University of Northern Iowa Top Questions

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior in high school I would tell myself a few things. First I would tell myself that I was right in my initial decision as to what I wanted to do for a career and not to second guess myself. Secondly I would tell myself not to go to college directly out of high school. I strongly believe this because high school did not prepare me for what was required at the next level. It takes a level of dedication that I was not prepared to give. Only through taking time away from school did I acquire the dedication necessary. Thirdly I would tell myself that as soon as I got into school to cherish every moment. Cherish every moment because it goes by quickly and it is the most enjoyable time of your life. Lastly, and most importantly, I would tell myself to never give up on your dreams because, whether you want to admit it or not, you are more than capable of achieving your ultimate goal.

Aisha

"This is your time to pave your own path," is how I would start my conversation. I grew up in a home that every Sunday we would go to church, we would eat dinner at this time, and I could only see certain friends. My mother instilled positive morals in me that I thought I would follow for the rest of my life, but then I moved half way across the country and mother was not there any more. If I wanted to, I could leave hair on my bathroom floor, I could stay up all night, I could even go out partying. With college came a new freedom that also carried with it new temptations. There is pressure from friends to drink to fit in even though the drinker may be underaged. My childhood principles told me one thing but the new oppurtunties told me another; I learned about these forks in the road when I was a kid but I never realised they were real and that I would want to chose the "bad" desicion. So now that I have been enlightened with this knowledge I would tell myself, "Be your own person and make your own decisions."

Trust your instincts. If you know deep down that you don't want to be a business major, or a music major or any other major, please do not spend your time in something you hate. You'll thank me now for taking a semester and exploring all sorts of areas of interest to yourself (whether that is on campus taking gen eds or taking a semester to travel abroad or just figur out your life). Think about what you want to do in five years, where you want to live, the job you want to have, what your dream day job would be, and take steps towards getting there. It doesn't matter what your parents want you to do, or your friends, or your girlfriend. None of their ideas or plans for your life are worth a penny, only yours. So take your time, learn about who you are and don't be afraid to change course just because it isn't what you think the plan should be.

I would tell myself not to be nervous about it. Before I went to college I was nervous because I thought it would be really hard and challenging. College is challenging, but as long as you work hard you will do well. I would tell myself that it's ok to not be sure of what you want to do with your life. Lots of other people aren't sure either. I would also tell myself to be friendly right from the start. Getting plugged in and connected is much easier when you do it at the beginning when everyone else is still making friends and connections. I would also tell myself to spend my money more wisely to save up for college. Lastly I would tell myself that University of Northern Iowa is a great fit for me.

I would tell myself not to get so stressed out. I was terrified of moving into college, I was afraid to leave everything I knew. Once I got here, I realized that I wasn't the only one that was lost or confused. That made me feel better, just knowing that as a class all of the freshmen were also lost and confused. I eventually learned where all my classes were, which really helped me feel like I belonged. Some people didn't transition as well as others, but I relied on different support groups like my friends and family. My advisor also genuinely cared about me, which made me feel like a person instead of a number. I would also tell myself to be outgoing, it's college! You're allowed to be whoever you want to be! Make friends, make mistakes, and make more mistakes, but learn from them. Mistakes happen, and life goes on; don't dwell on your mistakes.

Jocelyn

As a senior in high school, I was terrified to come to college. I was terrified I would never speak to my high school friends again. I was terrified my classes would get much harder and I would not be able to keep up. I was terrified I would not like college and not make friends. After starting college, I realized how I could not have been more wrong. Everything I expected to happen did not happen, in fact I had opposite results. I love college. I find my classes more challenging, but since they are more difficult I work harder and get more out of them. I have made a lot of new friends and keep in touch with my old ones. I have become involved in various organizations on campus. I am even going to travel abroad to Germany this summer. In other words, my high school senior self could not have been more wrong about college. If I could go back, I would tell myself, "worry less and enjoy senior year because it was great one. College will be a eye-opening, enriching, and exciting experience that you will love. Don't be scared, enjoy the ride."

Claudia

I am a college graduate who is back in school tyring to get into medical school. I am doing my prerequisites now at a community college. I am currently working on a post-baccalaureate pre-medical program to move onto medical school. I earned an undergraduate degree in Human Development, so I am now enhancing my study of the human with the courses medical schools require upon applying. If I could go back in time and tell my high school senior self something, I would tell myself to keep all my science course work! It is all going to be studied again in the few semesters to come. I need to take physics, biology, and chemistry at the college level now; if I still had my high school course work I would have a refresher and a foundation to what I need to learn now. It is okay though, I did great in high school, I was in the top ten of my class, so hopefully when I come across these courses again, I will still be able to work hard and earn a great grade so I can prove that I am worthy of getting into medical school.

Madeline

I would tell myself to not hold back and live in the past. You may love your boyfriend now, but you need to think about you. You never know when things can go wrong. If he loves you, he will find a way to keep up with you. If he can't do that, then he isn't right for you. You need to pave your own way, not looking back. It is hard to be away from home, but you can't let it interfere with you college life. Trust that good things will follow you if you follow your heart. The path will be rough, there will be heartbreak. But you CAN get past it and the best way to do so is to not look back. Enjoy your journey and don't let anyone or anything hold you back.

Abby

I would of tried harder in high school, senior year people always think it's the year to slack off and not care. I wish I would of been involved in more things, at school and in the community. I should of prepared myself more for college by figuring out good study habits. I would tell myself to take it more seriously and get good grades because it will help when attending college.

Colin

I would have told myself to go to a real university first, and not spend two years at community college at my hometown. I would tell myself to buckle down and study more, and that it isn't impossible to get good grades if you really work for them, the more you put in, the more you put out. I would ask myself what I really want to do with my life, so I don't waste time taking pointless classes that have nothing to do with my current major. Overall, my message to my past self would be 'Focus'. If I had focused more in highschool, maybe I would have done better, and now that I'm in college it's a lesson I had to learn the hard way. By focusing and putting effort into my work, I've learned that I can acheive almost anything, and that nothing is impossible. I've done things that I thought were impossible for me: Joining the army, getting A's and B's, all by focusing applying myself and doing what I had to when I needed to. That would be my overall message: focus, and it can be done.

If I could go back to myself as a high school senior I would give myself an overwhelming amount of advice, but I feel like the majority of the advice would be to not worry so much about what other people think of me, and to stay true to who I am and what I know in my heart is right. I would tell myself to save money and not feel the need to keep up with the Jones' because in the end it doesn't really matter and I will be better off in the long run. I would also tell myself to be sure and focus on getting as much out of college as possible. There is so much knowledge available to be acquired and if it isn't taken seriously, so much can be missed. If I could go back and do it all over again I would definitely focus a little bit more, especially during my first couple years of college. Instead of doing the minimum, would spend a little time making it the most valuable experience I possibly could.

kayla

Register for all the right classes and learn more on scholarships and grants

Dear high school me, College isn't what you expect. It actually feels like home. You're going to make great friends that you'll have forever, and the choices in boys is MUCH better than at home. You'll do great with the transition- there are times when you might miss your family a little, but just remember, college is exactly what you need to be doing right now. Remember how you want to travel everywhere? There are so many opportunities for you here! Cedar Falls has become your permanent home, and you won't change that for the world. You love it here, and even though times may get hard, you make it through to write this letter to yourself. Don't get stressed. College is so much fun, and you don't even know it yet! High school may seem awesome now, but you know that you love your independence. You can do what you want at college without telling anyone. You're doing good so don't worry. P.S. I know boys are complicated, but keep your head up, okay? You'll be frustrated with them just as much at college. Love, Me

Take it slow, it will get easier. I know you're excited to get out of the house and on your own but don't rush into it. Enjoy the time you have the summer before you first move into school! The University of Northern Iowa is the right place for you, stop doubting it and go with the flow. I know you want to be done with school but you need to get in gear and actually focus during college. It's easy to get swept up in meeting new people and being on your own but always try to keep grounded and make sure you get everything done on time and not to the bare minimum, show the professors that you care. It will all be over soon enough and you'll have lots of fond memories to cherrish for years on down the road. Your college experience is what you make of it so get out there and show everyone who you are and what you stand for. You can be who you want to be and do what you want to do, just tackle any obstacle that stands in your way and take it.

I'd tell myself to definitely apply myself more and come into college with a good GPA. I'd say get involved in activities more and make more an impact while you are there. Also take college credit classes to knock some out of th way before you go to college.

I would tell myself as a high school senior to fill out a lot of scholarships. I would aslo tell myself to ask about financial aid. I would tell myself to get involved on campus and to not be shy and just meet new people. I also think I would tell myself to go on campus tours whenever I could and remember where everything was. I think everything else was ok for me in high school. I think I would tell myself to try and take AP classes or college classes if they allowed me too. I think having some experience with college before I got here would help me while I am in college now.

As a high school senior I was just as confused as everyone else around me but I made one fatal mistake. I didn't do anything about it. I decided to wait a year instead, hoping things would just kind of come together for me later. I'm not sure how such a stupid thought entered my head but alas, a year has passed and I'm more confused than ever. Which decision comes first? Is it choosing a school, getting a scholarship, or deciding what I want to go to school for? Unfortunately, I still can't answer these questions. Yet, I do know that to go back to school I need money. Hence, searching for scholarships. It's a step, hopefully in the right direction. If I could go back just a year, I would tell myself to take advantage of all the people who offered me help before i rejected them and remind myself to stay strong. Obviously, the first scholarship or perhaps even school that I apply for may not accept me. I just have to remember not to take it personally and also to pursue what I know will make me happy and accomplished.

Looking back at myself as a senior and with what I know now, the main thing I would tell myself would be never lose yourself. The hardest thing about college is staying true to yourself and doing what you truly want and what is ultimately best for you. With the party scenes, and the new circles of friends, its hard to remember what matters to you. Don't let anyone else's ways, beliefs, or ideas become yours. You are your own person and that is all that matters. No matter how good of friends you think you have, you always come first. Work hard to your life goals and don't be distracted by other people's laziness. You are determined, you are a hard worker, don't lose that. Look to the future and don't hold on to the past. Balance your time wisely but spend some time to yourself.

Its not as easy as you think is going to its a long process and it take a long time so start working on it now

Traci

Make as many friends and connections as possible. Study hard, have fun. Go to class! Things are not as stressful as they may seem at the time. Remember it is only a test. Worry less about the grade and more about the content. Don't worry if you don't know what you want to do right away or if you change your mind. You're allowed to! Find what you love and are passionate about. It doesn't matter what everyone else thinks! Be who you are and love what you do. Life is too short to worry and to be unhappy. It make take you awhile and you may feel lost at times, but you are a smart person and you will figure out what is best for you!

Some advice that I would give to myself as a high school senior would definately be not to worry about what other people think about you and dont be too trusting with people you do not know. I would also advise myself to create better study habits and to start working on long term projects the day that you recieve the information, college projects are a lot more involved than the I-Search essay you had to do your senior year. Don't be afraid to make new friends, but remember that you are not a loser if you choose not to go out every night. Sometimes being alone is good so dont worry if you don't get asked out on a date or asked to go to the mall with your friends, there is plenty of time in your life for those things. Finally the last thing I would advise myself to do is not to rush your childhood, have fun and laugh as much as possible. Make your mistakes and learn from them. And always be open to advice, but know you do not have to take it if you do not want to.

If I was to go back in time to high school knowing what my first year of college was like, I would have multiple pieces of advice. First, I would prepare myself for the "work load," or in other words learn how to study! That was a skill that was not tought well at my high school. Second, I would tell myself to get involved! I was always involved in sports, but I did not volunteer enough or join enough clubs and organizations. Third, I would prepare myself for the independence. I was very independent in high school, but I was not grown up enough to succeed at the level that I would like here at UNI. After the first semester it took me a long time to build up that level of independence. Lastly, I would tell myself to think positive and enjoy the ride. College is only fun if you make it fun. It's about trying new things and having many new experiences. College is one of the biggest steps in our lifetime.

As a high school senior I felt college would be a breeze and that classes would be the same as they were at that time. However if I could back I would tell myself to alter that way of thinking because college is really tough and you need to pay attention, focus, and work hard. I would also tell myself to follow my dream instead of my parents and not let them choose what would be good for me. Following your dream is what college is about in hopes that you will become what you want to be one day. If I had known that as a senior it would have really changed what I ended up doing and might have even helped me to work a lot harder in my studies.

If I was able to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that some college classes aren't a walk in the park like most high school classes were for me. During my high school years, I took advanced classes when I could, even some with dual college credit. Yes, they were more difficult than regular classes, but I still didn't have to try as hard as some people to receive and A in the course. Everything came almost naturally to me, and I never had to study very often. However, when arriving at college, I soon figured out that I was going to actually have to study for most of my classes. This was a difficult adjustment for me, something I'm still trying to master. It became even harder still when I came down with mono and other various infections, since the professors aren't as sympathetic as high school teachers. My professors still expected me to get my work done which is to be expected of a college university. If I could go back and tell my high school self one thing, it would be "be prepared".

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self I would look myself directly in the eye and say, 'Work hard Jonathan. Work hard and never settle for just enough. You have it in you to do great things with your life, I know because I have just started to scratch the surface of it. There will be times when you think you cannot work any harder or make a difference but it is at those moment when you must perserve. You will make an excellent teacher when you graduate but you must never get discouraged. Work for greatness and you will earn it. Also, I want you to know that it is okay to break out of your shell and dance like no one is watching. I will do great things someday."

Cassy

If I could go back and give my advice about college while I was still in high school, I would first of all tell myself to take more dual credit courses. I have talked to alot of people here that are already in sophmore status because of the courses they took in high school that counted for credit. This means that they will be done with college a whole year before me and in the work force, which is outstanding to me. Also, dual credit courses are free. When I was in high school, i thought the classes I was taking wouldnt count towards my degree because they didn't interest me. You always need to fill in electives, and taking classes then would have easily saved me $1,000 dollars. My last bit of advice would be to get started right away on college, don't wait. I graduated early in February and this put me at a disadvantage by waiting about six months to start college. I couldn't remember very current things that I had learned simply because it had been so long. I could have gotten a jump start by starting as soon as I graduated.

Looking back, I would have plenty of helpful advice to give myself as a high school senior. I would advise myself to start becoming more independent before college with varoius tasks, such as preparing meals, doing laundry, and purchasing everything with my own money. Additionally, I would advise myself to create a budget, clip coupons, and moniter whether or not my purchases are necessary. A great way to save money is to take advantage of the grab-and-go dining services on campus. They are nice bec ause I can grab extra items when I get a meal there, and it just comes out of my dining plan. I would also advise myself to become more independent in other ways, such as learning to be away from family and friends. I made several trips home the first few months of college, but quickly realized I was wasting money on gas, missing out on campus activities and exploring my college town. I would advise myself to embrace the separation, though it may be difficult at first. Although I would have much more advice for myself as a high school senior, I feel this advice is some of the most important.

If I were able to go back and tell myself about college I would have a lot to say. I would tell myself not to worry about the work load, that the teachers are nicer than I expected, that if you ask the right people you can get the help you need. The main office is a great resource and there are always people available to help. I would tell myself that there is nothing to be afraid of straight out of high school, college is just the next step up and there are hand rails there to make sure I don't fall.

If I could travel back in time, I would tell myself to attend a college visit to the University of Northern Iowa sooner in the year and to choose a major so I would have more specific information on classes I would need to take. Entering college as an undecided major had its benefits, but I would have liked to come in knowing what I needed to accomplish to get my degree. Along the same lines, I would tell myself to take a few classes over the summer at a community college to prepare myself for the demand of college classes and to ease the financial burden a little. I remember being very stressed my first semester because my classes were so different from what I was used to in high school. I believe easing into it in this manner would have been wise. I would not, however, advise myself to delay going to UNI by attending a community college first, because if I wouldn't have started at the time I did, I may never have met my roommate, who was chosen randomly and who I am now living with for the third year in a row.

Lillie

I would have told myself during my high school senior year to be more active in school. Especially with extracurricular activities and volunteer work. While studying harder in school to get a higher gpa for merit aid. I also would have applied for more scholarships and had a more focused mind at that time. Money magazine and scholarship books should have been my first priority to read over teen magazines.

Jim

Embrace your future and let go of the past. This is a bold and valuable new opportunity in your life. You will always have the close friendships you've developed up until now. However, you will make new friends with new shared experiences that will be richly rewarding. As for your education, you cannot make a bad decision when it comes to attending college. The colleges in the United States are some of the finest in the world, in all price ranges. What matters is that you are challenging yourself in order to connect with a brighter future filled with more choices than you would have if you didn't go. Don't worry about the money. This may sound naive but it's not. When you realize that you cannot make a bad choice, you can go to the school that best fits your schedule and your financial situation. If it takes you five or six years to get a degree, it's still worth it. If you can afford to go directly to a four year college, then do that. Whatever your choice, remember that your education can never be taken from you.

There are quite a few things I wish I could have told myself in college, but the number one piece of advice I wish I would have know is that, "YOU WILL GET HOMESICK AND IT'S OK!" I came to UNI thinking I would adjust instantly, make my new best friends in a day, and not miss my family at all! Boy, was I wrong. It's a whole new ballpark at college and adjusting takes some time but it's worth it to stick it out because it WILL get better and you will end up thinking of it as second home!

Lori

If I could go back in time and speak to myself as a high school senior I would emphasis the importance of budgeting and money management. I would have told myself to apply for as many scholarships as I possible could in order to not have to take out student loans from the government. I'd tell myself to be mature and not be "normal" by taking out a bunch of student loans and ending up in thousands of dollars of debt right out of graduation. I would also tell myself to visit and research careers by job shadowing and interning. Furthermore, visit colleges to see what they are all about. Is the school a good fit with what you want to achieve? Lastly don't pick a degree thinking it's what your parents' want you to do. It's your career, it's your education, it's your life. Pick a major that you like and have the necessary skills to succeed.

"If you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." That quote by Henry Ford sums it all up for me. Will power is what will get you through your first year of college. Having the will power to do your homework while your friends are all hanging out together can be difficult, but it will pay off when you get the grades you want and need. Having the will power to get up every Sunday morning and go to Church, even by yourself and when you really want to sleepin can be hard as well, but your perseverance and love for the Lord will eventually shine through and lead other people to Christ or get them to go back to Church. Plus that is the place where you will meet your best friends. You know who your friends are when you can tell them things and they won't judge you, they won't try to change you or get you to do anything you don't want to do. If they do then they aren't your true friends. But the most important thing is to remember who you are and never give up.

Megan - you are a fun, friendly, loving person. You should not be afraid of who you are. Be yourself and just have as much fun as humanly possible. ALWAYS take up every opportunity in order to meet new people. Work and schoolwork are going to take over your life in a couple of years, so fun times need to always be had. There are people who can be your friends outside of your small hometown. Life is short, enjoy every moment, especially when nothing but school is to worry about.

The experiences I have gained just this year so far at UNI have given me memories to last a lifetime. The education I'm receiving is going to give me a bright future in a career I feel I will enjoy and have a passion for. The classes I've been in have helped me become a more well rounded individual. By attending UNI I have gained a world class education, friends to last a lifetime, and made connections with professors and community members that will help me reach my goals now and in the future. I strongly believe that UNI offers a quality education with small classes that have helped me gain more than I thought possible.

Where do I begin? In these first two years of college, I have experienced tremendous growth both in and out of the classroom. When I first attended college on an athletic scholarship for soccer, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I was just so excited for the opportunity to further my education and ready to experience all college had to offer. Preseason training was my first college experience. I soon found that most of my teammates were bilingual and from families who lived outside of the United States. It didn't take long for me to become fascinated with different people and their cultures. I have since forged strong friendships with a variety of my peers. I learn from them everyday. It's amazing to me how we can become so divided by our differences when in reality they make us the unique human beings that we are. It's because of my experience in college that I have been inspired to pursue a degree in social work. I want to help people of all races, ethnicities, creeds, religions, etc.

Delaney

College has certainly been an eye opener. Working your way through high school becomes so very monotonous, and every student drems of the day they are free. In college I am free to create my own schedule and have become the master of my time. I have been able to work more hours and save up money to pay for my own education. I have learned that money is certainly more valuable when you work hard for it. I have also learned that education is so very vital to the life you will live, and I am thankful that I can attend college and am thankful for every moment I am there.

It's all about time! There are so many ways I'm growing in my college experience. In some ways, I've taken some steps back in order to grow. Once too cool to walk anywhere after getting my drivers licsence, I'm back to walking. The dorky snow boots from grade school? They're not only a necessity, but a fashion statement. And similar to starting Kindergarten, I've re-discovered how to be assertive and put myself out there to meet new people. But time management is the most valuable skill I've learned during my first semester at college. My mother no longer is there to keep my priorities in check. It's all on me, up to me. I'm proud of me, that I've been able to manage both classes and work, learning studying techniques to use my time effectively and earn good grades. I'm learning how to learn.

I have gained a thirst for knowledge in college. Not only knowledge in the classroom, but knowledge of the world around me. I have come to realize that it isn't all about me. My life is a small part of this amazingly fast paced world. Here I am discovering how I can make my miniscule life matter. We can not value what we do but rather who we are, and this school is helping me realize how important that is.

From my college experience here at the University of Northern Iowa has been one I will remember. This is because it has been good so far. There is so many things to participate in. There are clubs for just about anything, homecoming is so fun to participate in with all of the great traditions, the events that the student body government puts on are always fun to attend. Living here on campus has been a blast. The class room settings also have been something that I really thought would be different coming into college. At frist I thought I was going to have classes that were all 100 plus students, but I found out that most class sizes are around 60 people. The teachers have been very helpful and you learn a lot if you apply yourself. This school has been a great valuable for me to attend because of how much there is to do. Everything on campus that you do you are always learning. The classes have helped me become someone who is hard working and knows what they want. It has givien me a lot of knowledge so far that I can take out to the realworld.

Kiley

I have found myself because of my college experience. When I started off as a freshman, I had professors who saw potential in me that I had not seen in myself. They encouraged me to take part in on-campus activities. I got involved right away, which led meet a lot of people and to attend leadership conferences. Through these activities, I found my passion for helping people. I learned from others through they stories and experiences that have made discrimination, injustice, and inequality personal issues for me. I advocate for the less fortunate and share my story with others, in hopes that their journeys will be impacted by my experiences as well.

Of every experience in my entire life, college has been undoubtedly the most rewarding of them all. With less than twenty years under my belt, some might say that doesn't mean much, but to me it means everything. In attending my university, not only have I picked up on life skills and social cues - skills that the world today is lacking in general - but I learned from the people around me and the course curriculum exactly who I can be if I'm willing to try. Most importantly, I've learned that success is not just a goal, but a process, and the more effort you put into what's critical to you, the more you'll get out of it. There's no doubt in my mind that my life has been changed for the better because of the time I've spent at university, and all I can do it pay it forward.

Ross

As a senior looking back on the last four years theire are so many experiences that have been valuable to me. The most valuable college experience I've had is the people I've met. More than ever I'm realizing that who you know can take you as far as what you know. At UNI it is easy to build close relationships with people that can last a lifetime. I have already asked friends that have already graduated with jobs to help me out in my job search; and theires not question I would do the same for my friends. The other college experience that is most important to me is the professors I've met in the last four years. Most of the professors in my classes were at one time or are are currently working in the fieldthey are teaching. The professors do such a great job of teaching more than the textbooks have to offer. Because of this I feel like I have real life experience before I ever even leave the classroom.

I have gotten many things out of my college experience. My freshman year at the University of Washington, I learned better time management, discipline, and study habits. Before my college experience, I would do my homework last minute, pull all nighters working on projects, and writing essays the night before they were due. In college I gave myself a timeline and learned to finish projects before they were due. In high school, I would put assignments off. I taught myself self discipline and learned to take at least an hour a day dedicated to strictly studying without interruptions. Learning how to discipline myself also connects to learning better study habits. By setting aside an hour a day for studying, it helped me with my study habits. It has been valuable to attend because I learned so much not only in the classroom, but about myself as well. I learned that I can capable of finishing projects on time and working hard.

Charquillis

Out of my college experience I've learned alot about college that I didn't know plus this isn't something you would want to miss out on. College is hard work and dedication it only takes you to be very focus to pass. It's also a plus if youv'e been or is currently enrolled in college, it better's you as a person and it makes you feel like youv'e really accomplished more than others. Getting out of high school I didn't have any priorities now I have one that I can't take chances with. Being in college as changed me alot as a person because everything is so serious and down to business. Attending college provides you with the knowledge and experience youre are unable to receive from a secondary education, and finding a way to fund a higher education now can pay off in a huge way in the years to come.

claribel

I have learned that college is vital in preparing us for out of school life. College shapes us to be structured, it prepares us for professional and personal testing/ and quizzes life throws at us. I have learned to organize my life accordingly and prioritize what is most important in that certain moment. College provides us with the opportunity to socialize with other people who are goal oriented and driven to success because most students that attend school understand that a higher education level is essential in this modern day living. We are surrounded in college by professors who have already overcame many obstacles’ and through their experience, they tutor and help guide us to achieve the same, if not more. So far, college has been a very positive and inspirational experience, because it has taught me to want more, more education, more knowledge, more understanding and most of all it has taught me to believe that doors and opportunities can be opened to reach my personal dream and desire of helping others. College is significantly valuable, because it provides us with unlimited knowledge; and knowledge is power.

Brienna

Attending UNI I have received an excellent education and tons of lifelong friends. UNI puts an emphasis on education, but at the same time wants the students to be able to interact with each other in clubs and other activities. This school has been valuable to attend because the staff really care about how their students are doing academically and socially. All the staff here are more than willing to go out of their way to make sure each and every student achieves at what they are trying to accomplish.

Sandra

Being that I registered five weeks late at Mesalands Community College to obtain my Associates Degree required by my job as an early headstart teacher, my experience at this college has been great. My professor let me come into the semester of classes and has helped me by letting me catch up with all of the past work that the classes have done. The college itself is a small college in which the majority of the students are majoring in Farrier Science or Wind Energy professions. It is good to be in a small college because the ratio of teacher to students is better and the classes are not over crowded. The student has a chance to learn the material better because of the smallness of classes and the attention of the professors and the material they are teaching. The professors here have the knowledge in the materials they are teaching and encourage the students to do well if not better in class.

Ana

One of the most important things I have gotten out of my college experience would have to be independence. Before college, I had my family & friends to remind me of tasks to do & subjects to study. I also had them to help me cook, clean, do laundry & get groceries. Now I have to balance my time & figure out when is best to do certain tasks. I have had to deal with things on my own & grow through new learning experiences. I found out its bad to put a red shirt in with the wrong colors and very bad to think you don't need to study for tomorrow's test; "Dumb and Dumber" is on TV! By attending college I have had to be responsible for my actions & understand life doesn't have redos. School takes effort and time and you can't breeze your way through it. My parents always taught me to be independent but college was the driving force. I am working for a better future for myself & hold it to the highest regard. If I can't take school seriously, then I can't take my future seriously. I wouldn't change it for the world.