Wilmington, NC
University of North Carolina Wilmington

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of North Carolina Wilmington

Laurel

University of North Carolina at Wilmington is known for the beach and the people that the beach invites. We are also known for our marine biology program and that why it attracts so many international and far away students.

The enviromental aspect of our school is a different feeling since we are so close to the beach. Everyone has the beach attitude and is always laid back and ready to relax on the beach. Since everyone is involved with the beach, it is really easy to meet new people and find something in common because the beach is the perfect place for everyone to come together and have a good time. Also, the diversity is all around because people come from all over the place to a school at the beach.

Hey you, the stressed out girl with the make up and expensive clothes, yeah you. Stop worrying about what everyone thinks about you so much! Right now, high school seems like the most important thing in the world and if one things mess up, your life will fall apart. Now that I have been through college, I have realized that high school is a tiny stepping-stone in your life. High school should be about the stereotypical high school things. So, go to the junior dance, go to that Friday night football game. These four years should be about figuring out who you want to be in life but with no stress! Your parents are here to help you and everything you are struggling with right now will fade away soon and will be nothing but a funny memory in the future. Also, work harder on your schoolwork and work harder on yourself. What you do now may not affect you greatly in a few years, but you will have things you wish you would have done so do not let that happen. Take every opportunity and give it one hundred percent! Everything will work itself out, do not worry.

Tyler

Study hard but dont worry so about grades. Be more responsible with my school work.

The size of the campus. Classes are a short walk or bike ride from dorms.

Meaghan

From what I have heard and experienced so far, my classmates are very well educated and well-spoken.

The best advice I could give myself is to just relax; don't borrow tomorrow's troubles. There is no sense in stressing yourself out over things you don't know about. Also, don't worry about making friends, just be yourself; with thousands of people on campus there are going to be people you get along with. Last, put yourself out there and try new things. Get out of your house/dorm and go do something, anything. The more often you are out and about, the more likely it is for you to run into classmates and make friends; there is a time and place for homework and studying, but there is also a time and place to meet new people.

I don't know if there is anyone who should not attend UNCW. They have something for everyone. If I had to choose, I would say anyone not serious about their education, because at UNCW education is taken very seriously.

Ariel

UNCW is known for its marine biology program. Because it is a university at the beach, it has a prime location for research and field work. UNCW is also known for its school of business. The classes at UNCW provide several opportunities to get an education outside of the classroom and gain experience in a certain field of study.

I would tell myself not to worry about making friends. In the beginning I was worried but I had no trouble finding a group to have fun with during my freshman year. I would encourage myself to get more involved in academic clubs such as biology club and geology club. Clubs are a great way to meet more people that have the same interests. It is very important to get involved in clubs on campus and volunteer in the community. Also, I would advise myself not to overplan. It is very important to make a schedule, write down all assignments, club dates, work dates, and other important dates, however, over-planning can lead to more stress. We cannot plan for everything and if we try to schedule every second of our college days we are going to feel overwhelmed and frustrated. Plans do not always workout, some plans are spontaneous, and things change so it is important to be flexible. Although it is important to designate time for studying and homework, it is also important to have time for fun. College really isn't all about the schoolwork. It is about having new experiences and making memories too.

The best thing about UNCW is that it provides several opportunities for students to learn and have fun outside of the classroom. With all of the clubs, seminars, cultural events, and more, there is so much to do and learn at UNCW while having fun and making the most of your college career. Also, the study abroad opportunities are amazing. There are several countries that students can go to study and get an education somewhere else while being enrolled in this university.

Kali

Fun at the beach, but still gotta work hard!

Fun at the beach, but still gotta work hard!

If I could go back in time to talk to my high school self, I would tell myself to be more outgoing and not care what people think. I would tell myself to really make the most out of senior year and not take it for granted. I would tell myself to get more involved, talk to new people outside of my social circle and to not be afraid to try new things. Once high school is over, there's no going back, so you need to appreciate it while it lasts! Learn how to talk to people and be open-minded towards those who have different views than you. You need to do these things while you're still in high school because you will need these skills in college. If you want to make the most of your college life, plan on getting involved! Meet new people, join a few organizations and perfect your study habits. Don't get overwhelmed though - college isn't as scary as your teachers are making it out to be. Just have fun, study hard, and worry less.

Very minimal diversity. There are mostly white people and they are mostly conservative Christians. When you're a liberal and non-religious, it's hard to find people you get along with.

Jahvon

My classmates are for the most part very goal-oriented, and very serious about their futures. Most of the people I have met since attending UNCW have created a life plan, one which they intend to follow to get what they want for themselves. Of course there's always a backup plan in case of any setbacks. I respect my classmates, for the most part, becaus majority of them are really embracing the idea of becoming mature adults and model citizens.

If I could go back and talk to myself during senior year in high school, I would definitely tell myself to pick up some good study habits. I would tell myself that college life is not all fun and games. I would emphasize the need to save money. If I could talk to myself during senior year, I would ensure to tell myself to stay away from the drugs for sure, because my future self has seen some horrifying examples of the negative effects of drug abuse. I would tell myself to continue writing in my journal, even during the summer, because that would come in handy throughout the year. I would tell myself to brush up on MLA and APA formatting. I would advise myself to keep an organizer or calendar, because those are very pertinent for knowing when events are, and I would definitely tell myself that unless for something extremely important, please do not skip classes. I would reiterate that violations of the code of conduct are serious, and so are violations of the law. Most of all, I'd say "Don't do anything that I wouldn't do. Or would do in that matter."

I believe that if a person is looking for a school at which he/she can party or have fun outside of class majority of the time and still maintain excellent grades will probably not do very well here at UNCW. There is a fine line between social life and education here; a person can have fun (it's near the beach, parties are fun, etc.), but it's definitely better to arrive with the desire to exceed in one's education.

Tiara

The advice I would give myself when I was starting as a senior in high school, I would say start filling out college applications now to meet the deadlines. Start looking into your major more to make sure that's what you really want. Go on college tours to get the feel of how college campus life would be. If you apply for financial aid waviers for like ACT Test and College Applications get as many as you can. Take Act Test over if you feel you can do much better than you did. Go ask your teachers and other staff for college recommandation letters, tha'llt help you get more college acceptance letters. Also do your very best on your school work, and do lots of studying for test. Keep a great GPA because the college will determine if they would like you to attend their schooling programs. The main thing is to stay organized and responsible.

Skyler

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to not worry about college so much. The transition really is not that hard and the independence is amazing. However, while I was telling myself to not focus on college so much, I would tell myself to focus more on my school work. It was in my senior year that I began to slack off and my GPA was lowered. I, partially, believe that my old work ethics of my senior year in high school followed me into my first semester of freshmen year of college. As this is the second semester, I am really making up for it. If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that grades are still, and always be, important and they can really affect a lot of things. If I had known then how much I was working to make up for it now, then maybe I would not have slacked off so much. Hindsight is always 20/20.

The best person to attend the University of North Carolina at Wilmington is someone who really is a go-getter. Most of the students on campus are a part of an organization, sorority, or club. If you can find a group to relate with, then your college experience here will be like any other! You, also, have to be confident. A person who knows what they want and goes after it, and has the confidence to back that up, will absolutely blossom here. You really could not have a better fit!

The most frustrating thing about my school is how easy it is to be distracted. I suppose this really depends on the type of person you are, but I, myself, am an easily distracted person and I have a horrible tendency of procrastinating. As the University of North Carolina at Wilmington is located at the beach, it becomes easy to skip class on nice days and head out for some fun in the sun. Overall, UNC-Wilmington is a fantastic school. You just have to be strong enough to avoid distraction and procrastination.

Phoenix

UNCW is best know for its College of Arts and Science which makes it so great to have a fun versatile semester, with so many different classes to choose besides the core classes needed. The School of Nursing and Social work is very popular and also Cameron School of Business! wATSON cOLLEGE OF eDUCATION HAS made the best teachers for our NC Schools! The Graduate School choices are never ending!! So many choices at UNC BY THE SEA!!!!

I would have taken more time searching and applying for scholarships. I see now that they are needed more than I ever imagined. I had high hopes of working when I got to college to take care of my daily needs, and my parents would do their best to pay my tuition. But now I see , With my classes and the homework and the papers and the studying, I do not have the time that I thought I would to work. I babysit every once in a while, and would love to be able to babysit more. I did make the Dean's List my First Semester and I worked extremely hard for this. I did really well my High School years acadimically but I wish I had done alittle more to earn money and scholarhsips . It would make this monetary transition much more tolerable for my family. I see my parents struggling because both of them lost their jobs last year and they have had to start over and its just hard seeing this and I cant help like I would like. hopefully its not to late to try to make up for it now.

The best think about UNCW is the size and the amount of people. It is the perfect sized University! I don't feel like i am a invisiable in a sea of students. I feel like I can speak to my professors and they actually know who I am . The setting of UNCW is awesome for a student who after long day of class, can make their way to downtown Wilmington or one of the beaches and relax and relieve I have made life long friends at UNCW and I have and will make more Life long career choices!!!

University of North Carolina Wilmington administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.