Norman, OK
University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus

Mark

While the greek system is a big part of campus life, there are plenty of opportunities besides the greek system. And though I see students rolling by in BMWs and Range Rovers every day, those student are few and far between!

The biggest stereotype is that OU revolves around the greek system and that OU is full of a bunch of spoiled rich kids.

Royce

Being a kid that grew up breathing crimson and cream, going to OU was all about sports. Sure academics are great and all, but I knew I could get the same pretty much everywhere else. I have loved sports my entire life and no university on the planet can give you the total college sports package like OU. Saturday's in the fall might as well just be a state holiday. Over 100,000 people flood Norman and everywhere you look you see crimson and cream. Fans pack the stadium to see the most successful modern era football team compete. And for four hours, you're part of that. You're part of what happens on the field - living and dying with every single play. Football at OU isn't just about what takes place between the lines. It's so much more than that. It's what you talk about when you go to class Monday. It's why you wear that interlocking OU shirt so proudly. You'd never really find yourself in South Dakota and someone says to you, "Hey, I see you go to OU. How about that journalism school?" No way. It's all about football and school pride. I'd argue with anyone that no one takes more pride in its football and athletics as a whole as OU students. When you're part of this university, you're part of the team. And that's what makes it so great.

Absolutely, 100% inaccurate. Sports power a lot of what goes on at OU and the football program alone generates a ton of money for the university. One thing people don't realize is that OU is one of three universities that have self-sustaining athletic programs. So before you complain about Bob Stoops getting six million dollars a year but your desk is broken in a classroom, remember that NO money is taken from academics and given to the athletic department. If fact, last year the athletic department donated seven million dollars to help fund an addition to the OU library. So a huge misconception about OU is that football comes before academics and football sucks money from the school. Which is completely untrue. It's actually quite the opposite. NO, ZERO, ZILCH money is taken from scholarships, academic funds or anything else and given to the athletic department. The athletic department generated over 70 million dollars last year and did it ALL ON ITS OWN. The academic aspect of OU and the athletic department are two totally separate entities.

That OU is strictly all about sports and that money that could be used for academics and scholarships is instead given to the football program.

Laura

One of the best things about OU is the opportunity given to every student to be active in their student community. I loved being involved on campus and also in my sorority. It was a large student body, but also tight-knit at the same time. I came knowing a few people and left with tons of friends and acquaintances. I would change the stoplights on Lindsay street (they are annoying). The school was the perfect size. OU has a great reputation, unless you are talking to someone who goes to OSU. When I was on campus, I practically lived in the Gaylord School of Journalism and Mass Communications. Norman is totally a college town. The administration is great at OU. There is a lot of school pride, especially during football season. I will never forget my experiences as a student ambassador- especially at the opening of the National Weather Center (I took around the head anchor and VP of The Weather Channel). Dorms are usually a complaint, but they have gotten better.

Everyone can find their niche at OU. Most students are from Oklahoma and Texas, but there are definite exceptions. Different types of students interact.

While at OU, I met a very diverse group of people with all kinds of backgrounds and interests. I must say, there is a very large and strong Greek community and some of the stereotypes were true, but not in a bad way.

Campus Activities Council is big, same with Greek life (which is huge). Athletic events are huge, and OU always has great guest speakers. I met a lot of my close friends through my sorority. There was always something going on. I didn't drink until I was 21 and there were always non-drinking activities on the weekends. There are lots of great Christian/church organizations to be a part of.

I had some professors who knew my name the first day of class, others that probably never knew it. My favorite class was Mass Communication Law - my least favorite was Photojournalism (horrible teacher made the class miserable, that prof is no longer there). Most students study a large amount, but that varies on the person and their major. I thought there was a lot of class participation. Intellectual conversations occur outside of class. Most unique class I took was Freedom in Greece. I was an advertising major and a Spanish minor. It was a good program. I felt like OU's academic requirements were fair. I'd say the education at times geared toward learning, and then later on there was some focus on getting a job.

I remember hearing the song "OU Sorority Girl" before going to OU and thinking that was how all OU girls were going to be. I also had heard that there were a lot of rich kids there.

Andrew

What's the best thing about OU? The food in town is amazing. We have the best restaurants in the state. Name one thing you'd change. The poor water drainage and the shitty roads. Is your school too large, too small, or just right? It's just fine. How do people react when you tell them you go to OU? Now that I live in NYC they are mostly like, "Oklahoma? weird." Where do you spend most of your time on campus? I didn't spend much time on campus. probably the rock climbing gym or the Journalism building. College town, or "what college town?" What kind of a question is this? college town? duh. What's your opinion of OU's administration? Oh it's fine. no complaints no major praises. Our president was a politician. He runs it like one. He has a nice little group of favorite students each year. Honestly I could care less. What was the biggest recent controversy on campus? Well when I was there it was the alcohol policy dry campus and all the bitching and moaning that went on during that whole debacle. A bunch of little babies cried about how they couldn't drink on campus anymore. Most of whom were underage and lived in the dorms anyway. The "strikes" policy was what got on everyone's nerves. Is there a lot of school pride? Does a bear shit in the woods? Is there anything unusual about OU? The weird secret society of Engineers. What's one experience you'll always remember? Anything that happened after 2 a.m. at the duck pond. What are the most frequent student complaints? Probably the roads.

What are your experiences with racial, religious, LGBT, socio-economic, and/or other groups on campus? I don't recall any experiences. none apparently that were memorable. What kind of student would feel out of place at OU? No one. Oklahoman's are the nicest people in the world. Actual practicing terrorists would feel very out of place. What do most students wear to class? clothes. everything from dressy to pajamas. people do that in OK. they wear pajamas to class. i take comfort in that. Do different types of students interact? yes. There are four tables of students in the dining hall. Describe them. They are eating. they are freshmen. there are boys and girls. they are talking. oh oh they are eating again. Where are most OU students from? Texas, Oklahoma What financial backgrounds are most prevalent? Middle Class Are students politically aware / active? Yeah not really. I dunno if they are into that kind of thing Are they predominantly left, right or center? I’d say probably right. Or center. I dunno though the college is different than the state Do students talk about how much they'll earn one day? ??? what kind of a question is this?

Do professors know your name? The ones I wanted to know my name do. The ones i didn't care to get to know don't. Tell us about your favorite class. Least favorite? Purington's Intro to Ethics course. difficult class for lower division and he will hurt your weak little feelings if you don't have thick skin. loved it. least favorite: Feminist professor-Lower division Am. Literature class. I never made above a C on a paper and i'm a writing major. i feel like I got "hated" on because I have a penis. How often do students study? Well it depends? that's like asking me what students usually eat for breakfast how am I supposed to know that. people generally study based on their needs. Is class participation common? In classes where it's necessary for the "learning experience" or where it's required. not as much in classes before 1030 am though. Do OU students have intellectual conversations outside of class? yes. Are students competitive? some of them, they are mostly annoying. What's the most unique class you've taken? Photojournalism. it was fun. Tell us about your major / department Journalism/professional writing. we are one of like 10 schools that have this major. It's weird. it's Journalism with some extra bits about how to write fiction and market yourself and be successful. it's still ironing out kinks but it's a good major. fun so long as you like to write and don't mind crazy professors. Do you spend time with professors outside of class? How do you feel about OU 's academic requirements? Is the education at OU geared toward getting a job, or learning for its own sake?

Most of them are from Texas, most of them are in a fraternity/sorority, said members wear ugg boots and/or double-popped collar polos in florescent hues, we're obnoxious sports fans, we're good at football, we have a good art/music/creative scene, we're alcoholics,

What are the most popular groups/organizations/clubs/teams on campus? CAC, anything greek, Tell us about a group you’re involved with. the rock climbing club. we go rock climbing. Sooners and Seniors We visited old people Do students in dorms leave their doors open? i'm sure some do. i'm sure some don't. the ones that don't probably keep it shut because they are ugly. How popular are athletic events? Guest speakers? Theater? Very popular, less popular, not popular. We are truly full of high culture Tell us about the dating scene. there are girls and boys sometimes they get to getter and have teh sexualz. it's pretty much like anywhere. How did you meet your closest friends? Through climbing. If you’re awake at 2am on a Tuesday, what are you doing? drinking. making out. playing video games. never studying. What traditions/events happen each year? Big Event, some greek rally's of some kind like scandals or something U-sing? i dunno I didn't do that shit. How often do people party? people party often. How important are fraternities/sororities? I'd say on our campus they are more important than most religions. most people in the real world do not agree with this hierarchy. What did you do last weekend? drank, climbed, made out, played video games. good weekend. What can you do on a Saturday night that doesn’t involve drinking? huh? What do you do off campus? climbing, actually everything. campus is a place for learning only.

Matt

The best thing about OU is the strive to grow and suceed to become one of the best universities in the U.S. Every year we are receiving more and more donations to improve each of our schools and are currently building six new buildings on campus. I believe the growth makes OU more attractive. OU is a great sized campus for any individual. It provides a good atmosphere for incoming freshman and is highly recognized in that particular area. It has a very homely and small feel for a campus that is this big. When I always say I go to OU it is always a suprise. Many people ask why? I think OU is a great school on the way up and is starting to get highly recognized professors in many departments. Norman is a college town. During the summer, many people leave and it is a very small town. During school though the city is bustling and has a very good nightlife especially with Oklahoma City so close. Our administration is A class. We have David Boren a former 30 year senator that provide great opportunities and leadership for our campus. Our biggest controversy on campus is how to achieve a green friendly campus. We are try to lead the way in energy management and hope to set an example for universities worldwide. School pride is through the roof and we have tons of pride in our many sports teams and show it every way possible throughout Norman.

OU is a heavily caucasian campus with a high population of international students. Currently we have 3500 plus international students and it is growing. We are racially diverse for the region and also boast a native american body as well. Most students on campus are either low middle class or upper class in the socio-economic perspective. You can tell that their is some shifts in thinking depending on where people are from and their socio-economic status. No one would feel out of place at OU because it really does feel small. Many students wear typical college clothing depending on the weather. Their is a heavy fraternity/sorority interaction on campus and many letters are showing. Different types of students interact daily. OU is very diverse and creates a good melting pot of ideas and cultures. At one table would be fraternity men, at another sorority girls, at a third would be a bunch of friends, and another a bunch of people sitting alone. OU is a very politically active campus which is due to its' liberal society and because our president is very prominent and provides many opportunities for presidential speakers and such. Yes we are highly aware at the cost of our education and how much we will make as such with a degree from this university.

None of these stereotypes are accurate and they really demean a great campus. OU's campus has some of the most visually appealing buildings I have seen on a campus. They are architecturally great and provide everyone with a homely small university feel. We also have many amazing lanscape projects. The stereotype about the students and community is generally untrue. You do have some religious affiliations that are stronger than others, but it does not affect university life at all. Our staff does happen to be particurally liberal and are very open to their views through classrooms and outside of class. Norman is a town of 100,000 plus people and is very educated as a town and many people would not label the community as redneck if you came and visited.

Yes some do know my name. It is really up to the student to decide how interactive he wants to be with the professor. OU's professors are very liberal and like to get involved on campus. My favorite class happens to be Social Problems. It provides me with in depth knowledge of our society and its' problems and the professor is very open and outgoing on every subject. Students at OU are very studious. We have many places on campus to study at night and many of them are always packed with study groups and individual groups at all times of the year. I do have intellectual conversations outside of class and many times it is with a professor. We have a lot of interested and smart students who strive to always know a little bit more. It really depends on what college your in, but I would have to say OU is not as competitive in some colleges at all, but in Engineering and Business colleges it is amazingly competitive. My department is in business and it is very hard to get into and maintain the strict requirements. It is nationally recognized on many facets and in many majors and boasts a great resume for business oriented students looking for schools. OU's academic requirements were stiff, but not hard. It did require good grades and work in high school and no slouch can get into OU. Education at OU incorporates both. We are a research university and tend to learn a lot of new information as our professors teach it to us. We learn the needed information pertaining to the class, but we also gear towards getting a job. We have many services on campus for life after college.

OU has been known to have many stereotypes and some include the nature of the students. Some people think the OU community is either all religious, all liberal, and all hicks. Other stereotypes are that our campus is not as visually appealing.

The most popular would be Sooner Nation which support all of our sports teams and then you would have the Panhellenic Association which is comprised of most of the sororities and fraternities. I am involved in Phi Sigma Pi which is an honor fraternity with men and women and provides me with an opportunity to give back to OU and the community by service, scholarship, and leadership. Yes our dorms are very laid back and everyone on the hall pretty much has an open door policy. It is very fun in the OU dorms because of the way they are set up and it provides for a great social atmosphere. Athletic events are popular in most sports and attendence wains for the less popular sport like gymnastics, but we do have great programs that all attract national contender hopes. Guest speakers are numerous on our campus and provide great political advice and we have had great professor come and speak. Former presidents Bill Clinton, and George H.W. Bush have recently visited withing the past year about political issues inflicting our nation. We have also had the Hotel Rwanda guy who saved many people from genocide in Rwanda. We are a diverse public speaking university. My closest friend were met in the dorms or through people I met in the dorms. Because of the great social atmosphere it was easy to make great aquaintances. At 2am I would probably be studying for my Economics test or some sort of test coming up because tests here are no slouching matter. Every year we host big event, the big red rally for OU-TX game, and many other events such as Save Darfur day with boxed shacks to help raise awareness. Partying is probably the same as any other decent sized campuses. I would say it is generally the norm. Frats and Sororities are huge at OU. They pride themselves on everything and are a bit snobby and stuck up here. Some are great while others can't get over themselves. Saturday Nights their is tons of stuff to do. Their is OKC downtown which has an awesome movie theatre along with the waterfront. You can go to the Bricktown area and watch a baseball game as well.

Jacob

Administration is very good, and OU is on the up and up. With that said, OU has some significant hurdles to overcome. As a general rule, the quality of students is fairly low. The university has way too many "gimme-degrees." Football is huge, just don't say anything if the team loses. The best thing about OU is the price; it is cheap as hell and they love to give out scholarships....very segmented student body. Good number of National Merit/full ride students at top, with lots of people at the bottom, and seemingly, no one in between.

The student body is overwhelmingly white, conservative, and I have found, suprisingly racist. Seems to be a high rate of brand new luxury cars/SUVs around campus. Little interaction between different groups of students, but there is a group for everyone...OU is a large public school after all. Students are not very politically active.

If you are considering OU you are most likely from Texas or Oklahoma. If you are from Texas, why not get a degree from UT or A&M? Both are far superior academic institutions. If you are from Oklahoma and can't get out of state, OU is definitely better than OSU and a lot cheaper than Tulsa. If you are from elsewhere (and probably National Merit) dont take the bait. OU is what it is, an average state school with an exceptional football team.

Professors are generally nice, and with some research, you can usually land good classes with good professors. Students study very little overall. OU's academic requires very little from its students, starting with admissions. Economics department is decent, although I feel it is hindered by the business school/arts and sciences split, offering 2 different economics degrees. The business school is on a pedestal it really should not enjoy, but large donors see otherwise. Admission to the business school is easy for most, but very difficult for the bottom dwellers of the classes. Business school is the only school that wont allow enrollment from outside its ranks...real snobbery.

Greek scene is very big. Athletic events are huge, and there are a good number of quality quest speakers thanks to Boren. Thursday/Friday/Saturday is a big deal. Dont drink? Might look somewhere else...

amy

Best thing about OU is the deep tradition & the excellence that the university bestows on the value of education. One thing I would change is the parking, parking attendants are really anal. OU is just the right size. People don't react in a negative way when I tell them I am from OU, more in a neutral way. College town for sure, just right out of the big city, but not too far away to be too far. I love OU's administration, David Boren is the best college president in the nation!! Biggest controversy is iSwim, this program that was trying to build a new swimming complex where student parking is. It would have raised tuition and the student body was split half/half on the issue. Tons of school pride! Tradition is a huge thing here, especially among athletics. Nothing really unusual about this campus. I'll remember my time in Delta Delta Delta the most. Greek life is huge here & I really took alot away from it. Frequent student complaints are probably about studying.

My experience with those groups are very rare. I think that anyone could feel comfortable here. OU is a liberal university in a very conservative state so you get a great mix of people. Most students wear jeans & t-shirts. There are so many different types of people here. Of course there are probably more rich white kids than others. There would be the table of athletes, the table of greeks, table of multi-culturals, table of politicians. Most students are from Oklahoma or Texas. Probably upper middle class. I think most students try to stay politically active. We had 3 different presidential candidates come speak here. Predominantly right. I don't think they talk too much about it.

Not at all, I have really enjoyed going to school here and meeting new people. By no means do we ride horses. What is really great about OU is that you are permitted to have cars on campus no matter what your standing is.

Yes. Favorite class is taught by Rufus J. Fears and it's called Freedom In Rome or Freedom in Greece. Least favorite class is Gateway a freshman orientation class. People are always in the library. Yes class participation is a must because we are usually graded on it. I know my friends & I do. Slightly competitive. Unique class is probably Freedom in Rome. I am an art major specializing in Painting. Our art department is probably lacking in comparison to other universities, but they just hired this awesome guy from VCU, Tommy White who has awesome ideas. He makes you want to be a better student. Not really unless I see them around. At OU academics is number one. I would say that it is more geared toward getting a job.

Most popular groups are the sororities & fraternities, after that is CAC or Campus Activities Council which is in charge of all the campus activities throughout the year. I was a member of Delta Delta Delta, it was a sorority on campus with about 200 members. You go through recruitment in the fall. It's a great experience & a great ways to meet people & get connected on campus. I always left my door open. Athletics are so important. Football is a dynasty here. Guest speakers are pretty popular, I don't know too much about the theater. Dating well dating is a weird thing here. It seems that a lot of people get married right after college, so I guess dating is pretty important. I met my closest friends in Tri-Delta and through other friends. If I am awake at 2 am I am probably studying or finishing a project. Traditions are football games, the medieval fair, student art show. People out every thursday, friday and saturday on campus corner. Fraternities/Sororities are very important, but you don't have to be in one to get connected. last weekend I hung out with my friends & went to a local bar/pub. Saturday night there is plenty going on at the Union & you can always count on your friends to think of something fun. I camp, go to the city, shop, movies, normal stuff.

Some stereotypes about OU students is that we are all snobs. We ride on horses because we are in Oklahoma.

Alex

The best thing about OU is Saturday's in the Fall. OU's size is great, people in Oklahoma think it's great when I say I go to OU. I spend most of my time in the education building on campus. For a football game there is an insane amount of school pride.

Most of them are not true however there are a few that are dead on.

My professor's all know my name. My favorite class was African Drumming and my least favorite class is any science class. Some students study more than you could imagine and some don't. Usually the people that don't study make poor grades. There's only around 20 people with the same major as me so we spend a lot of time with our professor's.

There are so many stereotypes at OU it's hard to tell them all.

Greek life is a big part of OU and football is a pretty big deal here.

University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.