University of North Florida Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of North Florida

Raven

I love UNF so far. It's very exciting to be here. There are many opportunities for students and there professors are always there to help you. You just have to make sure also, that you put in the work. The food is okay, it could be better (but that's just my opinion).

Aiah

good college, needs to put a lot of efforts to get good grades. professors are overall good and helpful most of the times, life inside the campus is fun and you can make a lot of friends out there. classes sizes are good comparing with students. other students are very helpful and usually make group study.

Donavan

The University of North Florida is a college with a campus that's bigger than you might expect, but still manageable as it won't take long for you to get between classes. The professors are nice and understanding, and you'll be able to make lots of friends here with the events on campus, as well as the game room that houses many consoles, all while getting a good education from amazing professors.

Janita

I feel so blessed to be a student at the University of North Florida. The learning environment is great, the campus is beautiful, the professors and instructors are approachable and seem to be approachable and knowledgeable in their respective fields. Although I am 51 years old, and an African-American woman. I have no problems with fitting in with my fellow students because we are all there for the purpose of learning. I look forward to learning all that I can and walking across the stage to get my degree when the time comes.

Mallory

It is a gorgeous​ campus and there is always something to do, from sports to clubs to greek life and even off campus. The academics are great and there is always someone around from plenty of different places to help you with anything, anytime. Everyone on campus whether they know you or not is kind and will help as well. There are plenty of places to get food and the cafeteria has a wide variety of food but could do better, some days there's not a lot of choices.

Mollie

Very good school, overall. Lots of opportunities to network and build your professional and academic self. The student to teacher ratio is great for most classes, other than the main prerequisites (Biology, mainly) which are big auditorium type classes. Teachers are very available outside of classes to help with assignments.

Kylie

UNF, while a fairly small school, is a lively one. We don't have a football team, but our basketball games are like no other. The food isn't always great in the cafe, but there are other on-campus locations, and campus is right next to the Town Center, which has a ton of options. Greek life is great and steadily growing, I would highly recommend it. Campus life holds events for students constantly, movies, Twisted Tuesdays crafts, and market days every Wednesday. A very lively school where there is always something to do.

Carrie

Not a bad school! Very good nursing and public health program. Professors want to see you succeed. They are doing a lot of renovations on the school and we just got a new construction management building. It's a smaller school but the population of students has increased significantly sense my freshman year. Jacksonville is a fun town and there is always something to do with good food!

Alexis

I love it here! This was my first choice. Very liberal and very into helping students succeed. There is no football, so the university focuses on other sports. Everything is interconnected here. Plus they are open about diversity and are accepting, as well as accommodating, to all races/sexes/classes.

Netania

UNF is a beautiful campus, no matter the weather or the time of day you'll find beauty all around you. It's big enough for you to never get bored, yet small enough for you to be able to walk everywhere. No need to have a car since everything you'll ever need is at the town center which is 5 minutes right outside the school. Even if you think friends will be hard to make or that no one you know it going there, trust me, once you get to UNF you'll have a phone full of new numbers and group of friend's you can trust before you know it.

Melanie

UNF is a relatively small campus compared to some of the other universities in Florida such as UCF or UF yet it has its charms in being a small-scaled campus such as their preservation of nature and varied outdoors activities, the class sizes are considerably smaller (unless its a class lecture) which builds more discussion and involvement from the students, there are market place Wednesdays where there are local restaurants/food trucks/vendors that sometimes hand out free food to students which are helpful to students who are trying to save money on food that day or have a small bite to eat, you will most likely run into somebody you know from another class, the professors are able to actively engage with their students through emails and certain office hours to get help. There is also SI tutoring sessions offered for students if they need extra help with understanding a concept taught in class. UNF is a school meant to focus primarily on your academics and education not so much to party or have that football experience (since we don't have a football team) so it is harder to have a sense of collective school pride on campus. Generally, UNF is cheaper than other schools in the area but I would still advise you to get scholarships, especially if you decide to live on campus as the price of tuition, housing, meal plans, books, etc. will add up. If you want other recreational activities to do on campus there are countless amount of clubs you can join, a gym nearby, and local events that happen on campus. If you get bored with that you can commute to different places around the school such as the beach, local stores, etc.

Bryanna

Overall, I think UNF is a great school with a lot of opportunities no matter what major you are in. Career services is extremely helpful, whether you know what you want to do or not. The rec and Wellness center is also a great way to stay active and avoid the "Freshman 15". There is also a lot of different ways to get involved in school! I love it here!

Jazmyne

During the short time that I've been here, I have realized that this is the place for me. Most professors are easy to talk to and will work with you towards a common goal. The students, varying from young to old, are very flexible as well. Also if you would like to have an eventful college experience this is the place for you, with activities almost every single day.

Deidra

University of North Florida is amazing. It's overall a beautiful campus, and has multiple opportunities and benefits for their students. It's great if you're looking for a small college and is academically changing. There's no football team because our student body isn't big enough to support a football team yet but there's every other D1 sport imaginable. There are various clubs and organizations to join as well.

It's a great school to meet new people and learn information regarding your degree. Professors care about student involvement and well-being. There are job opportunities that are brought up depending on specific majors with internships and job offers that are easy to attend.

Clayton

Its a great school with a great academic approach the only thing that school is missing is a better off-campus life with more school involvement just off campus. The school would do well to incorporate more off-campus events. I still would highly recommend this university, I myself have been to three college and this one definitely has a great academic approach!

Jacqueline

University of North Florida was my first choice school and it was a perfect fit for me. The campus is beautiful and calming to see after a long day of class. Many students here have hammocks that the use frequently near the trees by the lake. Everyone gets a smile on their face when they see the only white duck on campus who is named Howard and is very popular. Its not uncommon to see Howard the duck on a fellow student's snapchat story. We may not be a school famous for our sports, but we all get excited to watched our basketball team play! If your a sport fanatic, you can join Osprey Nation to get perks and notifications on all upcoming sports games. If your not into sports there's free movie showings once or twice a month hosted by Osprey Productions. Osprey Productions does a amazing job of setting up fun events. For example, they had concerts where Desiigner and Sage the Gemini performed. Now the Professors at UNF are just above and beyond. So far all the teachers I had offer so much extra help if your not understanding certain material. I had a professor who posted review sessions on his youtube channel. The campus library is always open late and free tutoring is always available every day of the week. There's so much more I can say about this school but it doesn't do it justice unless you go take the tour. If you want a humble small school this is it.I'm proud to be a Osprey!

Line

The University of North Florida is a safe choice for students who have yet to figure out their specific career goals. There are plenty of internships and other resources available to help you explore your options. the professors are usually fairly accessible and classes are small to medium-sized. there is not a huge social scene, but there are opportunities for those who like to put themselves out there.

T

I genuinely enjoy this school. There is something interesting to be found every day and the teachers and staff are always helpful and kind. School will always be school, but when I arrive at least I know that I am working in an environment that works for me too.

Mya

Safe and intellectual

Casie

From the first time I toured UNF, I felt more 'at home' than at any other college I toured. I felt like it was somewhere that I could really make a home and a future for myself. I loved the area, and that there are so many job opportunities just down the street. There are clubs to join for every interest, and resources available for everyone. I've personally been to the counseling center, and it's so nice to go and talk to someone who's there just to listen to you and help you through your problems.

Leah

I recently toured the University of North Florida and I have to say that I was very impressed. This is now my first-choice school and I can definitely see myself spending the next chapter of my life here. I love the bright open campus with the green grass and the big windows. I love that they offer vegan food in their cafeteria and even have a vegan and vegetarian society. On top of that, I love that the buildings do not feel like prison and walking around campus feels like walking around in a field with beautiful modern buildings on either side. I really hope I get admitted to this university!

Mason

I am a college freshman and so far my overall experience at The University of North a Florida has been amazing. The campus is beautiful surrounded by over 1300 acres of nature preserve. The campus life has been a fun experience as the student life group has really done a great job planning daily activities for the summer kickoff. The campus overall is beautiful and all buildings and classes are very accessible to the student living on campus. The cafe has many daily options to choose from including a dietician available to help make decisions if needed. The wellness center is beautiful and offers so many options to all students to encourage and maintain overall a health lifestyle. My overall experience thus far has far exceeded my expectation and definitely recommend the college and campus to anyone looking for that personal experience in college.

Curtis

I thoroughly enjoy UNF. The campus is beautiful, the students are nice, professors are very understanding and helpful. We encourage everyone to do their best and we also encourage everyone to be who they are. The amount of help you can receive on the student end of the spectrum is fantastic.

Kerry

The University of North Florida has a copious amount of activities for every student. It's a very inclusive campus- everyone can express their opinion freely. The professors are great instructors, and most students are eager to learn. The professors are always open for questions and will help any and all students.

Bonita

It's really small but Jacksonville isn't a about college city like bigger colleges are. It's known for more local university for those local. There's isn't much off campus activity besides the beach, bars, and Jaguar football game. Jacksonville and UNF is great for those going for Logistics, Business, and Health.

The University of North Florida is an incredible school. One of the biggest appeals to the University is that they are student focused. Every decision reflects what the students want or how to better the University for the students. UNF cares about everyone and the professors aim to develop professional relationships with their students to provide them with the best opportunities.

Everett

Overall it's a well-balanced school that strongly supports academics, sports, and arts. The professors are very helpful and will always try to improve your learning experience and the class sizes aren't too big. The campus and its dorms are well-kept. The students always have some type of activity going on throughout campus that cover a wide variety of topics. Parties do happen occasionally on weekends.

Jovan

I love attending the University of North Florida. It is a great academic and very student friendly. You can always find an event going on whether it be a University sporting event or events to keep the student body up beat. I love the diverse atmosphere and I'm very satisfied with my choice to attend The University of North Florida.

Ethan

This University has perfect class sizes and involved professors. The campus is very well maintained, the architecture is beautiful, and there is plenty to do on campus. This is being written in my second semester at the school and I have absolutely no complaints so far.

Mellani

I had transferred to UNF from a community college and I had never felt like I belonged in college until I came to UNF. UNF is where I made my first friends and where I made my first international friends, form China, South Korea, France, Germany, Spain, Argentina, New Zealand and Australia. I have been blessed to attend UNF and make connection from all over the world without having to leave the city. UNF is where i finally belonged.

Laurence

Overall UNF is a diverse and constantly changing environment. For the most part everybody including students,faculty,and staff, are willing to go the extra mile for you . If ever you are in need there is many student based positions such as Healthy Osprey Ambassadors that act as resource centers and as peer educators that always are willing to help.

Meagan

The University of North Florida is a school I take much pride in. It is crazy to believe that it was the last school in my applications list, actually I stand corrected. It was never on my list, but after having a dance competition in there fine arts center, it opened my eyes! The school feels like home, and it offers so much academically and socially. The environment is one I love to be in, and all the professors and students all seem to really have a true, caring spirit. Sports is the only thing I was more disappointed in, but it was so easy to look past that because it gave me so many opportunities and benefits. The campus is beautiful, the people are so nice, the professors are on top of ther game, and the housing is so great! I’m in love with this school and everything it provides. It is my home. Also, to top it off, their is so much to do and so close to the school as well, such as the town center, downtown and the beach. UNF is great at creating and brining together the community!

Kristen

I really cannot wait to attend UNF starting in July. I'm excited to be out of my house but still close enough to see my parents when I want. I'll be trying out for the cheer team and competing at the college level. The only thing missing is a football team.

Erin

I love how everything on campus is within walking distance and located on a nature preserve. This school is growing in popularity, yet still has small class sizes that facilitate better learning and allow the professors to get to know their students.

When I first got accepted into University of Florida, I was super stoked! I heard so many good things about their education and social life. It wasn't until I visited campus that I was proven right about this school, that it is huge and fun-looking! I feel important here, I feel as though every student on campus has a purpose in life and they are here to prove it with UNF's amazing education. I'm so glad I have the opportunity to learn on this campus and be an Osprey! :)

Jordan

UNF is a small college where you can get a lot of individualized attention from your teachers and spend a lot of time in nature. Greek life isn't huge, and sometimes I wish there were more clubs. It's a huge commuter campus so the nightlife is nonexistent and campus is dad on the weekends. Overall I've had a great experience here and I'd recommend it to all my friends.

Alissa

My first decision to go to UNF (University of North Florida) was primarily because it was close to where I lived. Now that I have been a student for two years I must say I am so happy with my decision and cannot imagine what it would be like going to another school. The atmosphere is wonderful and I have made so many personal connections with both students and teachers. I love every single one of my classes and teachers-- I do not know who else can say that about their school. It is not just the curriculum either, there are so many opportunities to do things outside of class both on- and off-campus. UNF has become my home away from home, and I am very happy that they chose me to attend!

Barbara

I think the university of north florida is a beautiful school overrall. It is not a huge campus but just big enough for me. There is great resources around campus to help me if I need any type of help. Their is alot of extra curricular activities I can join which is great.

Brandi

Summer A is probably the worst time to enroll or start for the first time. Normally there are plenty of food options to choose from, all with flexible hours, but not at this time. The college accepts and houses a very small number of students (I'm one of 250) which means there isn't enough money to keep things open or as staffed as they should be. During Summer B and onwards this is not a problem. You'll get to see UNF in all it's glory--some on-campus locations are open as late as 3AM! Very helpful for a late night study session. The library is an indispensable resource open for a good chunk of the day. Only second to ACE (Academic Center for Excellence) which offers free and paid tutoring, as well as study areas based on the course and teacher you take. There's many clubs to partake in (if you have the time in your schedule). While there's a noticeable fraternity and sorority presence (including discounts in some places), they are mostly composed and contained. Many of them choose to set up bake sales the first few weeks of the semester. If you have some spare bills on hand it's a pretty convenient way to grab a snack before class. Professors are usually sensible and polite. A few have become legends in their own right (for ALL the wrong reasons). Academic advisors and professors may not tell the truth so it's best to consult friends and Rate My Professor before you commit to one.

Kaitlynn

It's a great school. It isn't too big yet that you get lost in a crowd, but it's big enough that there are always new people to meet and talk to. I'm in a sorority and I absolutely love it and my sisters. Greek life has been an integral part of my college experience thus far. The classes are great and professors are generally accessible when needed and hold regular office hours.

Jasmyn

Overall, I love our school. You have available clubs for everyone. There is always help in the academic department . I was greeted with open arms as I entered the University. Games are always a plus when you get chance to attend. The campus is beautiful.It's always great to be an Osprey.

Damon

I think the campus is beautiful , the teachers are great. The sports are really great, there is a lot of support for the basketball team. The class sizes are really nice. The gym is super nice, it has a a rock wall and a track on the inside. It is a really nice school.

Christian

Stepping on campus for the first time Freshman year was like entering a whole new world, and I felt right at home. The dorms are updated for the most part, and the many amenities, including the pool and game rooms made school much easier whenever I needed a break. The food is excellent, especially the cafe, where one finds a plethora of options, ranging from home-cooked style food, to salad building stations, pasta stations, and a grill. The other on-campus food is also superb, such as Chick-fil-A, Einsteins Bagels, and the convenience store snacks. The UNF classroom sizes vary, depending on the course level. For example, an introductory class such as Chemistry I would likely have over 100 students in a lecture hall, while an upper level math class like Calculus III might have 30 students. The professors are all great people for the most part, and although they all push their students hard, myself and others have learned a great deal. I have completed 2 full years as of Summer 2019, and I am looking very forward to finish off my next 2 years. Overall, I would highly recommend UNF to anyone entering college for the first time, because it has lots to offer, all the staff genuinely care about the students, and the campus is extraordinary.

Desiree

University of North Florida is a campus like most when it comes to the active party life of the students, however it is never out of control. With no football team because the school is so small, it makes up for it with the basketball league and other various sports and clubs available. unf is a beautiful school conveniently located beside the town center. I do not regret getting my bachelor degree here.

Selena

The University of North Florida is a beautiful college lot of nature covering the campus. UNF seems to pride itself on its science programs which are a good thing for me since I am a biomedical student. Overall UNF cares about its students and wants them to do well in class and life.

RACHAEL

I loved UNF. Unlike a lot of other universities, it's kind of a closed off campus, so it's like a little city in itself. And the campus is beautiful, but not to big. It takes about 15 minutes to walk from one side of campus to the other. The faculty is also really nice (at least in the music department), and the teacher's always challenge you to think outside the box. It's a growing university that's thriving very well.

Tiffany

It is a great school filled with diverse cultures and offers many opportunities to explore them. There are great classes that offer good class sizes so you get to know your class mates and teacher. There are multiple clubs to join and opportunities to meet new people.

FRANKANATOR

The University of North Florida is a quirky group of people. Having said that I have had nothing but good experiences here. Everyone is very down to earth and you don't have the judgement form other students that you may get at larger schools. There is a well balance of greek and sports life, however there is no football program. Regardless students still tailgate for basketball games.

MADISON

This is only my first semester here, but already I have learned so much about my school. They offer tons of support systems. You can go to the gym on-campus 7 days a week and we have a huge, beautiful library. There are plenty of food options on campus, although I wish there were more healthy options. Most of my classes have about 20-30 students, and I have one with about 200. I like all my professors and they really are there to teach. I like it much more than I thought I would. We just need more parking!