classes.

I would like to have understood the registration process better, and known more about financial aid. The housing process could have been better by making available different model rooms to view , because I had no idea that in the suite style dorms each floor was completely coed. I was not able to see individual floors and their different configurations in the different dorm buildings. There was only one dorm room available for viewing.

Todd

I wish I had realized the importance of consistent, thorough study habits. Unfortunately, I had distractions and found that I could "coast" in a few classes and still make early admissions to UNC. However, the reality was that I wasn't well prepared to succeed in the challenge of undergraduate coursework. Better focus on study habits during high school, with a commitment to keeping my best performance, would have given me a more solid foundation. It's not enough to graduate in the top 5{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of your class, especially if you are giving less than your best in the process.

Ellen

I wish I would have had a more defined view of my goals and aspirations in terms of involvement within the university. I feel as though I missed out on submursing myself in the multitude of opportunities in the beginning because I was overwhelmed by the options and did not know where to begin. As I have discovered more about myself this has become easier and I am now more certain of the ways in which I want to become an active member of my university's community.

I wish that I would have known about how difficult some professors make college courses. I have never been a person to blame teachers for a grade that was not to my standards, but I have experienced professors that have not been as fair as I imagined them to be. Yet, this has not discouraged me from my life goal of going to medical school and becoming an orthopaedic surgeon.

sarah

I wish I had known that it would be a little harder to fit in. I feel like there is an unspoken resentment to those who are admitted that are not from North Carolina.

It would have been nice to really know all of the connections and helpful departments that are available through the staff and a student's peers.

Rhiannon

What I wish I would have known before I came to UNC-Chapel Hill is that although I was an Honor Roll and Junior Marshal student in hgh school, college classes are very intense. In high school learning came easily for me which caused me not to have to study much to maintain my high grades. Because I did not acquire good study habits in high school, I have struggled my first semester in college. I am having to learn how to study correctly and manage my time accordingly. My time must be spent on studying to achieve my goals.

Ebony

I wish I had a good idea of how to study, because in high school I never learned how.

Betsy

that it was so conservative (residents claim it's a liberal bubble-ha!) and so expensive

How important it is to go to office hours to receive help from profesors.

Dena

I wish I had been given a list of all the clubs and organization that exist. I had to figure that out on my own, and there are so many, I feel like I missed out on some that I might have enjoyed. I wish I could have known ahead of time who the really great professors were, but I'm not sure there is a way to know it. Professors you think will be great can turn out to be a bust, and others will pleasantly surprise you.

I wish I knew that Computer Science was not for me - it killed my GPA and I was never able to get it up to where I wanted it, even though I made Dean's List most semesters after I changed majors.

Maeva

I wish that i was better informed at the many opportunities out there involving scholarship and grants. my high school counselor did not make information available to me so now i am having to take out student loans and hope to get the money needed to continue to the next school year.

Stay away from the Greek scene if you already know it's not for you. It represents the university really negatively.

amanda

the mind set of the student body, the teaching style, how HUGE carolina basketball is

Mina

Better studying habits are necessary to accelerate.

Dymenn

I wish I would of known just how academically focused this school was.

Bolu

To plan my schedule so that I would have been able to study abroad for an entire semester.

Derrick

That I have a learning disablity.

- Take more AP courses - how to get financial aid - Don't screw up your freshman year

Zoe

That having so many options can be too overwhelming.

Bonnie

That the fraternity and sorority tradition was so strong.

More about the non-academic services the school offers.

Nothing. i love it.

I wish I had a better understanding the of extent of the liberalism of this campus. Sometimes I feel like people try to start a problem and are very "in your face" about their views and opnions. I would like to feel that I could freely express my views without a lot of heckling from all sides. Part of the greatness of the diversity about Carolina should also be a great accepting of everyone, and not just liberal views.

Amelia

The classes really are a lot harder than the classes you take in high school.

I wish I had known the importance of establishing a good, close, group of friends when I first arrived at school. This would have provided me with an outlet from the stress of classes and allowed me to more thoroughly enjoy my college experience

Min

I wish I had known how good alumni of this school is in helping students find jobs after college.

AW

I wish I had known that even though it is entirely possible to have a great time at Carolina without being a basketball fan, watching the games in Chapel Hill is an amazing experience. I went through two whole years of school before I watched a single game. Now as an alum living in New York, I wish I could go back and take advantage.

Jennie

I wish I had known how southern this school was and how different it was from anything in the North. The 83{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of North Carolinians that go here all seem to know each other and socialize with only themselves. Also, this year's freshman class was 70{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} girls which gets really annoying if you are a girl.

I wish I had known how to study more effectively. In high school things came naturally and I didn't have to study often. Here in college I have found it challenging because the material doesn't absorb as naturally as it used to.

Don't be afraid to try new things!

Meagan

I wish I had a better idea of my college major before applying.

Trey

Which teachers to take

Saba

I wish advising and career services had been available to those accepted in the spring. I wish orientations allowed more time to decide classes and pursue career goals.