Norman, OK
University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus

Yonathan

OU's academics are probably the best-kept secret in the country. The Engineering program, at least, is excellent. It provides all willing students with the opportunity to excel in whatever course they choose. Classes are of a personal nature. Even in classes of more than 250 students, professors always know my name (although that might be just because I am very outgoing).

Everyone thinks that we are the best at we do, as well they should.

Brandon

Best thing: The incredible amount of diversity we have here on campus! On any given day you will here more than 20 languages being spoken. I have made friends for life from students as far away as Europe, South America and the Middle East. Change: I would change how disconnected it feels here at times. There are so many people here that at times you may not see anyone you know here on campus all day. Still I feel for how big it is, there is still connection. School: Is slightly large but incredible to be here. Reaction: Unless they are from OSU or OSU (Oklahoma State) fans then they see it as a great university, one of the best in the Big 12. Most time: Since I am a writer for the Daily and also a journalism student and anthropology student then most of my time is spent on the South Oval in Gaylord Hall and Dale Hall. Copeland Hall is where our newsroom is so I spend an incredible amount of time in there. When I need to eat, the Campus Corner district is my first choice because of the delicious Cafe Plaid. College town: I'm not sure it is either college town or not. We have a healthy blend of people. There is an area where it is decidedly influenced by students, but go a few miles off and you see ordinary life. OU administration: At times they can be frustrating, but I feel they do a fair job. Since President David Boren has been here we have had the opportunity to hear some of the greatest leaders of our country. Former President Bill Clinton and Colin Powell are some of the names he has brought here. Recent controversy: One of the "fraternities" the Ruf/Neks (One of OU's football cheering organizations) was caught hazing. The administration cracked down on it and things have been better. Pride: Come for a football game and you will find out! Unusual: I would say unusual is an odd word to use. Life is usual. We all are different and have no specific identity as humans that have been forced on us. So, we are usual. OU students all have different views of life and ways of living it. So I think that as any university is, so are we. Remembering: The people here. I will always cherish the conversations here with people I agreed or disagreed with. The unique opportunity to meet people of all different cultures has made a profound impact on who I have become and am becoming. Complaints: That sorority girls should stop wearing Ugg boots, they went out of fashion a few years ago!

Diversity on campus: This is one area I feel OU could improve upon. We are in the Bible - belt and groups such as LGBT are looked down upon. I am straight, but one of my best friends is gay. We talked often about the problem with coming out on campus. We have those who are very uncomfortable with it and will say so. There is a lot of tolerance for everything here, and as a university we are becoming more progressive, but I think that at any university and here as well there is always an undercurrent of intolerance in any sector masked by a smile. Out of place student: I don't think any student could feel out of place, as long as they got hooked up with things they like and find people who are like them. Honestly, there is someone for everyone here. Apparel: Students here are as diverse in their dress as they are from their different backgrounds. I am going into fashion/pop culture magazine writing so how I dress is reflective of that. Sorority girls wear sweats, t-shirts and horrid Ugg boots to class. As in high school, everyone has their own sense of style. This doesn't change even after college. Adults wear what they want. Student interaction: I would say yes and no because of how I have interacted and who I am often associated with. I am friends with international students and so I see interaction between different people all the time. I also see groups of students who do not. OU students come from all over the U.S. but largely from Oklahoma. Finance: Sadly, the Greek life people are the most prevalent financially. They have Land Rovers and BMWs that their parents buy for them. They are easily identified. Politics: Yes, as in every university there are students who are active and those who are not. Part of the event with Bill Clinton was headed by the democrat student organization. Affiliation: You will find mostly conservative people here but increasingly centered. For example, many of the conservative students are looking at Obama as their possible choice. Post-grad: Of course we talk about how much we will make after college. Everyone does think about this at one time or another!

Students considering the University of Oklahoma should look deeper at it! Seriously, the tours are great but ask to stay with someone, sit in a class, talk to a professor, meet an international student, stay up until 2 a.m. talking with someone who should be studying. This helps you know a university better than any other way you could.

Just as with every university, there are all of these stereotypes but I think the fantastical is what people like to hear. Yes, there are the partiers, the football fanatics and those who on't pay attention to what is going on in the world around them. However, this doesn't define us. We have intellectuals that can, at times, rival a professor in a debate, people who could care less about the game of football and still others who came to OU for a good education...not to party. Stereotypes are common at every school. Students coming out of high school need to understand that every university will have incredible diversity, but it all has to do with them opening up their eyes and stepping into it. They cannot rely on the information of what is fantastical but on what is observable.

We are a bunch of athletic - types who only care about football, partying and are cloistered away from the real world.

Groups: PanAm (Pan - American student association) is very popular and known for throwing good parties. Of course football is a big deal so there are groups organized around the team. Also, the diversity here has begun to allow small but lauded groups to pop up. Group: OU cousins pairs up American students with exchange students. I love it. My cousin is now like a brother to me. His name is Julien and he is from France. We look out for each other and have had some great conversations. Athletic: This is the Big 12 baby! Football is king in this conference so 85,000 + fans show up at home games. I lose my voice almost every time because of how intense they are. If there is any type of tensions between people, they go out the door here because we are all on that football field. Guest speakers: These draw the intellectual crowd quite a bit. I love going to these because I learn so much. I skipped classes just to be able to listen to Bill Clinton. Theater: There is a crowd for the thespian scene. I know quite a few people who go and I have been to one event, shoot I was almost in the event! Dating scene: Not sure, I am just making friends! Closest friends: I met them randomly, just by showing up at parties or classes. 2 a.m.: I am going to bed! Last weekend: My brothers came to visit me and we went to my friend Angelo's birthday party where we dance to a French song called "Les Lecs du Connemara" Off-campus: I work and eat!

Name: Yea, the more you get into your major the more they recognize you. Favorite class and least favorite: I like most of my classes, I find something good about each. Right now, I have to say that Biological Physical Anthropology is a killer, but I have to take it for my second major. I loved Socio-Cultural Anthropology. Intellectual conversations: Yes, we do have amazing conversations outside of class. Even at parties I have been too, U.S. foreign policy was being discussed while we were sipping on a Screwdriver. Many students I have talked to care very much about what is going on in our world and think progressively for and care deeply about how our country. Competitive: Yes, students are but not against each other. Often, you will find them helping one another with something. No, they are competitive with themselves and their professors. Majors: Journalism and anthropology are amazing for their faculty. Both have incredible programs. Education: OU balances both job and learning. Of course they want us to succeed but we do have classes we must take that force us to think outside of the box and in the mindset of others.

Ainsley

The best thing about OU is definitely football game days. Specifically OU/TX weekend. It is amazing to be a part of a group of fans that huge and that in love with a team. If I had to change something it would be the size of the Greek system. The Greek society at OU is massive and it is very difficult to get involved and meet friends without being a part. This is also a good thing in some ways, as it is an extremely rewarding and enjoyable experience to in a sorority/fraternity. I think the size of OU is just right. I met new people in every class during college, but I also never walked to class without seeing a familiar face. On campus I spent most of my time at the beautiful library. The architecture at OU is this amazing red brick/gothic style and the library is one of the best examples. Even though I didn't much care for all the studying...the building was a gorgeous setting. Definite college town. OU rules the Norman community and everyone in town owns at least one OU car flag.

The best thing is my boyfriend Jake is here. The worst thing is that he's been neutered so I have to initiate everything if you know what I mean.

OU fans and students definitely live for football. Game days are a truly unique experience. I never experienced the snobby stereotype that I had been warned about. There are quite a few wealthy kids from OKC and Tulsa that go to OU in comparison to Oklahoma State or other schools in OK and I can see how this stereotype could get started.

Some classes are huge..like chemistry, zoology, physics. And some classes like poetry and literature in medicine are quite small. The size of the class obviously determines whether a professor will know your name. And students study at different degrees depending on major and future plans. Law school/Med school wannabes are at the library or Barnes and Noble 24/7. Education majors have it a bit easier as far as study hours. Most unique class I took was Chaucer. The entire class was about Cantebury Tales and other great Chaucer works. It was a memorable experience and really shaped the way I view society.

Greek life is HUGE! To get involved on campus, greek society is a great place to start. I met all my closest friends in my sorority and found out about ways to get involved on campus and also received advice about classes to take and classes to steer clear of. Also, Crimson Club Ambassadors is a prestigious group to apply for once you've built up a few activities/offices on your college resume. Football events are definitely popular and you'll find it difficult to get tickets if you aren't johnny on the spot about signing up at the beginning of the year. Freshman.. you might be out of luck, sorry. Basketball is not quite so popular. Students go to games, but it is not the community event like football is. Weekend nights are great in norman. There is always a theatre production on campus or a band/concert on Campus Corner. If you visit Norman, Campus Corner is a must see. There are lots of tasty restaurants popping up all the time. Also, check out the little boutique shopping spots around there. Off campus, students can go to Lake Thunderbird for waterskiing/wakeboarding/fishing/etc. Norman is full of excellent eateries, great shopping, fun bars. The Mont is basically a historic landmark. A bar that has been there since way before the dinosaurs. You must go there and get a Swirl.

OU is considered to be a "football school". There is also sometimes talk of OU and OU Students as being "stuck up" and a "party" school.

Students like me are discriminated against. We only get dog food to eat.

i would like to have more to eat and a boyfriend who hasn't been castrated. i also miss running around with my little buddy Zampa who transferred to New York. Do you think there is a place for me in theater on Broadway? Are there Delta Omicron Gammas in New York who haven't been fixed?

I like drama class and making facial expressions.

It is mostly about me and Jake. We went for a walk last weekend in the country and he got lost for awile until I found him. I love all the other Delta Omicron Gamma's.

We play our iPods on our stereotypes while we study. Does that answer your question?

Kate

At times my school seems too small, but I think that's just because the group I usually hang out with is the greek system here at OU, which makes the university seem smaller than it really is. Since I am from Texas, I get dogged on alot when I tell Texans that I go to OU, especially my dad. I spend most of my time at the Pi Phi house on campus or at the library when I need to get some intense studying done. Definately a college town; Norman is because of OU. OU has a huge amount of school pride; a boomer sooner is proud to be one and definately shows it when we wear our OU gear to class everyday. Just shout "Boomer" walking down the south oval and you will definately get a louder "Sooner" back. Unfortunately, the most frequently heard complaint is something that can't be helped: Oklahoma weather.

I think a minority student might feel out of place here at OU. There are of course many minorities here, but they all stick together. The majority is definately white. Most students wear sweats or jeans, something comfortable. It is rare that you see someone dressed up. Most OU students are from bigger cities here in Oklahoma: Oklahoma City, Tulsa. The rest are from Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex area in Texas. Most students here seem well off, but that just might be because I only know greek students, and the majority of greek students are well off. Students here are predominantly right winged.

That we are all very conservative, somewhaat country or hick. All the Texas people come here because they can't get into UT Austin.

My professors in my smaller classes know my name, usually classes of 25 and under.My least favorite class is my honors communications class because it is based mainly on discussion, and that really doesn't fit my personality. I am more of a shy and introverted person, so speaking out doesn't really suit me. Class participation is common in the smaller classes. I never spend time with professors outside of class. That seems very uncommon. The education at OU seems geared at getting a job: every major is very specialized and we have a ton of connections with various companies that come and seek out future employees here at OU.

A huge aspect of OU is the greek community, which is very popular here on campus. I am involved in Pi Beta Phi sorority. Most students in the dorms lock their doors, however, I haven't since the first day of school. Football games are very very popular, basketball and other sports are definately overshadowed by football season. I met my closest and only friends through my sorority. If I am awake at 2am on a Tuesday night, I am either studying or hanging out with my boyfriend. People party every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night, unless something special is happening during the week, where in that case a party might happen during a weekday. Last weekend I partied on Thursday and Friday night, and went to a dateparty on Saturday night. When I go off campus, it is usually to make a run to Target or WalMart or the mall. Rarely do I go to the movies or out to eat.

Randy

Well the best thing used to be the Organ Grinder right across the street from my doghouse before they made it into a parking lot and then the Grinder went out of business. The worst thing is they won't let me into Memorial Stadium on game days because they are racist. They used to have Snoop Dog but they even got rid of him. I'm thinking about transfering somewhere that appreciates me more...

Most of us just wear nothing to class except a collar and nobody seems to mind. There is a lot of interaction depending upon whether you've been neutered or not. There are two kinds of fellow students at the tables: fast eaters and slow eaters. Politically most of us walk right down the center on all four legs...

I miss my little buddy Zampa who moved to Manhattan and I'm thinking of transferring to NYU if I can get credit for my digging class.

Nope. My girlfriend is a shorthair too.

That they all have long hair when some of us actually are shorthairs.

I don't date much since I have no testoserone.

Favorite class is soil sciences in the engineering department. We get to dig holes. I would say my education is geared toward eating, sleeping and digging.

Sasha

I feel OU is just about right. Once you get into your major, you know everyone who is in that school of study. People definitely view OU in a positive light. I spend most of my time on campus at the Library. I think Norman isn't a very fun town. The bars suck at OU unless you want to be real fake at seven47. OU has a great administration. David Boren is the man. The biggest controversy on campus is the Alcohol policy even though fraternity parties are making a big come back (ones that happen in the house). The school pride is high just for OU football. Nothing too unusual about OU. It's your basic University.

Student body is greek dominated. There is a strong evangelical Christian group which seems to be getting larger and larger each year. Most students wear ordinary clothes to OU. Most students from OU are from Oklahoma and Texas. Tons of texas kids. Students are pretty politically active. There isn't very much apathy. Most are very Moderate.

I would say they are accurate. Very much so.

Academics at OU are not bad at all. It depends on what you major in to be honest. I'm accounting and have felt I have had only one real hard class which has been Finance. Just listen to what teachers to take and you'll be fine. Also, talk to the teachers because they do favor those who actually talk.

Again, the greek system dominates the social scene. I hate to say it but I cannot imagine anyone's social life without one. Students typically leave their doors open. On the dating scene, date parties typically are the start of most relationships. Last weekend, we had a party at my fraternity, went to a Country Club in Oklahoma City, and just had a great time. Since there is a strong Christian population, you can find others that don't drink and have fun.

I wouldn't say there are any particular type of OU Students. Most of them are easy going Oklahoma and Texas people. I would say that the Greek system absolutely dominates the scene. I feel everyone who is well regarded is from the Greek System.

Sandra

I have realy enjoyed my time here at OU. I came from a small high school compared to most and was a little scared at being thrown into a huge college like this. My fears were put at rest the moment I got here, it might be a big school but the close knit campus and the people really make it feel like home. I don't feel like I am lost in the crowd and there are so many ways you can get involved and enjoy your time here. I love living in Norman. It does feel like a college town but it also feels like an average city. If you stay right around campus you will feel like Norman was built around the school, there is great shopping, places to eat, and things to do. If you venture farther out though its just like a regular town,which is nice. I enjoy being able to have both parts. The pride here is unbelievable, students love this school so much and it shows everytime there is a game, event or just in everyday life. As you drive around Norman almost every car you pass will have an OU sticker of some sort on it and you can't even count all of the OU flags proudly flying in people's yards. When I graduate I will look back and realize what a great decision going to OU was. I have enjoyed every part of it and grown and learned so much about myself as a person here. I am proud to call this school my own.

I think OU's student body is very diverse. There are so many ways to get involved on campus and there is something for everyone. The student organizations are really there to help you and they make sure and get you involved and really try to do thinks that will help every student.

I can see how OU is similiar to UT compared to the other schools in Oklahoma, OU is the biggest and I could see how Norman as a city could be compared to Austin. As far as the stereotype about the students being snobby it can go both ways. You do run into those people who walk around thinking that they are the greatest thing, but then you have those really down to earth people as well. However, anywhere you go you are going to have both kinds of people so I don't think it really effects OU as a school.

The academics at OU are wonderful. I have felt very challenged here and it has made me have to really try and learn. In high school it was very easy to just get by but hear they really make you learn which will of course benefit you in the long run. I feel very prepared for jobs and my life after OU.

From what I have heard people think that OU students are pretty snobby. I have also heard that OU is the UT of Oklahoma.

The social life at OU is very prominant. I am a part of a sorority which I love and am very thankful I am a part of, I have met some of my closest friends through that. I would recommend giving fraternities and sororities a try, but if it is not for you there are many other ways to meet people. The students are very friendly so it is very easy to make friends and there is always something going on that you can be a part of. There is something for everyone from the person who likes to party to the person who would rather not, I have never felt bored.

Reese

My time at OU was great. I enjoyed my scholastic experience, however, towards the end of my education I began to notice some glaring oversights and misplaced priorities. I began to realize that OU was being managed as a business rather than a place of higher education. Many of the benefits and programs were not aimed towards students like me, who were searching more for a liberal education that was both interesting and challenging. I got the feeling that most of the younger students were coming to OU to "make it through" rather than enjoying a college experience. That was a huge difference compared to the first couple of years I spent at OU. I think the pride is there and a great deal of interest, but the blight of campus is that there is too much to lose politically if the school doesn't fit into the right mold. I would have appreciated my time at OU much more if there was more of a vision for the future of the school more than being a political tool for the president of the university. We all loved football at OU, but there is something to be said for a school that can raise hundreds of millions of dollars within a year, yet tuition continues to rise and professors are still underpaid, the exception being one of the schools most popular and overrated professors, who was more interested in spreading political ideology rather than instructing and allowing students to make up their own minds. All in all, OU was an amazing experience. Through all the crap, there really is a core of interesting and amazing people. You can't allow yourself to get caught up in the hype and just enjoy the freedom of being on a college campus. There is a lot of pressure to join clubs in the first year, but resisting initiation into an organized club was one of the best decisions I made.

There are so many religious groups and Greek organizations on campus. It was frustrating at times, but it wasn't hard to ignore them. My freshman year at OU I was involved with the BSU and then later House Church until I realized that both of these clubs were very polarizing and exclusive. I was more interested in an organization that was inclusive and social. I started playing ultimate frisbee with the university's club team and found that it was the right fit for me. It was involved and fun. I made hundreds of friends with relative ease, but you have to be open to the possibility of making friends. Had I joined a fraternity my freshman year, I may have met a lot of people immediately, but I wouldn't have had the freedom to continue making friends throughout my time at OU. I was in the European Students Organization for a while, I played ultimate frisbee, I was in a band, I literally came out of college with hundreds of great friends. I still make fun of what girls wore to class at OU. Everyday I saw a girl wearing a North Face, pink fleece jacket with sweatpants and UGG boots on. Everyday I would see that. I just wore what I had around, but I do think there is a huge pressure on young girls at OU to conform to this weird over-done, poorly dressed mass of other girls on campus. This may have something to do with most of the girls (and guys) at OU coming from primarily suburban towns. There wasn't enough of the crazy stuff on campus that would stir the pot. I hoped everyday that we would have streakers or some loonies yelling at other students on campus. It would have made things a little more fun, but people on campus are really terrified of standing out. Once, my friends and I were accosted on campus by the police because we were having a head-stand competition and they thought we were on drugs. I don't blame them, because they must have been extremely bored. No one ever does anything. Ever. Thinking back, maybe I should have done some drugs while I was in school. It may have been a lot of fun... Just kidding.

They are somewhat accurate. There is a lot of diversity and there are a lot of activities, but you have to look for it. The Greek system just presents itself as the only outlet for activity, leaving students to believe it's the only thing to do.

That there isn't a lot of diversity and that a majority of the activities are created by or for the Greek system.

I had many amazing classes at OU. Among the best of those classes was Creative Writing, History of Afro-Brazilian music, and French food and film. I also really enjoyed the camaraderie of all the language classes I took. It was really wonderful being in an environment where everyone was motivated to grow and learn. I spent most of my time with friends when I was studying or when I wasn't. I made conscious decisions to take classes my friends were taking or had taken. This gave me the opportunity to study with them. My least favorite class was definitely Freedom in Greece. I had always heard that the class was a lot of fun, and that the professor was extremely engaging and informative, yet all my experiences from the class are negative. The professor was well versed on the subject of historical Grecian democracy and the origins of democracy, yet he was obsessed with the modern ideology of American democracy and also war. He was always manipulating the facts from the past and past victories in Greece to coincide with the current turmoil that American government has placed upon many American citizens. In his tests, he would write questions that could only be answered correctly if we agreed with his ideology. There was no room for independent thinking. This was fairly indicative of the way very few of the professors at OU operate, however, this particular professor was a campus favorite and loved by the president of the university, and his importance is over-inflated and solidified throughout the campus. I was more interested in learning, yet I believe OU is geared more towards job training. The students that are drawn to OU seem a little more practical an well-suited to that kind of education, however, my particular training was more contemplative and geared to prepare me for grad school.

Football season was always fun until the last year I was at OU. It seemed like the OU fans from out of town were more unfriendly than ever. My car would always get messed with and they would always make fun of me because I didn't look exactly like them. I felt out of place, even though I most certainly was not. I grew up playing football, and was a huge fan, I just didn't look the part. The dating scene seemed to shrink as I got older. The availability of girls was just smaller. When you live in the dorms, the possibilities are endless, but then you move out and lose touch. Then you can meet people at parties or at friends houses, but the opportunities aren't as frequent. I met most of my best friends during my junior year. I met them all at different times, but many of them weren't even students, and at the time, neither was I. We were all at the same party where we all knew mutual friends and that's how I met them. That's what was fun about OU, is that you have a mutual friend with almost anyone that is on campus. We went to the Library a lot, a bar off-campus, and we spent a lot of time at our friends houses. We had house parties a lot and we went to house parties all the time. That was the extent of our social lives, but our social lives were very healthy. We went to see live music all the time too. I miss my social life at OU.

Katie

OU is a big school, but it often has a close-knit, small school feel. Parking is now a complaint, but until last year it wasn't a problem.

I've met people from all over the world at OU. There are many students from Oklahoma and Texas.

Professors know your name if you make the effort to get to know them. In general, the academic requirements are not difficult.

I found that many campus groups are resume boosters and that the students were not actually interested in the group itself. I had a terrifc dorm experience. After moving to a house, I lived with four girls from my hall for a year and a half and stayed close with several others. All of my close friends at school I met in the dorm.

Cassie

The University of Oklahoma has become my home. I have branched out from Houston, TX and created a new life of my own, on my own. This school has so much to offer for students wanting to get involved in the community and the university. At OU no one gets lost in the crowd, because it has the ability to cater to any person's needs or interests. I could not have asked for a better college experience and I would not change one thing about OU. OU is. . . medium sized with a small town feel, overflowing with gorgeous flowers and fountains on the campus, a college town, proud of its althetic programs, and rich in history and tradition.

I don't think so. I believe that every house has many great and diverse people that make it up! It is those bad seeds that give houses bad names, and it takes many years to clear the slate from those doings.

OU classes are: small within your major, but stadium size for general education classes. Students usually study in the library, in dorm study lounges or at Starbucks. My favorite class at OU has been hosting a radio show and my least favorite class has been PR research.

The main stereotypes that I am surrounded by include Greek stereotypes, like what each sorority and fraternity chapter is perceived as. For instance, different houses make up songs and chants that bash other houses for being too slutty, drunk or maybe even pyhsicaly large. It is actually pretty disgusting to see the way people belittle other people for being in a different house. Many students that I have been surrounded by define themselves by their house and judge others based on the house that they are in.

University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.