Norman, OK
University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus

Parker

OU is a very large campus but it is very doable and after you get your bearings it isn't hard to get around. The campus is set up to be self-contained and if you didn't want to leave campus you wouldn't have too. I was in the family student housing apartments, which were great and I would recommend them to folks with families or graduate students. It is quiet and very friendly. Easy walk to campus and no parking permit is needed. I spent most of my time in my Department because as a graduate student that is the requirement and expectation. My Department has nice funding packages and most grad students get some sort of funding - some get better packages than others. The faculty plays favorites to those who they "deem" as worthy of their time and attention, and there are three or four faculty members I would stay entirely away from because of their attitudes. There are several cases of students leaving the program for another program because of these specific individuals. If you do not cross them or are their favorites, the student is good to go, however, if you happen to not be in the chosen pack of favorites, these faculty will attempt to drive you out of the department on various charges or events.

There are many different types of students at OU. Grad students have a different role to play at the university level and there were many Grad students I met that I liked and some I wouldn't ever want to see again. Some have very high opinions of their learning abilities and have no problems spreading the gossip about people without knowing the truth. Typical grad student behavior to try to be noticed by faculty.

I would tell anyone who wanted to go to OU to really think about the Department as a whole and make sure everything is really as it seems on the surface. I wouldn't recommend the Department for specific reasons. The rest of the school seems to be an awesome experience but it is all subjective to each individual.

Football is the bloodlife of the place and it does play an important role to the OU identity. However, that doesn't mean one has to go to an OU game to be a student there. I didn't attend one OU football event while there and could care less about football. The student population seems to divide among those who love football and those who do not. There is a place for everyone.

Graduate students have a different life than undergraduates so we are expected to interact with professors and faculty in class and various events. There are social mixers between grad students and faculty and it is one of things where one is expected to attend, mix socially, and play well in the department sandbox. I know for a fact that at departmental brown bag events, a silent head-count is taken by staff and this is noted. I studied all the time because that is my job - to learn this stuff. I disliked one of the theory required classes because the professor was totally out-of-control and into their own personal power games over grad students. I would never take another class with this faculty member. There are a few other staff members that I would avoid also but will not list them here. Reading, writing, and presentations are part of a grad students activities and OU requires their grad students to participate in academic activities. Learning is geared at this level, to become an academic and research is the name of the game. If you prefer classroom time and teaching, you will get the opportunity to do so, however, research is your primary goal.

My social life did not center around OU

Football is life and everyone knows or cares about the Texas-OU rivalry. Greek life is a major part of the university system.

Dianna

OU is a large college with many different disciplines to choose from. You must be dedicated and utilize your first two years as an exploration process to review what you want to do. If I could change anything, it would be to require that Freshman and Sophomore students take only the general education classes instead of skipping around within different disciplines. Soak up the lessons learned for the first two years and then decide your career path. OU's administration are human and they can make mistakes, but as a college student, you must be willing to accept some responsibility for your education. Do not expect them to walk you through every process and take some initiative in researching possible careers and the degree plans that go along with them.

OU is a diverse campus. One of the norms is diversity, but there are many organizations and activities that allow you the freedom to interact with other cultures. Soak it all up and do not limit yourself to just your culture and norms. Immerse yourself in various cultures and you will find that there are people that are different on the outside, but who have the same thoughts, ideas, goals and objectives that you have. Tradition is very important to some, but change is good and it will make you a more well rounded person.

OU was a great experience for me. It opened my eyes to many things concerning the world today. It is active and very recognizable to most people. Today, when asked what college I graduated from.........I proudly (not to boastfully) say.....OU!

Definitely not. The expense is comparable to other universities and actually are lower than some of the other universities; the admissions process and the classes are comparable to other colleges and most of the processes are online so it makes it much easier.

Some of the typical stereotypes are the following: it is to expensive to attend OU; the admissions process is extremely strict and average students need not apply; and the classes are harder.

Academics are excellent! My first piece of advice is to get to know your teachers. They are human and they want you to succeed. Go into the process with a good attitude and establish relationships (working) with your disciplines administration, professors and classmates. Do not expect to be friends with everyone, but choose them based on your strengths and weakness (e.g. your weaknesses are their strengths) so that you will not be so overwhelmed. The main goal is to have a career after your years at OU and your professors, classmates and administration all strive toward that goal. The students are competitive (just as in the real world) so, utilize your experiences as a learning process and try not to repeat the same mistakes to many times!

I did not have the opportunity to participate in many of the groups/organizations. I am a non-traditional student, but there is always something going on at OU. It has a large selection of activities (both academic and recreational). The fraternities/sororities seem to be the most influential organizations and many students (especially the Freshman and Sophomore) seem to enjoy being a part of something that can ease some of the......apprehension.

OU is a fairly large school. I must admit I was not prepared for 300 person lecture sections! However, the University a lot of support for its students. There are math labs, chemistry labs, office hours for TA's and professors, the foreign language labs, and the writing lab which are a good place to get free help. OU seems to be making the transition to an all walking campus, there isn't much parking for commuter students.

There are lots of different organizations on campus! I did not join a sorority or fraternity on campus, but there are still many organizations to join. The majority of campus is white but you'll find people of SES's, races, religions, and cultures.

I can't say that I have really heard stereotypes about OU and OU students except in referrence to rivalries with Texas and OSU.

My lower division classes were large and the professors were usually grad students. However, the upper division classes were smaller and you had more interraction with the professors. I really enjoyed taking Native American Studies classes and Kiowa classes. It is very hard to find a university that has such an emphasis on Native cultures!

Traci

Our school is not too big at all. Yes, some classes have 400 students, but other classes have 20. You can chose what classes are best for you. The professors are always helpful, and very knowledgeable. Norman is definitely a college town, but if you want good food or fun entertainment, OKC is only 20 minutes away. Fraternity parties are a blast. Football games are indescribable. This school has so much school pride that it makes you so proud to be a part of it.

I can honestly say that OU had the nicest people on campus out of all of the colleges I visited. This is one of the main reasons I chose OU. Everyone was so friendly that I couldn't believe it. It is somewhat of a diverse university, as we have many study abroad students and out of state students.

The only thing that sucks is that OU's campus went "dry" a couple years ago. But don't worry, it doesn't stop many kids from partying. :)

Yes and no. Many people "go greek" because it's a great way to meet people. But since everyone lives in the dorms their freshman year, it's not hard to get to know new people.

OU is challenging, but not impossible. It depends on your major and who your professor is. Definitely take any internships that are offered by a company or professor.

The social life at OU is great. Freshman year, all of the freshman eat in the same cafeteria, so you get to know everyone very quickly. The dorms are coed (major plus) and there are lots of social activities within your dorm. I met tons of people freshman year and can honestly say it was my best year of college.

Everyone goes into a fraternity or sorority.

Nick

When people ask where I attend college, many of them are shocked to know that I attend OU. OU is a premeir school in the nation in scholastics and athletics and there is a great amount of school pride. People tend to be shocked because many of my peers attended junior college or when to a small college. But the few of us that when to OU, we always tend to get the biggest praise from our community then some other students.

these are not accurate by any means. everyone is treated the same and nobody cares what grade or what class year you are a part of.

some stereotypes that are formed about OU students tend to include unfriendliness towards the lower classes or the rich kids rule the school.

Marie

If you are handicap and in a wheelchair or walker I do not suggest you going here. The handicap accessibility is horrible. My borther is in a wheelchair and it is hard for him to get around and I worry about his safety every day he goes on campus. The Disability Resource Center are not very big or very nice at all. If President Boren would recognize these issues then being a disability student would be a lot more pleasurable.

Most OU students are from Texas, if not from Oklahoma.

I haven't heard of any stereotypes.

Most people who I heard about that lived in the dorms said they felt like their floor was their family. My floor at Walker 10 didn't seem that way to me because we rarely left our doors open or interacted with each other.

My favorite class would have been Organic Chemistry with Professor Shakya. He was a great professor and tried his best to be there for his students and make sure that they understood him. He I went to his office hours a couple of times and he was very helpful and made sure I knew the material before I left.

Bevan

It's a beautiful college. There are a lot of activities and plenty of good lectures. I would like to see more but I think we have a wide variety of people who visit. I like the diversity of people and that we have so many exchange students and opportunities. I usually hangout on campus corner on a patio somewhere.

There is a large variety of people. Many exchange students. Sometimes they can seem a bit cliquish but I don't really see that as a problem. Everyone is pretty open to get to know each other although this may be more typical of the art school.

I grew up here and spent lots of time on campus. But I can honestly say that I still think it's a great place to hangout and go to school. Even when you don't have to be at school students are still on campus. That tells you something about the comfort and quality of the campus.

Class sizes depend. If you are taking a gen ed course then chances are that you will be packed in with a lot of people in an auditorium somewhere. But oddly enough the profs. still seem to keep in touch with the students. They may not remember your name exactly but they know who you are and perhaps your work. Once out of gen ed courses class sizes are very reasonable and you have plenty of personal time with the prof. if needed.

We all are obsessed with football.

There are lots of activities organizations. Too many to mention. They have several dinners and festival-like parties where everyone is invited to dinner and to mingle. It's a lot of fun!

Stacy

OU is a place where you can be as involved as you want. There is a lot of tradition in the school, you just have to open your eyes. The campus is always changing. They're always building better facilities and updating their technology. The size is okay but be prepared to drive or ride the bus to some parts especially the Research Campus where the National Weather Center is. Also learn to be patient when searching for parking. There are about 14,000 or so other students that on any given day, are searching for the same parking spot you are. No really, it's not that bad, but you'll learn to be patient and to put on your blinker when you find a spot.

Just learn to deal with stereotypical sorority girls. Not all of them are obnoxious blondes who gets everything from daddy, but a lot are and you'll learn to ignore. There is a lot of religious tolerance but there are a few umm...devoute baptists that will try to talk to you and you just have to politely stand your ground. Know your stuff about your own religion or Christian denomination and they're usually left silent.

OU is a great school to attend. There's a little bit of everything and you'll end up calling it home.

Every college has the stereotypes above. Do we have stuck up people? Yes. Do we have people that are fanatics about football? Oh yeah. Should this concern anyone about going to OU? No. Learning to deal with all types of people is what the college experience is about.

When you first come to OU, take a few classes that sound interesting and fun. If you're into one of those hardcore majors such as Music Education and they tell you to focus only on your music classes...don't! Learn what you like or you may end up a junior without any gen eds and wanting to switch majors which will put you back 3 years. Experience life and fun first. You will have the rest of you college career to be serious. Another MAJOR point: Since you're taking classes you enjoy your first year, ace them. The way gpa is done in college is weird and flunking classes your first few years can sink you even if you make all As your senior year.

There are tons of social, academic, honor, and service fraternities/sororities if you want to go for that life. There are dues, so remember that. Lots of people hang out at campus corner or at O'Connells Irish Pub to drink. There isn't too much to do after midnight so everyone cruises Walmart, goes to bars, or heads to Brick Town in OKC to go clubbing. Sometimes they show new movies at the Meacham Auditorium in the Union and they have past midnight showings. On the weekends, if it's the fall...prepare for football fever. Tons of events to go to when it's football season. In the spring, you're just counting down till spring break or when school's out.

That we're stuck up and all we care about is football. This mainly comes from the OSU campus.

Stacy

OU seems to really embrace its prestige as having top quality professors that are not only incredible instructors, but also commonly accessable on a regular basis to help with both advancing your area or major, but also those who really want to give you the best education for your money. The campus is large enough to allow for diversity, but not so large that you're lost in a sea of 300 people in one class. Once again, you get the best of both worlds: top notch education on a personal and individual basis.

I've had limited interaction with organizations outside of the SAC and PAT; but people and clubs I have seen advertised seem quite active and always willing to accept new member. There have been countless activies sponsored by these programs, it seemed like there was always something to do and the clubs were always trying to help OU in anyway they could.

Not so much, while there are a lot of people from Texas (and all over the world for that matter), there is still a sense of total acceptance and a level of comfort that can often be difficult to find on a larger campus.

Most professors invite you to ask questions and learn as much as possible during your time at OU. Their enrollment system is excellent, classes and professors are easy to fine and learn more about. Rarely did a professor turn me down to enroll in a class that was already full. The academic requires may seem rigorous at first, but speaking personally as a post graduate, they are absolutely the requirements you need to remain competivitive with other colleges and post-grads.

That there is an aire of superiority and that it is really a school for wealthier people from the Dallas/Ft. Worth area

Without a doubt, sports and football are at the fore of peoples' minds at OU. The atmosphere at a game is unmatched to any other, the sense of commarodary is limitless. Campus Corner is a close and has a lot to offer.

University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.