University of North Florida Top Questions

The advice I would give is to take classes seriously and work less hours.

randi

Go to school. Go and focus on school. Even if you don't know now what it is that you want to do, it will find you eventually if you do not give up on your education. Take loans, apply for scholarships, and do your research. No boy is worth putting it all off for seven years.

Jacob

Study more and work harder! For much of high school I had a I don't care as long as I pass attitude. I generally did well on test and could retain information well but I didnt really do a lot of my homework or study as much as I should have. I passed my first two years of high school with a C average and I even failed one class. In high school its easy to think of college and adult life as something in the distant future but around eleventh grade a realized that I wanted to go to college and just how soon I'd be in college. If I had worked harder and wasn't so lazy and careless about school in 9th and 10th grades I could have graduated with AP credits saving myself a lot of work and money. If I had done this I wouldn't have had to have done many of the basic classes I could have skipped over with AP credits this would have allowed me to graduate much earlier getting me a jump start on my adult life.

robert

I would tell myself; "buckle down more when it comes to finacial aid and standardized testing, it does not matter how smart you are if you cannot pay for school or no school wants to accept you because you goofed off. This is your future do not mess aroud with it. You are going to reap what you sow, and if you put forth no effort then you are going to get nothing out of it. You are an adult now people are not going to serve life to you on a silver platter, you have to be willing to go get what you want."

Ersnt

If I could talk to myslef as a high school senior again the advice I would give myself would be do not go to the classes in college with the same mind set as I would go with in high school. The classes may seem just as easy as the ones in high school but do not take what you think you know to what the every the subject is, becasue the is a chance the teacher will change up or confuse you with the way they teach the subject. So learn to adapt quick to the different teaching styles and their way of grading the work that you do. That is the best advice that I think can give to myself, adapt to survive the teachers grading,

Yevgeniya

Hello Zhenya, I am you from the future! I am here on a mission to help guide you through your senior year of high school. I have lived through our senior year, and I will give you advice to make your transition to college easier. Follow the rules below and you will fly through your senior year! 1. Study for the SAT. Listen to our mother's advice, and take some time every day to look over your SAT vocabulary words. When you go to the beach with your friends have them quiz you on SAT material. 2. Do not spend all the money you have. Trust me when I tell you paying for college tuition is arduous. You must save money from every bit you are given, so you will have money in the future to pay for college tuition. 3. Continuing the last rule, do not take out a lot of loans. Loan money will accumulate over the years and it will be difficult for you to pay it off. Finally, remind your family of how much you love them and appreciate their support for you. Often we forget to thank those who push us to become extraordinary.

Colin

If I were able to travel back in time to when I was in high school, I would tell myself not to panic. The AP classes I took in high school were way more intense than college classes. I would let myself know to continue taking AP classes, because they really helped prepare me for my classes I take in college, now. I would also give myself a heads up about having to do laundry, buy groceries, and managing time, and that it doesn't matter that I didn't know what I wanted my major to be, because college gives you the chance to take classes that can help you figure out the path you want to take.

Garielle

The advice that I would give myself as a high school senior would definitely be to tour the University of North Florida instead of focusing so much on schools that were out of town. Instead i going back and forth to the other schools I was accepted to and keeping UNF as a safety net I could have toured the campus and known right away that UNF was the best school for me for my undergraduare career. Another thing that I would tell my high school self would be to fill out more scholarships and definitely look harder for scholarships. Now that I am looking for graduate school scholarships I am coming across a lot that I could have applied for during my senior year for my freshman year of college.

Darius

Have no communication for those who do not have your best interest at heart. There is not much more else to say about my senior year considering the fact most of the issues I faced were because of outside influences.

Dakota

If I had the chance to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself not to stress out over the future and do everything I had planned to do . I was prepared to do whatever it took in order to get into the college I wanted to and that is what I did. I would spend hours every day practicing for my auditions to make sure I was good enough to get accepted into a college music program. After spending hundreds of hours practicing, I was able to achieve my goal and was accepted into two of the three college music programs I auditioned for. I then selected the University of North Florida as the program that was the best fit for me. If there was one piece of additional advice I would give myself, however, is to make sure I enjoy doing everything leading up to the time I leave for college.

Kayla

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would explain how true the reality of college is. I would emphasize the importance of independence. I would give advice on how to make leaving home easier, and how to avoid unnecessary stress and anxiety. Now that I know more about college life, I would strongly urge myself to apply for more scholarships and grants. College is very expensive, and expenses could be more easily paid for with free funding. The advice I would give is to be myself, make the best of my college experince by being active in campus life, and have a good time. I would especially advise paying attention in classes or lectures, and always completing work in a timely manner, not procrastinating, and effectively communicating with professors, advisors, counselors, and parents.

Katherine

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself I would tell myself not to stress the little stuff and enjoy the time I had to spend with friends.

Lindsey

These past two years that I have been out of high school have taught me so much. It is amazing to see how much growing up I have done in only a few short years. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that there is so much that I have to learn. The transition from high school to college is scary and exciting, so I would tell myself to enjoy the experience because the next four years are going to be some of the greatest years of your life. I would remind myself to study hard and take any help that is offered. Do not be afraid to talk to the guidance counselors because they will help point you in the right direction. Most important, I would tell myself to not worry about the opinions of others and be yourself. Your college years are the time to discover who you are so do not be afraid to take risks and do what makes you happy. Enjoy your years in college because they will shape you into the person that you will soon become.

Kayla

If I could go back in time and talk to myself my senior year, I would have told myself not to fret the little things , and to apply myself more both in the class room, community, and in my college scholarships. Through out high school many kids think that they have to impress everyone but in reality the people who truly matter are the people who know you for you, I would have told myself not to worry about others and be me because that is the only way you can truly enjoy any experience esspecially one as big as your senior year. Not only that, but I would havew explained to myself the importance senior year still contains and how applying myself both in my achademics and commutiy still has a huge impact on my college career as well as my future. It is true that every penny counts and you certainly realize that in college living penny to penny, and this is exactly why it is so important to apply for as many scholarships you can because it could greatly impact your education. I would have told myself that college is a new amazing start to your future.

Angelica

Angie focus on your school work. Do not hesitate to finish your homework and never procrastinate. Aim for the top ten percent! You know you can do it and that will help you pay for college. Of course you want to have fun during your high school years but do not slack off. Your friends will not help you pay for college and once you face the real world outside of public schools everything gets expensive. Thank your parents for their support and make a decision of what you want to do with your life BEFORE you get accepted into any college. Don't waste time taking classes you don't need once you are in college. Keep your chin up. Life is going to give you many bumps on the road but it will make you stronger. Don't give up, don't give in, and don't stop reaching for your goals. Get over your timidness and show everyone how creative you are. Now go out there and prove to yourself you can do whatever you put your mind to!

Courtney

College is not as different as high school than you may think. At first college seems big and scary, but really there are just more people and more buildings. I would tell myself to be more open to people of all different personalities and not be so closed off because other people can teach you more than you think. As I have gone through my bachelors degree, I have learned so much from my classes and compared to high school, I could not really relate a lot of what I was learning to the real world in high school because it was very general learning. I would tell myself that college is exciting because it is applicable to the real world. Not all about college is stress (i.e. filling out scholarship forms, going into a classroom for the first time at a large campus, submitting a 14 page research paper). Most of it is fun because if you are truly passionate about your future and your dreams, than it will all be ok.

Shawn

You think you want to go to law school, but the reality is you need to do poli sci as an undergrad and it's boring. Focus all your attention on classes that interest you.

Melissa

Please achieve the highest grades as possible because in the end it's all worth it. The hard work you put in now will not turn void, it's more like an investment for the career you want. The classes you take now will be about the same in college, so retain that information for another day. Listen to your teachers now, they know what they're talking about. Good luck, because there will be hard days, it's up to you to determine the outcome.

Travis

Apply for scholarships, because there isn't an easier way to recieve money you need.

Self, don't get distracted by your social life. Focus more on your education. At least, balance out your social and academic life, like you did in high school. Know what career path you want to do before entering college. After picking that career path, get as much experience in it before you graduate college. It's not all about getting good grades.

Chloe

I would encourage my former self to more closely examine my hobbies and interests. At the time, I was undecided about which career path to take. It would have been wise to utilize aptitude tests and career counselors to point me in the right direction of which career path to choose. In addition, I now see the value of researching and applying for scholarships. Many people do not apply for them when there is an essay involved, so if you do decide to complete an application, your chances are actually fairly good of winning the scholarship. Other advice I would have given to myself would be to volunteer in my community to gain some experience and build my resume. It would also have been helpful to network and make the most of the resources at my fingertips. I was afraid to apply to certain schools for fear of rejection. Looking back, I should have gone through with the process, regardless of the outcome, and learn what to build upon if I had been rejected.

Victoria

I would tell myself to take it slow, and not rush. I got lost for a little while because of how ambitious and fast I moved, and it became very difficult. I would remind myself that slow and steady wins the race, and that I would get where I was going no matter what. I would tell myself that I'd be OK, and to just try my hardest and take it one day at a time.

Sandra

Hello Sandra Contreras, I’m the only person that knows you inside and out and I think it’s time you thought about some things. First of all, I want you to look at your past; do you remember where you came from? How you got to be here now as a high school senior? Well I’m sure you do recall how dad left our family to come work in the United States just for us to have a better life in Mexico and how mom tried even three times to cross the border with you on her womb just so you could be a citizen and take advantage of what California has to offer. It was hard times for our parents but like they got through it, you can as well. Truth is it will not be so easy to reach your goals, but if you believe it's possible, will be. It's time for you to prioritize yourself and your future, I know you were born to help other people and its time for you to establish a foundation so you can help those around you. It's time to shine!

Caitlin

The most imporant advice I could give myself as a high school senior would be to take more dual enrollment classes, apply to more scholarships, and to appreciate everything around me. I would have taken more dual enrollment classes so I could have started college with more credits. Thus, giving me the opportunity to have a better chance at picking classes. I would have applied to more scholarships because I now realize the true cost to college and the amount I am going to owe back once I complete it. The last bit of advice I would give myself would be to appreciate the small things. It occurs to me that I was so ready to graduate and be done with high school that I rushed through my senior year. If only I could go back, I would have slown down and appreciated a good grade on an exam, the little amount of homework, and of course the free schooling.

Drue

The advice that I would give myself as a high school senior would to be not to mess around and stay focused. College is not high school and the teachers are not breathing down your neck to study or to do your homework. As a college student nobody is making you go, you're parents may want you to, but it's only going to affect your future and be beneficial towards your goals. College is hard and if you do not put the effort into it your grades will definetely be affected. That being said study hard, do not go out and party, and go to every class and lecture.

If I had the opportunity to go back to my senior year in high school and give myself some advice, would I do it? My college career so far has been great, although there are some things I wish I could change. If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to not be afraid to experience new things, join clubs, and meet as many new people as possible. I have always been one of the shy kids, however being in college has helped become more outgoing. It’s hard for me to meet new people and find friends who you truly click with. To do this you simply just have to go outside your comfort zone and participate in the many activities on campus. My other piece of advice would be to remember you’re in college to learn. Study hard and often! Even if my advice to myself didn’t change a thing, I wouldn’t mind. I love the experiences and friends I’ve gotten to make. These past semesters have changed me, and for once I am satisfied with that. After all you can’t change the past; you can only change the future.

Loretta

If I could go back in time and talk to myself about college. I would have decided to go to college and earn my degree, when I graduated back in 1984. Knowing now what I didn't realize back in the 80's is getting a higher education is so important in todays society. Althrough I have worked my entire life and raised two children on my own. I still needed to have a degree to go higher in my occupation. Now that I'am unemployed it's really hard to find a good job without a degree. So I decided that now is the time to get my degree. If I had only knew back then what I know now,I belive that my life would have been a whole lot better. Education is so important and that's what I have stress to my children and because of it they both have worked hard to obtain their degrees. So now it my time to get mines. I know it gonna take a lot of hard work and dedication, but I'am going to get me a degree in nursing. Thank You Regards, Loretta Robinson

Jacqueline

My advice to my senior high school self is to put forth extra effort in the transition to college life. I never struggled in classes. Most subjects came quite easy and I did not spend much time outside of the classroom studying, while maintaining a B average. When I started college, I found the same to be true. Had I put forth extra effort studying, I would have been able to achieve A’s. The same can be said for my involvement in extracurricular activities. I belonged to a few organizations in high school, however did not actively participate. Upon entering college, the idea of clubs was intimidating. In retrospect, my choice to not participate is something I regret. My parents covered all of my finances throughout high school and this did not change when I entered college. I did work part time, but did not contribute to the cost of being a college student. I am extremely grateful to my parents for their support. I cannot change the past, but I am proud to say I have learned from it. I now give 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of myself to everything that I do.

John

Study hard, get involved with as many clubs and sports as possible, apply for scholarships early, and take lots of pictures.

Abby

High School! Whew! I am glad that is over! But, now that I am older and wiser, I have a few tantalizing thoughts to pass along that I wish I had held fast too! Hindsight is 20/20! As a senior, your social life is not as important as it may seem! I want you to have fun, but if the girls are really your friends, they will remain so. Continue to complete the annoying homework and projects and do not get undone by "senioritis"! Academically, choose classes to insure a productive future; every course has its purpose. Learn to budget and respect your time and money! Sometimes you have to choose chemistry over the kegger or the boyfriend! Do not dismiss the advice of your parents and school counselors when pursuing the college choices and curriculums; their experiences, good or bad will be invaluable. Finally, enjoy yourself, make lasting friendships, but go to class even though professors do not take roll call! College is like no other experience you will ever have so do not be your own worst enemy! Be mindful of your GPA, graduate in a timely and economic manner; your future will probably depend on it!

deborah

I would advise myself to be more cautious when talking to advisors. I would suggest getting second opinions and not taking everything at face value. I would also warn myself about not taking too many courses than I can handle. I tend to be ambitious, sometimes to a fault. Everyone needs a break once in a while- even me. Most importantly, I would teach myself to learn the material presented in my classes well instead of memorizing the information just long enough to pass the test, then deleting it from my memory. This would not only be beneficial when it came time for final exams, but it would also be helpful in the next level class as well as when I take the MCAT my Junior year. Finally, I would explain the importance of networking. Other students can be extremely helpful when studying, and becoming acquainted with professors has benefits both inside and outside of the classroom.

sushi

Test Test Test Test TEst

Bethany

I would tell myself to put more effort into the people that I met, such as my room mate and the people I regularly saw in my dorming community. At some times, I got so stuck on the petty high school relationships I was attempting to keep that I didn't focus on building stronger relationships with the people around me who were trying to get my attention. I would tell myself to take advantage of the classmates who especially wanted to get together in study groups, and to get to know the awesome R.A. that I had, because these are the people who were reaching out to me while I was in the process of transforming into the person I am going to be for the rest of my life, while the friends I made in high school elected to bail out in the end.

Shelda

I would tell myself to take all my time and energy to apply for as many scholarships as possible because, I will desperately need the extra money for school to avoid working. I would also tell myself to "STAY AWAY FROM CREDIT CARDS"! They will be passing them out like candy and will lure you in with food and gadgets that will entice college students. I would say party less and spend more time studying because; flunking semesters are detrimental to your entire college career. I would tell myself to take the extra financial aid money and invest some of it. Also take the loan money and invest it so that once I'm done with school and the investment has grown, take the money the government gave me for school, and pay them back, to pay off all my student loans. This will leave me debt free once I leave college. I would also tell myself if at all possible avoid taking out loans all together but if it's not avoidable invest. I would also tell myself to make all my professors from the beginning year my allies because you will need them if your grades are bad.

Get as involved as possible. You don't know it yet, but this is essential to becoming a well-rounded person. This also helps to boost your resume and shows college admissions that you are committed to campus life.

Zakeel

Even though I am currently both a high school student and a college student,(Running Start program) I am going to perceive this question as if I would compare myself and how I changed from this last year and this current year as opposed to me staying in high school for four straight years. I would like to send the following message to the alternate me. Dear Zakeel, You are approaching a very special point in your life, the decisions that you make this year will manipulate how the rest of your life goes. School is of importance but there are more important things in life than school, work, relationships, and looking fresh. While you might not immediately understand the importance of this letter I urge you to put a reminder in your phone to read this again and agian throughout the year. You immerse yourself in an atmosphere where you could feel comfortable for the rest of your life, contradiction to everyones belief that life is about success in terms of money. Live life and enjoy it's too short, forget about sneakers and partying. If my life goals have changed this much from school, think Zakeel.. Sincerely, You

Jonathan

The advice that I would give myself as a high school senior would be to study hard and don't fool around so much. College is a very important step towards your future, and you don't want to mess that up.

Venus

As a child I knew I wanted a higher education, I knew I wanted to attend college. In 1981 I would have been a high school senior. However, I became a teenage mother and had to quit high school upon completing my junior year. By age 19, I had two children. The next 30 years were devoted to their well being. I am recently divorced and I set out to gain the education that had eluded me all those years ago. I enrolled at Somerset Community College and just completed my first semester. If I could go back in time and talk to myself, knowing what I know now about college life I would tell myself to stay focused, with an eye on the prize. That it was everything I thought it would be and more!!! That I could do it then because I am doing it now, with a vengence!!

Jasmine

If iIcould go back in time I would give my high school self amazing advice! I would first tell myself to study more at home. I would thoroughly explain the importance of actually knowing the material. Knowing the basics securely makes college 50{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} easier and also gets you in the repetition of doing homework at night. It also prepares you for those college late nights. I would also take advantage of the more successful students in my class and try to develop study partners to help better understand the material.

Zachary

I would visit more colleges while students were in session, and plan to stay at least a weekend with an underclassman. I would worry more about five years from now instead of just my freshman year. I would have also taken more AP classes to avoid having to take any summer school classes (a Florida requirement).

Hey, Stephanie! I know you probably don't recognize me, but I know you really well. Let me walk you to class...I have a couple things to tell you. You're going to meet some great people in the next few years; you'll have a roommate that will end up being a life-long friend, a truly inspiring teacher that will help you get through some dark moments, and you'll meet people who will introduce you to new music, books, and ideas that will open your mind to the myriad possibilities life encompasses. The thing you need to remember is that you can't let your depression get the better of you. You've done a good job managing so far, but self-medication isn't the way to go. Believe me, it will only exacerbate the problem in the long run. You need to get out from beneath the shadow of the ideas you grew up with: it's okay to ask for help, and you shouldn't be ashamed to take medication if you really need it. You'll be amazed at how much it helps; just try it sooner this time. Trust me.

I would advise myself to work harder at achieving grades in highschool, so that I would earn full bright futures scholarship instead of the medallion scholarship. I also would advise myself to join Psi Beta Honor Society, and look for transfer student applications. If I had looked for such, I would have known in time and could have submitted an application for UNF's transfer scholarship. With these changes, perhaps I could have lived on campus, and even joined a sorority.

Tamara

Step out of your comfort zone. Don't assume your dream job will actually make you happy in life. It's not about the money and it's not about the power. Find what makes you get out of bed every day and follow your passion. Try classes outside your degree program and take internships during your breaks. You may be surprised at what you find out about yourself. The four years you'll spend in college will challenge what you think you know to be true. Keep an open mind and an open heart, and you will leave with so much more than a diploma.

Janessa

Knowing what I know now, there is so much that I would do different. All of those times when you think that going out and spending time with your friends and going to different parties, study. I know you're doing great in school, always have and always will, but if you focus more then you could make even better grades and get to be top ten of your class like you wanted. Don't get me wrong, graduating with highest honors was amazing but we both know we could have done better. Never give up and always do the best you can. Just focus more on school and not so much on everything else and things will turn out even better then you ever expected they would.

Alana

I would tell myself to study as much as possible. It's pretty to be overprepared than not prepared at all. Instead of going out twice a week, reduce it to once a week and spend the other night going over the material presented in class. It really helps to read over the chapter(s) before the professor discusses it in class. You will have a much clearer understanding of the topic and you'll be able to comprehend what the professor is talking about. Everyone is in the same position as you, so they will be understanding of the things you are going through. Mostly everyone feels awkward when they first get there.

Thomas

I would tell my self to go to class no matter what and to not date anyone on campus. I would remind myself how I can lose focus when I'm involved with women and to remember why I'm going to college.

Daniel

If I could go back in time and give myself advice as a High School Senior, I would tell myself to get more involved in the extra-curricular activities available in a high school setting and enjoy the social benefits of high school - not just "do the academics". I would also research more college scholarships and become more aware of the financial responsibilities associated with a college education.

Alec

If i could go back in time and talk to my self as a high school senior I would make sure to tell myself when you go to college make sure its not in your home town. I first went to Florida Atlantic University in my home town of Boca Raton, FL and that was a huge mistake. I should have came right away to UNF in jacksonville. Once i got up here my life completely changed and I really started living my life. I saw once i was up here that i could take care of myself and that in order to do that i had to work very hard and not slack like I did in high school and while I was going to FAU. I would tell myself that the transition will be hard but that all you need to do is plan out the route you need to take and make sure not to fall behind. I would also tell myself not to let people get in your way of the decisions you make because these are the decisions that will affect you for the rest of your life.

Kelly

If I could go back in time and give my high school senior self some advice about college life, I would advise myself not to feel like it is mandatory to make a decision about what career I want to get into before I start college. I would tell myself to look at a list of careers online and pick many that interest me. Then I would advise myself to talk to people in that career and see if they are happy. Researching not only what is done in that career, but what the hours are and considering how that would affect my future life with a family and children would be highly advised. I would make it a point to let my senior self know that it's okay to take time to figure out what I would really love as a career and that it is normal for most college students to switch their majors or be undecided for some time. Above all, I would advise my past self to make sure I research scholarships and apply as much as possible to avoid taking out loans and causing my future self stress!

Aaron

Be prepared.