Norman, OK
University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus

Cameron

when i tell people that i went to OU, the first thing that comes to their mind is football. OU has a great football tradition, and that is very well known. i would consider norman to be a big college town. think of it this way, if OU were to suddenly not exist in norman, it would not survive as it does. a good portion of the town is built around the university, it would be a different place without it. one experience i will always remember is when mitch hedberg and zach galifinakis(sp?) performed on the south oval. excellent.

different types of students rarely interact on campus. i mean that racially, socioeconomically, greek/non-greek, people who wear nice clothes/people who wear casual clothes, and athletes/non-athletes.

there are a few things at OU that may have hindered my experience, but for the most part, i really liked OU. i came randomly from a different part of the country, but i found the people to be inviting. before i went to OU, i didn't know a single person in oklahoma, but some of my best friends graduated from OU with me. BOOMER SOONER!

i think for the most part they are. most of the very nice cars around campus belong to greek students. as for the football players, i have had classes with several players. in my experience the more popular/recognizable players payed less attention in class and took their tests in different areas than the rest of us. i have also had classes with some younger, less recognizable players, and they had people checking up on them to make sure they were going to class.

much of thee greek system is composed of students from very wealthy families. there are a lot of students who drive too nice of cars. the really good football players don't actually have to take their tests.

athletic events are far more popular than guest speakers and the theater. some of my best experiences at OU were seeing guest speakers (the brown sisters [brown v. board of education] and a survivor of the holocaust, and a colleague of j.r.r tolkien). unfortunately, the only reason i knew of them was because extra credit was offered in various courses.

the only professors that knew my name were from classes of fewer than 30 students. of the 150 or so credit hours i earned, only two of the classes were that small. there are classes in which participation is common, but it is usually the same 4 or 5 people who participate all of the time. i really liked most of the professors in the psychology department, but there were some problems. davetta (the advisor for the department for my first two years) was not a suitable sole occupant of her position. she was nice, but she was not very helpful. with as many classes as i took, i could have graduated a semester earlier and had a much easier load. i know this now only after doing what i did. the education at OU, in my opinion, is solely geared at learning for it's own sake. it was rare in my education at OU that i learned a practical application of the knowledge i acquired. and i mean practical in the sense of getting a job.

Robin

I think that OU needs to work to get more financial aid to its students and make it easier to access it. OU is alright not the best but definately not the worst...

the students at OU are mainly white and middle to upper class.

Pretty academics oriented but sports is still more important to the university in my opinion..

Greek life if the social life. If you are not in a fraternity or sorority then you miss out on almost everything.

Nick

There is a ton of school pride here. I never got excited about my high school but OU football games have made me a Sooner fan. The enthusiasm is infectious, especially at football games which have been a surprisingly fun experience. I think the enthusiasm also carries over to a sense of campus camaraderie that is definitely a positive aspect.

In my experience OU students are pretty open minded. I don't think that most students here are prejudiced to any significant extent. In general OU students let others be free to do whatever they want.

Not really, there is a good mix of perspectives here

OU academic advisers need better major-specific information. For Chemical Engineering I had very specific courses to be taken each semester in my major and my advisers were unable to alert me of this. They should have had access to major-specific requirement and scheduling information so that I would have had the option to leave 2 semesters earlier than I will now.

I met my closest friends on campus through the Delta Chi fraternity. My fraternity experience has given me close brothers but also a variety of other friends I've been introduced to by my brothers.

Matthew

The school is very well rounded. If you like sports, the Big XII championship for football has to come through Norman every year. If you are into arts, we have a huge museum, major concerts of all kinds, etc. If you like the outdoors, the campus is beautiful and numerous state parks are close by. I feel like most of the people that I knew had school pride. The one major complaint that I had was how conservative many of the people are (mostly politically and religiously). I thought college was supposed to be a time of liberal thought and experimentation, but not everyone feels the same.

No student should really feel out of place at OU. With 30,000 people, it's like a small town and pretty much any interest is present. Basically, if you can't find people that you like to spend time with, you aren't looking very hard. What students wear to class depends on the department. Most of the people in the science departments will just wear normal street cloths. Many of the business majors (upperclassmen especially) will have on something more like business casual. Greeks will typically have on letters, and you'll see plenty of OU paraphernalia wandering around too. More of the students than one would expect are conservative (or at least more than I though would be). I think that it is just part of the post-9/11 trend, and I'm thinking that it won't last forever. With that in mind, Oklahoma is a conservative state, and most of the students were raised in conservative households. A number of other students are also lefties; they just don't seem to stand out like the conservatives. I guess I was just expecting them.

More accurate for OSU. The campus is in a suburban town, but not really the middle of nowhere. There are things to do in Norman, although it is true at times that a bigger city nearby may provide students with some other free-time options.

The academics are strong and felt like they were always improving. Some of my favorite classes were in the philosophy department, but that is probably because they were a nice break from a lot of science. Large class sizes are a problem, especially in the science department. This didn't seem like such a problem in other departments. The problem of large classes in the early years of college is predominantly avoided by adding discussion sections for the student to attend that are taught by the TA's. This is helpful because it reinforces the material a second time, but might not be necessary if the classes could be made smaller. I didn't see many of my professors outside of class, nor did I spend much time talking to them. Most of them made themselves available to students to come and see them, I just chose not to do so. I majored in biochemistry. The department was strong, but I felt like more credit hours to graduate may have been helpful. I managed to finish a semester early and was sort of stuck in limbo before graduation. Nobody else that I know had this problem, so it is by no means common; I just know of other classes (in or out of the department) that would be helpful for most students to have before graduating. Some sort of research requirement would also be nice to see (optional at this point). My department was very helpful, and the advising staff was great. The department itself is geared more to students interested in pursuing a doctorate in some scientific discipline after graduation. I ended up going to medical school and still felt well prepared (and even ahead of the curve at times) even compared to people next to me fresh out of the Ivy League.

The most popular groups on campus, at least from my own perspective, were Greek. That is beginning to change, but many of the most involve people on campus are still Greek. It provides a chance to meet a large number of people on campus and provides a social network and springboard to get into many of elected positions. The dorms are a great place to spend freshman year, however I don't recommend any more than that. We always had an open door policy, and people would just walk in and talk to anybody that was home. This, and my fraternity, are where I met some of my closest friends. The reason that I wouldn't recommend more than a year in the dorms is that classes start to be scheduled earlier by sophomore and junior year. I can recall numerous nights where halls and neighbors were noisy well past 2 AM. Not a huge problem when your classes don't start until noon, but a little annoying when you have 830 class.

That the campus is in the middle of nowhere, most of the students are country folk, there is nothing to do in Norman.

Robert

Upon reflection, one of the best things about OU is that its in an actual "college town". Norman is far enough away from OKC to not feel like its a suburb, or part of one big mass, but close enough that its not inconvenient to drive up there for shopping, or events, or Bricktown (the club district). I think that Norman generates a sense of community, a sense that the town belongs to the students, and its their home. I don't think you get that in a city campus, and that sense gives everyone something in common. And norman does pretty well for itself as a fun place. The bar scene is good (and getting better), and there are good, affordable restaurants for off campus eating. Like a lot of schools it's size, OU has a fairly greek heavy social scene. Since OU went dry a few years ago, that influence has decreased, but it is still there. For students inclined to go the greek route, that's great, but it can be a downside for those who are hesitant to join a house, but who want that same communal experience. That isn't to say it's not there, because it is, and there are plenty of extracurricular activities both on and off campus to join, but you have to look a bit harder for it. School pride is a must. If you don't love OU when you get there, you will get sucked in eventually, or you will likely be kinda outcast. In fact, OU has Camp Crimson, a pre-frosh summer camp with the express purpose of introducing new students to OU traditions and spirit. This is good, this way you don't look like a tool at the first home football game. Also, you get to meet many of the other incoming freshmen and pick out a few attractive girls or guys to flirt with during the year. good times. If i had to list a complaint, i'd actually go with parking. Parking at OU flat out sucks. If you live on campus, or a greek house, you can walk to campus, and that works pretty well. But if you don't live within comfortable walking distance (and many don't, there are a lot of very student friendly apartment complexes around town) you have to drive, and that means dealing with parking. If you want to actually park on campus, you need to spend a lot of money, and frankly, you need to have a lot of luck. A lot of people park at Lloyd Noble Arena and ride a shuttle bus to class, but at peak times, you have to wait in line, and it can take awhile.

The student body is pretty laid back and chill. Being a bible belt university, it does have its fair share of pushy christian types and their associated drama. That can cause a little bit of tension on campus, especially since they tend to be loud about abortion, homosexuality, and other issues. But for the most part, they are easy to ignore. Otherwise, i never really had any issues surrounding LGBT, economic, religious, or racial groups. Everyone just kinda gets along, and if there are problems, they tend to leave each other alone. Its a diverse campus, with a lot different cultural experiences to be had, and OU does a good job of promoting and developing that. Which means that generally, the only students who get totally left out at OU are the students who choose to be. As for student interaction, you'll get a lot of interaction in class, or at football games, etc. As a big greek campus, a lot of students align themselves with houses, and that can carry both benefits and hinderances for meeting other students and interacting. Overall, though, its a laid back experience. a lot of students tend to dress down for class, and if its before noon, a lot of them just roll out of the rack and go straight to class in whatever they slept in. Politically, the campus is active, and pretty much all viewpoints are well represented. There are strong groups for liberals, conservatives, and libertarians, and that keeps the campus fairly centered.

The ones related to football, drinking, and Texas are.

Academics at OU are good, but not necessarily world class. I think it depends on what you want to study. I was political science, and while we didn't always get the best classrooms, i did have some excellent professors. The general trend at OU is that classes for your first year or two will be big, as you have a lot of students clearing out core requirements. However, as you progress in your degree, specialized classes tend to be small. In those classes, the professors generally take the time to get to know you. I had very good relationships with several professors, and would even occasionally see them outside of class for beers or lunch.

OU is very much centered around two things: football and drinking. if you don't like that, then OU might not be such a great choice for you. My friends and i played quite a lot of beer pong in our day, and we frequented the bar scene. Thursday night is a big bar night at OU, because friday and saturday are often taken up for greek date parties and so forth. The dorms were pretty ok, and we did some partying there as well. Its kinda hard for me to say what to do on the weekends that doesn't involve beer, because most of mine did. and i was totally ok with that. The one thing that everyone must do at least once is make the pilgrimage down to Dallas for OU/Texas. Even if you don't go to the game, just going down for the party weekend is an experience in itself. Even alumnus tend to find their way to Dallas that weekend, and it is always a good time, no matter the outcome of the game.

That we all love football, that we drink a lot, that we hate Texas, that we live in a backasswords state.

Evan

I love how everybody rallies together to show school pride, especially in football. By Oklahoma standards it is probably second to Stillwater when it comes to a party town but compared to out of state it is nowhere near. I would say that the most frequent student complaint I have heard is about the dry campus policy by the administration.

A large amount of students wear clothing such as North Face, Polo, etc. Sure there are people that wear whatever they want but it is a little disturbing to see what looks like clones walking all around campus.

Delta Chi. It is obviously the fraternity house on campus. Nothing else needed.

No way. I was surprised at how many people from out of country go to OU and say that it was definitely known where they came from.

I am in mostly gen. ed. classes which means they are huge so mostly my professors don't know my name but in the smaller classes they definitely do. My biggest complaint is about some of the professors from outside the country. They can have terrible accents which makes it extremely difficult to understand the material.

Students in dorms are, for the most part, very friendly. It is very easy to make friends living in such a close environment. Athletic events are the main thing during the season. The weekend usually begins on Thursday night and that is the case for most students. If you don't drink, then you can do a number of things. There is Lake Thunderbird close-by and other general activities such as bowling and movies are also an option.

I'm not sure how other people stereotype OU and its students but I always thought it was somewhere that people from the middle of the country and a few from the coasts would go to. I didn't think that many people outside the country knew about it, or even considered it.

Andrew

I came to OU looking to get an education, and that is what I'm getting from them. But that is not why I'm staying, sure OU is a wonderful place we are surrounded by beauty and we get a first class education, but I stay for the Baptist Student Union, the BSU has a long legacy of not only teaching students how to walk with God, but also teaching them how to teach others how to walk with God. probably more than half of the nation's Baptist collegiate ministers came straight out of the OU BSU. If you are a Christian you will not find a better training opportunity than at the BSU and it doesn't matter what denomination you are, you are welcomed, infact probably half of the students involved with the BSU are not baptist.

there are many groups on campus, everyone can find a place were they fit in.

I think our school pride can sometimes get out of hand, but by no means do I hate any other school and I don't think I know anyone that does. During the OU/UT game things can get a little heated and you definitely don't want to be in the middle of it and you definitely will be harrassed if you go to Dallas for the game; there is some real hatred there; and there is no reason for it, except that our school pride clashes with theirs. As for OSU I view them as a little brother that we just can't let them beat us, but we really want them to do well, I think that is how most students feel toward them. and as for the rest of our conference, of course we like our school better than theirs but I have no feelings of hate toward them and I don't know anyone who does.

There are 2 classes at OU that every one should take before they leave: Freedom in Greece and Freedom in Rome these classes are taught by J. Rufus Fears and all he does is tell stories about the history of Greece and Rome respectively its the kind of class that you are truly disappointed to miss.

We hate all other schools in our conference especially UT and OSU and we think we are the best at everything.

Nate

The best thing about OU is the campus. Of all the college campuses I've seen, ranging from all over the US, OU has one of the best. The size is just right, not huge, and not so small that it feels cramped. People generally mention the musical "Oklahoma" or something about cowboys or southern belles when I tell them I'm attending OU. I spend most of my time on campus in the Union, or in classes. I try not to spend too much time on campus. OU's administration is alright, I suppose. President Boren is extremely considerate and helpful, and thinks very highly of the students attending the university. There was something mentioned today about a cult thinking that Boren is impotent, and the controversy seems to be over if they meant he is stupid, or unable to procreate. There is a lot of school pride, and like most other places, sometimes too much. An unusual thing about OU is that the more money I spend on tuition, the more flat-panel widescreen televisions I see hanging about in places like the cafeteria, the bursar's office, and other places where people don't need to be watching high definition programming. There are several experiences that I will remember, mostly from freshman year and exploring the campus. Students seem to complain about tuition prices, textbook prices, and the fact that none of their classes seem to teach them anything useful, even though they are paying for it.

I have very little experience with any groups on campus, except the religious-nuts who hand out pamphlets saying we are all condemned to hell. Most students would feel welcome at OU, and I doubt there are very many who would feel out of place. Different types of students interact all the time, and there is a group for every interest. Students mostly wear student clothes, like polo's and the latest trends from GAP and other places. Most OU students are from Oklahoma and Texas. Students seem to have an opinion in politics, but a lot are not informed and just seem to be spouting off whatever their parents told them to. Some of them are wishy-washy and conform to whatever candidate/party their professors like. Students mostly talk about how much longer they're going to be in college before they get taken seriously.

For the general, in-state population, there are a large number of baptists, and several are from farms. However, not everyone at the university fits into these stereotypes and stereotypes are generally too broad and inclusive to be accurate, but they are based in reality.

That they are mostly farmers and baptists.

Some professors do know my name. All of my film professors know my name, and some of the general course professors make an effort to know my name, and in the past, several other professors have known my name. My favorite class was either English Comp II, taught by Tommy White, or Storytelling, taught by Jeff Van Hanken. My least favorite classes were all of the gen. eds, and some others. Some students study quite a lot. It varies. Personally, I never study and I never read the textbooks assigned. I rarely pay attention in class. Class participation is not common. Just like everyone hates the 'ice-breakers' that are done in groups when you first go to a conference or some other event. Nobody wants to talk in class anymore than people want to sit on each others laps in a circle of self-supporting human chairs. Intellectual conversations are much more likely to happen outside of class, because outside of class, there are no professors to 'guide' the conversation to the outcome they want it to reach. Students are competitive, but oftentimes it isn't against each other, but against the class or the professor. I do not spend time with professors outside of class. OU's academic requirements are similar to other university's requirements. There is too much emphasis placed on gen. ed. courses, which do not help the student, and only take more time away from what they want to be pursuing. The education at OU is generally geared towards whatever goals the professor wants to achieve. Very little is done towards getting a job or learning. Most of the courses are all the same, and the most the student has to learn is how to tailor his or her writing to that professor's liking, and how to take the exams. None of this is cheating, but all done by 'learning' the professor and what kind of answers are likely to get you a good grade, as opposed to learning the material. This is the biggest problem at the collegiate level.

Some people invest a lot of time and effort into the Greek system, but I don't. There is really nothing to do in Norman except drink, and even that is heavily regulated by strict, antiquated laws. If not out at a bar, or club, then there is nothing to do in Norman past 10pm. The theater has shown it's last film of the day, and the bowling alley gets old after a few weeks, and that could be considered a type of club/bar.

KC

There is a lot of school pride, though I don't have it. I like the size of OU and the fact that it's a totally walkable campus for the most part. Sometimes our administration is ineffective and too bureaucratic. Nor does it always look out for the best interests of the students. For example, during the ice storm in December, finals were still scheduled even though many people had no electricity or could get to campus. They could make up those finals later, but the decision made everything somewhat hectic. The school size is just right---a tad too large, but not overly large. I think that the English building (Gittinger) needs big time renovation. Norman is a nice college town---a bit small, but not a bad place. I spend most of my time on campus either in Gittinger, in the Union, or on the South Oval. I love the benches in the South Oval. The Union always has a weird smell---I think that should be fixed. People in Louisiana get excited about OU football when I tell them that's where I go---that's why I described that as one of the stereotypes about OU. They always ask me about football, too, but I don't really care about it. OU has some weird things---like that horse with the demon eyes, but it's still great. I'm not sure if there's an experience that I will remember. Stuff with English Club, maybe---boxing books, helping with the bake sale. And during the fall semester of my junior year, I had some great classes. People frequently complain about the weird bike lane/pedestrian division and the quality of the college newspaper.

I don't have many experiences with those groups. Sometimes the religious ones try to evangelize me, and it's rather annoying. I think an extremely liberal student would feel out of place at OU. Most students wear jeans and T-Shirs to class. Different types of students don't interact very much, I think. I don't think that the four tables are that describable---college isn't like high school! One might be a group of sorority girls or frat boys, but other than that, I can't really describe them. People aren't that easy to put into boxes. Most OU students are from Oklahoma or Texas. Their financial backgrounds are middle class. Most students aren't politically aware/active, but many are. Most people are right-wing. People don't really talk about how much they'll earn in one day, in my experience.

The stereotypes regarding football and Greek organizations are true of some people, but, for the most part, no.

Some professors know my name---those professors that I've had. But they don't know me very well. That's one thing I miss from high school---interaction with my instructors and great intellectual discussions with them. I've had many favorite classes---my honors colloquium (Race and U.S. Cinema), Indian Epics, Mythology/Folklore, Politics and Literature, the Bible as Literature, some of my German classes, British Women Writers, and Arthurian Legend/Lit. I've also had some terrible ones, mostly because the teacher was bad---Calc II, Contemporary/Modern Native American Literature, Native Peoples of North America. The amount that students study is highly variable. Some study a lot, some study very little. In my experience, class participation is not very common. Usually the same five people or so are the only ones participating. I don't think most people have intellectual conversations outside of class---I wish I had someone to do that with, though. I'm competitive, and other students are, too, but not all of them or even most of them. The most unique classes I've taken have been Indian Epics, Bible as Literature, and Race and U.S. Cinema. My major is English. The department is okay---some good professors, some bad ones. I don't spend time with professors outside of class. I would if I could, but I'm too timid to go to their office hours. The academic requirements are just fine. I think the education is more geared toward getting a job, which I sadly regret. Learning for its own sake should be emphasized, too.

Some stereotypes about OU might include that students care more about football than academic activities and that everyone is in a Greek organization. Also, people tend to lump OU with Oklahoma, and they see Oklahoma as a middle of nowhere Wild West type of place or a place in which only Native Americans live. Essentially, it's like the musical "Oklahoma."

The most popular organizations are the honors societies and Greek organization. I'm involved with English Club---it's not very big, but it's interesting. We do a book drive every year. Students leave their doors to their dorms open when they're inside their dorms or nearby but not otherwise. Athletic events are extremely popular, theater not so much. Some guest speakers are popular, some aren't. I know nothing about the dating scene. I met my closest friends in the dorms, in English Club, and randomly. At 2 a.m., I'm either studying or wasting time on my computer. I know nothing about traditions/events except Homecoming. People party a lot, but not everyone. Frat/Sororities are important to many, but not to all. Last weekend I worked, did homework, and ate out. On a Saturday night, you can go to the movies or eat. Off-campus, I shop, eat, etc.

Mark

The best thing about OU is its size. Because it is a big university it has more options for study and majors. Most people don't react to me attending OU, just because lots of people in Norman are attending OU. It's a state school.

I don't think anyone would necessarily feel out of place here. There are so many organzations with different racial, religious, or political views that any

Probably not in the 200 person 1000 level classes most departments have. If the class is 50 or less, and you talk occasionally in class, the prof probably knows your name.

Greek organizations seem to be popular. OU/Texas football weekend is the biggest event each year.

University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.