Cedar Falls, IA
University of Northern Iowa

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Northern Iowa

They keep class interesting and most are outspoken so during class you're presented with different perspectives.

As far as finding the right school for you, be sure to visit. You learn a lot more from visiting the campus than you do a website. Also, I learned most about my school from talking to current students and alumni (especially those in your intended major). They can provide you with the best information and tips about life at school. They've been through it afterall. To make the most of your experience make friends. Get outside of your comfort zone, meet new people, and try new things. Get involved on campus and, as cheesy as it sounds, you'll make memories that last a lifetime:)

The availability of certain courses that may only be offered once every 2 years.

Mitchell

It is a smaller college which gives it a small town atmosphere but it has the facilities of a large university.

Learn all you can about the college experience before you go so you can enjoy it when you're there.

Scott

The University of Northern Iowa is best known for its education program. Many of the students who come to Northern Iowa are going to become teachers. Northern Iowa is also known for being a bigger school with a small town accomodating atmosphere.

Choosing a college is one of the most difficult decisions one will face. There are many factors to consider while making that big decision. The one bit of advice I would give to any student or parent is to go with what feels right. When I was choosing a college it was very difficult because I basically had one day to get a feel for the campus and environment. However, I feel i made the best decision. I took a visit to UNI and knew at the end of the day that is where I wanted to attend school, it just felt right. It is a very big adjustment, so go with what makes you feel like your at home, I feel there is no better feeling than that of being at home. Some of the factors one should consider while making this decision is their major, if known at the time, size of school, classroom atmosphere, is it more hands on or lecture learning, campus atmoshere, and facilities on campus. Those are just a few of many, however, they help with the process. The one piece of advice I would give is to go with what feels right!

One of the best qualities of Northern Iowa is the size of the school. I believe this because students are able to recieve assistance from professors without having to deal with any hassles. Students at the University of Northern Iowa aren't just a number to professors, everyone is treated equally and gets an equal opportunity to succeed. Also many of the classes have forty to sixty students so it is very easy to get to meet new people and interact.

Cassandra

Parents: Play a part in the decision of your childs future. Determine your relationship with your child, and location of school/cost. Student: Do not let parents decide where you HAVE to go, it is your decision too, but it also depends on who is paying for the tuition.

A person who has equal values about succeeding academically and having a rewarding social life.

I brag about how many opportunities there are to get involved on campus. I always take pictures of the carnivals and show off how much fun I have.

Make sure to check what majors the college offers before you committ to going there. Think about all of your interests, and pick a college that offers majors related to your interests. I decided to change my major my second year of college and realized that my University didn't have the major I wanted, and it would have put me too far behind to transfer to another college, so now I'm majoring in something that I'm not sure if I really want to do. Location and size are extremely important too. The college I go to is a state university, so it's big, but it's not over populated. The city it's in is relatively small and very safe. Those two factors really boost a college's appeal.

Going to a University, I thought that I'd be just another kid on campus. However, it surprised me how easily you can get a reputation and how often you see the same people. I also didn't expect the courses to be so difficult.

Abigale

As cliche as it sounds, college is truly what you make of it. When searching for the perfect college, I was set on an ivy leauge school far away from home. Once I visited I realized, within the first ten minutes, that it would be the most awful place for me to attend school. Next I decided that I loved a secondary choice school, a priviate medium sized college seven hours away from home. My parents, who are helping me pay for college, decided that was not the place for me to go, not only because of cost, but also safety reasons. Finally, we agreed on a medium sized state school a few hours from home. I dreaded the prospect of attending this school because I knew it would be "too public-schoolish". After the first week I knew college would truly be exactly what I make it to be. I became involved in honors programs and club tennis. I made friends with people from all backgrounds and academic levels, and found out they all added fun dimensions to my life. This college has truly drawn me to a new place and helped me find me!

The best part about my school is the friends. Nearly all of the people that I have encountered are genuninely friendly. It is easy to sit down in a class on the first day and strike up a conversation with almost anyone, in any grade level, and make a friendship. The size of the campus also makes it easy to meet many more people, and often see people you already know.

This is the type of school for a variety of people to attend. While many who go there are midwest, middle of the road, type of people, there are others. This school can be great for someone who is very academically driven, there are many honors programs and courses to be involved in, beyond the regular "state school" curriculum.

Josh

When coming to UNI, be prepared for a university that tries to keep students first, but it also can come up short. Never let the first impression make you make opinions on the school, because the school is better (and worse) then some people believe.

Self motivated students who are willing to learn and succeed.

Students that aren't punctual, prepared, or responsible.

Kevin

Trust your instincts. Go to a college that makes you feel at home and at ease. When at school, involve yourself in as many activities as you find interesting, meet new people, and don't be afraid to put yourself out there. Balance is also key to a succesful experience. Work hard, play hard. Bring out your full potential in everything you do and make it known to the world that you have arrived.

I wish I would have known not to worry about making friends or being accepted. Everyoneis really friendly here.

I think that a great thing about the school is that anyone who is determined, open-minded, and just wanting to have a great experience should go. I don't believe there is a specific type of individual who will excel over others, just because of certain traits. UNI is fun, encouraging, and extremely rewarding.

Ben

Our school is probably best known as a teacher's college. We educate a lot of teachers at this school, quality teachers. However, we are also known as a suitcase campus as hardly any students stay here on the weekend. This works for me though as it allows me to concentrate on my studies which is why I'm in college.

I would encourage students to look for a school where the professors teach the classes. I attended the University of Iowa as well and I was appalled when 2/3 of the class sessions were led by T.A.s and not professors. This makes professors seem less accessible and makes it harder to establish relationships with them.

Our financial aid department seems focused on attracting high school students at the expense of students achieving at the University. In my case, I have been on the Dean's List for four semesters while being a Resident Assisstant and being in Student Government. Yet, I get no financial aid while I watch students come in (with worse high school scores than I had) that get whole years paid for. I transfered here and it's almost as if I am invisible to the FInancial Aid Department.

University of Northern Iowa administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.