University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus

« See more reviews of University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

You see every thing...Some people are from the small towns in far off Oklahoma. Everyone is fairly easy to get along with. No one seems really too different from any where else. I have lived in several states and grew up in three different university towns-two in Ohio(Athens/Cincinnati) and here. There are probably more conservatives here in the Bible Belt, but I have always met up with plenty of liberal types as well! Over the years the people I have met here are any where from country to sophisticated and everything in between. One interesting genre here is the real live Indians you see. Driving on campus one evening before dusk three Indians were sitting in a circle beating on drums and I think I heard chanting. That only happened once for me. The language department offers classes in various Indian tribe dialect.

Some stereotypes about OU might include that students care more about football than academic activities and that everyone is in a Greek organization. Also, people tend to lump OU with Oklahoma, and they see Oklahoma as a middle of nowhere Wild West type of place or a place in which only Native Americans live. Essentially, it's like the musical "Oklahoma."

One of the biggest stereotypes about OU is that it is a very Greek university, and that much of the student lifestyle on campus is centered around being involved in a fraternity or sorority. Many of the students then, are seen by some as fitting the stereotypical fraternity or sorority image, which involves being stuck up, rich, etc.

I'm not sure how other people stereotype OU and its students but I always thought it was somewhere that people from the middle of the country and a few from the coasts would go to. I didn't think that many people outside the country knew about it, or even considered it.

Some of the typical stereotypes are the following: it is to expensive to attend OU; the admissions process is extremely strict and average students need not apply; and the classes are harder.

OU student stereotypes? Sure, let's list some things that my UT friends like to laugh about. All OU students are 1)hicks who 2)LOVE football and 3)are Greek.

OU is considered to be a "football school". There is also sometimes talk of OU and OU Students as being "stuck up" and a "party" school.

OU's students are snobbish and spoiled (in-state stereotype). OU is nothing but a football school (out-of-state stereotype).

Football is life and everyone knows or cares about the Texas-OU rivalry. Greek life is a major part of the university system.

For my response to this, check out- What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?