University of North Carolina at Greensboro Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of North Carolina at Greensboro

Caroline

I feel that UNCG is a great experience and a great place for young adults fresh out of their parents' homes to stretch their minds and selves with adjusting to being responsible for themselves. UNCG is a beautiful campus and is very safe. They've recently built a new police station, and offer multiple avenues of safety alerts and getting assistance. UNCG has many places to walk to class, offering plenty of sidewalks and bike lanes, through their beautiful campus and the surrounding neighborhoods.

isabella

My opinion on the University of North Carolina at Greensboro is that I absolutely love it. From the moment I stepped on campus I knew that this was somewhere I wanted to spend my four years of college at. I plan to attend the university for a business and marketing degree for the fall of 2022. I toured the school and got a great glimpse of everything it has to offer. I was pleased to see the beautiful campus, great cafeteria food, and friendly staff and students with many opportunities of clubs to join. I am a very social person so it was very relaxing to know that they have a Greek life as well as a club for literally anything you can think of! Out of all North Carolina schools I toured, the University of North Carolina at Greensboro felt the most at home. I think that anybody would be blessed to have the opportunity of going to this college, or at least touring it.

Brandon

I feel that this is the absolute best school for those that want a school close to home if you live in North Carolina. I also believe that this school has a lot to offer and many chances for me to make a difference while I’m here. Lastly if you love great food, I highly suggest you come and visit our dining hall, they make wonderful dishes.

Destiny

one word, amazing! I love it, I am going for fall 2021!! At first, I was a little scared about going to UNCG or college in general being that I would be the first generation to go. One time I went to the school for a dance performance my high school had to do and let me say it WAS a lot of walking but everything was so amazing to see! I felt so safe seeing police poles everywhere I looked and knowing they have their own on-campus police department.

Cristina

Overall this school is pretty good. The people are very nice and there were lots of things to do on campus pre covid. There are still many different clubs to join and lots of activities to do but most are over zoom now. As far as campus dining, I would recommend getting a meal plan that has more flex because the dining hall food gets boring after your first year. The last thing I would like to mention is don't walk to Tate st alone. More than once there has been creeps following me and my friends when we were in pairs or alone. I'd recommend having 2 or 3 other friends with you if you're planning on walking there at night. Outside of that campus is super great and on campus is really safe for students.

Maya

The University of North Carolina at Greensboro is an exceptional university. The teachers and staff are very attentive and friendly. The professors understand their students and work to help their student understand their work and navigate through college. On campus housing is okay, the housing and residence life staff and fix-it staff respond in a timely manner and try their best to adhere to your needs. The food in the cafe is not the greatest on the weekends but the food is decent and sometimes even good during the week. The kitchen staff tries to mix it up by throwing in themed days throughout the year which always means a good meal is coming. There are plenty of other dining options on and around campus. There are also plenty of things to do on or around campus, if one truly wants to go out and explore, UNCG is the best campus to do that on. There is something new to do or learn about everyday.

Sidney

I love this university. It feels so much like a home. The staff are very personable and helpful. Although some professors can be standoffish at first (which is expected when working with students) they are incredibly active in their students academic goals both in the classroom and out.

Kaleb

Great faculty, nice facilities and a nice environment. A lot of available off campus living near and around the university. The faculty has always been readily available for me to contact when needed. There are great food options on and around campus as well.

Victoria

UNCG was a fun school to be at. Greensboro is small (i.e. not very much going on), but UNCG makes up for it with the RAs trying to keep everybody involved on campus and then the off-campus house parties. Campus was really safe, very walkable and compact, just watch out if you venture off campus as it can get kind of sketchy in the surrounding areas. The School of Music was GORGEOUS. New, beautiful with a bunch of practice rooms, soaring ceilings. If you're a music major, that school feels like you have MADE it. Campus life always had a bunch going on, whether it was snowball fights when it snowed or playing soccer on the lawn. Starbucks in the student center was life. Great school, very artsy.

ZaNaiya

One thing I love the most about UNCG is how involved the students are with their academic lives. We strive to be some of the best students and will continue to strive after graduating. I also love how we all celebrate the history of Greensboro and the school.

Josette

I love it here!!

Hunter

As a rising Junior in the Bryan Business School at UNCG, I could not be happier. The professors are willing to help you if you show that you are driven, class sizes are small enough you can ask questions, but big enough that you could miss class and not too many people would care. There are plenty of clubs and organizations to get involved in that can help you professionally. If you are passionate about your major, going to class and doing well should not be a problem for you.

Arron

It is a decent sized university with plenty of professors willing to help. The students seemed very friendly and the professors answered every question. The campus is easy to navigate, and there's plenty of safe activities to partake in, such as club meetings and study groups.

Suzanne

Impressive and cheaper than most other universities. Academically challenging for the most part. The professors really make the classes. Be sure to put effort into choosing them. There are plenty of interesting classes here that can be taken for general requirements. Make sure to check them out. Lots of extracurricular stuff, clubs, groups, events. The food isn't bad, either.

Brianna

UNCG is an overall great school. There is lots of diversity throughout the campus. There is a variety of classes, with a focus mostly on arts and sciences. Sports are not a very big thing here. We don't have a football team, but we do offer other fun sports and activities, like Quidditch!

Sophie

The University of North Carolina at Greensboro has a gorgeous campus and a good community of students. The professors here are great and they're always there to help you succeed. There are also tons of resources to use if you need extra help outside of the classroom, such as tutoring and the writing center. Unfortunately, we don't have football, but basketball is the big sport to follow and we have a pretty good team this season. It gets pretty quiet on the weekends, as a lot of students typically go home, but it doesn't become a ghost town. I love this school and I feel like it's a great fit for me!

Kirby

My overall opinion of UNC Greensboro is that it takes a while to transition but once you have found a group of people you feel comfortable with, everything else just smooths out. The campus facilities are slightly lacking with the exception of the brand new recreation center that has high end exercise machines and is beautifully designed. The other facilities are simple and mainly just lounge areas for students to congregate. The academics are great, I have received highly educated professors and I believe it is severely underrated. The campus housing and cafe food are below par and could be improved with updated residences that are not reminiscent of the 80's, and higher quality food that is fresh.

L

At UNCG, they prepare you for student teaching and the the outside world by giving plenty of opportunities to gain expereince and at a perfect pace. The class sizes are generally small, there is a teaching resource's center with tons of supplies you can loan out for free, and most professors are very supportive in your development as a professional. In addition, there are free lockers and corrals in the nine story library as well as free tutor and academic skills resources. You can learn how to study, take notes, and have a mentor to help you on your way to graduation.

TyTiana

I feel at home at UNCG. The campus is very diverse and there are plenty of activities on and off campus for students to feel involved in. Our school is very progressive when it comes to LGTBQ+, minority, and civil/social rights in general. I take pride in my school's culture as well as it's background -- I wouldn't be happier anyplace else.

TREVIA

My overall opinion is I like the new school, being a new student it took me a minute to learn the campus. The other students have been very friendly to me which has allowed to fix right in.

Shammond (Kel)

If I had been instructed to choose one word that describes The University of North Carolina at Greensboro, it'd be: colorful. Imagine stepping into a realm of beautiful imagery. As you look around, you see an abundance of varying identities living amongst and interacting with one another in harmony. You feel a sense of comfort as you see people, who identify differently, embrace one another with open arms & kind words; they value and respect one another's perspectives. That is what it feels like to attend a university that whose motto is service and actively embodies a culture of care. If "home is where the heart is," then UNCG has my heart; it feels like home. Since I’ve been home (UNCG), I’ve grown more in the last 10 months than I have in the last 12 years (mentally, of course). I’ve learned the meaning of service-leadership through the Lloyd International Honors College, spending time with the refugees at The Center for New North Carolinians. It’s beautiful how similar we all are in nature, regardless of origin. Aside from that, I’ve learned to recognize the importance of student-leadership through the New Student Transitions and First Year Experience office. I’ve become more involved than I’ve ever been in my entire academic career. I’m currently serving as a Spartan Orientation Staff (SOS) Member, which is a very specific title for what most would refer to as an OL, or orientation leader. Alongside that, I am also a Peer Academic Leader (PAL). I primarily serve the first-year student population as role model/mentor, while simultaneously acting as teaching assistant and student-faculty liaison. I say all of this to say that the University of North Carolina at Greensboro is an amazing institution that has helped me solidify and hone my strengths as a student, employee, and friend. UNCG provides upscale facilities, a noticeable culture of care, and a safe environment for all students. In the words of one of my favorite chants: “I’m an S-P-A-R-T-A-N! I love the G so much, I think I’ll say it again.” I love my UNCG.

Zoe

As a school that was not originally my first choice, I have to say I've been impressed in many ways. The campus is small, but beautiful. The teachers are very attentive and kind as far as I've seen. The sense of community is there for anyone who is looking. It has amazing opportunities left and right, it's just up to us to take them.

Alondra

It's a beautiful campus with great professors. The professors all have offices hours were you can just walk in without an appointment if you have any questions. Also, if their offices hours don't work with your schedule you can email them and set up an appointment. Everyone wants what's best for the students.

Raina

I think that it's a great, diverse, and welcoming school. The campus is beautiful and clean and I enjoy walking around even when I'm not going to class. The professors are great (for the most part) and you will definitely meet some interesting characters!

maygan

As an involved student in my high school, I came to the university in search of involvement and a strong surrounding community, like the atmosphere I left at high school, I've received that at UNCG. UNCG continues to surprise me, I had originally thought I had learned everything about the university within the first few weeks of school, yet I'm continuing to find things I love about UNCG every week. UNCG's facilities are always available to students, offering unique activities such as our innertube water polo or our annual campus-wide zombie nerf-gun battle. The faculty is constantly putting forth their best efforts, inspiring students to do the same, providing an atmosphere of welcome learning. Thel longer I attend UNCG, the harder it becomes for me to picture going to any of my other options I considered for college.

Sierra

It's a good school. I get great education and I love it. I wish they had more groups for African Americans it can be hard to find your place when you go to a PWI. I believe the only thing that we do have that we can enjoy is fried chicken Wednesdays. The art classes at uncg are awesome. The teachers are great and they show interest in the students who work hard day in and day out and want to become the best art students or students period. Though again, I wish we had more African American art professors because the staff is not diverse at all and being a student its good to see diversity among staff members and students. As far as safety I feel pretty safe at Uncg. I have had night classes and I do let people know where I am but more so for there ease of thought not mine. I have never felt threatened by anyone or anything and this year will be my senior year so I am happy. Campus food is good the café has a variety of fast food choices all the way to vegan choices and its quite tasty. Living on campus is expensive but the dorms are nice the higher the class your in I find the better your housing will become. I advise that if at all possible and if you feel you are ready to get off campus housing because your meal plan and housing is what takes up so much of your tuition and like any school Uncg thrives off of money and the things they can showcase from it including our new gym.

jazmin

The campus is really beautiful and it is so diverse. There are many organizations you can join and the people are very friendly. Downtown Greensboro is within walking distance, the college is in the heart of the city and there are always events happening downtown and on campus. There are many unique and interesting shops nearby. My overall experience has been lovely thus far.

Molly

Before attending UNCG, the thought of it never crossed my mind. It is not a school that is talked about by the mass population; however, that fact breaks my heart. After 3 semesters, I have told numerous people how underrated the school truly is. The class size, the students, the professors, and the overall atmosphere of the school has won my heart. I have found the college at which I belong, and I am beyond thankful that I am here. I look forward to every new day and every new experience which comes along with it. My favorite aspect of the school is the diversity. I have been forced to expand my mind past the limits which I did not know existed. I encourage everyone to consider attending because I assure it has brought more than I could have ever expected.

Alexa

First coming to UNCG I really enjoyed the people and the classes, but after the first couple months you realize just how unwilling they are to help students in any financial area. UNCG does not do merit scholarships, and when asked other ways to get help the only thing they could come up with was to ask my mother to take out loans. There's only one week left in the semester and they've added an additional 400$ onto my bill without even notifying me. Great school for Education and Nursing, just be aware that coming to this school means you will get little to no financial help.

Charmaine

The connections aren't made for you, but this can certainly be overcome. Some students live in their major's building and some spent all of their time in their dorm rooms. It depends on how demanding the major is. Greensboro has five colleges/universities,but I wouldn't actually consider it a college town. Sure lots of students live there, but there's not an youthful atmosphere is Greensboro. I disagree with people who say the school does not provide quality education. People who think they just give out A's in this school are usually the ignorant who have not yet reached higher level classes. Of course a 100 level class is easy, you might as well be taking a high school course. But when you get into the higher levels that's when you are really challenged. The biology and chemistry department have helpful teachers who, for the most part, like to provide assistance.

Ayden

It is a very green and vibrant school with truly colorful people with all different kinds of backgrounds and culture. If you visit there is no chance you won't leave not becoming inspired or learning something. It is really the best choice of school for any student with something to offer everybody. The facilities are nice especially with the new gym which will really make you want to get fit and/or have fun with friends. The food options can be redundant at times, but then again i can be a picky eater. Please check out this school you will not be disappointed.

Talisha

College is always a place where you are tying to figure yourself out and discover new things about who you are and your visions for your future. At University of North Carolina at Greensboro, it is a safe place where everyone can be themselves, a very non-judgmental environment.

UNCG is great place for students to learn in a non-stressful, competitive environment. Of course, the professors and professional staff encourage everyone to succeed but we're not pressured to be perfect and top of the class. The professors understand that everyone learns differently and have different strengths/weakness so, they provide assistance/support when needed. From my personal experience, even in a 100+ student class, the professor knew my name. Which is super impressive! The environment around UNCG is very peaceful and laid back. People are supportive, fun, and accepting. The classes are fun and the professors are passionate about their subject, which reflects in their classes. UNCG has a large number of international students and a large number of students going abroad. Study abroad is one of the most important aspects of education at UNCG and everyone will help you get there if you wish to go!

Shanika

The University of North Carolina at Greensboro is a great school. From my first tour of campus to orientation for first time students, I always felt welcomed. The first day of class, I was nervous that I would get lost and would not be able to find my classes. There were people all around campus with bright colored shirts giving directions to make sure students made it to class. The university is a great size; it’s not too big, or too small, it is just right. The class size is not too big and every professor has office hours and are willing to meet with students by appointments as well. The campus is very diverse and that is what I like about it the most. I enjoy meeting people from different walks of life and being able to learn from other students as if they were professors. There is always something going on a campus, a variety of food selections, and being in a city with different things to do. This university provides plenty of beneficial resources to their students that help us be successful inside and outside of the classroom. They encourage us to engage in extracurricular activities, community service, and volunteer on campus. If anything goes wrong on campus or in surrounding areas; the students, staff and faculty are notified through text messages and emails immediately. The UNCG police is available all the time therefore, I always feel safe and protected on campus. If anyone is considering going to UNCG, this is a great choice and you will be a great asset to our campus!

Jorden

The University of North Carolina at Greensboro is an overall great school. It is named the most diverse school in the UNC system as well as an International School. I really enjoy the many different cultures that I am surrounded by everyday, including the calming yet determined atmosphere.

Amiah

I enjoy being at UNCG. There are so many wonderful opportunities to explore your interest and work on your well being. The food is wonderful, with so many options to accommodate every individuals preferences. There is so much diversity and open opportunities to learn and explore the world. The professors are so helpful and encouraging to the students and help them accomplish their academic goals.

Marah

I really enjoy this school. It is diverse and has allowed me to really reach outside my comfort zone. I love this new experience that is college especially at this school. The tuition is also cheap yet you get your moneys worth. Also I am involved in greek life and it is for sure the way to go.

Mia

UNCG is a great school! It is very diverse and have many activities that students can participant in and many clubs and organizations that I have yet decided which one ,or two, I would like to join! There are many fun classes with great teachers and advisers who will help you all the way! I have met great new friends my first year and I am hoping to meet some more in the following years.

Ariel

UNCG is a very beautiful and inclusive campus. You can attend events and feel included regardless of race, social class, ethnicity, sexual preference, etc. The professors make sure that they inform their students of their availability, office hours, contact information, etc. They are mostly easy to talk to and encourage their students to ask questions. Everyone on campus is pretty nice and are reminded that this campus is inclusive and that they should be too. The facilities are nice and pretty easy to find and access. There are limited resources and people to ask for information. Students are usually not hesitant to help someone out, especially if they are lost. UNCG's student organizations are also enthusiastic about collaborations and what they do.

Meghan

It's a good university with a great environment for learning. It's not the best in the world, but it's home for now. The campus itself is pretty nice, but some of the surrounding areas are a bit trashy that could be cleaned up a bit to bring some more appeal to the campus overall.

Alanah

I have thoroughly overall enjoyed my time at UNCG!! My experience with the pre-nursing course track and the nursing track has been streamlined and focuses, and rarely did I feel like my time and efforts have not been respected. The university has never once made me regret my choice to come here!!

Justin

My overall opinion about this university is that it is not what I thought it would be like, but that doesn't mean that the college is not amazing. I still love going to school here, I love the people, and I love the classes. This campus may not be the utopia I thought it would be but it is still a campus that I really love being on and want to be a part of this community they have created.

Arel

UNCG has an incredibly inviting campus with students who are excited to learn and excited to make friends. Not only are the professors passionate and engaging, but the staff gets to know students by name. The cafeteria has a good variety of food, however the hours are not ideal. We have incredible facilities here, especially the wellness center, which provides work out options for every type of person. There are always activities to participate in on the weekend, and basketball games here are a huge event! UNCG is a very welcoming and accepting school, that has something for everyone.

Ajah

I absolutely adore my school! I knew since the day I stepped on campus during my tour that this was my school. UNCG has something for everyone. In my one year of attending school here, I have had more opportunities of growth and resume expansion than I could dream of. It's nearly impossible to not find some way to make this school your home. And the diversity on campus is just beautiful. If you want to go to a college that will challenge you, for the better, academically, socially, spiritually, and personally, UNCG is just the school for you! I feel my degree will be well earned and well worth it when I graduate.

Karlie

UNCG is a well spaced out and beautiful campus. The education in the arts and business school are great and well known for. Since the campus is so big I would recommend walking with a friend or group at night. The surrounding area as many activities, shops, and other colleges which makes it easy to find jobs or future career connections.

Jodesia

Campus is perfect size, not too small, not too late. Very diverse and modernized.

April

It's a pretty great school. The campus is gorgeous and it's not too big or too small. Takes about 15 minutes to walk from one end to the other. Academics tend to be rigorous as well. There's also plenty of events that happen on or around campus just about everyday, and the city of Greensboro is accessible by bus, which students ride for free.

Crystal

UNCG is one of the most diverse and accepting university in North Carolina. It's a small-medium sized school but it is extremely beautiful. There is always an activity or event to attend on campus allowing you to get involved. We are big on sports, our basketball games are lit! In the end I feel like the school provides us with all the tools and resources/ opportunities we need to succeed in and out of school. Not to mention it's overall cost of attendance is relatively lower than most instate schools. The school is not perfect but they are always working towards bettering itself.

Al

I believe UNCG is a home away from home. I fell in love with the campus and the people there. They extended such a warm welcome and were so excited to have newcomers on their campus. There are so many different people that it’s someone for everyone. I also love the size of the campus because it feels so much like home

Akira

UNCG is definitely one of the most diverse universities in NC. The cafe food is good compared to other universities considering the variety and buffet style going on for most of the day. We also have a lot of choices as far as on-campus restaurants. I love the campus and the surrounding shops/stores are very convenient. Assigned advisors are very helpful.