University of North Carolina Wilmington

« See more reviews of University of North Carolina Wilmington

No, this stereotype is not accurate. Yes, we have a day called Beach Blast at the beginning of the year as part of our Welcome Week for Freshman. This is the day that the entire student body is invited to come and meet new people and make new friends. A lot of the UNCW students are involved with the Student Organizations that are offered. We currently have over 225 different organizations here on campus. There are plenty of other things UNCW students participate in other than going to the beach. A lot of our students live on campus (around 40%), many have on-campus jobs and hold positions in one of the organizations we have, other students work on research with our professors etc.

Of course there are many surfers and environmentally concious people at UNCW, but they only impact the school in positive ways. Many surfers are Surfrider foundation members, and help teach local kids how to keep the beaches clean or participate in beach sweeps. Our members of UNCW Eco are so passionate about the environment and attend conferences and promote eco friendly habits on campus without being too overbearing. These are just two types of students that play a part in the diversity of our campus.

No! UNCW's curriculum is definitely rigorous & takes a lot of time and commitment. The teaching faculty is dedicated to providing a challenging, but rewarding classroom experience. Also, UNCW's campus offers many extracurricular activities, with over 225 student organizations on campus. Overall, the UNCW experience is much more about the campus identity instead of the beach life.

Actually, UNCW has a high standard for academics and involvement on and off campus. We see ourselves as a "laid back" community in that we are easy to get along with and the culture is not competitive but more helpful and friendly.

I think the Caucasian stereotype is semi accurate, but the school is working hard to change this. And it has definitely improved over the years.

Yes.