University of Northern Iowa

« See more reviews of University of Northern Iowa

I believe the worst thing about the University of Northern Iowa is the attitude of half of the professors. I have run across a lot of professors who sit on their high throne and are not willing to help or be understanding about anything. Many when approached for help treat students rudely and expect them to figure it out on their own. Along with being rude, some professors are just plain lazy. All professors are not this way, but when a student gets stuck with one that is it makes it extremely hard to learn or even want to learn.

The worst thing about the University of Northern Iowa is probably the dorm life. Although they are now building new on campus appartments called Panther Village and those are going to be really nice. The bathrooms in the dorm can get kind of gross because there's about 60 girls to a bathroom area and it only gets cleaned once a day and doesnt get cleaned on Sundays. For now I am just stuck with an older room without air conditioning and the heater makes a clanging noise all the time. It's not bad, just not good.

Our financial aid department seems focused on attracting high school students at the expense of students achieving at the University. In my case, I have been on the Dean's List for four semesters while being a Resident Assisstant and being in Student Government. Yet, I get no financial aid while I watch students come in (with worse high school scores than I had) that get whole years paid for. I transfered here and it's almost as if I am invisible to the FInancial Aid Department.

I think a lot of students complain about how the administration can give you the run around when adding and dropping courses. This is only because you cannot just go the main building, Gilchrest to switch things over. A student must go to different buildings to get a couple of signatures. It is not horrible thing however as a student who has been given the run around I would hope that the university would be more technologically advanced to this in one area.

If I had to choose one thing I disliked about my school it would be the lack of school spirit we have. Our school is usually covered in apperal from other local state schools. We also have very small crowds of people that attend our sporting events. Our school also does not support extra activities very well such as: chorus, football, basketball, plays, etc... Besides that small fact I love everything else about the University of Northern Iowa

I believe that the worst thing about my school is the lack of social opportunites within the classroom. By increasing the amount of time we can socialize with our classmates we would be able to form study groups easier, and thus create good social networking to help with our overall academic performance. With a majority of the classes being only lechures we are unable to get the classmate social network that is needed for better learning.

The worst thing about our school is the layout of the campus. The campus has had many additions and therefore spands across a wide range and has busy streets that go through the area. With the odd layout there are parking issues because of the inaccurate amount of parking and the distance from the dorm hall. While walking to classes from some dorns you often have to wait while traffic goes through.

There are not a lot of bad things I can say about UNI. The winters in Northern Iowa are the worst, and that is probably the most discouraging thing...especially after last winter! I am extremely satisfied about everything at UNI, it has a big university feel with small class sizes. The sports are fantastic and there is a lot to do on the weekends. I have not met a professor I did not respect.

My experience at the University of Northern Iowa was a very positive experience. At times, when taking required general education classes the size of the classes tended to be very large. This made it more difficult to get the personalized attention that some students were seeking. These students may felt more successful if the class size had been smaller.

The worst thing about my school is that a lot of the classes are geared towards powerpoints and lecturing. There is no room made for open discussion or any other opportunities for class participation. I wish there was more variety in teaching styles that would help keep the class focused rather than dozing off.