University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

Frat kids and jocks

Coming in to OU I didn't really know of any specific stereotypes other than the typical college student. After living on campus for almost a full academic year I would have to say that greek life plays a huge role in the daily lives of a large portion of the students. It is not unusual to see a guy walking down the south oval in bright pastel shorts with a matching brand name polo shirt.

No. Many people think that the University of Oklahoma is a majority white campus. However, we have a large portion of hispanic, asian, and African American students

I'm from Dallas and go to OU, so in high school, OU was pretty much known as the school you go to when you can't get into UT or A&M. So slackers, Oklahoma rednecks, etc. Unfortunately, I've met a lot of people who do fit this stereotype--I was shocked by how many people I met who came here because they didn't get into their first choice state school. But I also found out that over 200 National Merit scholars come here every year because of OU's big National Merit package, and most people who grow up in Oklahoma don't think of going to an out of state school, so Oklahoma's brightest students typically end up here. So if you're looking for a more academic community, I would recommend living on the National Merit floor, which is where I live. There are a lot of people who are typical nerds, but there are also a lot of kids who are totally normal and just need to stay focused in college. The floor is typically really quiet, and everyone (at least 90{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the people on the floor) is really nice.

Philip

There are several stereotypes to the University of Oklahoma. Several such stereotypes is that we are a "party school" and everyone gets drunk everyday. As such, OU is known for frat and sorority kids. Alternatively, another stereotype is that many people that go to the University of Oklahoma are pretty smart; which is an accurate statement. OU is no easy school to get into, nor is it an easy school to attend. In order to get into and stay in OU, being productive and keeping up is paramount. Another stereotype is that we are very competitive when it comes to sports, especially college football. This is also true; our students tend to bash on other college teams we compete against, especially against our rival school of OSU.

Menglu

hard working student

Athletes are considered dumb and lazy. They are considered pampered and recipients of whatever they want. Frat kids are stereotyped as drunks and stand apart from everyone else. They all wear similar things that make them very noticeable from the regular student population.

n

The most common stereotype is Frat kids. They are easily distinguishable in that they wear polo shirts and khaki pants or shorts. They can usually be seen sporting Sperry's and a polo baseball cap or visor worn backwards. You will very rarely, if ever, see them wearing jeans, and tennis shoes are not worn unless they are at the gym. The second most common stereotype is sorority girls. As for their day-to-day clothing, they usually wear leggings and oversized shirts or sweaters, either from their sorority, or a fraternity. They will be found wearing white tube socks that come up a little over the ankle and nike tennis shoes. NorthFace zip up jackets are worn for outerwear. As soon as the first drop of rain or snow flurry is to be found, they immediately break out the rain boots. On Thursday through Saturday night, its all short skirts and dresses or heels. With perfectly placed makeup that is borderline excessive, and hair straight from a magazine cover they are ready to go out. Other than those stereotypes, the students are pretty average looking, with the occasional individual who believes the costume isle in Walmart in october is an acceptable place to go clothing shopping.

Ty

The biggest stereotype of our school is the friendliness and all-around hard working attitude of our students. I truly believe this stereotype to be correct. While we do have stereotypes such as jocks, frat kids, stoners, and geeks, the lines are much more blurred than in any other environment. Walking down the South Oval every morning, I smile and greet everyone I pass, and I am not the only one to do so! At the University of Oklahoma, there is an attitude of ambition and diligence that is shared by all. When cheering on our football team, we chant "There is Only One Oklahoma." The coaches expect their players to do their best, as do the professors expect us to do our best. People don't come to college to screw around, they come because they want to be here, and they work hard for it.

Colby

I would say that the stereotype of OU is that it is heavily Greek. While this is true to an extent, there is much more variety at this school than it is given credit for. There is a growing hipster population at OU, and there are also plenty of hippies and exchange students. One thing that all of the students at OU seem to have in common is that they all seem to live and breathe Sooner football (even the hipsters). Almost every student participates in tailgating for every home game throughout the fall, joining the additional 100,000+ Sooner fans who converge on the town.

The University of Oklahoma has somewhat of a reputation of being a party school, this reputation applied most strongly to the greek students. While many students are involved in greek activities and students are (sadly) often judged by their peers on which house they belong to, partying is not any more popular at OU outside the greek system as it is anywhere else. Many greek students seem to really enjoy partying; however, there are students in every house that do not subscribe to the typical greek partying lifestyle. While regular, frequent partying and drinking are the norm among some students, they are not the norm for the campus as a whole.

Jonny

The common stereotype of students at OU is that every student is heavily involved with the greek community. This includes all the stereotypes of heavy drinking, partying, and avid football watching. To an extent, this is true. OU has a strong greek influence, but by no means is it the only community on campus.

Adrienne

One stereotype at the University of Oklahoma is that the majority of the students are involved in Greek Life. Walking around campus, you would assume that this is accurate because the environment of the campus is greek-oriented. In reality, the University of Oklahoma is home to a somewhat small percentage of greek students. There are currently 4,500 students involved in a greek organization at the University of Oklahoma.

Kyler

The University of Oklahoma prides it's self on the diversity of their Student body. This University has a group for everyone and really tries to give everyone an opportunity to meet people who are similar to themselves. They have an almost unlimited amount of groups, organizations, events, concerts, a great greek life, and many more different opportunities to meet your future friends. You are guaranteed to find your life friends here either in class, greek life, multiple different organizations, or just walking across campus. There is only one Oklahoma!

The University of Oklahoma has a HUGE Greek community and if you choose not to be a part of it, you will most likely hang out with non-Greeks. Don't get me wrong, non-Greeks are not really "geeks" they just kind of stick together and the Greeks stick together. I think is a semi-accurate stereotype because it does cause a separation, but probably for the better. If you did not choose to be Greek, then you obviously do not have the same interests as someone that did.

Alia

For the most part, I think OU has a fairly good mix of students. You'll find people from all walks of life on this campus. It is notable that Greek life is pretty big on this campus and is a predominantly Caucasian campus as well. However, what cultural student organizations lack in numbers, they make up for in involvement and vitality. I love the student organizations I'm a part of and there are plenty of opportunities to find a second family here (over 400 student organizations!).

Nor

There is no actual stereotype exist at OU. Everybody is pretty nice and easygoing. Sure, there are some frat boys doing some shenanigans among themselves and pretty sorority girls going around having fun. But, most of them are a part of something else and they are nice and interesting people if you get to know them better. Regarding the football fans, I can say that we are all die-hard fans of the Sooner football team.

Growing up in Oklahoma, I often heard about OU. Growing up a musician who preferred math, language, and international studies to alcohol-fueled parties, I disliked everything I heard. "EVERYONE there is Greek. If you're not Greek at OU, you're a nobody." "OU is a joke, all anyone ever does there is party." I think it's understandable that I developed quite the prejudice against the university; however, I was nonetheless incredibly mistaken and misguided. On move-in day, despite spending half the day sick from convincing myself that my world was about to come crashing down around me, I was surprised to meet refreshingly "regular" guys in my hall. We had diverse, interesting majors; we all missed our friends; and none of us were rushing. Throughout the year, as I made more friends, the stereotypes continued to break down. Of course, I certainly met many people in the Greek system and many others who were part of the party culture - often times, these people were one in the same. More often than not, however, we found common ground, and I now have dozens of friends in fraternities and sororities. It is true that a fraction of OU students are Greek, and that some heavily rely upon the party culture. However, I don't believe it is significantly more than any other university, and as it turns out, it is entirely possibly to befriend these people without being influenced to change your own lifestyle.

I think the biggest stereotype about students at OU is that you absolutely have to be Greek in order to be "someone". I can tell you first hand that this is simply untrue! I joined a sorority the beginning of my freshman year, and ended up dropping out because that house just wasn't the best fit for me. I spent the majority of my freshman year not being greek, and I had the time of my life! I made so many outside friends through my hall, other organizations, and classes that I didn't even notice who was greek and who wasn't. To be honest, I did want to join another sorority because I knew thats where my heart was. I ended up rushing again at the beginning of my sophomore year and now I am in the most perfect house with sisters that I love to death! While I won't deny that there are great number of undergrad students join a greek organization, it is definitely not essential if that is something you don't want to do.

Jawanza

Always wear school colors, sweat pants and t-shirts, flip flops and socks and MUST wear Beats headphones by Dr. Dre.

The University of Oklahoma is known for having a very strong Greek presence on campus. Whether it is socializing or charity both fraternities and sororities offer a number of unique advantages to the incoming student. However, there are a number of other opportunities available at OU outside of the Greek system. I myself did not join a fraternity but instead actively participated in cultural organizations such as AFSA, the African Student Association; FFSA, the French and Francophone Student Association; as well as OU Cousins which pairs incoming international exchange students with American "cousins" to provide support and friendship. Whether its Greek or geek OU has an incredible array of educational, cultural and social opportunities.

Tuan-Phat

At the University of Oklahoma, you will meet students from very different walk of life. The University offers a friendly environment for everyone. Some stereotypes that people may encounter when hearing about the University of Oklahoma may concern Greek life. People often think of fraternities and sororities from a negative aspect. One common reflection is that Greeks party all the time and are not as studious as other students. I am myself a member of the Greek community at OU and used to think that way but those stereotypes are wrong. Fraternities and Sororities give students opportunities to develop their leadership abilities, increase their social interaction skills and help them get involved in the community through services events.

Minh

Being that a university is much bigger than a high school it is hard to find a stereotype that could be applied for the whole school. The university is big enough and diverse enough to support many different type of niches and groups so that if you want to look for a particular stereotype you could find it. However to answer your question the stereotype is that everyone is a football fanatic or at the very least a Sooner fan! For the most part yes this is true. The Oklahoma Sooner are an amazing football team and it would be hard NOT to be proud to call them your home team. It's built into the very culture of the university. With every home game the stadium is colored crimson and cream with all the fans and students. There are tailgates set all around by many different organizations. There is the famous OU-TX rivalry and the Bedlam rivalry that are huge events at the university.