University of North Carolina at Charlotte Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of North Carolina at Charlotte

Natalia

Starting last Fall at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte was nerve-wracking for me especially coming from another state. However, the first day of freshman orientation I felt welcomed, even when speaking with advisors and taking campus tours. Faculty and staff at the University are always interactive with students and have their best interests in mind. My favorite commodity of this campus is all the available resources at the tip of your fingers, from the 10 story library to the free one on one tutoring services. Also, geographically this campus is in the middle of the Queen city and has great networks with companies and businesses in the uptown area which opens doors for various students to easily obtain an internship​. This campus was all that I ever imagined since I was a little girl.

UNCC is constantly growing and expanding. Most of the facilities are relatively new or renovated. It is not very far from the city so there are plenty of things to do on the weekend. However since it is such a large school it can be challenging to meet new people. Despite the challenge of meeting people it is a very nice school located in a very nice area.

Jacob

The campus is beautiful and there is a great atmosphere. There is always an organization or event to get involved in. It is a great place to learn and also get connected with other students and have a good time. The faculty do the best they can to make learning fun and easy

Jackson

The campus is clean and in good condition. Facilities are generally pretty nice but there are a few exceptions. Academically, the school is decent but they're are a few bad teachers and you don't always get the impression that the students are the brightest. In terms of social life, UNC Charlotte is one of the lamest schools in the state.

Daiana

Being a Charlotte 49er, like being a member of any other campus, has its benefits and drawbacks. If you're here to learn more about yourself and get your degree, then of course it is the place to be. There's plenty to do both on and off campus if you know who to ask and where to look. As a minority student, though, sometimes you can find yourself feeling alienated by your administration when it comes to certain controversies that are swept under the rug and mishandled, though there is a community of students that feel the same way as you.

Kara

I am very happy to be receiving my Master's degree from the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. One of the great things about this university is the diversity. I am surrounded by people from different countries and cultures and it helps to broaden my perspective of the world.

Austin

It's a great University with a lot of different opportunities and avenues in which you can grow and decide what you want to be post-graduation. The campus is beautiful, there's a variety of organizations for anyone, and it's always something to do either on campus or in the area. Some colleges and programs are stronger than others but in the end they all give a quality education and prepare you with internships or work experience to give you a leg up after you leave.

chis

I love it. My classes are great, and my professors are very knowledgeable. I lived in witherspoon for the past two years, and while it isn't the best dorm it has a nice community and parties every night from Thursday to Sunday. I'm hoping to pledge next year for Greek life. I also heard there are secret societies that seniors try to get into. A lot of upperclassmen I know who have graduated are doing really cool things. If I had to choose again, I would still pick Charlotte.

Rebecca

UNC Charlotte became my second home. I really fell in love with campus and all that was around including uptown Charlotte. I highly recommend living on campus the first year of going to UNC Charlotte. Mostly because it is a great way to make new friends!

Mia

UNC Charlotte is a quality, reasonably priced university with a variety of academic and extracurricular programs. The class sizes aren't too large and the professors have a sincere desire to see their students succeed. UNC Charlotte also boasts an excellent tutoring program and a beautiful campus.

Chloe

My overall opinion of UNCC is that it is a great school. We have a very diverse community here and there are many opportunities for extra curricular activities and getting involved with the environment. It is also a very welcoming community that encourages other students to get involved in activities. The academics and seminars are great and very informational as well.

Christlyn

I think the University of North Carolina at Charlotte has a nice, big campus and good professors that work hard to make students strive. Also, The college has many opportunities and fields you can go into. They have a nice place for athletics and food.

Sarra

I went here because it's home and due to life circumstances. If I had a do over I would've tried elsewhere. Graduation rate is currently 57%, retention rate is 82% I believe. Teachers are available but not all are competent or capable. I've had a creep Labor Economics professor who bullied me till I dropped his class because I rejected his sexual advances. Overall, most professors are nice, but usually inconsistent with rubrics. Not a terrible college, but not anyone's first choice. Also, expensive parking passes but insufficient parking.

Logan

As an undergraduate student, I enjoyed UNCC. I made great friends, I learned, I felt like I was prepared for my career. The only downfall was that many students were commuters so campus was often dead on the weekends compared to other colleges. As a graduate student, I have been disappointed in the staff changes, in lack of knowledge of my program, but I still have a positive outlook on UNCC as a whole.

Hailey

The University of North Carolina at Charlotte has made a good impression on me. I felt very comfortable while walking around the campus and I am excited to begin my academic career in the fall of 2018. Being able to have access to my professors and feel safe on campus is something that I feel extremely necessary which is why I have chosen this university.

Andrew

UNC Charlotte seems to be one of the better colleges in North Carolina. Most of the facility are new and the staff here are very nice. The professors also seem to love teaching their area of expertise. They are open to questions and willing to help those who want to learn. There is also opportunities to join student organizations that fit your interests here.

Austin

Personally I am really enjoying it! The campus itself is visually appealing to look at every day, the people are friendly and are always trying to get you involved in some way. Educationally, the teachers are always there for you. The only thing I could really complain about is the parking; it is expensive and there is not a lot of it!

caitlin

My overall opinion of University of North Carolina at Charlotte is that it is a good school. There really isn't a huge party scene to distract you, yes we have huge lecture classes but there are also many courses with smaller class sizes, the buildings are very well kept, and the professors for the most part are willing to help you out. One of the few downsides about UNCC is that there is always construction and parking can be hard to come by. Overall I enjoy the school it has a lot to offer.

Katelynn

very clean and friendly school who encourages student involvement in every aspect. One thing that really bothers me about the school is the parking situation. We pay $450 for a parking pass and there is basically never anywhere to park, they need to create more parking for students or either lower the cost of the parking passes.

Go

This university is a great place in this city! Shops are easy to find in the uptown, this university is literally in the middle of everything. The campus is so big and beautiful and housing are so diverse and available. Overall, this is one of the best school known for its diversity.

Meghan

Some of these things are difficult for me to rate since I am an adult student who has never lived on or near campus. I did have to tour the dorms and they actually looked pretty nice, the one we walked through had a common area with separate rooms for the students who live there. They all seem very secure with ID card swipe for entry. The one we toured had a large community area with televisions and a pool table. Some dorms are newer, some older, so I went with a middle-road 3 stars. Off campus living seems pretty close and most have shuttles to campus; however, many shuttles are not 24 hours as I found out by a classmate, so if you are pulling an all-nighter in the library, be prepared to commit. Most that I have seen have gated entry, but it also does not seem like people abide by the whole, go in and let the gate close on the person behind you principle. Other than that, they all look like regular apartment buildings. I feel mostly safe on campus, but rated it as a four because it is an open campus, so anyone can come and go. The open campus format also lends to some pretty interesting protest groups setting up. I've never seen anything get out of hand or violent. Sometimes students will argue in an open debate format, sometimes they will go live with the protestor in the background, most just ignore it and carry on with their day. Food is kind of expensive on campus. I try to bring snacks and eat as little as possible because of that. There is variety, but all lines seem long during peak hours, so if you have a quick break between classes around lunch time, you may have to get creative or lucky if you don't want to be late. There are some off campus options and a few grocery stores. There is also a light rail that just opened that provides a quick way to uptown. I know drinking occurs, but not everyone does. There is a wide variety of students in both background and age, so there are resources to accommodate like the Office of Adult Students and Evening Services (OASES), International Students and Scholar Office, and the Veteran Services Office. Academics is good. Most of my professors have been available, most have office hours, most will do what they can to help you succeed. You have to put in the work, but go to class, pay attention, and communicate any concerns with your professor. You will always get a syllabus with class expectations, so follow it. There are also resources for tutoring if you need one-on-one help with a subject, and many of my science classes have had supplemental instructors who attend your class and follow along then hold tutoring sessions over the material. These are great resources outside of your instructor. I am not currently involved in any extra curricular activities and I have not attended any athletic events, but I can say there are several clubs and our student-athletes are proud and work hard. If you live on campus, there is almost always something going on at the Pop Martin Student Union. A lot of things happen in the evening after I leave campus, so I cannot attest to the quality of the events, but students who plan and market these events are always excited to share the information. Overall it is a great school, and I am lucky to have ended up where I am. As a non-traditional student, I feel I am getting what I need out of my time here and I do not feel like opportunities are being withheld because I chose to do other things before attending college. I have felt that at other schools that I have spoken to, but not UNCC.

Jesse

It's a large campus with a large student body. I have a 10 minute commute from my house. The whole campus system is connected online and easily accessible for homework and registering for classes. UNC Charlotte has many career centered buildings on campus and many great career programs. UNC Charlotte is a great college!

Lea

I've just completed my first full semester here and I am truly enjoying college life. The college is on the smaller side which I enjoy, you can walk the whole campus in under an hour if you really wanted to. Also, it's not that close to the city which as someone who grew up on a small farm I appreciate, but Uptown is only a 20-minute drive away so my friends and I can easily get off campus and enjoy the city. I do have to say that parking is a bit of a hassle. Charlotte is still primarily a commuter school so there are always cars coming and going. On-campus housing is decent, at the moment I'm in the crappy freshman dorm so it's the worse type of dorm on campus but I know there are better ones. Overall, this is a good school and I would recommend anyone to apply here.

Brock

Most students are very opinionated, but I love the overall school.

I love my school I just wish more things were included in my tuition since there are so many extra costs.

Andrew

UNCC Is a great school to both learn and have fun at. The classes are challenging and will require lots of work, but when you want to go have fun there is plenty to do. Teachers are honest with students about expectations and are fair graders. Lots of activities available to get students involved.

Jacob

The University of North Carolina at Charlotte offers a high-quality, low-cost education. It is a good deal for the price. The facilities are up to date and the location is ideal. Professors at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte are actively involved in the business and political environments in Charlotte.

Kaetlin

I love this school! With the new Football team added to the campus it really brings everyone together during the games and it carries over in campus life. The Student union is beautiful and the movie theater is fun on nights when you don't have much planned. And being near a big city means that there is always something to do and there are plenty of resources out there.

Victoria

The University of North Carolina at Charlotte is a commuter school, meaning most people spend time on campus during the day and leave during the evening. Parking can get crazy but most of the student body are friendly individuals. This institution has a good academic system and there are some caring, dedicated professors. I have made many memories at this school and I am forever grateful for the opportunities I have received.

Kameran

I absolutely love my school!Its beautiful campus filled with beautiful people, the superb academics and organizations, as well as the culture of the magnificent Queen City all contribute to the stellar establishment that I am elated to call my school. Go Niners!

Kala

The campus is beautiful and the people are very diverse. Teachers make themselves available by providing office hours, so if you ever need help don't be afraid to contact them. The extracurricular activities provide an outlet besides classwork and give you the opportunity to make great friends. If you decide to attend this university you feel right at home

Andres

It is a very good school ,although the department of Music is still growing it has the advantage that you have more personalized classes .

Samuel

The liberal arts are well supported, the STEM fields not so much. The only exceptions are the colleges of engineering and business, which both do fairly well for themselves. The facilities are pretty nice. Our library is huge and usually pretty relaxing. The food is also top notch, but it is a little pricey and there are usually huge lines at the best places. You do have to grab one of the good dorms fairly quick. Trees are everywhere, and the buildings are for the most part up to date. Getting around the campus is a pain. Parking is atrocious, and the buses are never on time. Furthermore, walking means going uphill in both directions. The professors are easily found, extra help is easy to come by, and our sports and clubs are fun to watch and be in. All around, its a good place to kick back and relax.

Nate

It is an amazing school and I can not wait to attend next year. The campus is very nice and easy to navigate, which is a big plus for me. From what I have seen, there is activities for everyone to participate in. I will be attending next year and it seems like the perfect school for me.

Samaria

I think the the University of North Carolina at Charlotte is an overall good school. I feel that so far all the teachers have been very helpful and dedicated to their students. The facility is very nice and is well maintained. I do like the location being in Charlotte but an issue I have is that there is not a lot of places surrounding the campus. You have to have a car to travel.

Drew

I think UNCC is one of the better public universities for people to go to if they're not sure what they won't to do yet. Except business there is a great business school. It is one of those colleges that is similar to what people see in a movie and at the end of the movie the main character has "found himself/herself."

Valeria

Personally, I'm in love with UNCC from the moment I stepped into it. The environment, the culture, all of it partakes in a memorable college experience, which UNCC definitely has. The students and teachers were very nice and helpful. Over all everytime I go an visit UNCC, I fall in love.

Christopher

The culture on campus is positive and promotes academic success!!!! The teachers are very helpful and there are multiple resources on campus that are available for you as a student. Also, the campus is absolutely beautiful and vibrate. Overall, UNCC is a great place to continue your academic career.

Payton

UNC Charlotte is a very diverse school, everyone is able to express themselves in a way they feel necessary. It is also very inclusive, there is something for everyone so that everyone can have a place where they feel like they belong. The people there are extremely helpful and accessible, whether it be other students or faculty.

For undergraduate studies I had a wonderful experience. I had challenging academics, met some of my best friends and even had the chance to develop leadership skills within my sorority. It is a great school with a great reputation. The only downside would be that we are not that wonderful at sports.

G

Horrible university administration. Have personally experienced many injustices with unfounded claims.

Jenna

The University of North Carolina at Charlotte is perhaps the most welcoming and diverse college in North Carolina. Academics are truly a top priority for both the professors and students alike. The campus is beautiful and there are resources available for every need.

Molina

I love my school. The campus is beautiful and everyone for the most part is wonderful. I have not had a bad experience in my classes with my professors and if you work hard, you will succeed. The student body knows how to have fun but also knows when to hit the books, especially when we're in Atkins Library, which is open 24/7.

Sonja

UNCC is everything I wanted from college and even more. I just finished my Freshman year on this beautiful, village-like campus. We are located 20 minutes away from downtown Charlotte, so we are close to the city life - yet still remain as our own community. The social life at UNCC is lively, and the variety of students with different backgrounds and views is amazing. Yet, we still remain a rather liberal college - where I personally feel like I fit right in. Many of the residence halls are new, and the older ones are soon to be updated. The university is constantly reconstructing buildings to modernize the campus. When it comes to academics, UNCC has much to offer. Google is your best friend when looking up classes and professors. Getting the right class with the right professor can boost one's class performance immensely.

Lucero

I love the university, I feel at home every time I'm there. I love that being in Charlotte gives everyone a chance to express themselves and feel very comfortable doing it. Not only is the university beautiful, but my peers and professors are always willing to go the extra mile to help each other out, whether it be with homework or personal problems. Go Niners!

Kierstin

UNCC is a beautiful campus and many places to explore. Our professors really seem to care about how we do and want to help as much as possible and we also have access to free tutoring and advising. There are many opportunities to take advantage of!

Maria

My overalls opinion about my school is that it is a very diverse and very welcoming to each individual student. My school is a safe school and offers many opportunities to get connected on campus. It has one of the biggest and strongest communities I have come to love. I would highly recommend this school to others.

Daytona

At first I was a little skeptical about going to the University of North Carolina at Charlotte because it was in Charlotte, which is a busy city that I'm not accustomed to. However, if I could go back and redo it all over again I would absolutely select UNCC over and over again. When I first arrived on the campus I was astounded by how beautiful and well kept it was and still is. Yes, it is a large campus, and I was scared that I was going to be late to every one of my classes, but the bus system that UNCC has provided makes navigating around campus a breeze; plus, there's an app! Additionally, the student body is very diverse, and I have enjoyed being a part of numerous student-ran, academic and recreational clubs and organizations that are located on the campus. Honestly, I am continuously amazed by how open the university staff is in supporting students' aspirations of personal growth and in the community. By providing free career coaches, academic tutors, funds for clubs and continous on campus activities, accessable and readily available technologies, and a state of the art recreational center, the students of UNCC, including myself, are always given access to the resources they needed to become healthy, productive, and successful young adults, all while providing entertainment on campus! I honestly could not be happier with my experience at UNCC so far, and my love for the school, student body, and faculty has motivated me to continue on to obtain my Master's of Business Administration at UNCC. I will forever have Niner pride.

Cassandra

I have attended two other colleges, and am so pleased with this university. They support and engage students. There are opportunities for people with varying interests. The instructors are engaging and support students in and out of the classroom. This school is conveniently located north of Charlotte, NC. This provides many opportunities for students and the university is well known and well liked locally which affords chances for students to get involved with their community. It is popular among local residents and a surprising amount of the student population is local. At the same time, it is the most diverse campus I have been on and there is support and networks for international and minority students. The university also offers great rewards and recognition for academics. Although the school is not prestigious or makes a large profit from their sports programs, I feel that they spare no expense in accommodating the needs of students.

Tydah

One of the most diverse Universities in North Carolina. The atmosphere is open and lively and there re many opportunities to find life long friends and future careers. This school is always looking for new ways to help make the students better leaders for the future.