University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Kellan

UNC is a great place to grow! There are organizations for every interest. Though, UNC could do a lot better with increasing racial diversity and making their marginalized groups feel valued. There is a good balance at UNC with working hard and playing hard.

Alexis

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is simply what you make it. There are plenty of opportunities to get involved, you just have to find what you are interested in and go for it. There are also plenty of opportunities to make friends but you do have to put yourself out there sometimes depending on what you are involved in. There are parties if you want but there's also people who do other fun things on weekends whether on Franklin, out of town or just around campus. The academics are hard and can be overwhelming when it all comes at once but it's manageable most of the time. I love it here.

Christopher

UNC Chapel Hill is the premier public university in North Carolina. US News rated UNC #5 for Public Universities in the Nation. Since my first day on campus, I immediately felt welcome. There is always something to get involved in, whether its a political debate in the Pit or a pick-up frisbee game in the Quad. The buildings are all beautiful and there is so much history on campus. It's so amazing to know how I walk on same campus as greats like former president James K. Polk and basketball legend Michael Jordan. I absolutely love it here. Go Tarheels!

Sushan

It's a great, small school. Everything on campus is accessible and within reasonable walking distance. On-campus housing is great, but a little expensive (paying for the convenience!). Off-campus housing is abundant, and affordable if living with others. Academics are hard (in my experience as a science major at least), but most classes are rewarding. Professors are generally knowledgeable (always a couple bad seeds no matter where you'll go), but I've encountered many excellent professors. There is an extensive peer-mentoring program in most science classes, which is pretty helpful.

Skylar

Chapel Hill is a very inviting, interesting school and town. I would not want to go anywhere else. The professors are always happy to help me and I know my academics come first. I am never bored, there is always something to do. There are always academic events but also social gatherings. There is something for everyone here!

Mya

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is a beautiful campus. It is a large campus that one can easily make small if that is what someone so chooses. UNC Chapel Hill has a lot of resources on campus that are for the sole benefit of the students. The faculty and staff are also available and provides students with opportunities to grow and flourish. I believe UNC provides endless amounts of resources and support for students to be success on campus and in the work force. However, UNC Chapel Hill could improve tremendously on creating a comfortable environment for minority students. There is not enough support shown to students of color regarding their history. For example, the controversy regarding Silent Sam. Thousand of students on UNC's campus feel unsafe and uncomfortable with the statue as many feel it represents pro-slavery. The faculty of UNC did not make those students feel better about the situation but continuously sent out redundant emails. Overall, I believe the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is a great academic institution that prepares students to thrive after graduation.

I love UNC Chapel Hill. The academic program is rewarding. My advisors have always been helpful and great with career direction, Campus is close to where current live, have lived on or near campus for many years. I am enrolled as a part-time non-traditional student (there are many of us here), the only draw-back is parking.- although the busses are free. Beautiful location!

Kiara

UNC is a university that values community, and educational enrichment. I love being a student here because although I am challenged academically, I have met people who continuously lift me up. However, if you are a minority you will find yourself challenged by social injustices and institutionalized racism, and it is in your (our) power to fight for change for future students. Nevertheless, you will find people who will guide, experience, push you through the Carolina experience , and make the adventure worth it.

Karen

I would be absolutely thrilled to attended there after my two year program at Vance Granville community college. What is a little out of my range would be the $80 fee but other than that, UNC is just perfect. The environment is just really full of character and a welcoming vibe .

Madison

I have a bittersweet relationship with UNC. I could never see myself attending another university; however, sometimes I feel like I am not smart enough to go here. The basic classes are way too difficult for the average student, especially those who are not even participating in that major. On the bright side, I LOVE my friends and the relationship I have built with these people.

Gabe

The actual administration is not very respectful of its students and staff, but the people in the university are great. There is a strong sense of community among the students and staff. The expectations are very high, but the resources are there to help.

Eva

I love Carolina! It's super challenging and you're surrounded by people that take their education seriously. There's always someone doing research and someone else working on a social justice campaign. Professors are almost always willing to help you succeed and have interesting backgrounds.

Rakaila

It's a great school. It just takes some getting used to, but I'm sure you will love it. There are plenty of places on Franklin Street to grab a bite. The Ackland Art Center and there are many other places to check out on your day off. All the sports games are free, except basketball (of course!). #GDTBATH

David

UNC has something to offer for all students who attend. It's a large school in a small town, but there is a wealth of clubs, sports, activities, volunteer groups, and other extracurricular activities, all of which help shrink down the big-school feel. The academics are rigorous, the sports are vibrant, the arts are growing, and the facilities are functional. It really is a well-rounded school that seeks to benefit the student in any way possible.

Auley

It is all what it seems, the students are really into nature and like to sit outside to study rather than stay indoors. The sports are a big part of life over there, mainly basketball, everywhere you look there's a poster or something that represents UNC. The students are really diverse and calm, there are parties of course, but nothing too crazy for the cops to come.

Ranxin

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is one of the best in the country. As the first public university in the entire nation, UNC is extraordinary in all areas: academic, athletic... Students here are enjoying their life, both in class and during extracurricular activities.

oyesola

Chapel hill provides the best of both worlds. It is well acclaim for it academics with faculty members who are the best in their fields. The academics is challenging but not too​ competitive. Moreover, the students have a strong love to be called a tar heel and basketball is worshiped.

Vanessa

Overall, I love this university. The campus is gorgeous, and it is not too large that you cannot get from one class to another within fifteen minutes. The professors are always available and willing to talk about their courses. Something that one must be aware of is the political orientation of the school. It is incorporated into class almost daily, and it can be difficult for students with opposing views to fit in. That being said, finding one's group is an important aspect of college, and doing that can help the student feel as if they belong.

Philip

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is a fantastic institution of higher learning. The academics are fantastic, and the faculty are world-class researchers and educators in their respective fields. The artistic (performing and visual) scene on- and off-campus are amazing. Students are extremely involved in different organizations, whether it be academic, professional, Greek, performing arts, athletic, or none of the above. There is an organization for everything a student could be interested in. From the administration, faculty, and staff to the students of the university, the university is a place that highly focuses on being an inclusive and safe environment for its students promoting the values of higher learning and success.

Carson

Though bureaucracy and money can sometimes cloud things at the upper levels, as a student, I've never been happier to be at Carolina. With such an old, beautiful campus, the student experience is steeped in tradition and togetherness. There truly is something for everyone here, be it parties, activism, recreation, or academia. We have science, we have art, and we have everything inbetween. The only negative aspect of the University that I have noticed, as a student, is the tendency for administration to focus more on money than on people. But ultimately, that's going to happen to some extent at any school; at least we have 7 Natty Champs titles.

Colleen

Students are encouraged to speak their opinions openly and freely. There are plenty of extracurricular activities for everyone to participate in. There are also many campus events for students to attend. Academics are extremely important and most professors are very dedicated to helping their students learn.

Grace

Once you step on campus it immediately feels like home. The campus is beautiful and open and the community surrounding it is very supportive of the campus. Upper campus near Franklin Street, the street with shops and activities for students and community members, is my favorite location. I'll get out of my class at 8:50 in the morning and I just sit and look at the trees and the few students passing by and it's really peaceful and makes me love Chapel Hill even more. The students themselves are very friendly and welcoming and since it is a liberal arts college there is something for everyone. On game days there are tons of alumni and community members, with their kids and grandkids, that come and its great to see the lasting connection the school inspires. The academics are excellent and while it is a difficult school it never feels like the pressure or stress of classes are unbearable. The school requires work but that is to be expected. I have only been here for a semester but I already have the highest opinion of Chapel Hill.

Jake

This is a great university that provides its students with many amazing opportunities to have a great college experience. The facilities are well maintained and the education provided by this school is top tier. The athletic events are also very exciting and the school spirit is great.

I adore my university. It was my dream school to begin with and I love the culture, academics and the area as well as campus as a whole: there are always things happening. The university facilities are flawless and allow all students access to an abounding number of resources.

Catherine

Tons of school spirit and pride, hard to avoid it (which is a good thing, in my opinion, students should feel apart of something). Lots of opportunities to find "your people" or find where you fit within this mostly traditional PWI college community. I experienced UNC as a high-school grad (i.e. when I thought I was an adult), and now I'm re-experiencing it as an actual adult. I've had a love/hate relationship with UNC because I've had an uphill climb throughout my undergrad experience; but, I wouldn't change much of anything about this journey. My advice to incoming students--make sure you dig in and seize opportunities to learn, explore, and grow.

Fiona

Already, this school has made itself my home. Every aspect of it has made me proud to call myself a Tar Heel, and I find myself arguing about sports teams when I've never cared about it before. I know I've set myself on a path to success by choosing to come to Carolina.

Gabriel

I am a freshman but have greatly enjoyed my time at the school so far. I am involved in several clubs, and there are many more available on campus. The food is good, classes aren't too hard and teachers are very nice. There have been many opportunities offered to me and I am grateful to be able to attend this school!

Crystal

UNC empowers you to create the university experience you want.  With nearly 20,000 undergraduate students, the unique student organizations make it easy to find friends and valuable support systems. There are more than 50 intramural sports, from ultimate frisbee to wheelchair basketball, and 900 student organizations that span every imaginable interest. Make sure to attend UNC’s Fall Fest, where you can learn about the different student organizations, eat free food, get free shirts, and see free performances. I joined an intramural volleyball team and the latin dance team, Que Ríco, after learning about them at Fall Fest! In addition to the extracurriculars, UNC students live for big sports events.  UNC students excel inside and outside of the classroom. The university boasts high quality academics and world-renowned professors. In fact, I’ve attended classes where students from other universities visit for the day just so they can meet a specific professor. As a Global Studies and Public Policy double major, some of my professors brokered peace agreements in East Africa and Latin America. Regardless of which one of the 84 majors you choose, UNC offers countless resources to supplement your knowledge. During my time at UNC, I was fortunate to receive five different scholarships to research and intern abroad, which truly shaped my academic and professional trajectory.  If you worry about being away from home, the Resident Advisors plan numerous weekly and monthly events to make sure you are comfortable. There are also specific Living-Learning Communities for people who have similar interests/lifestyles. I lived in La Casa sophomore year and loved it. Additionally, there are various dining halls all over campus with plentiful food options.  While UNC is a wonderful, unique university, some aspects may concern prospective students. With a large student body comes large classes, but professors schedule regular office hours to provide additional support. Additionally, UNC is a very politically active university which lends itself to polarizing debates. Some students embrace this and become more civically engaged, however the tension can be burdensome. I found comfort in the Center for Social Justice, where I was actively engaged for four years, the mental health resources, and the vigils that brought our community together whenever there was a tragedy.  As an out-of-state student who didn’t have much familiarity with UNC,  the student reviews cemented my choice to attend UNC. The reviews consistently noted students’ passion for academics, sports, politics, the interesting quirks of the university, and most important to me, for changing the world. Now, as an alumnus, I’m happy to corroborate these reviews and confirm that a UNC experience is whatever you make it!

Sabrina

Choosing to attend the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill was the best decision I've ever made. Many students who attend Carolina feel this way as well for many reasons. Whatever you are looking for in a college experience you can find at UNC Chapel Hill. It is considered a public ivy and is one of three universities to claim the title of the oldest public university in the USA. UNC Chapel Hill is world known and recognized for academics, arts, and sports. If you choose to attend UNC Chapel Hill you will join a close knit community and be proud to call yourself a Tar Heel for the rest of your life. UNC has an undergraduate population size around 18,000. It is big enough so that you can meet many people, similar to yourselves but also different. It is small enough where you will have smaller class sizes when you enter your major classes, allowing you to build relationships with professors. There are many opportunities on campus for students to join, including: sports, music, dance, art, poetry, travel, volunteer, etc. You name it and there is an organization for it on campus. When you tell people you went to UNC Chapel Hill, their eyes will light up. You will receive a high quality education. The University wins many national championships, in various D1 sports. You will become a proud alumni, similar to notable individuals such as Michael Jordan and Mia Hamm.

Oriana

UNC is the best place to be. The energetic and inviting environment makes you feel like you are at home. Teachers are always looking to help students, staff is open to helping you and students help each other with study groups and meetings. The campus is at a perfect location where everything is walking distance and accessible; with nearby shops, restaurants and sites nearby. The campus is very safe. Police, blue-light systems and LiveSafe (a UNC app) makes it very soothing. I love my school. I am pushed socially and academically to try new things and experience new understandings.

I Love it! It is amazing how they let high school students part of their band and football games. They also have amazing food! They have a pretty clean campus and there are usually no fights. I haven't seen any drugs or smoking on campus while I was on it. They have a good variety of classes which is amazing.

Savannah

I love being a student here at UNC-CH! There are so many activities going on around campus besides academics that help create more of a community than just a place. For instance, UNC has what we call "Late-Night" in the dining halls. After 9 pm on school nights, they have breakfast served to help keep you motivated if you do have any assignments left to do at this point. The cool thing about Late-Night is that usually, everyone goes to late-night even if they don't have homework. The dining hall is just full of all of your friends. It feels like you're part of something bigger than a school. I think that's my favorite part of going to UNC-CH, that it's bigger than a school; it's a family.

Scarlett

I absolutely love UNC. The university has a great atmosphere that enters around school spirt, learning, and exploration. UNC offers lots of great opportunities including just about any club you can think of, plenty of intramural options, research opportunities, lots of great classes to choose from, etc. I've had positive experiences with all of the faculty and there are plenty of resource for help and advising.

Marco

It's amazing the atmosphere is nothing like anything I have ever seen. The medical majors here are highly recommended and prestigious. The diversity the campus has is great because you will make friends some way somehow. The classes are not too small or too big and professors try to have personal relations with their students.

Torrye

UNC is an amazing school and is very beautiful. So glad I picked this college to visit. Was very impressed!

Wallace

Despite having had its fair share of scandals over the years, UNC continues to be a place of great learning and current events. In short, there is constantly something happening. I will always recommend UNC Chapel Hill to those considering making the nation's first public university their home.

Tamia

It's a nice enough school. For other POC you will definitely end up a in a close knit group of alike people. Subtle and overt racism on campus, which comes with the title of a PWI. Also they make the classes harder than they need to be. Also with seeing how they dealt with the pandemic, don't expect much in sympathy from professors. Overall it's a nice experience though.

Tamia

Martina

I'm going to be brutally honest. UNC Chapel Hill is for those who are able to devout hours, and I mean HOURS, to school work and have no issue doing that. I thought I was above average in high school and relatively smart, but UNC has completely ripped apart that mentality for me. There is not a class for me that I could consider an easy A, and whether that be because I am stupid or because the class is hard, I struggle day to day. I have found amazing friends and amazing extracurricular activities that I can partake in, but the classes really do take a toll on mental and physical health. I was so excited to come here, it was my dream school, but now that I am here, I am not sure why I am here. Professors brag about failing students and love to make you look dumb in front of your peers, except the German department (shoutout to those lovely people who deal with my unbelievably dumb questions). I heard the Journalism school is great, but I am STEM, and therefore get to deal with the professors who have a 1.6 on ratemyprofessor. The campus is beautiful but I am too distracted stressing out about my failing Physics grade to even get to look at it. My advice... get to know yourself and the type of work ethic you have outside of what your high school teachers have told you.

Coby

I love the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, I am so blessed to have had the opportunity to come here. Everyone here is so nice and welcoming, this is a challenging school, but a rewarding and engaging one. It is consistently ranked one of the best public universities in the US, so I highly recommend any prospective students to apply here!

Bryson

The school has a great learning atmosphere along with a great social environment for new students to meet and greet one another. My only issue is that certain professors at the institution may make learning more difficult primarily in the Chemistry Department.

Nikita

A great, "public Ivy League" with strong academics and plenty of options to pursue, for an affordable price. Living on campus is a joy, with comfortable rooms, lots of activities, and everything necessary within a walking distance. Academics are strong and diverse, with professors excelling in their fields and regularly available for out of class meetings. Advisers do their best to assist you. Overall, an excellent college.

UNC-Chapel Hill is definitely a hard school to get into but once one recognizes the plethora of opportunities they have from doing so, it becomes so much clearer as to why hard work is needed to get in-because the same hard work is needed to maintain high status.

Emry

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is known for breeding many intelligent and successful people in the world. This university is very diverse and the students are very focused. There are many resources on campus for students to use to help their study in college.

Jae Hoon

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is a great school with great environments. Our population is very diverse which creates a unique society. School faculties are very helpful and always available for you. The location of the school is very convenient since it's close to Durham and Raleigh. Most importantly, our school spirit is at top-notch. GO TARHEELS!

Stacey

Just visiting

Evan

It is a great school. It’s reputation is 100% correc, the class sizes are great, food is great, and the campus is absolutely beautiful. When my family found out about this university they were already sold. And if the Lord wills, I hope to attend this outstanding university this fall.

Zachary

What sets UNC apart from every other college that I have visited is the Populus of students attending. If you are fortunate to stumble into a conversation with literally anyone on campus, you are bound to have an inspiring talk about something different from each and every member of the Carolina community. For me, that is exactly the "Carolina Way" and these incredible individuals who you are surrounded by on a day to day basis continually inspire you to become the best version of yourself.

Shelby

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an amazing institution. The academic rigor is more than just preparing students to do well in the classroom; it is preparing students to achieve their goals for their futures. There are numerous opportunities for students to be successful in both the classroom and their careers. Additionally, UNC offers a unique culture of diverse students and activities that represent the true American dream. Overall, UNC is an outstanding university.

Dazhona

Carolina is what you make it. If you don't put in the effort to do well in classes, make friends, or get involved in other outside you will probably not enjoy your experience here. I have a job on-campus and did alot of programs my freshmen year to meet new people. As other schools, Carolina has it's okay qualities which include poor quality student facilities and parking. They tend to favor basketball and football over student well-being however I have studied abroad and landed summer internships while here at Carolina.