Cedar Falls, IA
University of Northern Iowa

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Northern Iowa

Mackenzie

I consider the student involvement to be the best thing about the University of Northern Iowa. There are many different ways of becoming involved at this particular university. Whether you want to become a member of an organization, start to volunteer, or even work there are an abundance of opportunities available to you. I have met numerous undergraduates from this school and all of them have been extremely welcoming to and accepting of me. I hope that I will continue to make these kinds of life long friends on every path that life leads me.

I wish I would have known that student involvement is a major determining factor of your perception of college. When I started my first year, I only had a few friends from high school. It was really difficult for me to have the entire college experience without meeting new people. As the semester went on, I decided to join an organization, TOMS UNI campus team. The following semester I applied for a job at the campus bakery. Just with these two added activities, I have met numerous new people. I plan to volunteer next year to become even more involved.

Kathleen

As a high school senior I felt college would be a breeze and that classes would be the same as they were at that time. However if I could back I would tell myself to alter that way of thinking because college is really tough and you need to pay attention, focus, and work hard. I would also tell myself to follow my dream instead of my parents and not let them choose what would be good for me. Following your dream is what college is about in hopes that you will become what you want to be one day. If I had known that as a senior it would have really changed what I ended up doing and might have even helped me to work a lot harder in my studies.

I think a lot of students complain about how the administration can give you the run around when adding and dropping courses. This is only because you cannot just go the main building, Gilchrest to switch things over. A student must go to different buildings to get a couple of signatures. It is not horrible thing however as a student who has been given the run around I would hope that the university would be more technologically advanced to this in one area.

The kind of person who should attend this school is someone who doesn't want an enormous school. This university to me makes me feel at home which is one of the reasons I chose to go here. There are tons of activities going on all the time so a person who really likes to be involved would love to go here.

The University of Northern Iowa strives to make sure every student receives a quality education by providing smaller class sizes in order to allow personal relationships with professors and great learning environments.

If I was able to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that some college classes aren't a walk in the park like most high school classes were for me. During my high school years, I took advanced classes when I could, even some with dual college credit. Yes, they were more difficult than regular classes, but I still didn't have to try as hard as some people to receive and A in the course. Everything came almost naturally to me, and I never had to study very often. However, when arriving at college, I soon figured out that I was going to actually have to study for most of my classes. This was a difficult adjustment for me, something I'm still trying to master. It became even harder still when I came down with mono and other various infections, since the professors aren't as sympathetic as high school teachers. My professors still expected me to get my work done which is to be expected of a college university. If I could go back and tell my high school self one thing, it would be "be prepared".

I let all my friends know that it only takes around ten minutes to walk all the way across campus, I know all of my professors personally, and I'm part of a great golf team. Most of my friends go to bigger schools where it takes them half an hour to get to class, whereas at the University of Northern Iowa it usually takes me five minutes to get to any of my classes. I don't waste time walking everywhere and I have more time to do other things. The campus is beautiful as well.

Jonathan

The Univeristy of Northern Iowa is best known for its energetic students and teacher. Besides showig school spirit, working hard, and going to the football games we love to dance. There is not a sporting event that goes by in which the whole student body does not dance. There is a constant stream of dance parties that go on during the year that truly bring us all together and works off our stress. UNI is known for its signature dance called "The Interlude" that never fail to get people excited and moving.

The students at UNI are unlike any other students I have seen before. Each and every student that I have met have all told me that once they first stepped onto the UNI campus they knew that they were at the right college from them. The campus has its own unique personality and atmosphere that draws studnets in and makes them feel at home; it gives us students a home away from home.

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self I would look myself directly in the eye and say, 'Work hard Jonathan. Work hard and never settle for just enough. You have it in you to do great things with your life, I know because I have just started to scratch the surface of it. There will be times when you think you cannot work any harder or make a difference but it is at those moment when you must perserve. You will make an excellent teacher when you graduate but you must never get discouraged. Work for greatness and you will earn it. Also, I want you to know that it is okay to break out of your shell and dance like no one is watching. I will do great things someday."

Cassy

The University of Northern Iowa is academically challenging and has opened up new oppurtunities in my job and lifestyle.

Most of my classmates are very motivated individuals. The quality of work that they put into everything is so much greater than anything I saw in high school. Its a really self-motivating environment just saying how well everyone around you performs.

If I could go back and give my advice about college while I was still in high school, I would first of all tell myself to take more dual credit courses. I have talked to alot of people here that are already in sophmore status because of the courses they took in high school that counted for credit. This means that they will be done with college a whole year before me and in the work force, which is outstanding to me. Also, dual credit courses are free. When I was in high school, i thought the classes I was taking wouldnt count towards my degree because they didn't interest me. You always need to fill in electives, and taking classes then would have easily saved me $1,000 dollars. My last bit of advice would be to get started right away on college, don't wait. I graduated early in February and this put me at a disadvantage by waiting about six months to start college. I couldn't remember very current things that I had learned simply because it had been so long. I could have gotten a jump start by starting as soon as I graduated.

My school is very welcoming, as it gives students a home-like environment that is not too big or too small, and as it accomodates for almost anything a student could need without having to leave campus.

Looking back, I would have plenty of helpful advice to give myself as a high school senior. I would advise myself to start becoming more independent before college with varoius tasks, such as preparing meals, doing laundry, and purchasing everything with my own money. Additionally, I would advise myself to create a budget, clip coupons, and moniter whether or not my purchases are necessary. A great way to save money is to take advantage of the grab-and-go dining services on campus. They are nice bec ause I can grab extra items when I get a meal there, and it just comes out of my dining plan. I would also advise myself to become more independent in other ways, such as learning to be away from family and friends. I made several trips home the first few months of college, but quickly realized I was wasting money on gas, missing out on campus activities and exploring my college town. I would advise myself to embrace the separation, though it may be difficult at first. Although I would have much more advice for myself as a high school senior, I feel this advice is some of the most important.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the diversity; while diversity is a positive thing that I welcome, I also feel that it creates a lot of conflict among people of different viewpoints at times.

If I were able to go back and tell myself about college I would have a lot to say. I would tell myself not to worry about the work load, that the teachers are nicer than I expected, that if you ask the right people you can get the help you need. The main office is a great resource and there are always people available to help. I would tell myself that there is nothing to be afraid of straight out of high school, college is just the next step up and there are hand rails there to make sure I don't fall.

The University of Northern Iowa is small, friendly, and focused on helping its students find careers after graduation.

It's more compact and has a friendlier environment. One can walk across campus in ten minutes and probably run into someone they recognize along the way. It also has well-known business and education programs. Other schools I looked at were so large and spread out that taking a bus to class was almost a necessity, and weren't focused in the areas I was looking into.

If I could travel back in time, I would tell myself to attend a college visit to the University of Northern Iowa sooner in the year and to choose a major so I would have more specific information on classes I would need to take. Entering college as an undecided major had its benefits, but I would have liked to come in knowing what I needed to accomplish to get my degree. Along the same lines, I would tell myself to take a few classes over the summer at a community college to prepare myself for the demand of college classes and to ease the financial burden a little. I remember being very stressed my first semester because my classes were so different from what I was used to in high school. I believe easing into it in this manner would have been wise. I would not, however, advise myself to delay going to UNI by attending a community college first, because if I wouldn't have started at the time I did, I may never have met my roommate, who was chosen randomly and who I am now living with for the third year in a row.

Lillie

I would have told myself during my high school senior year to be more active in school. Especially with extracurricular activities and volunteer work. While studying harder in school to get a higher gpa for merit aid. I also would have applied for more scholarships and had a more focused mind at that time. Money magazine and scholarship books should have been my first priority to read over teen magazines.

Jim

Embrace your future and let go of the past. This is a bold and valuable new opportunity in your life. You will always have the close friendships you've developed up until now. However, you will make new friends with new shared experiences that will be richly rewarding. As for your education, you cannot make a bad decision when it comes to attending college. The colleges in the United States are some of the finest in the world, in all price ranges. What matters is that you are challenging yourself in order to connect with a brighter future filled with more choices than you would have if you didn't go. Don't worry about the money. This may sound naive but it's not. When you realize that you cannot make a bad choice, you can go to the school that best fits your schedule and your financial situation. If it takes you five or six years to get a degree, it's still worth it. If you can afford to go directly to a four year college, then do that. Whatever your choice, remember that your education can never be taken from you.

University of Northern Iowa administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.