University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus

« See more reviews of University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus

Absolutely, 100% inaccurate. Sports power a lot of what goes on at OU and the football program alone generates a ton of money for the university. One thing people don't realize is that OU is one of three universities that have self-sustaining athletic programs. So before you complain about Bob Stoops getting six million dollars a year but your desk is broken in a classroom, remember that NO money is taken from academics and given to the athletic department. If fact, last year the athletic department donated seven million dollars to help fund an addition to the OU library. So a huge misconception about OU is that football comes before academics and football sucks money from the school. Which is completely untrue. It's actually quite the opposite. NO, ZERO, ZILCH money is taken from scholarships, academic funds or anything else and given to the athletic department. The athletic department generated over 70 million dollars last year and did it ALL ON ITS OWN. The academic aspect of OU and the athletic department are two totally separate entities.

Just as with every university, there are all of these stereotypes but I think the fantastical is what people like to hear. Yes, there are the partiers, the football fanatics and those who on't pay attention to what is going on in the world around them. However, this doesn't define us. We have intellectuals that can, at times, rival a professor in a debate, people who could care less about the game of football and still others who came to OU for a good education...not to party. Stereotypes are common at every school. Students coming out of high school need to understand that every university will have incredible diversity, but it all has to do with them opening up their eyes and stepping into it. They cannot rely on the information of what is fantastical but on what is observable.

I think our school pride can sometimes get out of hand, but by no means do I hate any other school and I don't think I know anyone that does. During the OU/UT game things can get a little heated and you definitely don't want to be in the middle of it and you definitely will be harrassed if you go to Dallas for the game; there is some real hatred there; and there is no reason for it, except that our school pride clashes with theirs. As for OSU I view them as a little brother that we just can't let them beat us, but we really want them to do well, I think that is how most students feel toward them. and as for the rest of our conference, of course we like our school better than theirs but I have no feelings of hate toward them and I don't know anyone who does.

None of these stereotypes are accurate and they really demean a great campus. OU's campus has some of the most visually appealing buildings I have seen on a campus. They are architecturally great and provide everyone with a homely small university feel. We also have many amazing lanscape projects. The stereotype about the students and community is generally untrue. You do have some religious affiliations that are stronger than others, but it does not affect university life at all. Our staff does happen to be particurally liberal and are very open to their views through classrooms and outside of class. Norman is a town of 100,000 plus people and is very educated as a town and many people would not label the community as redneck if you came and visited.

With seven official national championships and the longest winning streak in University football history (47 consecutive wins from 1953-1957), it can certainly be said that OU boasts a proud football tradition. Campus is transformed into one large tailgate on gamedays and everyone sports the crimson and creme. Greek life takes center stage in many campus activities such as Homecoming, U-Sing, and Scandals. However, it is not necessary for a college experience. Many other social groups form around religious organizations, ethnic backgrounds, and academic interests.

I can see how OU is similiar to UT compared to the other schools in Oklahoma, OU is the biggest and I could see how Norman as a city could be compared to Austin. As far as the stereotype about the students being snobby it can go both ways. You do run into those people who walk around thinking that they are the greatest thing, but then you have those really down to earth people as well. However, anywhere you go you are going to have both kinds of people so I don't think it really effects OU as a school.

i think for the most part they are. most of the very nice cars around campus belong to greek students. as for the football players, i have had classes with several players. in my experience the more popular/recognizable players payed less attention in class and took their tests in different areas than the rest of us. i have also had classes with some younger, less recognizable players, and they had people checking up on them to make sure they were going to class.

Not everyone who goes to OU is from the country and redneck. Not everyone is rich, but a lot of people who go here come from money. Fraternity guys drink a lot, but they're not stupid. Sorority girls are not all bitches. And yes, everyone loves the football games bc we're so good. It's about 50/50 from Texas and Oklahoma.

For the general, in-state population, there are a large number of baptists, and several are from farms. However, not everyone at the university fits into these stereotypes and stereotypes are generally too broad and inclusive to be accurate, but they are based in reality.

They are somewhat accurate. There is a lot of diversity and there are a lot of activities, but you have to look for it. The Greek system just presents itself as the only outlet for activity, leaving students to believe it's the only thing to do.