University of North Carolina at Charlotte Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of North Carolina at Charlotte

Jaleah

I love the University! I chose it as my first choice of schools to attend this Fall. I believe it is well suited for the degree and profession I am seeking and the cost is great as compared to other similar schools. I am excited to attend. My mom graduated from UNC Charlotte and I have an idea of how awesome the college experience will be because of the stories she has shared with me.

Kristina

University of North Carolina at Charlotte is a school that I would definitely recommend for other students to go to. This school is amazing with amazing opportunities for anyone. The campus is beautiful and everyone on campus is like a big family. This school prioritizes the academics of all students to make sure we all get the most out of our education.

Rachael

I attended UNCC during corona and I believe the school did a pretty good job at relaying information to students. There were a few classes I had that I believe could have done a better job with communication and or involvement but over all it was a decent experience.

Tahlieah

“I can do things you cannot. You can do things I cannot. Together we can do great things” - Mother Theresa. This quote is the epitome of UNC Charlotte. As a melting pot of so many different backgrounds and identities, UNC Charlotte thrives in its diversity. That is what makes the university so great. Although the school may seem large, it has a small neighborhood atmosphere. With over five hundred student organizations, there are plenty of opportunities for students to get involved and meet their peers. There is a place for everyone and if you feel like you cannot find a place, you can create your own. UNC Charlotte is also a community, something we do not take lightly and hold very dear to us. On April 30th, the campus of UNC Charlotte endured an extreme loss. Hundreds of students and I waited to enter the Last Day of Class concert, ready to close out a long academic year. No one had any idea that evening would go the way it did. Reed, Riley, Drew, Emily, Rami, Sean, were just like every one of us; they were students. We attended UNC Charlotte, enjoyed what the university had for us, planned our futures, and called ourselves Forty-Niners. The next day Niner Nation came together, to be there as one family, to care for one another, support one another, and to grieve together. It was awe-inspiring and breathtaking to see so many thousands of students, alumni, faculty, staff, and others in the Charlotte region unite in Halton Arena and the Star-Quad. Together we were resilient, standing firm in the stance that we would not be defined by this unfortunate event, but rather by our strength as a university. When you join Niner Nation you are joining a family. You are joining a community of people who are rooting for you, who want to see you succeed, and who would do anything to help get you there. Lastly, UNC Charlotte is adaptable. Through a national pandemic, UNC Charlotte has managed to keep a COVID-19 positivity rate of less than three percent on campus. The on-campus experience looks different, however, our Division of Student Affairs and other campus departments have been planning activities while prioritizing the health and safety of the campus community. The university abides by state and University limits on indoor and outdoor gatherings. Many spaces traditionally used for meeting rooms, events, and activities are being used for additional physically-distanced classrooms and capacity limits are lower in general. Although social gathers are not the same, there are still plenty of ways to get involved in campus life. Gold Rush, a series of activities that welcomes new and returning students to campus, features over 30 virtual events and many of our more than 500 student organizations will move to virtual or hybrid activities. Our University Recreation Gym, also known as UREC, which is one of our most popular spots on campus, is still offering a variety of outdoor and select indoor activities. While we cannot see the future, the university is still working on ways to keep students engaged. Our Chancellor, Sharon Gaber, and the rest of the university administration have done a great job interacting with the student body. As a member of the Student Government Association, I meet with the presidents across the entire UNC System and the relationship their administration has with their student body is nothing compared to what we have here at Charlotte. Whether it is a petition, email, or initiative, our university administration is doing all they can to have those conversations with students, to include them in decision making and plans they have. It’s one thing to go to a university, but it's another to have a voice at your university. I am proud to say that Charlotte provides that type of atmosphere for our students. From the diversity of the campus to the at-home feel, UNC Charlotte is by far one of the greatest universities a student can attend.

Michaela

The University of North Carolina at Charlotte has some really great professors and students that make it feel more like a community than a huge school. I am in a couple of clubs and it makes me feel like I am able to have a voice on campus even though I am just a freshman.

Amir

This is the place to be!

You will find that UNCC becomes your home and town. You will be a citizen with a voice and feel that it can be heard easily even in a crowd. You will learn to teach yourself, teach others, and learn the best ways to be taught. It's a school that gives you a chance to get to know you.

The University of North Carolina at Charlotte is a very well rounded school. The majority of the teachers are very helpful and clearly enjoy teaching. There is a wide variety of classes and organizations to get involved in. The student body continues to increase through the years, and is generally very friendly. The dining on campus is accessible and good, although rather expensive at times. The library and tutoring services are very helpful as well. A con of the school is that registration is a mess. There are not enough of certain classes and often times students have to wait semesters to get into a class they need. However, overall, the school is great and I would recommend it for anyone graduating high school or transferring. I have been at UNCC for 2 semesters now and am going into my third. I plan on finishing my undergraduate study at the school and will be proud to say I graduated from UNCC!

Varya

The University of North Carolina at Charlotte is a unique university. There are your students who are extremely school spirited, and there are those who are there just to get their degree and get out! The overall feel of campus during the school year is full and studious, but dare you walk on campus during the weekend, it can be a ghost town. Nevertheless, it is sorta a backpack school. Once you get to learn the city around the campus area though, you can easily fall in love with it. Campus is beautiful and secluded. Usually, you will receive a promising professor, but there are always those who are the worst. Cant blame the school too much however. For all of these reasons, that is why I rated it with four stars.

Danielle

I love it! It's a great home away from home. The professors are very approachable and tutoring services are always available and FREE! UNC Charlotte is a great university with tons of resources to make you feel at home!

Joachim Rithwik

UNC Charlotte has an ever-expanding campus with a lot of potential for growth. Its only downside is that campus is devoid of any social activity during the weekends. The dining hall food is actually decent and the dorms can be really nice. People are friendly and it the campus is easy to navigate.

Nathan

I was in the middle of accidentally attending a speed-dating session when I realized how much I loved my school. There I was, the minority floating in a sea of young people, wondering how I had gotten there when all I wanted was some free food from a campus mixer. I quickly began looking for an epiphany regarding my situation, but instead I suddenly came upon the key to university success – acceptance. That night was the first of many when I would take the time to recognize how welcoming the staff and students of UNC Charlotte are of their attendees despite blunders, colors, and occasional youthful ignorance. I attended the city-oriented university for my undergraduate degree, fresh out of a small town and with a thick southern accent, and the school quickly became my home. I met folks both in and outside of class with more diverse backgrounds than I had ever fathomed existed, and they quickly became my family. I encountered cultural events both in dormitories and in dining halls that effervesced with the scents of foreign foods and the sounds of ethnic music, and they quickly became the cure to my wanderlust. I graduated with applaud for the amazing new view I had of the world around me, and now I am back for my graduate degree, drinking in the cornucopia of culture and ethos that my beautiful school has to offer. UNC Charlotte is one of the fastest growing universities in North Carolina, and the reason for this development is no mystery – UNC Charlotte both emanates and embraces cultural acceptance; where else would the world want to be?

Brittani

I love my school! I have made great friends and memories over the last year. After leaving a small town to move to a big city where I knew absolutely no one, I could not imagine myself anywhere else! Charlotte truly is my home now. I am very optimistic for the experiences to come in the great Queen City!

Raechel

It's beautiful and I am so excited to attend in the Fall of 2018! The university is growing rapidly and I am eager to take part in it. I know that wherever I end up, I will go far because I'll have an education from the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.

Timothy

Overall I enjoy the campus, I am a transfer student. I've only visited and shadowed in classes a few times. I plan on transferring in the fall semester of 2019. I am super excited to further my learning experience there for art. The students there are quite energetic, which is a good thing. I enjoy company, the classes from what I've gathered are very approachable and as well as the professors. The campus itself is very beautiful, I can't wait!!

Abby

I love it!!! It's a wonderful school!

Adriana

When I visited University of North Carolina at Charlotte in June 2016, the campus is still growing, another dorm building and adding a rail system. The faculty and staff seem to be friendly and are willing to help. Overall, UNCC appears to be a good school to receive an education.

Jasmine

It is a great campus, very big but there is always something to do. Everyone is very kind and outgoing, there is always some event going on encouraging the students to get involved and make a name for themselves.

Lindsey

Big city, small town vibe. Charlotte is such a large city that you could feel lost in it, but while you are at UNCC, you feel like you are just at a small town college, which I like. While there is a ton of campus space, and many buildings, including many places to hang out and get some grub, you do not feel like a face in a crowd of thousands. On nice days, you can find clubs, sororities, and fraternities trying to get other students involved in their latest charity or event, and scattered throughout the student union and common areas are groups of friends eating and laughing. While I live off campus, I have seen UNCC on campus housing, and it is about average to other colleges, but a neat aspect is that you can choose a prefered living environment such as freshman only, transfer students only, international students only, etc. There are various off-campus housing options available, some associate with UNCC and some that are not, but since Charlotte is such a big city, there are tons of apartments in the surrounding area. The class sizes are average and most of the teachers are available during office hours, and many of them are reachable through phone or email as well. Overall, UNCC is a good college to attend, whether you live on or off campus, but as a commuter, the major downfall of UNCC is the prices for parking passes to park on campus.

Josai

UNCC has a very nice environment, not forgetting that it is close to campus. I personally am glad to attend UNCC, even though its a big campus. It still feels like a small community, consisting of the fact that the professors are very helpful and open to the students.

Lachelle

I love my institution! It's the main reason why I am here. The campus is gorgeous, the architecture program is great, and the people are absolutely amazing. The campus is extremely diverse and very inclusive of all individuals that we receive here at this school.

Annicka

UNC Charlotte is a great school, offering a little bit of everything. We have good sports, lots of clubs, great academics, awesome campus, decent housing, and good food. While we don't focus on one part of school, we are all very well-rounded students.

Autumn

This is a great school, but you are going to get what you want out of it. Most of the Professors will really teach you something but some of them will just waste your money so do your research. The career center isn't great though so use your own initiative to find internships or you won't get real work experience.

Lena

It's a wonderful place, you have to take the steps to be successful and pursue your goals. A lot of great people to meet, always something to do. The campus is pretty huge, so get used to walking or taking the shuttle buses places. Over 300 student organizations to join in regards to whatever you're passionate about. Also, you don't really feel like you're in the city until you step off campus.

Mildred

University of North Carolina at Charlotte is a growing school. I really appreciate all the opportunities that are available to me through organizations as well as just being a student. This school is for various types of students and it attracts students from various ethnic background as well as different cultures. The atmosphere is very nice and there is always events to part take in that allow students to interact with each other. I truly do enjoy attending this school and being a proud forty niner.

Dina

For the price, it's a pretty good school. The campus is really beautiful, except there is constant construction to make the campus bigger and more accessible. It's also a work-out every day you're running to class, because everything is on a hill. Some classes are difficult, some are chill. It all depends. I personally really like it, and I think it looks the most beautiful at night as it has decent architecture and beautiful lamp posts and a lot of art pieces and whatever. But the construction will kill you, especially if you drive, and it is not easy to run across campus in 15 minutes. We have our own bus system with three separate bus routes because of the size--which you will need, especially if you concentrate in engineering. However, it's surrounded by affordable off-campus housing and a lot of stores and restaurants, so that's good. The campus itself is pretty chill.

Sharniece

Overall, UNC Charlotte is a great school. The campus is beautiful and the community is very warm spirited and welcoming. There are plenty of great opportunities here. The size of the school can become quite challenging. Finding your niche can be difficult because there is so much going on. Personally, I didn't know where to start. But then again, having so much going increases the possibility of you finding your niche. Learning in a large class can be hard for some. If you're looking for a school where you can definitely have the professor's undivided attention, without stressing about the office hours being occupied by other students or cancelled, this may not be the school for you.

UNCC has fantastic instructors and a great selection of class offerings. The campus is largely commuter based and I think aesthetics suffer greatly for this. It's not the most beautiful or lively campus but if you're going with learning as your primary goal, you will absolutely learn a lot.

Mia

When I first visited Charlotte, I was overwhelmed by it's size. I thought it was beautiful, but huge and put it on the bottom of my list. So I committed to another UNC school's honors college with a full ride. But my second time visiting UNCC, I fell in love and now I can't imagine going anywhere else. I left my full ride opportunity to pay full out of state tuition because I loved it so much. And I have no regrets. The campus is beautiful with all of its brick, and they really try to keep you involved. Every week there is some fun event, two different movies playing, and a speaker. Greek life also keeps many people involved, I'm not a part of it, but I have many friends who are and they absolutely love it. UNCC is known as a commuter school, and it does fit that mold. People just don't like to deal with RAs and the expense of on campus living. So many people live off campus, but that doesn't kill the party scene. You can find a party every night of the week if you have a lot of friends and try to look for them. I would say most parties are on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights though. If the whole frat party or college party scene isn't your thing, there are some great clubs in Uptown Charlotte. It's about a 15 minute drive to at least five clubs. Each clubs has its different feel, and there's even country club/bar for those not into the pop or EDM or rap music. Parties and clubs are a big part of the nightlife here, but there's more than just that. There are concerts at PNC center, which is like 10 mins away from campus, bars surrounding the school, and plenty of campus activities. Academic wise, UNCC is a very good school. They have challenging courses given by great professors. However, you wouldn't get this until you're higher up in your major. Freshman general education courses are normally run by professors who don't care or treat them like a higher level than they are. But not all are like that, I've taken some great gen ed courses. The nursing school super competitive here, but you will leave college with several job offers because UNCC is known for its nursing. It's also known for its business school. Business is probably the biggest major here and the program for it is great. Sports aren't a huge deal here. Generally speaking, I think more people tailgate than actually go to the football games. But the tailgates are awesome and I highly recommend going. I've attended a few baseball, soccer, basketball and volleyball games. But I wouldn't say that they had a huge turnout or anything. Rec sports and club sports do have a high involvement. There are several different leagues and sports. Overall, Charlotte was a great fit for me. It had a big enough campus to keep me involved, a solid party scene, and good academics.

Kalyn

I have been going to UNCC for a little over 3 years, and I just got accepted into the Masters program for Counseling. I was there on the day that an active shooter came onto campus. My class was right near the building it happened in. It was a terrifying experience, but it changed my whole perspective. The way my school handled what happened was amazing, everyone was there for everyone. The whole school came together to support the families of the victims and everyone in general. My school is one of the best, when it comes to academics, but it excels in caring for the students and faculty that attend. 10/10, 5 stars and so on, my school deserves all the recognition.

kalin

I love this school and made the best decision going here

Jordan

I love it here. I think that everyone on this campus is so open and accepting, as if we are a giant family. The Marching Band rocks too! The anthropology department is absolutely wonderful. I have yet to meet a professor I do not like! It is small, but that makes getting to know your department easier. A couple things to note have to be the geese and the hills/steps. This campus can and will give you a workout with all of the steep hills, and never ending steps, so be prepared. The geese are evil, manipulative creatures sent by the devil himself. Don't mess with them or their babies. When you cross paths with them, let them go first.

Taleaha

When I first arrived at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, was a little intimidated by the number of people that attended the school. I thought to myself that there is no way that I am going to make it here, because there are so many people that I want be able to stand out and make the impact on the school that I hope to make. However, after realizing there are over 300 clubs you can join, I knew that I would find my calling on this campus and find a way to get involved while I am here. There is so much diversity at UNC Charlotte, that everyone is sure to find a place to fit in. When it comes to academics, every professor I have had, has done their best to help every student strive, between office hours and professors staying in touch, one is sure to be successful at the university. And if your professors are not enough, there are plenty of academic services available to every student. Living in the Charlotte area is also a very positive thing about the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, if you can't find something to do on campus, you are always sure to find something in the area to get involved in. To me, the University of North Carolina at Charlotte is the university for me. The environment is extremely safe and all the diversity that is on campus, helps students to feel a sense of home.

Taelor

If you want a school with a lot of school pride or spirit, UNCC is not for you. However, the people here are awesome, always friendly and willing to help, and we're trying to grow into that big states school role, slowly but surely which is why UNCC actually stands for Under New Construction Constantly. If you chose to go hear you won't regret it because not only witll you be able to experience but you will also be able to help shape the quickly growing University.

Margaret

I believe I have made the right decision for me. I'm from a very small town and moving to big city like Charlotte has allowed me to experience things I would never experience in Hillsborough. I couldn't be happier with the education and social life.

Alexandra

This university has a lot of potential. The students who come here were likely middle of their class in high school, and as a result are still learning about critical thinking and how to have intellectual conversations. So far I have been somewhat disappointed by the lack of stimulation I have found here, and I intend to transfer in the fall, but that is not to say that I couldn’t be happy here. There are plenty of intelligent students who are passionate and engaged, but there is a general feeling that you go to the classes and get the grades just to meet some requirement that eventually gets you a job. I wish there was more of a focus on being a multifaceted learner. Some of my classes have been repeats or even have been easier than those of my high school years. The campus is beautiful, and has many pleasant facilities, but is disappointingly far away from the city center and other interesting local sights. The programs here are valuable and educational, and I would recommend that if a person enjoys the campus atmosphere and putting in extra effort to find stimulation that they consider UNCC. The campus is also relatively safe, with very few crimes and a thorough police force, and it is easy to get around campus. Also, they are building a light rail so that in the coming years getting off of campus will be even easier. The school is definitely moving in the right direction in spite of what flaws it has now.

Jala

I believe the University of North Carolina is an amazing school. There are many resources around to help the students. There is no way a student should feel out of place or uncomfortable, because the faculty and students make everyone feel at home and comfortable.

Shaye

My experience as UNC so far is good. I love the campus and the resources that are provided for us. I love my theatre program, however, I wish there was more diversity. UNCC is perfectly surrounded by outside resources as well. I think this school is great.

Anjolaoluwa

The University of North Carolina at Charlotte has been a great experience for me so far. I have friends from other schools who only want to "turn up" and don't care for their school work. Here at UNC Charlotte, it appears almost everyone is interested in having fun, but most importantly in getting their work done. But most importantly, since the campus is so diverse their is a place for everyone here at this university. You can find a club who's members will take you in as their own family. Whether it be an organization for your major, ethnicity, or hobbies, you can find a place here on campus. The most important thing is to go out and find these organizations and get yourself involved.

Maroua

There are many options to choose from in regards to area of study so there is definitely something here for most people. within each department you will find opportunities to thrive. The campus is beautiful (although there is always some part of campus under construction) and there are plenty of resources to help you throughout your college career. Also some of the professors I've had are some of the coolest people I have ever met and they are so supportive.

Great campus with great opportunities! I would recommend others to be part of this environment it is very engaging. The professors are great as well they are willing to help as long as you go seek the help you need. The students are all very welcoming and I have received​ a lot of help from other students in my class when I'm struggling.

Barbara

This is my second semester at UNCC. It is a very big school at 1,000 acres of land and very nearly 30,000 students, and not that far from Charlotte's Uptown area. Despite the size, which can overwhelming in the beginning, you get used to it. There are so many resources available, it's amazing. I hate walking so much but that's what happens when there's so many buildings which house so many departments. Overall I like this school and I'm happy I made the decision to study here.

Samuel

I love it here so much! Attending UNC-Charlotte has exposed me to lots of different people, ideas, and attitudes. As a result, I've grown and changed some myself. By the time I graduate I will develop academically, professionally, and personally, and I'll be ready to take on the world. I'm in no hurry, though. I love it here so much!

Hailey

As a freshman my experience at UNCC is limited, but it has been a wonderful journey so far. My first semester here I was overly impressed with how interactive the campus was. There are so many events that are held on campus, some days I would walk out of class and see a career fair going on with so many free t-shirts and who doesn't love free t-shirts. There was so much to learn about the campus opportunities, from fun events to all the amazing academic resources that can be taken advantage of. I started off with a heavy class load my first semester and really got involved with the personal tutors offered as well as the SI sessions held by other students. When I was done with stressful day of college work I looked forward to getting ready for the football games! Those were so much fun, the student section was always roaring with excitement about the game even if we weren't exactly kicking the other teams butt. The variety of excitement and experiences that flutter through the campus grounds is so welcoming. In my second semester I got more involved on campus, there are so many clubs to jump into, so I did just that. I joined gardening club as well as getting myself a job! UNCC offers so many on campus jobs for students it makes the idea of a broke college student fly away. Everyday I'm so excited to be on campus and start my day, this college makes you feel supported with everything they offer the student body. I am overwhelmed with joy for the choice I made when I committed to this university and I can't wait to spend the rest of my three years here!

thomasina

I love UNCC with all of my heart. I see it as one big melting pot of a variety of ethnicities, cultures, and opinions. At UNCC there are endless opportunities easily presented to students, but it is up to students to take advantage of the opportunities they are given. Not to mention the campus is one of the most beautiful campuses in NC!

Ryan

I've enjoyed my time here thus far. I, of course, have had those moments of hesitation where I wasn't sure if this was the right place for me, but I think it happens to everyone. In the Theatre major, it is easy to meet other Theatre majors, but hardly ever anyone on the outside. I'm currently working hard to create new independent projects that will bridge that gap.

Mark

Overall, my first semester and a half at UNCC has been amazing and much better than I would have ever thought. I came into here thinking that I would make do with what I had at the school but I have found that there is so much to do and the people are amazing. I have made lasting friendships and I cannot wait for the next four years.

Shannon

I think UNC Charlotte is a wonderful school. The academics are rigorous especially anything science or math based but the instructors are generally pretty helpful and willing to work with you to achieve the grade you desire. One thing that stands out to me about my school is how nice everyone is. Since being here I've noticed just about everyone has a positive attitude and drive to do well academically which is beneficial because it creates an atmosphere to work hard. Something else I really enjoy about this university is the campus itself. It is absolutely beautiful. Not a day has gone by that I haven't thought "what a beautiful place." As a current on campus resident I can honestly say that I love my dorm, everyone is friendly and the rooms are a comfortable size and very nice. As far as dining goes the food in the dining halls is pretty decent (for cafeteria style food) and the on campus options such as, subway and Chick-fil-A, are also good. I do however, wish we had a few more options. Overall I enjoy living here at UNCC and I love being a 49er!

Jonie

Its great! I love the beautiful campus and the majority of teachers are really nice! I feel like I am receiving a really good education and I am excited to complete my degree here. The biggest thing I do not like here are the amount of stairs. It is such a hilly campus, but other than that it is great!

Maddie

I love my school. I feel safe and at home here. There are many opportunities for students to feel involved and join clubs. There is a club for everything so no one is left out. There is a great dynamic between students and professors, most want the best for you and really try to work with you.