University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus

« See more reviews of University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus

Being in a fraternity myself, and having joined after completing my freshman year here at OU, I believe that OU is, indeed, very "Greek." I came to OU with the same stereotypes that everyone else did about fraternities, thinking of those involved with them as having bought their friends, but after giving Greek life a try, I discovered that this stereotype is completely inaccurate, and it is somewhat amazing that it persists despite being repeatedly disputed. Here at OU, fraternities and sororities participate in virtually every community service project that is offered in the area, and on top of that, many Greek organizations go out of their way to create their own opportunities to serve the community and their common campus.

depends on how you look at it... I am not in the Greek system but many of my friends are. Just because someone is not greek does not mean they are noot allowed to greek parties. I go to frat parties all the time. When it comes to football, it is HUGE on campus but that's something that makes us who we are. If you don't like football, who cares? No one will come to your room and be like "WHY AREN'T YOU AT THE GAME!" but at the same time, if you do go to the games, it is SO much fun.

Football is the bloodlife of the place and it does play an important role to the OU identity. However, that doesn't mean one has to go to an OU game to be a student there. I didn't attend one OU football event while there and could care less about football. The student population seems to divide among those who love football and those who do not. There is a place for everyone.

OU fans and students definitely live for football. Game days are a truly unique experience. I never experienced the snobby stereotype that I had been warned about. There are quite a few wealthy kids from OKC and Tulsa that go to OU in comparison to Oklahoma State or other schools in OK and I can see how this stereotype could get started.

In some ways yes. Alot of people at OU don't feel the desire to meet others but most of them are in Fraternities and Sororities. They already have friends in their houses. But most students are very friendly and fun to be around. I have really enjoyed meeting people around campus.

Definitely not! OU was not my number one choice until I visited there. I being from Alabama thought I was going to hear just about the football team on the campus tour. On the contrary, the school was very interested in my academics and was the friendliest university I visited.

Every college has the stereotypes above. Do we have stuck up people? Yes. Do we have people that are fanatics about football? Oh yeah. Should this concern anyone about going to OU? No. Learning to deal with all types of people is what the college experience is about.

Yes and no. No, the students aren't hicks. The majority of kids here love football, but there is a sizable minority that couldn't care less (myself included). And half (probably more, actually) of all OU students are decidedly non-Greek, many even being anti-Greek.

Definitely not. The expense is comparable to other universities and actually are lower than some of the other universities; the admissions process and the classes are comparable to other colleges and most of the processes are online so it makes it much easier.

Yes and no. Many people "go greek" because it's a great way to meet people. But since everyone lives in the dorms their freshman year, it's not hard to get to know new people.