University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Jordan

The school is rigorous but is an extremely enjoyable experience. The people are intelligent and the professors are outstanding. There is always something to do and you will never get bored. Study hard and have fun. This school is right for anyone. Go Tar Heels!

Victor

My opinion of Chapel Hill is that it is one of the best public schools in the world. Although it is conveniently ranked in the top 3 public universities in the U.S, that statistic does not take truly begin to explain the quality that this university has. From the academic to the sport side, the community is everything at chapel hill. Go heels!

Trisha

This is a really hard school to attend and you always have to be at the top of your game. Career opportunities and clubs are endless, and there is always something interesting/entertaining happening on campus. The campus, along with the number of attending students, is huge.

My first year at UNC was amazing! I loved how there was always something to do on campus--movie nights, concerts, sports, the list goes on and on! I also love how nice and helpful everyone is. Freshmen Year can be very overwhelming, however, all of the students and teachers are very helpful and make the experience less terrifying. If you're looking for a school with great academics, a large support system, incredible sports, and a lively campus life, then UNC-Chapel Hill is the place for you!

Courtney

I love this school! I have grown personally over my first year at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. I think that they have done a great job finding passionate and knowledgeable professors who are always willing to help. The school spirit is very evident as well. It was my #1 option when I applied, go Heels!

Aja

A great education for a great value. Students are not overly competitive and know how to balance academics and fun. Most classes are relatively small and professors are easily reached through email or by office hours. Everyone at UNC is proud to be a Tar Heel and it is definitely our home away from home.

Ivy

I love the inclusion and kindness of everyone in Chapel Hill, from the students to the teachers, volunteers, sponsors, etc. Everyone plays a role in making the Carolina experience a welcoming and intellectually challenging one that keeps you on your toes both academically and socially.

It's no lie that God's favorite color is Carolina Blue, because anyone who attends or has the opportunity to attend UNC is #BLESSED. The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is the oldest public university in the United States and is known for its prestigious academic program. It may be tough at times but a degree from UNC looks wonderful on a resume. We have some of the best business, journalism and med schools around. Not to mention are basketball team is number one in the ACC. However, what truly makes UNC the unique and wonderful place it is are the people. I have met some of my best friends at Carolina and know I will be friends with them for life. The professors are top notch and always willing to help if you seek them out. The diversity and variety of groups to get involved with is wonderful and overwhelming! Carolina is the best school because there you are more than a college student, you are a Tar Heel.

Brooke

From the first moment I stepped onto UNC's campus, I knew I had found a home for the next four years. Unlike many students who go to UNC, my first taste of the campus was on the day of first-year orientation. Even though the two days were jam-packed with presentation after presentation, I had finally found somewhere I could belong. The orientation leaders were engaging, the fellow students were super friendly and open to meeting new people, and I felt a wave of relief wash over me - I had committed to something without even seeing it first! For me, Carolina has always been - and will always be - my number one choice. From eighth grade forward, I knew that Carolina was the place I was meant to be. I love the energy on campus after a big win against our rivals from down the road, I love that my professors care about me in and outside the classroom, and I love that I have found friends that have become my family. At Carolina, we have this belief in the "Carolina Way." We push each other to think bigger, bolder, and brighter. We lend a helping hand to others in need. We are innovators, business leaders, and critical thinkers. Our fight song ends with "I'm a Tar Heel born, and a Tar Heel bred, and when I die, I'm a Tar Heel dead." Once you become a Tar Heel, that never really leaves you. And honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Christian

UNC Chapel Hill is amazing! I hail from Midlothian, VA but I've grown up a Tar Heel fan my whole life. The campus is breathtaking! Chapel Hill is a perfect area that has it all. Go to Franklin St and dive into any food available. My favorites would be Hibachi and Co, Yogurt Pump (YoPo), and Sup Dogs. Of course, you have traditional chains around campus like Moe's, Subway, Chick-fil-A, and McDonalds. There is a movie theater, Walgreens, Target to name a few other things. As for what you are actually here for...the academics. From the classes I've been in, I've been very satisfied. I've only been here one full semester but the academics are top notch. As long as you've taken a dual-enrollment, IB, or AP class, you can survive here with a solid GPA. There are plenty of opportunities for whatever you are interested in. From sports to politics to the performing arts, you can always find something to do. Personally, I am a part of a campus ministry (Summit College), a flag football intramural team, and currently training for the ACC Network as part of a program called GoHeels Productions. I'm not in favor of partying but UNC provides many opportunities for that if you are interested. The students here are very diverse. Although most come from North Carolina, it is pretty easy to find out-of-staters and International students to interact with. As for sports, our football team is a WIP but with Mack Brown as our new football coach, we should be more competitive. Basketball is where it's at. We are constantly in the running to win a National Championship under the leadership of Roy Williams. The Field Hockey team just went undefeated and the women's soccer team came within one game of winning a title as well. I'm super excited for what the future holds for the next seven semesters on campus!

Anjali

One of the premier academic institutions for health and allied professions. The school offers a lot of majors, access to professors, academic counseling, recreation, student extracurricular activities, world class art performances, and multiculturalism.

Anastasiya

I LOVE IT!!! The campus is always alive whether it's the middle of the semester or finals week (the library is especially buzzing during finals week lol). The students are engaged in their studies and are passionate about their learning. The academics are outstanding and rigorous which makes it a top university in the country. I am proud to be a Carolina Tarheel!!!

Maggie

I love UNC Chapel Hill! It's a great all around environment to live and learn in with plenty of opportunities presented to its students. You can always find something interesting going on!

Edwin

It's a fantastic school, for in state students, there is incredible value to be found here with a robust Humanities department, and a strong STEM department with plenty of avenues for Grad studies as well. Chapel Hill is located in the triangle which means there's easy access to the metropolitan area of Raleigh as well as other great towns nearby like Durham, Cary, and Greensboro. Duke University and North Carolina State as well as UNCG are quite close by too, if you have friends attending those. Classes are rigorous, and access to documents, including Primary documents in the extensive archives is incredible. Franklin Street is nearby and student culture is fantastic as well.

Javier

As an international student studying in UNC I have had the opportunity to see how open minded and embracing the student body is, no matter where you come from, what your beliefs are or what you look like. UNC is also the perfect size, with its 18000 students the campus feels neither too big or too small, its just perfect.

Nyrah

A beautiful campus and I would loved to go there for my next 4 years.

Anna

Before attending UNC, I was intimidated by its size and I worried it would be easy to feel lost among the thousands of students. Luckily, my experience has been completely different! UNC students are passionate, engaged, and active. On such a big campus, there is *always* something going on, and you can find plenty of clubs, teams, and opportunities to explore your interests and passions.

Candace

This is a great college full of great people. The sports events are great and the whole school makes it a lot of fun. The academics can be really tough, but they are do-able and there is plenty of time left to have fun. There is so much opportunity here! Great place.

Chryshel

Carolina is a great school that has strong school pride, nice facilities, plenty of clubs to join, and a lovely campus. There are plenty of friendly people and the school seems to be open-minded to diversity. I love it here and would not go anywhere else.

Josh

UNC Chapel Hill has many benefits, but a few pitfalls of being at such a large college. The environment is often very laid back, because even though there is a push towards research and a fairly competitive academic system, there are ways to find time to relax. Along with this, the surrounding area is fantastic. Most of the professors genuinely care about whether or not their students do well, and there are some fantastic resources for things like finding jobs and internships, writing, and more. The libraries and Student Union could use a bit of an update and upgrade, as well as a few of the other buildings on campus, but overall the facilities are fairly serviceable and able to provide what they need to. UNC CH is also an optimal place for people that want to get politically involved or get involved in social justice or work improving communities. There are hundreds of different opportunities to help the community in Chapel Hill but also work on helping the broader global community. There are also plenty of opportunities to engage in political activism and discussion, especially with the fact that the discussion around Silent Sam is nowhere near done. Along with this, the study abroad programs are fantastic, and there are a wide variety of locations that can be traveled to. They put a lot of resources into making sure that students have some sort of opportunity to go abroad. However, along with the benefits, there are some downfalls. For example, there have been complaints about the health services, as they do not necessarily always have the resources to help as many students as need it. There are also some instances where students may not feel heard immediately because information can take a long time to travel and discussions in the administration can take a long time. Overall, though, I have loved being at UNC.

Danielle

UNC is a great, well-rounded school with a diverse community of students. You can find somewhere you belong here because there are all kinds of people who care about all kinds of things. Search for classes with well-rated professors and your experience will be much better than your classmate that does not.

Kristen

UNC is a great institution. There are many opportunities to engage with other students, to interact with faculty and staff, and to leave your mark upon the university. However, as it is such a well-attended university, there is the chance of getting lost in the crowd. Remember to get out and find your own way to stand out and stand up for what you care about. UNC was the perfect place for me and I wouldn't trade my undergraduate experience at this university.

Makayla

I think that UNC Chapel Hill offers a variety of programs that shows students they can become whatever they want in life. They also offer a great tour and it is very beneficial for incoming students to know more about the college and what it has to offer.

Dzhan

UNC is a college for a student who wants that perfect balance between partying and learning. The beautiful campus provides students with ample opportunities to get involved and a great diversity of opinions. The social scene could use some work. Greek life dominates the party scene and if you are not involved it is very difficult to go out. The undergraduate bar scene is practically non-existent due to a recent crackdown by North Carolina authorities. Academics are rigorous but the passion of some of the professors make it worth all of the pain of sometimes aggressively average grades. I would like to reiterate: If you want a school that mixes academics and social life, this is the school for you without a doubt.

Aaliyah

The university is absolutely beautiful. It is very large and fairly diverse; a lot more diverse than I thought it would be. Just like every school, it has it’s downs, but I truthfully would not want to be attbebdingn aby other university for the next four years and beyond.

Alex

I love going to UNC - there's something for everyone because it's so big, meaning classes, clubs, or extracurriculars. I'm from North Carolina, so UNC was a great choice because you can get a very rigorous education without graduating up to your eyeballs in debt. Chapel Hill is essentially a college town, so students drive a lot of the things that go on around here. Sometimes I think that it might be TOO big for me, especially within the science departments where class sizes are big and professors are often busy with their own research labs. However, all of the classes I've taken have professors who offer regular office hours and are willing to work with their students to help them succeed.

Chryshel

Carolina is the best university, if not the country, then definitely the state. It is well known for academics, athletics, community service, and everything between. Personally, this is my first year and I have always wanted to come here since birth. There are plenty of people who are friendly and can help you with ANYTHING you need whether professor, student, or staff. Just remember that we take or Carolina blue VERY seriously so get ready for it.

Rebecca

As a first-year at the best state university in the country, I can't help feeling proud. Academics are completely different from high school. I should have prepared myself mentally before I enrolled, but I can learn as I go through college. Class sizes are on opposite poles for me. BIOL101 has over 400 students while my first year seminar only has 20. Carolina cares for its students. I can feel it whenever I go to visit my academic advisor.

Victoria

Chapel Hill is not diverse as they make it seem to be. There is an air of entitlement and tension coming from certain people. Everything is hyped up about the school and I was disappointed upon arrival. Chapel Hill is not all they make it out to be, which sucks.

Lauryn

I LOVE CAROLINA!! They have a high graduation rate and their campus is big but manageable and makes sense because of all the career options they offer.

Chapel Hill has the best of all worlds. Great academics, though challenging, crazy sports fans, and plenty of fun. There is a vibe and welcoming environment that you feel everyday

Asia

I enjoy attending the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. This a place where everyone one is smart. The classes tend to be pretty challenging and the grading scales can be annoying. There is plenty of free food and events to go to on-campus.

Ashlyn

UNC Chapel Hill reminds me of an Ivy League school but without the price tag. The academics are rigorous, the professors are very knowledgable and dedicated, the research opportunities are expansive, and the campus is gorgeous. We have amazing sports teams to cheer on throughout the year. The school spirit is evident, and it is always a great day to be a Tar Heel!

Desiyre

Academically challenging but hopefully worth it and there are a lot of research opportunities.

I love how challenging the school is. As a minority student, the popular culture of the school is not necessarily tailored to me, however I am able to find my niche. I believe sports is what truely brings us all together as a school regardless of our backgrounds. We are all proud Tar Heels.

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill has changed my life. I am only a First-Year, but this has been one of the best years o f my life. From rushing Franklin street to meeting new people, there has not been a dull moment on this campus. I love all of the events, and the school atmosphere is vibrant. When the weather is warmer, the whole campus comes to life with concerts, picnics, and free shaved ice. There will not be a day where you could not find something to do I promise! Even with classes being a little more tough than other schools, there are plenty of resources for help. The peer tutors and review sessions have helped me a ton this year. Always be willing to ask for help because people here are always willing to help! I promise if you go here, you will not regret it!

Guacamole

Dont get me wrong, Carolina is a good school with a great campus atmosphere, but what many people and reviews fail to tell you is just how hard this school is. Getting an A or a B is very very difficult in science classes if you are on the pre-med track, which most students you meet tend to be on. Additionally, registration can be incredibly frustrating. There is a biology class that almost 500 or 600 students need to take, however Carolina only offers 2 sections of that class with around 200 each, so what do the remaining people do? They get pushed behind and have to reschedule their entire course-load in order to get the classes the need completed in time with our 4 year graduation rule. You'd think that if so many people needed to take a class, the department would open up another section. No, you though wrong. In aspects like that (registration), advising and overall fairness in terms of the material you are expected to know in class, Carolina is overratted. Sure there are plenty of opportunities, but with so many people on campus and poor advising its almost unrealistic to expect to obtain any of those "opportunities". On the other hand, the academics are underrated here. At Brown or other Ivy Leagues, there is major grade inflation and you need an 85 to get an A. Here, getting an A in a very, very difficult. Aside from a few joke classes, there is no such thing as an "Easy A" unless you are naturally very very intelligent. Carolina is a mid-tier school, however the academics parallel to a higher tiered school like Vanderbilt or Duke. Facilities on campus are old and outdated. There are more renovated, nicer places study, but you have to search for them. Our two main libraries are small, crowded and have uncomfortable seating. At this point, I'm just being nit-picky. Expect to see a cockroach at one point or another if you live on campus and get tired of the food in the dining hall after the first month. Aside from everything else, the campus is very beautiful and when you are not stressed out about life and classes, you feel proud to be a Tar-Heel. Especially during basketball season because our sports are stellar. Additionally, you will meet some great people. There is no such thing as a monoculture here. Each and every person has a story and something that makes them interesting and unique. You will have very intellectual conversations and people are willing to help you if you dont understand something. Most of the time, it is a collaborative sort of environment. Franklin street is great when you are tired of lenoir and rams. Spicy 9 and Bandidos in particular are my favorites. Overall, the school is the way it is. Consider the things above before deciding to come here, but no if you do, you'll make it work somehow.

alexis

Chapel Hill is an absolutley amazing university for a multitude of reasons. While this school is undoubtedly academically strenuous, it is to the benefit of each and every student enrolled. Students are consistently being encouraged to put their all into tasks and persevere no matter how difficult a situation may be. Resources and intelligent minds are always around to offer assistance as well, success is a primary goal and it is not expected to be achieved on ones own. The education here not only provides knowledge of ones desired major but offers exposure to a broad range of studies/disciplines, ensuring that students become well rounded human beings and learn diverse approaches that can be applied in the real world. Aside from the actual education, the people are another reason the school is so exceptional. At chapel hill you find yourself surrounded with charismatic students who are passionate, hardworking and eager to learn and make connections with each other. Overall the school is inspiring, everyone wants to make an impact in one way or another and there is no where else I would rather receive my education!!

Sung-Soo

Very quiet campus. Overall, students are quiet and keep to themselves. Intellectual atmosphere; very liberal. Students are encouraged to be politically and socially conscious, but it's not enforced. Classes seem to be students' main focus, but sports rivalry is intense, especially against Duke and in basketball.

Caitlin

I love it

Kaitlyn

Overall, I think UNC Chapel Hill is an extremely well-rounded university that strives to make students of all races, genders, and ethnicities feel welcome. There are numerous outlets for students to get involved around campus, pushing young adults to become active in society and confident in standing up for their beliefs.

Eshika

It's a great school that provides outstanding academic, professional, and social opportunities for everyone. There are many things to do and the diversity on campus allows for everyone to feel like they "belong." The only bad thing is that the Wifi sucks, but everything else is pretty great!

Erin

Carolina is such a great school. It took me some time to get adjusted to going to a school so big but once I felt at home at UNC I began having the time of my life. Class size depends on the specific class you are taking. Most introductory courses have about 200 students but some classes also cap at 20 so it just depends. There is always something to do you just have to go out there and find it. Food is good but by the end of the year you'll be tired of having the same options all year.

Alexis

The University of North Carolina is a very prestigious public institution with a history of excellence. As a student I can affirm that they rightfully earned the title as one of the best public institutions in the United States. I genuinely feel that I am receiving a quality education.

Alli

I love it here at UNC! The academics are challenging, the people are intelligent and politically aware, the food is delicious and the housing is nice, and people are actively engaged in whatever they're doing. I honestly couldn't see myself at any other school.

Logan

Ever since I was young, the little town of Chapel Hill drew me in. I'd visit every once in a while with my parents and as we'd walk around the university's campus, I could feel the history, the energy, the school spirit, everything that would eventually make me decide on the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill as the school I would attend for my college career. And I absolutely made the right decision. I love everything about this school, from its beautiful campus and the bustling college town it's nestled in, to the diversity of the people who attend it, to the sports that make everyone excited to be a Tar Heel. All of this, along with incredible academics, make this school something special. Out of everything that makes this school remarkable, however, it is the history that is embedded within the nation's first public university that I love the most. Little things like there being pieces of the old facade of Big Ben on the side of one of the buildings, to how some of the halls I have classes in each day are well over a hundred years old, make the history I study feel so present. All of the aforementioned aspects, along with so many more that I did not name, make the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill so special, and a place I am so proud to be able to call "my school."

Veda

I absolutely love my school. UNC Chapel Hill is a place brimming with positive energy. I felt at home right away and I feel so lucky to have met such incredible people. The academics here speak for themselves--it's top notch, as to be expected from the premier public university in America. Professors are generally accessible, kind, and willing to help you succeed. There's no shortage of clubs, societies and groups to join for every interest under the sun, and the surrounding areas of Carrboro and Durham offer plenty to do if you're not satisfied with Franklin Street on the weekend. Overall, incredible people and a very special place. I consider myself extremely lucky to be a Tar Heel.

Lanna

I love being a student at UNC. I dedcided to go here because it has great academics and a big social life. There are hundreds of student run organizations, clubs, and sports teams to join. My professors have been knowledgable and avaliable for questions. In addtion, most people you meet on campus are nice and friendly. I have a high overall opinion of Chapel Hill. I am glad I decided to attend university here.

As former Student Body President Eve Carson once said, “I love UNC. I love the quad in spring and the arboretum in the fall. I love the Pit on a sunny day and Graham Memorial Lounge on a rainy one. I love Roy all the time. But what makes UNC truly special is not our beautiful campus, our distinguished reputation or even our basketball team. It’s us – the student body – who make UNC what it is.” I cannot say it better myself. UNC is the place to be. Aside from the distinguished academics and professors, the many extra-curricular and social opportunities, the beautiful campus, and the National Champion sports teams, UNC has even better people. I love it! Go Heels!

It's been my dream to come to UNC since I was in middle school, and I can say in all honesty that the university has passed all expectations. The students and faculty are eager to learn and grow academically and socially. The sports scene is energetic but safe (Go Tarheels! National Champions 2017!) and some of the professors are the best in their field. The English department is incredible. I could not ask for a better university experience.