University of North Carolina Wilmington

« See more reviews of University of North Carolina Wilmington

College is an experience all in itself. While it is obvious not to short yourself on your education make sure you are getting the whole package. Investigate if the college you are looking at is a suitcase college and all the kids go home on the weekends. Find out if there is a social scene, and what activities there are to get involved with. My number one recommendation would be to get involved with the university in some way, shape or form. I know I am getting a great education at UNCW, but my best memories have been made outside the classroom. Make sure you can enjoy your four years to the fullest and good luck.

I have gotten so much knowledge and opportunities out of attending UNCW. I got to take classes that help me narrow down what I want to do with my life. I have had the opportunity to meet a lot of new people and make a lot of new friends. My freshman year there were so many things to get involved with and it was impossible to not make friends. Most of my professors have been very helpful and very knowledgable about their field of study. Finally, I got into the nursing school and now have a chance of fulfulling my dream of becoming a nurse! Without college ,I would never be able to do any of these things.

go with your gut. When you visit a campus, dont just take a tour. spend time in the town and with current students to really get a feel for how your life would be if you attend this college. I know its one of the most confusing and tough decisions you will have to make, but take your time and go with your gut feeling. Once you get to your selected college, my best advice of making the most of your college experience is to get involved on campus.; Join a club or intramural sport, student government or a sorority or fraternity. You'll meet so many people and have the best time of your life.

In order to find the right college, parents and student should be aware of every option they have. Students need to attend campus tours and be well eduacated on the universities that they are choosing from and attend the one where they feel comfortable and fit their lifestyles. College life is one of the most amazing/challenging experiences that a student could hope to encounter. Expand your horizons and meet new people. And above all, dont forget why you came... to get a education! Don't let yourself put your classes and courses on the backburner, in the end nothing is more important.

I would go back and tell myself to get involved. There are many clubs that I could have become a part of and making a lot more friends. Having more obligations would have helped me meet new people and feel more a part of this university. It makes the experience richer and more than about going to class and getting good grades. It is about rounding your education, learning about different people, and helping others. For me, it would have made the transition from living at home to out on my own a whole lot better than coming here and not making an effort to be involved on campus.

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to relax and not be so anxious about leaving home. I would say that home-cooked meals are by far better than anything a dining hall or restaurant can provide. To be surrounded by family is something that I would miss greatly-appreciate it all now. Even though I know I missed many things about living at home, I would assure myself that I would meet people who would become life-long friends, and experience things that would make great memories. The most important thing I would tell myself is “You are stronger than you think.”

I would have to say that when picking a college for yourself or looking at colleges with your child make sure you visit the school you are considering before you apply then visit again after you have been accepted because sometimes it's the second impression of a school that will help you make the right decision. Also I would have to say, make sure when picking a school you pay attention to its location because you will be living in that place for four years and if you don't like where you are living your college experience may not turn out to be what you had hoped.

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to be prepared to give up food. Some days my class schedule is very hectic and does not allow for time to eat. I would also tell myself to push for getting my driver's license before coming to school. Though there are people who are willing to provide transportation, I do not like having to rely on others to get things done. Having a license would also give me a little more flexibility to go places, such as the aquarium and Downtown Wilmington more frequently, assuming I had access to a car.

The advice I would give would simply be: Look for a college that has a good environment around the school, such as the beach or mountains, so that when they are not in class, they could find a constructive outlet to become a part of. Also, I would suggest looking at schools where there are internships available, along the lines of the student's interest , for when their senior year comes. And finally, and most importantly, find a school that possesses an interest that is focused on what the student really enjoys passionately in their life.

I would advise students to follow their heart and dreams. We easily succumb to the pressures our parents put on us to go into a certain career or go to a certain school. I almost chose to go to a different university because of my parent's wishes. If I had done that I may not have found a major I love, met the amazing friends I have or expereinced the same kind of independence. Choosing a University is a tough and life altering decision. Choosing a college is one of the first "adult" decisions you will make so make sure it is YOUR decision.