Norman, OK
University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus

Laura

I love OU and I love Norman. It's a very fun town with enough stuff to do. Game days are incredible, people start setting up tents on Wednesday and on Saturday it is packed. There are people and parties and booths everywhere. It is a big school, but once you find your niche you don't notice. I prefer the big school. There are always new people to meet and if you want to avoid someone it's possible. Football games are a blast. You're surrounded by strangers, but you have one thing in common and you'll find yourself high-fiving and hugging them. There is a huge level of excitement and unity. The union is pretty nice with a variety of food places. Internet is accessible everywhere. The dorms are a ton of fun freshmen year. There's a real sense of community.

OU is very diverse with lots of different kinds of people. Everyone is able to find a place. Most people are from Oklahoma and Texas, but there are others from a variety of other places. I have made friends with several people from Nigeria for example.

The dry campus thing hasn't really affected me. The end of big frat parties it all that really came of the dry campus. I have had an incredible experience at OU and don't particularly want to graduate.

I have had an excellent experience with academics in the engineering department. All of the professors really care and are always willing to help if you ask. I could ask any one of them for a recommendation. Engineering has a mentoring program that is excellent. It's comprised of upperclassmen so they really know what you have been through and are a huge help. I have not had such a good experience with Gen Ed classes. Particularly in the Chemistry department. The classes are huge and the teachers don't seem to care as much. Most of the TA's don't speak English and are not particularly helpful.

There are tons and tons of clubs. Every major pretty much has a club which is a good way to meet people that have the same classes as you so you can study together. There are lots of prestigious speakers that come I've seen Bill Clinton and Al Gore; George Bush Senior came and there have been a variety of others. There are free movies at the Union pretty frequently (recent movies). Greek life is very big at OU, but there are things to do if you aren't Greek as well. Sporting events are huge, especially football. Basketball is also big. All other sporting events are free to students. I went to a Mens gymnastics tournament; it was really fun. There are lots of parties. If you are 21 Campus Corner is a blast with a lot of bars. If you don't drink there's also stuff to do. There are a lot of bible study groups and that kind of thing. Partying and social stuff isn't just on the weekends. I study a lot, but I party a lot too.

I love the size of OU because I am really excited to meet a lot of new people. I'm very excited about going through recruitment and possibly joining a sorority because I have heard that there are several very good houses. I love the atmosphere of OU and Norman. The people are mostly friendly and helpful and the town is good-sized, adorable, yet has plenty to do. I also love the spirit of the OU football fans! I can't wait to go to the games! I hope the professors are just as helpful and caring.

The friendly thing, yes! As far as the greek system, you could never know until you go and have your own experience!

I knew that I would probably be attending an in-state university, probably between OU and OSU. I mostly chose OU because of its reputation for better academics and all of the awards and honors OU has received. Professors are usually available outside of class. The Gaylord College of Mass Communications is an immaculate and amazing building and the professors have lots of experience and knowledge. OU is definitely a competitive place! From athletics, to academics and even the greek system!

its greek or geek. However, they are very friendly and helpful.

Madeline

OU's a huge school, and Norman revolves around the students. Campus corner is cool, and getting cooler because of all the investment of various business recently. David L. Boren (the president) is the shit, he's done sooo much for the university, everyone loves him on campus. We affectionately refer to him as "the DLB". There is a TON of school pride, especially on football Saturdays.

Because the student body is so large, you can find serious students and you can find slackers. OU's full ride to national merit scholars ensures that you can find an intelligent crowd, if that's your thing. The most unique class I ever took was African drumming- it was so much fun!!

snobbier than OSU students, smarter than OSU students, crazy about football

Cody

Norman is definitely an OU town in every sense of the word. OU is the center of Norman life, but there are plenty of resources outside of the campus. There's enough in Norman that you never need to leave if you don't want to do so. There is a lot of school pride in Norman, particularly as most students are lifelong Oklahomans who take a great deal of pride in the University as a representative of the state.

I'm not impressed with the OU student body. The top 5% of students there could compete anywhere, from Yale to Sam Houston State. But the students who are outside of the top quarter or so of the student body are worse than useless for most purposes. The thing that makes OU the best university in Oklahoma is the presence of an elite upper crust: at other Oklahoma schools, it's just not there. Most OU students are pretty conservative, although I don't think there's anyone who would be completely out of place at OU. I never saw much active discrimination against liberals, gays, atheists, etc., although I could definitely imagine better places than Norman, Oklahoma for someone living an unconventional lifestyle. Norman itself is reasonably tolerant, but it is in Oklahoma, so it is what it is. As a lifelong Oklahoman, I can tell you that Norman is the most educated and tolerant community in the state, but if I were gay, I'd probably want to live somewhere else. That said - if you're gay and wanting to come to OU for some other reason, you'll be fine for school here.

OU's fine for what it is. It's a decent state school, and if you want to work in Oklahoma, you could do a lot worse than an OU education. It's definitely the most respected school in the state and the alumni network will help out if you seek them out. The degree doesn't carry very well nationally, and you may have trouble if your ambitions require a prestigious undergrad. I'm headed to UCLA Law and my undergrad certainly wasn't a hindrance there, although it probably was when I was looking at PhD programs. Ultimately, if you get into a top 20 type school and don't have to go 100K into debt to go there, then you really need to go. If you don't, then OU becomes a legitimate option. I could have certainly gotten into a top ten school, and regret not doing so. I think this sums up the OU experience quite nicely: it's an OK school, and most people like going there, but it's not going to persuade the best of the best that it was a good alternative to the Ivy League and comparable schools. By contrast, elite state schools like Berkeley, UVA, and Michigan offer much of the same experience as Ivies and include the great things about the state school experience. If I had to do it over again, I would have either went to Berkeley or Wisconsin.

Look - I love Oklahoma and OU. But it's just not a top flight university. Most of the students at OU don't really belong at a top university. This is a problem that many state schools have: they have to serve the public, which inevitably leads to somewhat less stringent admissions standards. The difference is that there's a huge intellectual community at places like Berkeley, UCLA, UW-Madison, and Michigan, while this community is very small at OU. In any given class, there are maybe three people who can understand the reading and go beyond it. I only applied to OU, since it was completely free as a National Merit Scholar. I'm glad I went to OU in some ways, but I also feel that it was something of a waste, and if you've got the chance to go to a better school without crushing yourself in debt, you should probably do it.

The social life at OU is pretty open. It has been said that athletics and Greek life are the center of the social life, and there's a lot of truth in that. However, it's my general belief that any large university can offer whatever social scene you're looking for. OU's no exception to that - I lived in the honors dorms and hung out with anime nerds, wannabe jocks, Mormons.......you name it, it's there. It isn't diverse the way Greenwich Village is diverse, but if you can't find anyone in Norman or at OU to hang out with, you're not trying hard enough. If you want to meet people, live in the dorms and be active there: I never knew anyone who wanted an active social life and couldn't find it in housing. We've got great food and great folks, so check it out!

OU is the perfect size for a big university. The campus looks huge at first, but after walking it, it seems smaller than it appears. We're known for our athletics so football season is always the best time of year at OU. The trip to Dallas for OU v Texas is a must! We even get the Friday before the game off of school for it! Campus corner has bars, shopping, restaurants, and cafes right across the street from campus. Definitely a college town, but close to Oklahoma City if you want a bigger city to visit. We take a lot of pride in our school and we'll be sure every Texas fan knows we're the best!

Most students are from Oklahoma City or the Dallas area. About half the Freshman student body goes Greek. There are lots of houses and a variety of Greek students. Individual houses have a stereotype, but the I don't believe the Greek system as a whole does. There's always of variety of classroom styles. From sweatpants to dresses. People wear whatever.

Smarter - yes. Wealthier - to an extent.

The Engineering department is great. The courses were rigorous and I was always challenged on my path to excellence. Every year the College of Engineering has Engineering Week were we have activities throughout the week, ending with a Fluid Dynamics Lab at one of the local bars. It's great time to have a beer with your fellow students and professors. The career services at OU is great. I got my job by having my resume posted on the schools website!

When compared with OSU - it's seen as having wealthier and smarter students.

Greeks are fairly big at OU, but it's not all about being Greek. Football season is the best time of year. People start setting up on Wednesday for the Saturday game! Campus Corner is a great place to socialize - especially on Thursday nights or Saturday game days. Oklahoma City is only about 25 minutes up the road and has a great area called Bricktown. A huge movie theater with balcony seating is just up the road in Moore. And if you're pinching your pennies, Tuesdays are 50 cent movies at the local theater!

Chris

It's a beautiful campus, located 20 minutes from Oklahoma City. Good size of student body. Pretty much a college town, everything revolves around it. Norman take great pride in OU. Great football program!

It's a good mixture of wealthy students, and students that are here on scholarship. Most students take school pretty seriously. It's not a party school, but there are plenty of parties there.

There are plenty of groups to become involved in, as long as you're open to trying them out. Frats and sororities have their place, but it's not required to be in one of them. The dorms are great for freshman, as they help a lot with social interactions.

The general freshman classes tend to be rather large, but by the time you get situated in your major, the numbers drop significantly (20-30 ppl in a class). Some professors are difficult to understand, but generally they are extremely intelligent and love their fields.

Kristin

Coming from Texas and from a family of longhorns (UT), I compare OU frequently to UT. I prefer it because athough it is a Big XII school, like UT, it has a much more cozy, intimate feeling. The school's in a small town, the number of students is actulaly much smaller than at UT and it's less overwhelming for a young adult going away from home for the first time. My impression (and I have several friends at UT) is that it's easier to find your niche and not become a #.

I truly think there is a niche for everyone at OU. I am involved in a sorority (greek life) but have several friends that aren't greek. I'm familiar with the phrase "buying your friends" and the stereotype of sorority and fraternity members being "rich, spoiled, etc." Perhaps contradictory to what people think, the majority of the greek people I know, have jobs to pay for different aspects of their life (be it school, fraternity, etc.). Most OU students are from Oklahoma, though I have to say Texans are not far behind. Especially dallas area Texans. People come from all different financial backgrounds. I am friends with people whose parents give them everything and those who have to pay for college, social life and everything themselves. There is no discrimination between them. Like most college campuses, there are ample liberal mindsets. I happen to be pretty conservative, however, and feel no pressure or discomfort in being such.

I don't think so. Although, I will say, in terms of social life and campus, OU is more urban while OSU seems more small town-esque.

Classes range in size from 20 to 200. I like them both for different reasons. In the smaller classes you know the other students, the teacher and you get more of a chance to interact with the teacher. For me this is beneficial because I'm a hands-on learner. I do like the large classes though, too! It's nice to not have to participate, simply go to class, get the lecture notes and be done. This isn't to say that getting to know teachers of big classes is impossible. Quite the opposite. In big classes you just have to go to office hours and the teachers are 95% of the time more than happy to see you, get to know you and help you.

In comparison to OSU (Oklahoma State University), OU is evidently known as the richer school with more hoity-toity students. I'm from Texas so I was never really privy to the OU student stereotypes priod to coming to OU. This, however, is one that I've heard.

OU has a very strong Greek system and getting involved in that is probably the easiest way to meet people. I met my closest friends at OU through my sorority. The dating scene is pretty good. I will say that I feel like there are predominantly 2 categories of people (in respect to the dating scene): (1) single or (2) dating and going to get married. Maybe this is just from a girl's perspective, but it's kind of exhausting. People party frequently. I generally only go out Thursday through Saturday. Only 2 of those nights, max. There's always a group of people going out and doing something, you just have to be assertive and make the initiative to make friends with new people if you want to have a social life.

Mike

OU is a wonderful all around school. We excel in academics, athletics and have a great greek system. In addition to this OU students have a strong sense of pride in their school which is evident at football games, school sponsored events and so forth. We are lucky to have David Boren as president as OU has taken tremendous steps in the past ten years in establishing itself as a premier university

OU's student body is amazing. From the greek organizations, to the major specific clubs, to the LGBTF groups OU has something for everyone

Is it arrogance if we know we're better?

Arrogant compared with other state schools.

Although I have experienced large classes, once I got into my more major specific classes it became much smaller and more intimate. Although I do not know exact statistics I can say that OU excels in many academic areas and I believe has the most national merit scholars at any public university

Travis

The best thing about OU, for me, is the sheer number of great people that I've met in my time here. I have never felt so close to so many people, and I hope to maintain these relationships throughout my life. The only thing that I really can think of changing at OU is the parking, and Lindsey Street traffic/stoplights. Obviously these are minor issues, but they can become quite annoying. Apart from class, most of my time on campus is spent in the Union. I wouldn't want OU to be any other way as far as size. Probably the biggest recent controversy on campus was the guy who was passing around the crazy fliers on campus. Some say it's free speech, and others say he was definitely infringing on the rights of others. OU's school pride is famous. Boomer Sooner! OU doesn't really have a dead week. I'd say that's pretty unusual. I will remember every single football game that I attended at the University of Oklahoma. There's nothing like them. In short, I guess I think OU is pretty awesome. Can't think of myself being much more happy than this.

Most students at OU are from Oklahoma, but a good many also come from Texas. I've met a few from California and Arkansas, and my roomate is from Minnesota, so I guess that there really is a lot of diversity here. Come to think of it, I've met a LOT of people from out of state. I've even met a few from out of the country.

I was told to fill this out by the President of my fraternity, Delta Chi.

Being in a fraternity myself, and having joined after completing my freshman year here at OU, I believe that OU is, indeed, very "Greek." I came to OU with the same stereotypes that everyone else did about fraternities, thinking of those involved with them as having bought their friends, but after giving Greek life a try, I discovered that this stereotype is completely inaccurate, and it is somewhat amazing that it persists despite being repeatedly disputed. Here at OU, fraternities and sororities participate in virtually every community service project that is offered in the area, and on top of that, many Greek organizations go out of their way to create their own opportunities to serve the community and their common campus.

I think that students study a lot more than professors give them credit for. The academics here are wonderful, and I consistently feel challenged. I compete with myself and classmates, and usually come out doing well in my classes. I think most people here want an education, and OU offers a good one. If people aren't here to learn and discuss with other like-minded individuals, then they don't need to be here in the first place. Fortunately, I believe that many of the students here are very education-oriented people, and generally work to get the job done.

One of the biggest stereotypes about OU is that it is a very Greek university, and that much of the student lifestyle on campus is centered around being involved in a fraternity or sorority. Many of the students then, are seen by some as fitting the stereotypical fraternity or sorority image, which involves being stuck up, rich, etc.

Greek Life is the way to go. I love being in a fraternity. Football games are amazing, etc. OU has, from what I hear, one of the best social lives on a campus available. I wouldn't know otherwise, but I know that there is always something going on.

University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.