University of Northern Iowa Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Northern Iowa

Brynn

The University of Northern Iowa is an exceptional school. The campus is beautiful. The food is top notch. The professors are knowledgeable and passionate about teaching. There are clubs and organizations for everyone. UNI welcomes every individual and makes college seem like home.

Madison

As I am only a freshman here at UNI, I love it so far! I have met so many people and the atmosphere is great! There is always something to do for everyone! The food is great and get unlimited meals! The dining dollars are also a plus! I love being able to do what I want, whenever I want. The teachers truly care about you and want you to succeed!

I really enjoy going to the University of Northern Iowa. I have always known that I want to go here. It is close to home, so I can keep my current job and go home if I really need to. It is close enough that I can live at home and save money that way. It is a really great school to go to.

Anna

If you are looking for reviews of your top college choices, you are going about it all wrong. Although the University of Northern Iowa has been a fine school with enjoyable people and learning opportunities, I refuse to rely on the professors and their classes, the quality of the cafeteria food, or even my compatibility with my roommate to make my four years at college the best of my life. Your college experience is not so much determined by the college itself as it is your attitude. You have to choose to make the most out of your college years. You have to choose to wake up every day and go to class even if you don't want to. You have to choose to put in the effort to get good grades, including talking to your professors if you don't understand something. You have to choose to step outside your comfort zone and try new things. It's your decision to get involved. It's your decision to reach out to unfamiliar people and get to know them. If you can't do these things, college is probably a waste of your time. No well-reviewed college will save your experience or your education. That choice belongs to you.

Sofia

The University of Northern Iowa is the perfect fit, both in campus size and student population--large enough to have a "big-school" feel, but small enough not be overwhelming. Professors are always available and want to see their students succeed. Student organizations for every interest. The only downside is the Cedar Falls wind.

The University of Northern Iowa is my home away from home. Everyone that I know loves attending UNI and that's visible every day. There are always things going on and always people to talk to if you put yourself out there. Academics are excellent and the extracurricular opportunities are numerous.

Danyel

It sounds cheesy but the University of Northern Iowa (UNI) is definitely an open and accepting campus overall. Every one wants you to succeed which motivates you to make yourself proud as well. You definitely get out what you put in. So, if you are not applying yourself, not going to classes, ignoring your responsibility as a student then why are you at college? Everyone at UNI is bettering themselves to make an impact on the world. I do not know about everyone here at UNI, but I for one am extremely proud to say this is where I chose to get an education.

Adara

I so far really like the University of Northern Iowa. No matter where you are from, UNI can feel like home. Campus is so accessible and easy to get around. There are so many different things for students to get involved in. For the most part, I have had good experiences with my teachers. Even the teachers that I have not found to be great at teaching are always there to talk and meet with.

Ridg

I like the university and the people. The facilities are usually very nice. Though old, they keep it as up-to-date as possible. The food is also super amazing. However, the winters suck: the campus is designed like a wind tunnel. Also, there is nothing to do outside of the University (the town is really dead). Everything exists on campus M-F as most students go home EVERY weekend (aka suitcase campus).

Mackenzie

The University of Northern Iowa is a very well respected school with many strong , growing programs. The size of the school is what many students call perfect - not too big, not too small. It has all the opportunities of a large school, but there are plenty of ways to get involved and find your place. The professors are very helpful and knowledgeable, and most are easy to get to know and build a professional relationship with.

Anna

The University of Northern Iowa is the perfect fit if your looking for a college that isn't too big or too small. There are tons of events going on all the time and chances are there is something for everyone to enjoy. UNI has the perfect balance of engagement and academics. The faculty is here is always available when you need help.

Bradley

I've been extremely homesick the first few weeks of college, but the people here are in the same spot as you and everyone is willing to help each other. Whether it be homesickness, or exam studying, literally everyone on campus will try to be as helpful as they can.

Jordyn

Truthfully? I love UNI. I love the Campanile clock tower, its bells tolling out songs courtesy of the Music department, and the various sculptures that can be found on the campus' grounds and beyond. I love the facilities offered to students, and the people within are extremely kind and helpful—the student health center and counseling services are absolutely to be looked in to if one is in need of help no matter the form. The professors are nice, and their classes—while difficult at times—are things I enjoy attending. I love my job in the museum inside the library, where I can be surrounded by history and even touch it with my own hands. There are so many clubs and organizations for one to join, and the ones I'm in are wonderful and offer so much in terms of educating and intriguing those outside of them. I love the room I have in my Hall, a place I can happily call my home away from home. Truthfully, I cannot speak highly enough of UNI, and I doubt I ever will be able to find the words to do so.

Kenedy

I love this school. It is the perfect size for me. The dorms are like regular dorms. They feel a little smaller than other college's dorms but it's okay. There are plenty of on campus options for living that get nicer and nicer as you go through school. Sophomore year up you get nicer options for living spaces if you want to live on campus. The teachers obviously care about their jobs. They do what they can to help people out and teach everyone for their classes well.

Alison

The University of Northern Iowa is a great place to study. The professors strive to know you, and they are very approachable. The size is just right. There is a large school atmosphere with a small school feel. The classes and study abroad options are endless, and they are made very affordable to students. UNI is the most affordable state school in Iowa which also makes it appealing.

Annie

It is a wonderful school. The professors care about you and want you to succeed. There are a lot of campus groups to get involved in as well. The overall feel of the campus is an encouraging, growing, and learning environment. The staff and students make the campus better by encouraging critical thinking and challenging each other.

Nathaniel

UNI is a great school. It is a medium sized school, but it feels like a small school. The campus is also very compact. Everything is with in a ten minute walk. The facilities are great and the professors will do anything to help you succeed. You can also go enjoy some NCAA Division I athletics.

Sidney

I love my college and I am so glad I made the discussion to come to UNI. Best decision I ever made and I would choose this college 50 times over if I had to. I would recommend this college to anyone. The whole overall atmosphere is amazing and everyone is so friendly and willing to help!

The University of Northern Iowa is great place to learn more about yourself and grow into a wonderful person. I have learned to be open to new ideas and how to deal with maturing. Everyone here is here to help. I have yet to have a bad professor.

Perfect size, location, and atmosphere. Cedar Falls is a great city to live in, there is a lot of restaurants and things to do off campus. On campus, there no shortage of activities to do as well. Camus size is perfect, everything is a short walk away. It is easy to get involved and make friends here. Would recommend!

Anna

The University of Northern Iowa is great for people who enjoy learning in small classes, rather than large ones. The campus is small and easy to navigate, so if you're anything like me, you won't get lost! The students who attend UNI are very nice and extremely helpful, the food is fantastic, and the information is well taught by well-educated professors! I look forward to attending UNI, as I believe that it's the best college to attend for a student who dreams of becoming a teacher.

Kayty

I love it here at UNI! The environment is very friendly. There is always someone to help you out, whether that be a friend, classmate, professor, or a stranger! The people are so welcoming! The academics are awesome! UNI is an amazing place to be! I highly recommend attending!

I like the University of Northern Iowa because of the size. The campus is easy to navigate- you can get anywhere in 15 minutes or less. Class sizes are generally small, other than a few gen ed lectures, and many of my classes are based in discussion, not just lecture. But at the same time, the size is large enough that there are many extracurricular opportunities, internships, etc. available. Best of all, it lets you be both anonymous and known based on your preference.

Monique

As a first-time visitor, the campus has scared me, it was big and sometimes you can get lost. However, the administrative office is full of students and receptionists who will always help you when you have problems. The telephone and e-mail service is also extremely reliable, they have been respectful to me when I asked questions regarding about enrollment. Still, it's better to go there a week before class starts if you need a hands-on guide to show where the buildings are and what classes/majors you're going to take for the semester. The atmosphere was also clean, there was no trash on the floor and it's smoke-free (no tobacco usage). The only downside is that there isn't enough benches or chairs outside to sit on when tired.

Whitnee

I love the University of Northern Iowa. I came from a very small school (my graduating class was 66) and I thought it would be hard to transition to a university, but it wasn't. Everyone here is so friendly and welcoming it felt like home the first night. I would highly recommend this school to anyone that wants to feel apart of a community because that's how it is here.

The University of Northern Iowa feels like a home away from home. If I am going to be completely honest at first I did not like it because I had never been away from family, but then I met some amazing people and the professors I talked to about my feelings really helped me transition. I am very happy that I chose the University of Northern Iowa.

Precious

It's a great school especially for International students. There are so many student orgs. here so you hardly not know anyone and in the dorms, something is always happening so it's never boring even though people say it's a small school but surely mighty!

Macie

I have been vistiting the UNI campus since grade school, and every time I go I feel at home. The campus is the perfect size and the class sizes are similar to that of my high school. There is so much to do and see in and around the campus, so anyone who may go there will never be bored! Apartments are clean and affordable, especially when you consider the fact that it's around one of the top three best known colleges in Iowa. I can't wait to attend college there and I hope to one day call myself a proud panther!

Tyler

The school is open and friendly to all. there are a handful of international students but a lot come from Iowa. The class size varies based on intro or higher level, the largest I have ever had was around 250 and it was psych 101.

Katelyn

I love UNI! Their education program is hard to beat! The food is good and the students and faculty always have a smile and are ready to help. As a freshmen I was nervous but the people at UNI help transition me from small town Iowa to a university. I will forever be thankful for that!

It is a very nice campus with exceptional diverse people. Northern Iowa has a great academic program and the professors are very helpful whenever you may have a problem or question with the material given. Along with this the students are friendly and outgoing.

Mary

I think that UNI is an amazing university. The professors will go out of their way to make sure you are doing okay in their classes and if you need help the will help you. The food we have here is amazing it's very hard to get tired of it. there are so many opportunities on campus. If you are thinking about applying here you defiantly should.

Monica

I love UNI! It's a lot of fun and the people are really nice. The campus is just the right size not too big not too small. The faculty members are really nice and are available a lot of the time. Most professors are flexible with meeting times. In general its a really nice place.

It is a nice school to go to. It is definitely a suitcase college, but there are quite a bit of activities to get involved with on campus. The class sizes are generally small, and there are plenty of options of different classes to take. The dining centers are absolutely amazing.

Tia

The University is a great example of a small public school and does its best to maintain a good and safe atmosphere for students, while also allowing students to have fun and get engaged in what they want to do. There's plenty going on all the time.

I love this school. All the benefits of a large school in a medium sized campus. Close walk to anywhere on and off campus. Really feels like a community/family. I am proud to call UNI my home.

Varina

It a nice small school with lot of diversity on campus, and lot of events going on everyday. Students are nice and helpful. Professors are always open to questions. Overall, it will be a wonderful experience for students. They wouldn't regret spending their college life at UNI.

Aaron

It is a great campus with lots of learning and great conversations. People and professors are really nice ! Lots of activities to be involved in, and events going on! You can never be bored! Great dinning facilities with one of the top rated cafeterias In the Midwest!

Clare

My overall opinion of University of Northern Iowa is that it is a great school. All around students are very welcoming and the feeling of being on campus is irreplaceable to me. I absolutely love going to school here and could not have picked a better school to fit my personality. The class sizes are perfect and the professors are always ready to help their students in any way they can.

Tracy

I love UNI! As a directionally-challenged freshman coming from a small town, I found UNI to be the perfect size for me: as the smallest of the state schools in Iowa, so it was still large enough for me to stretch my wings at, yet small enough that I felt comfortable getting lost. The professors all genuinely care about their students. This was especially evident when I was searching for a recommendation letter for an internship and ran into the problem of having too many good and willing options from my faculty! We have just about any extra-curricular activity a student could ask for, and if there's a club that we don't have yet, the college is more than willing to support it! I highly recommend the University of Northern Iowa to everyone and their mothers, because this college isn't just for fresh-out-of-high-school students; they are attractive and available to any aged person seeking a higher education.

Nhi

UNI is a great university, it’s a perfect place for me it’s not too small and not too big. I love the people, staff and the environment. Everyone is always very nice and friendly, the staff want you to be successful so they’ll do everything they can to help you. I don’t feel like just a number to them. Overall I love the university.

William

I did not feel at all that it was a match for me. A lot of the people there were wonderful but it otherwise felt very foreign. Several of the professors seemed flaky, distant, or pretentious. For some it seemed hard for me to ask for help and for others I felt unsure they could give sufficient answers.

Summer

I find University of Northern Iowa a very safe and great school. There are always extracurricular activities happening everything, and there are even plenty of on campus job opportunities! The jobs on campus really work hard on helping you with you schedule and they also pay a great amount. University of Northern Iowa does a great job with working with you with academics, financial needs, and along with health needs!

Hollie

This school has my heart! There is always an opportunity to get involved, and there is always an abundance of support for whoever needs it. The people here genuinely care about the success of students. There are tons of fun things to do and there is always an ability to learn from someone else. I feel valued and important here.

UNI is a 4-year state college with a small town feel. Campus is a manageable walk from end to end and the student body is small enough that you start to recognize the people you walk past on a day-to-day basis. There are lots of ways to get involved on campus and some great local cuisine downtown.

Greta

I love the people and the atmosphere but it's not without its issues. A lot of the dorms have issues with sexual assault but I have never had an issue personally. Since I have been here (about 6 months) there have been 5 incidents of rape/sexual assault that have been reported to the UNIPD. Overall people are extremely nice and the classes are good. Some professors are harder than others but overall it's good.

Carlene

I love my school. I am extremely happy that I chose to go to UNI. There is not any other place that I would have chosen to go that would have met every part of my criteria. That all being said, of course there are things I would like to change, but not more than any other school I have gone to. I have been very comfortable having intellectual conversations with both students and staff and have never felt that I had opinions that weren’t bad being heard. I love that UNI is a small and large college because it has such a unique feel. The expenses of course are a little more than ideal, but with the growing rates of every school every year, I believe that UNI is extremely affordable and is giving out the education and experience that goes along with the price tag.

Sabrina

Overall, I have loved my experience at UNI. No matter where you go on campus, there is always someone who can answer whatever question you have or can direct you toward someone else who can. There are countless amounts of clubs and organizations that you can join, and UNI gives you the tools and guidelines to create new clubs. The class sizes are smaller compared to the bigger public universities in Iowa, so this gives you the chance to make more connections with your professor and gives you the chance to interact in the classroom and give your own opinions and answers. The professors all care about your education and want to help. It has been a great experience, and I will always encourage people to attend UNI.

Makayla

The University of Northern Iowa is a quality college to attend. It is more affordable than other universities in the state of Iowa and has great academics. I would highly recommend this college to any high school graduate due to the variety of opportunities found on this campus.

Annastasia

UNI is a great transition school, especially for students coming from a smaller high school or looking to transfer somewhere not as overwhelming. The party culture is pretty tame, there are occasional bouts of extra partying around homecoming or other such special events, but overall the campus is very clean and safe. I feel safe walking by myself at night, and the small size makes it so much easier to make friends and recognize faces. professors are very good about getting to know you individually, especially if you put effort into knowing them. The only bad part is the fact that it's so small, that its often just a stepping stone school. A lot of science students are just here to finish LAC's and then move on to bigger, more qualified colleges.