University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus

« See more reviews of University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus

The University of Oklahoma is known for its great athletics department including an awesome football team, but they are also known for the academic excellence in the school with the highest number of National Merit Scholars in the country. We also have a huge international student populaiton that allows for a wide range in sociocultural diversity. There are also over 150 different majors that allows students the freedom to figure out what they are really intereseted in. So it is not just one thing OU is known for but more a collaboration of great aspects.

THE OKLAHOMA SOONER FOOTBALL TEAM! Our Sooners are the best in the nation, and there is nothing like gameday in Norman, OK. The entire state converges on Norman to party, have fun, and watch the Sooners dominate. Then, our stadium is packed with 85,000 of the craziest, loudest, most loyal fans in the country. It is literally pandamonium. Our school is steeped in football tradition, with 7 national titles and the three greatest coaches of all time: Bud Wilkenson, Barry Switzer, and Bob Stoops. All in all, OU is the best football school in the nation!

While we have a thriving academic community at OU, we are best known for our football team. There is something magical about Sooner football. Their is something special about crimson and cream that binds us together not only as fans of a team, but as a collective community committed to excellence and proud of its history. Before each football game, a video plays that ends with the saying, "There's only ONE Oklahoma!" I believe this is not only a reference to the players on the field, but to the Sooner Spirit that abounds at our university.

OU is most known for its greek life and Big 12 sports involvement. We offer several degree program choices with the highest of education standards. Overall OU is well known for its large campus but retaining the core value of being known as a student and not a number. Therefore classes are still kept small, with larger lectures available as well. The entry qualifications keep the number of students to the best of the best and big enough for fun but small enough for a firm education. OU is number one!

OU college life offers you new independence — so it’s up to you to manage your time, take care of your studies and control your finances. Leaving home for college means you’ll be exploring a new place, making new friends and setting your own priorities. You’re going to face big changes in a small amount of time, which can be both exciting and intimidating. College is full of resources – professors, tutors, counselors and advisors – and help is available, but it’s up to you to ask for it.

My school is best known for being a Big-12 school that feels like a down-home family. We have amazing school spirit, a championship-winning athletic department, an active and unstoppable student body, and a small welcoming Norman community that makes every student feel at home. With over 20,000 students I have experienced all the benefits of studying at a large universtiy, all the while feeling like I was studying at a small, family-oriented school.

The University of Oklahoma is best known by the outside world for the athletics; however, anybody that knows somebody that graduated from the University of Oklahoma knows they received an exceptional education and is well prepared for life after school. It is understood that the environment of the university mixed with the education of the university is one of the best in the country, and employers of the work force recognize this.

By far, my favorite campus tradition is the Boomer Sooner chant at football games. For those who don't know, at home games one side of the stadium yells "Boomer" in unison and the other side of the stadium yells back "Sooner!" It is so awesome to hear all the Sooner fans united! Another one of my favorite traditions is our rival football games. The Red River Rivalry (OU vs. Texas) and Bedlam (OU vs. OSU) are so much fun to watch!

The University of Oklahoma is beyond a research university known for academic excellence and affordability, but the university is an exceptional place to further your education. The University of Oklahoma is filled with a Sooner family who unconditionally supports and encourages one another to seize opportunities and challenges each other to set higher stands to achieve greater accomplishments outside the classroom walls.

The University of Oklahoma is known for one thing, their football program. The University of Oklahoma always has one of the best collegiate football teams in the nation which the University takes pride in. The University of Oklahoma's medical field is also one of the top medical fields in the country. Their library, which is rarely known, was ranked in the top 15 libraries in the country as well.