University of North Carolina School of the Arts Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of North Carolina School of the Arts

Julia

You will adore this place if you love your art. Speaking from the perspective of a film student (because we also have, design and production, dance, drama, and music), this is THE best place to gain experience before venturing out and starting your career. The school of filmmaking is basically its own production company and in your first weeks at school you start making films around campus and on sound stages. You also interview with upperclassmen to get jobs on the third and fourth year thesis films. Only one month into school I was already getting on set experience. Expect to get jobs as a PA, crafty, location scout, grip, or electric. The more rare jobs to get as a first year are 2nd-2nd AD, camera PA and production coordinator. At other schools, students wouldn't even get to think about getting on set or making collaborative films until their second or third year meanwhile at UNCSA your name will be in the credits and your shorts will be screened in our theaters. The community here is positively uplifting and I can't image going anywhere else and getting the experience and education I am getting.

Gage

If you are in love with the arts this is by far one of the best schools you can attend. Everyone around you is just as dedicated to their arts as you are. It's a friendly campus with great professors. There are so many tools to really get in depth with your arts and learn absolutely everything there is about the art style you love and enjoy. The school might not be the regular college experience, and the campus is small, BUT you will be so busy doing what you love that it won't make any difference. Also, it's not like there isn't regular college experiences. There are still plenty of parties, and college activities. If you love the the arts, this IS the school for you.

Long

University of North Carolina School of the Arts is a great place to spend your student life with other passionate artists. Here, not only can you gain more knowledge about your art and passion, but you will grow together with fellow aspriring artists and refine you personality as a person in a bigger community.

Don

An above average institution in regards to the faculty. The program is new, so the direction / philosophy needs a bit of tweaking to find the best direction it should take for its students' sake. The campus has been cobbled together in a piecemeal fashion; however, the film facilities are more than adequate, especially considering that it's located in a state that has not been friendly to education over recent years.

Vianelli

University of North Carolina, School of the Arts (UNCSA) is an incredible school. One that I am wholly satisfied with attending. It's a small school where everybody knows everybody else, including professors across all divisions of the film school that one wouldn't meet normally. Even as part of the student body I am challenged to get to know as many students in the other schools (music, dance, drama, etc) as I possibly can so that I may work with them in projects, and create lasting relationships. The mentorship that I have received at UNCSA from each of my professors has been invaluable to me as a person. I feel more capable to achieve my goals in the film industry than I ever could have on my own, and it is entirely because of the tutelage I have received from such a small, but tight-knit community.

Shelby

University of North Carolina School of the Arts is an immensely deep and fascinatingly progressive environment. Everyone, including teachers, take conversation and discovery to such a place of creativity that we develop not only great work ethics but full appreciation for our arts.

Skye

I am in the high school program at the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and it has some great things about it! One thing I really enjoy about the school is how amazing the faculty is, for such a small school that is a really surprising aspect. Another thing I enjoy is all the opportunities to go to performances (for free usually). There is also exposure to many different types of art other than your own which is cool too. However, some of the facilities aren't great and the food isn't good.

Matthew

It is a great university. The workload is a bit more intense than I was previously used to, but considering it is a conservatory designed to prepare us for the professional world, it is perfectly understandable. We are currently working on getting a graduate level of our student government going, so mroe students will be represented and have a voice.

Grace

UNCSA is the place to go for artistic souls. Everyone here will support and encourage you to tell the stories you feel you need to tell. The faculty are supportive, but also realistic and want to fully prepare you for life outside of school. I am extremely happy that I am at this school, not only because of the community and education but also because I feel sure that I will have work within my discipline when I leave, thanks to their preparedness and resources.

Nadia

Visiting the campus was a nice experience. I liked how everywhere we went is was explained in detail. I enjoyed seeing some of the students in action, enjoying their art. I saw some people dancing, some playing an instrument, some doing hair and some just walking around enjoying their day on campus.

Summer

It is the very best for each of it's five majors. If you want to learn how to do what you love correctly, this is the place to go. As a film student, I am 100% confident in my ability to find a job after graduating this school because of the intensity of training and experience the students receive here.

Ashlyn

The University of North Carolina School of the Arts is a school like no other. If you want your dream college experience with sororities and frats, football games, and parties practically every weekend. Then UNCSA is not the place for you. While, yes, this school helps fulfill dreams, they are not the dreams of an average college aged person. These dreams are the ones that we did not give up on as children. We kept those dreams and they grew into ideas of out futures. This school teaches us the discipline and the hard work that comes with trying to live out our dreams of making art. When you come to the school, you are automatically treated like a professional in your field of art. Dancers are in the studios rehearsing for 12 or more hours a day. Drama students are emerged into several different art forms such as: acting, singing, dancing, and stage combat to prepare them for any role. Music students are continuously practicing in their practice rooms. Film students are constantly looking for inspiration for their next mind-blowing film. And lastly, design and production students work tirelessly, day and night to make sure all of the shows that the school puts on run smoothly. The best part about having all of these people, from different art forms, all in one place is it allows for so much collaboration. For example, if a dancer wants to choreograph a new work but wants live music, they could just talk to a music major that is in their 9 A.M. academic. However, they wanted special lighting for this piece as well. All they would have to do is probably knock on their nextdoor neighbor’s door, who is a lighting design major, to come and help them. UNCSA is a magical place, and I am so grateful to have the opportunity to attend.