University of North Carolina Wilmington Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of North Carolina Wilmington

Maya

UNCW is the most beautiful school in the world. The university thrives on academics and is not far off from possibly being one of the better schools in North Carolina. Even though on-campus housing and the dining is not the best, the atmosphere and extra-curricular activities make up for it. There is always something to do on campus and the weekends are filled with fun and the beach!

Danielle

It's a great school with a great campus. If you want to meet great friends and make lasting relationships this is definitely a great campus for that. I love being close to the beach, it gives me somewhere to relax when I'm feeling stressed and overwhelmed.

Sharon

I think that it is a great school that provides plenty of assistance and opportunities to students. I think the campus is great and very inviting and I feel that the staff are there to assist students in any way necessary. This is a great school that looks out for students and makes the experience awesome!

Shannon

They take good care of their students! The atmosphere is welcoming and I love the support that I receive from students and staff alike. My teachers always respond to me in a timely manner and my counselor is very knowledgeable. They have been flexible with my schedule since I have a child and work full time.

Jahnice

If you are a student that loves that beach or just wants to hang out near the ocean UNCW is the place for you!! Not only does UNCW offer a variety of marine studies there is several opportunities if you would like a hands-on approach via studying abroad. If this is not, you then that is OK! UNCW has tons of different majors that may interest students, some of such majors are in nursing, business, recreational studies, communications, languages, and much more. I for one had no interest what so ever in the beach or in marine studies. While that is an interesting group of study, I knew that I wanted to work with money. As of right now I cannot say that I am disappointed in my choice. And for those students that still have no idea on what they want to major in, guess what. That is OK too!! Lots of students do not have any idea on what they want to major in whether they are freshmen, sophomores, or juniors. That is what college is about! Finding out about activities that you enjoy enough to spend most your life doing. Different people have their own set speeds in figuring this stuff out for themselves. The good thing about four year colleges is there is several people all around you that is going through the same exact situation, so you never feel left out. There is so many resources on campus you should have no trouble getting help with any of your questions.

Victoria

It isn't a bad school. It has a nice environment and the beach is near by. They are very diverse and have plenty of amenities. You can easy get help, the counseling center is free and almost always open. The classes are generally small which is helpful when trying to talk to the professor.

Holly

Overall, I believe that UNCW is an excellent, diverse, academically challenging place of study. There are so many different types of people to hang out with and things to become involved in. Not to mention it's gorgeous campus and amazing location.

Helynea

It is a good university however it is extremely lacking in diversity i.e nicknames UNCWhite. Dining services good do better to accommodate for students with allergies and/or provide more variety for students with food allergies. most professors are great with the exception of one who has caused a slight upset with locals.

Mia

UNCW really cares about the well-being of its students and has professors who want to see their students succeed. It is clear that the university cares about student opinions and uses them everyday to improve the quality of campus life. People are always there to help you in whatever you need in any aspect of your college career. I love my school and plan to stay there until I graduate.

Brianna

It is a decent school with some exceptional teachers and students. However, not all people there are particularly motivated, and often times the apathy seeps into the classroom. However, you can always make it what you want it to be by joining clubs and finding people who are truly remarkable.

The university is a beautiful campus. It has tall long-leaf pines and gorgeous fountains to view as you're walking to class. The classes can be 100 students down to 20, but you'll always fine a buddy. The campus is bicycle and dog friendly which makes it feel as though you're at a park. Overall it is a great place to be and there is always something to do.

Matthew

The University of North Carolina is an exceptional school located just off of the beautiful Southeast coast. There are a plethora of campus activities constantly available to keep students stimulated and active in their studies; as well as interests in program activities, performance arts, political engagements, recreational/team sports, etc. The campus facilities also provide plenty of recreational and academic resources. The size and grandeur of both the REC Center and the library furnish more than enough space and resources for student to exercise and cultivate both their minds and bodies. Personally, I could no ask for a better college experience. As my education and social enrichment grows with each day here on campus it will only make the pride and excitement of graduation day ever more bittersweet.

Jasmine

UNCW is one of the best schools I could've ever attended. I love being on the beautiful campus and being apart of the community. The classes are so informative and our professors are almost always available to help. There are so many clubs and organizations that students can join to get involved. For example, I've applied to be a study abroad ambassador this fall and I couldn't be any more excited than I already am. UNCW is my home, and I love it.

William

UNCW is a second home for me and I absolutely love it!! What more could you want than a beautiful campus right by the beach. For the most part everyone on campus is super friendly. There are plenty of ways to be involved on campus and in the surrounding areas. But most importantly the academics at UNCW are outstanding, as we rank as one of the top public schools in the state only behind NC State and Chapel Hill.

Jonathan

I really enjoy UNCW. The city of Wilmington is very inviting and beautiful. I come from a small town and I feel like Wilmington gives off a small town vibe even though it is a pretty big city compared to my hometown. Everyone at the college is very helpful and seem like they truly care about you. I don't think I could have picked a better college.

Adriana

This year, UNCW suffered at the hands of Hurricane Florence. Buildings were damaged, dorms were destroyed, and we lost an entire month of school. But in the wake of that storm, we came together as a community to finish out the semester. The aftermath of Florence has created some obstacles in our schooling, but nothing we can't overcome together. Other people may talk about their school's food or dorms or class size but none of that really matters if their school does not have the strength to pull together after a tragedy. And that's what sets UNCW apart from other colleges, we have the spirit and strength to come together and to help each other heal and move on. I am so glad I decided to go to UNCW, because I know that I will always have a family there, no matter what happens.

Victoria

UNCW is an amazing college filled with progressive, intelligent and hopeful students. All of the offices are beyond helpful, and paperwork for beginning the school year made it all the more helpful. I made the right decision coming here. There is a bit of a party scene, but it's not too much. Students will actually travel to other colleges, like East Carolina University, to go to the biggest parties. However, there is a lot of alcohol and drugs on campus. I've never felt unsafe on campus, and I absolutely love the atmosphere. The only downside is the cost!

I love UNCW! The campus is beautiful, safe and easy to learn your way around. Professors are always available to help with any questions and advice. There is always something to do around Wilmington. The beach is relaxing, there are many shops and restaurants. There are so many places you can work part time.

Summer

Best place ever! The prettiest most clean and new school in all of NC. This is the best college. There are awesome shops, genuinely nice peopole, and its right next to the beach! There are so many great opportunities. I cant wait to attend in the fall

Vanessa

The University of North Carolina Wilmington is a great school for the major I attended for. There are many areas the school could improve on such as meeting construction deadlines, attending to on-campus housing needs, and providing healthier on-campus dining options. Academically, the school meets expectations and the professors overall are there to serve the students.

Alyssa

UNC Wilmington is a relatively small school. It is perfect for someone who doesn't like over-crowded classrooms. The professors here are usually nice and approachable people who love their work. Overall, I like the fun and friendly atmosphere here. I love my school!

Mikaela

I really like UNCW. It was my first choice and I am so happy with the campus, the students, and the faculty. The classes are challenging but if you study, you can get a good grade. The campus is very nice and you can get anywhere on campus within 15 minutes. The party scene is super fun too, and you can find a party anywhere since the fraternities put them on every weekend.

Ryheem

I graduated high school in Richmond VA. Always tought I would ended up in an university near the sea in Virginia because I want to study Marine Biology. After doing some research, this school has one of the best program in that field and that called my attention. This school has good resources for their student. There is no reason to not succeed.

Jade

I love it here! The weather is usually great, there are SO many organizations, events, activities, and clubs that anyone can get involved in. There is something for everyone. There isn't any football, but our basketball team is the biggest sport here and the hype around it, especially around Homecoming is amazing! The overall environment is pretty warm and fun. I wish the housing was better, but Seahawk Landing is a good apartment complex on campus!

Yeshua

Thanks to UNCW, I'm on an incredible journey to see exactly where my career, and life, takes me. Wilmington is providing me with opportunities, such as having studied in Israel and France, that not only make me a well-rounded student, but are also helping to form a culturally competent adult ready to face all the challenges that brings.

Becca

I absolutely love UNCW! I feel that this school offers so much for all different groups of people. The only aspects that I don't love, is that we don't have a football team and Forensic Science isn't an offered major. Other than that, I have no major complaints.

Arianna

I cannot stress this enough, I absolutely love UNC Wilmington. The best way to sum it up is going to college on vacation. Classes can be stressful but the on campus pools and the beach just a short bike ride away, makes it very easy to sit back and relax when stressed. People are extremely nice and every professor I've had has been intelligent and excellent at teaching their material. While the school itself has high acceptance ratings, it should be noted that individual programs are extremely competitive. There are endless things to get involved in and many classes offer assignments encouraging students to appreciate the resources we have. Overall, I could not be happier with my choice of university and I would encourage anyone to attend UNCW.

Riley

The Universit of North Carolina Wilmington is a great school and has amazing academics. The students and staff are extremely friendly and inviting. There are a variety of extracurricular activities and clubs that students can take part in. The overall atmosphere of the university is warm and inviting. You truly feel like you fit in at UNCW.

The spirit of University North Carolina Wilmington is to have no school spirit. It is a relaxed environment where you see students barefoot on longboards and soaking up the sun on the beach. The chill vibes of the campus create a safe environment where I could walk back to my dorm past a hazy field at 4 am from the library without any concern. Living on campus for the first year created the best experience to make close friends. Everyone jokes about the housing conditions of Galloway but it is all part of the college experience. Walking up the stairs to my room past slices of pizza thrown on the floor. Living on campus is so convenient I decided to stay for my sophomore year in on-campus student apartments which gave more freedom but much more space. Meal plan was necessary freshman year which was great for Dubs at every meal. Even the other dining hall, Wagoner or "Wag," was a good breakfast stop. I love the staff at UNCW. I either lucked out at having the best professors or there is quality in the education. I was able to study abroad for a semester and found the staff at UNCW to be helpful even while I was away. If I could start over and pick where I wanted to go again, UNCW for certain.

Amber

It can be difficult to enroll with the strict policies, fees, and such but the academics can be worth it. Good classes with great teachers both in person, hybrid, and online. I'm taking an OAP (Online Accelerated Program) for business and the experience has been mostly well.

I loved my experience at the University of North Carolina Wilmington. I was involved in Greek Life, and they had opportunities for involvement within my major. The campus is beautiful, the professors are active and readily available for questions. I believe it prepared me well for my continuing education in graduate school!

Max

The University has above all else, an excellent teaching staff that is willing to help you and provide you with a good education, along with excellent study abroad programs. The school lacks the funding of other schools, and is most noticeably missing a large selection of dining options, and of course, a football team.

Mandy

I love this school, but Janice with the financial aid department is beyond rude and not helpful. She responded with an attitude as though I was wasting her time when asking a simple question about eligibility. I would recommend speaking with anyone else!

Morgan

I love attending UNCW, it is a very inviting school because you can tell the professors really do want you to succeed. The teachers are what I treasure most at this school but the students are also very open and inviting always, college is scary especially on a big campus but the student body being so empathetic is very nice. The professors are also very good about helping the students out and the campus is located right by the beach! How much better could it get.

Arushi

It is a fun college and has great academics and sports. The teachers are very understandable of your schedule with sports and school work balance and that really helps athletes perform their best. Coaches are also mindful of schoolwork and jobs, and adjust their schedule accordingly.

Erin

I came to this school because it is the only public university in the state with a stand-alone creative writing department. I am also double majoring in film. Both of my majors have incredibly good programs and amazing staff. I am very happy with my choice to come here.

Clarissa

UNCW is a great school that offers many opportunities to be involved in academics, arts, sports, music, and global education. The overall goal of UNCW is to have their students succeed and they provide many resources for that. From having multiple career days to providing online support for extension students, UNCW goes above and beyond for their students.

Meghan

The University of North Carolina Wilmington is an excellent school for extracurricular involvement, academic growth, and a school in the perfect spot. It is right by the beach and in town so shopping and relaxing is convenient. The staff are very deep into their projects and continued research, yet still manage to find the time to give students the most opportunity to take everything they need away from a class.

Jamie

This campus is beautiful and located near the beach. The class sizes are good and the research opportunities are vast. They do tend to focus on Marine Biology but there are still many other programs. The food on campus is usually good and there many optioms to choose from.

Kirra

The University of North Carolina Wilmington is an overall fantastic school in all aspects. The campus hosts brilliant professors that teach in small to medium classroom sizes. Professors are eager to help students succeed and offer availability at all hours. Aside from academics there is a wide array of clubs, activities, programs, and sports to be found through UNCW. Off campus the city of Wilmington is not short on recreational fun activities. Located close to Wrightsville Beach and Carolina Beach the weather here is almost always sunny and warm. UNCW in my opinion is the perfect school for students who enjoy an active life style, rewarding academics, and getting involved on campus.

The campus is very nice. The teachers are great and available if you have questions or need extra help. The facilities are fine and they did a great job of trying to get the campus back together after the hurricane. Very close to the beach which is great!!! Highly recommend!!

Bryanna

It’s a great school for psychology. I was in the class of the 2017 APA president, while he was president. It was unreal that the top person of psychology in America, and top neuropsychologist of the world knows me by name. The professors really made themselves available and most classes I took, apart from the gen ed core classes, were small. The downside is that the university lacks diversity. It’s not uncommon to find that you are the only Hispanic in the room. There was both subtle and blatant racism among students. It also is common to see that there were next to no black students on campus. It is a great university for military members, vets, and their families. And financial aid was the best of all 3 universities I went to as an undergrad. They not only got me in state tuition the second they could, but they also got me the North Carolina lottery scholarship as well. This cost less than my university in my home state. I also was only forced to purchase one book a semester at full price, all other books required could be rented on amazon from $20-30 a piece. The games were fun to go to but the school isn’t ncaa . And the basket ball court is so small, it was hardly bigger than my HS basketball court. Although fans will show up in support, games are not nearly as big as state schools. Sororities and Frats are EVERYWHERE and very popular ( at least among the white students).