University of North Carolina Wilmington

« See more reviews of University of North Carolina Wilmington

Don't ever assume that your life has a set path. Most students think going to college is about getting a degree so you can get a good job and make a decent salary. But what college is really about is learning how to live your life the way that you want to, and discovering by what means you want to do that by. Let your mind be as open as possible as you make your way through you first year of school, because that's the only way that you'll ever find your purpose. Take chances and risks, because you might not ever come across opportunities to take them again. And most importantly, above all else, be yourself -- even if you think that the person you're being isn't the one you thought you would be.

I would tell myself to sign up for more honors and AP courses. It really makes a difference if you can get your basics such as English and History out of the way so you can dive straight into your major. This is especially helpful when you are not a hundred percent confident about your choice of a major. I would tell myself to apply to more universities as well. I only applied to three universities, but this was because I was afraid that I would not be accepted; however, I now realize that despite this fear I should have applied to multiple schools to broaden my options. I love UNCW, but I believe there are other universities that I could have attended that could offer a better program for my major.

To the students: find a college that not only meets your academic needs, but a place in which you beleive you will feel comfortable. While classes and grades should be your main priority, they dont have to be your only one. College is supposed to be a fun and exciting experience; make it happen. To the parents: you obviously want what is best for your son/daughter, but it is important that they decide where to go. Don't decide for them. Rather, give them advice and remind them about the importance of safety, travelling expenses, and of course their focus on academics. Part of going to college is learning to make the right choices, and choosing the right college should be the first.

Finding the right college can be a tricky search but is worth the trouble. Look for a school that will support and guide you to where you want to go. Your college years should be the best of your life, so do not settle. Once you find your dream college, do anything and everything you possibly can. Study abroad, play intramural flag football, join a couple of clubs. You will never be in college again. Have no regrets. To the parents, do not hold your child back. They are full grown and ready to take on the world. It does not mean they do not need you, however. You are still the most important people in your child's life. Support them and be there for them when they need you.

I would tell my high school self to worry less about meeting friends, dating, and what how I appear to others and focus more on my student habbits and acdemic skills. I push myself to get involved in things I'm interested in even if I had to branch out alone to do them, to develope and foster my interest early so that in college I can grow even further in these skills and hobies. I would promise myself not to worry because the transition from high school to college wasn't near as difficult as it's made to seem. But most of all I would erge my younger self to become more independent and make decisions based off of my goals and aspirations not those of my friends and family.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a highschool senior, I would first tell myslef that you have to be yourself and go after your dreams, not you parents dream or anybody else. You cant give up, dream the impossible then go after it. Also, research the field you want to go into extensivly, do internships early, shadow someone in the field you are interested in. It's never to soon to start building your resume. Also, Start scholarships EARLY! and pick up a third job if possible so you can start saving for college. Don't let anyone or anything hold you back from your goals. be strong and dont be afraid to go as far as you need to get to where you want to go.

Congratulations! You've picked the right school. Keep your head in the game at all times and make sure you get help in Calculus 1 from day 1! You're going to do just fine. You're life is going to give you at lot of challenges. You'll have to be strong. Make some close friends to get you thru it all. The transition from Community College to a 4 year University is a little more challenging but you'll settle into it quicker than you may realize. Just hold on and write it all down. Don't close yourself off and try to get much more involved than what you are thinking. You'll do great. And the career path you're on/ after is the right one for you! Good Luck!

I chose the University of North Carolina at Wilmington because I received financial aid that helped me make my decision. If I could go back and give myself advice about college life at UNCW, I would tell myself that I should go to a school that would make me happy rather than a school that I could afford in the present situation. I got into many schools that I think would have been better fits for me, but I thought they were too expensive. However, knowing what I now know, I would have rather gone to those schools than attended a school where I don't feel that I fit in. I would have had school debt, but I would have been happy, and that's what is important.

I have learned to never procrastinate again, because I apparently don't work as well under pressure as I thought I did. I highly suggest to get your work done on time, and do it in an efficient manner! I've met so many people with so many distinct personalities that it baffles me. I've met people who I can relate to, and others who I never could. It's interesting to think that you can't make a human connection with just anyone. I've learned about possible career options that I would never think of, and I've met professors who have seriously changed my outlook on life. I know it's cliche to say but, college really is a learning experience about life!

The best advice I could give myself is to just relax; don't borrow tomorrow's troubles. There is no sense in stressing yourself out over things you don't know about. Also, don't worry about making friends, just be yourself; with thousands of people on campus there are going to be people you get along with. Last, put yourself out there and try new things. Get out of your house/dorm and go do something, anything. The more often you are out and about, the more likely it is for you to run into classmates and make friends; there is a time and place for homework and studying, but there is also a time and place to meet new people.