Wilmington, NC
University of North Carolina Wilmington

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of North Carolina Wilmington

Haley

If I could go back to high school and give myself some advice about college and this transition, I would tell myself that growing up does not mean moving away from loved ones and isolating yourself. I grew up in a very small community, and I was determined to get far away from it when college time came because i thought that's what i had to do to feel grown. However, now that i am in college, I have learned that you dont have to leave your family to grow up and figure out who you are and who you are supposed to be. I would spend more time just enjoying the company of loved ones because on a daily basis, I long to be in that small community again with the people that helped me transform into the successful student I am today.

UNCW is a school for those that can be successful and thrive in a large learning community. People that have goals and dreams that reach beyond the boarders of a small town and even this country would find this university to be a dream school. Students that enjoy meeting new people on a daily basis and contributing to their education and community by taking part in mutiple events on and off campus would enjoy studying here.

Students that feel overwhelmed in larger classes and require a more personal learning setting should not attend this school. People that can not handle being on their own and being seperated from familiar settings would have anxiety here. If you do not plan on getting involved and joing clubs or learning communities, do not attend this school because you will feel lonely and isolated if not involved in some activity.

Honestly, If I could go back I would not change a thing. When I was a senior I had a plan, I followed my plan and though it has changed I still believe It was right for me at the time. The choices I have made and the decisions that have come my way have shaped me into the person that I am. If I did not go the way that I went out of high school then I would not have experienced and learned from the obstacles I was faced with. In high school I made mistakes and though I was not perfect God shaped me into who He wanted me to be. I have learned so much within the last couple of years. Everyday I learn something new about life and myself. I choose to live day by day and do the things I feel led to do. If my plans change then that's okay, I will learn and take the steps required of me to change my path. I long to Enjoy life and refuse to worry about my future and where I need to be because it is all in the hands of someone greater!

Danielle

I would tell my high school self to worry less about meeting friends, dating, and what how I appear to others and focus more on my student habbits and acdemic skills. I push myself to get involved in things I'm interested in even if I had to branch out alone to do them, to develope and foster my interest early so that in college I can grow even further in these skills and hobies. I would promise myself not to worry because the transition from high school to college wasn't near as difficult as it's made to seem. But most of all I would erge my younger self to become more independent and make decisions based off of my goals and aspirations not those of my friends and family.

Someone who likes the sun but doesn't mind the rain, a student who is goal driven and plans to make the most out of college. UNCW is a great place to explore new hobbies and people. It's a diverse environment with a varity of people from all different walks of life.

Anyone who doesn't like the beach should not attend UNCW. Any student who doesn't plan to work hard and develope personal relationships witht their fellow classmates and professors shouldn't attend UNCW.

Kevin

Kevin, get an on-campus job. They are terribly easy, the money is great and you can study while you do it. You just cannot beat that. Go to UNC-Wilmington. There's great weather, the classes are easier, it is by the beach, you will meet some great people, and you will meet your girlfriend there. Do not take those science classes. And if you do summer school, do it at a community college. Then transfer as you have planned to UNC or Notre Dame. A degree from UNC-Wilmington is very limiting, but while your here, enjoy it! It's not where you start, but where you finish! But keep up your grades and use ratemyprofessor.com and myedu.com. They are life savers and will boost your GPA up dramatically. Search and research what you want to major in. You will change your mind thousands of times. Other than that, do not take for granite your time in college. This is independence without the responsibility of bills. It cannot be replicated.

I wish I had known that I did not want to be a pharmacist, which is what I went to school for during my first two years at UNC-Wilmington. As a result, I suffered from taking Physics I and II, Anatomy, and Chemistry I and II. So the takeaway here is: you will probably change your major and career choice a thousand times, but that does not mean you should not pay it some thought going into school. That way, some suffering can be avoided.

There was nothing that stood out to be terribly frustrating at UNC-Wilmington. If there were any begrudging things at all, it would have to be some of the professors here, but that is not a campus-specific frustration, as you will find that problem everywhere. No frustrations here!

Alyssa

UNCW is just the perfect size. The student to teacher ratio is good, length of time to walk from one end to another, and the amount of students as a whole. I spend most of my time on campus either in my on-campus apartment, by the leutze lakes, in the library, or in the classroom. The best thing about UNCW is how beautiful the campus is.

UNCW is an awesome college filled with friendly and fun people/faculty. Before attending I thought I was going to transfer, but now I never want to leave!

I think the Caucasian stereotype is semi accurate, but the school is working hard to change this. And it has definitely improved over the years.

I love how all of my classes are small so that my peers and professors know me by name.

There are so many clubs and organizations at UNCW to choose from. Students definitely get involved here.

Everyone is Caucasian, it's a party school, beach school, liberal school.

Jordan

The size of UNCW is just right. Not too big and not too small. The Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach community is outstanding and there is always so much to do.

Actually, UNCW has a high standard for academics and involvement on and off campus. We see ourselves as a "laid back" community in that we are easy to get along with and the culture is not competitive but more helpful and friendly.

Professors and other faculty and staff stand out because they are passionate about teaching and research which is infectious to students. They really try to gear assignments around current events and the most up-to-date information.

People think that UNCW is a party school just because it is close to the beach.

david

Best thing: Besides being located by the beach, the best thing about the university is the desire to promote university involvement. Some of the professional skills I learned have developed some strong characteristics that have benefited me as a graduate. Change: I stress diversity within the Admissions office. During my years, UNCW had an 8% minority rate. I'd also make the core curriculum more rigorous--global history should be a required class! Reaction: I'm from the Northeast, so people ask me if I went to school in Wilmington, DE. People in the South ask me, "How did you hear about UNCW?" Others comment on the fact that UNCW is a perennial NCAA tourney team. Time off-campus: I lived in the historical district. I was either at the beach or downtown. College town: Sadly, UNCW is suffering from the residual effects of being a "commuter school." UNCW Administration: They were building a lot when I left. Can't blame them for expanding, but they need to focus on two things: a football team and diversity. Controversy: No clue. School Pride: Some kids are intense, others could care less. Unusual: I wonder why some of the students are there in the first place... some of the students I knew had no desire to learn. Memories: I'll always remember starting my fraternity and how it grew. I'll always remember my time with my girlfriend. I'll always remember my creative writing classes and professors as well as my leadership professor/class. I'll always remember my unexpected albeit exciting time as an Orientation Leader.

Diversity: There are groups for all types of people. Most of them are rather successful--from what i know. Out of place: An inner-city youth, most likely a minority. UNCW students appear to be cheery. Which is great, but for that type of kid, it could be hard for them to be accepted. Fashion: Flip flops, next question. Interaction: If you're "involved" on campus then you will interact with all walks of life. If you have no common interests outside of being the same race, then you may not interact. Wilmington as a city still suffers from "soft bigotry." Just research the coup-d'ete of the late 1800's in Wilmington or cross over 3rd and Castle downtown. Dining Hall: Who cares? Go eat. Student population: Most from NC. The rest are surfers from the Northeast. Financial Background: Mostly are middle to upper-middle class. Politically Aware: Most student regurgitate what their parents have told me. Few are capable of having a sound political debate. Most are right wing, but a considerable amount are progressive-minded.

Find out what you want in a college before you apply. I went to UNCW because I realized the exorbitant amount of money I was about to spend on college and said to myself, "If I'm about to go into debt, I might as well be on a beach surrounded by beautiful girls." My interests may be different from yours, but I'll tell you, I had an effing blast at UNCW.

Professors: Yes, they will know your name--as long as you make the effort to be noticed. Classes: My favorite classes were in my major (writing). I also enjoyed classes in poli sci, cultural film and global history. My least favorite class was biology, ironically enough, is what UNCW is known for. Intellectual Conversation: Are few and far between outside of the class. A lot of students do advertise their beliefs, but that's not to say that they can articulate them in fruitful, constructive way. Competition: There is competition among small cohorts of students, but is nowhere near prevalent among the student body. Most unique class: Francophone Film. Creative Writing: I loved my time with the CRW faculty. However, I wish there was more preparation upon graduating. I felt as though I had no assistance in terms of job placement. In fact, I had a little resentment (although short-lived) for what little guidance I received during my senior year. Outside of class: Yes. I developed a strong rapport with one of my professors. I had dinner with a few professors, but I remain in close contact with my LED professor--I attended her church, got together for dinner and send e-mails--after three years! Academic Requirements: I believe they are pretty standard. I've been told by people in the Admissions office that it is getting harder and harder to get in though. Education: I honestly feel like UNCW is broadly geared towards equipping you with professional skills (which is still very useful), but they don't advertise the traditional virtues of higher education. Don't get me wrong, I saw lectures ranging from John Updike to Chuck D, Charles Franzen to Ousmene Sembene, but you have to stay alert, because a lot of the BEST parts of UNCW will pass you by! Also, the Professors truly want you to learn!

Popular Groups: Greek Life is pretty big. So are the environmental groups. Writing/Film, too. Personal Involvement: Greek Life. I started my own fraternity to include more diverse group of college guys. I learned a lot from surrounding myself with different people of origin, opinions, etc. Athletics/Events: Basketball is pretty big, but overall, kinda ehh, (I transferred from PSU). Kanye came one year. The comedy shows are pretty legit. Dating scene: Pretty legit. Closest Friends: Fraternity. But don't get the wrong idea. It's very easy to meet people at UNCW. 2AM Tuesday: Listening to music, by myself, in the commons room or talking with my friends in the commons room. A considerable amount of kids party on the weeknights, but I didn't trust myself to get up for class the next day. Traditions: Beach Blast, Oozeball. Party: Every weekend. Holidays. Sporadic weeknights. Greek life: Pretty strong, but no too overpowering. Saturday night (no drinking): I really wouldn't know, but you can do some pretty sweet corny date stuff. Off campus: Surf. Take road trips to the Blue Ridge Parkway. All types of stuff.

They wear flip flops to class. In the same token, a majority of students are pretty apathetic.

Renee

UNCW is the perfect size because it is large enough that there are plenty of opportunities, events, and programs to keep you busy and involved. It is small enough though that you feel a part of the Seahawk family, and see people you know each and every day. Seahawks "bleed" teal, and the university is a large part of the Wilmington community. The campus and area are incredibly safe, and you get the best of both worlds by having a historical city and beautiful coastline nearby.

UNCW is the most friendly community I have been a part of. I have had people come up to me while I was conducting campus tours, and say hi to my tour group. When you walk down Chancellor's walk, our large sidewalk on campus, you feel like you're on the red carpet because your friends, classmates, professors, and co-workers are greeting you with a friendly smile! Students at UNCW are very interested in leadership and you would be amazed at how student run so many of our traditions and programs are.

Of course there are many surfers and environmentally concious people at UNCW, but they only impact the school in positive ways. Many surfers are Surfrider foundation members, and help teach local kids how to keep the beaches clean or participate in beach sweeps. Our members of UNCW Eco are so passionate about the environment and attend conferences and promote eco friendly habits on campus without being too overbearing. These are just two types of students that play a part in the diversity of our campus.

Professors are really student centered. Many have given me their home or cell phone numbers to get in touch with them outside of class. My Ichthyology professor in the Marine Biology department in particular is so passionate about giving students research and field experience opportunities. Many people do not realize the level of excellence our academic departments hold, so do not let the pretty campus and beachy feel fool you!

UNCW will keep you busy both on and off campus. Resident Assistants put on multiple programs a week for the students on their halls. Our 200+ student organizations give everybody the opportunity to find their niche on campus. UNCWeekends provides bingo nights, ice skating, paintball, and other organized activities on the weekend. With Homecoming week, UNCW's singing competition "Dub Idol" will take place, as well as a comedy show, a trivia game, a blood drive, and numerous other events. If the Dub doesn't keep you busy enough on campus, you can explore downtown by taking ghost tours, horse and carriage rides, visit the Cape Fear Museum or Serpentarium, or a cath a production at Thalian Hall. Wrightsville Beach provides a good escape from studying, and is surprisingly warm for most of the year.

Some stereotypes are that UNCW is made up of hippies and surfer dudes, and all fo the stereotypes that go along with those labels.

University of North Carolina Wilmington administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.