University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus

« See more reviews of University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus

The best thing about OU, for me, is the sheer number of great people that I've met in my time here. I have never felt so close to so many people, and I hope to maintain these relationships throughout my life. The only thing that I really can think of changing at OU is the parking, and Lindsey Street traffic/stoplights. Obviously these are minor issues, but they can become quite annoying. Apart from class, most of my time on campus is spent in the Union. I wouldn't want OU to be any other way as far as size. Probably the biggest recent controversy on campus was the guy who was passing around the crazy fliers on campus. Some say it's free speech, and others say he was definitely infringing on the rights of others. OU's school pride is famous. Boomer Sooner! OU doesn't really have a dead week. I'd say that's pretty unusual. I will remember every single football game that I attended at the University of Oklahoma. There's nothing like them. In short, I guess I think OU is pretty awesome. Can't think of myself being much more happy than this.

In my opinion, the best thing about OU is football season. Most social functions in the fall semester seem to revolve around it, including the annual trip to Dallas in early October for the Red River Rivalry between OU and Texas. Almost every student from both schools travels to Dallas for the weekend, and the experience is comparable to a college spring break. The one thing that I would change about the school is the parking situation, which is terrible. The best place to hang out around campus is Campus Corner, which is the primary bar and shopping area for OU. The school has a real college town feel to it, even though the population of Norman is over 120,000. The social scene here is outstanding, as one would expect of a school with over 20,000 undergrad attendees. The school administration is good overall, especially since President Boren has been here. Before Boren arrived, the school was known strictly as a "football school". It has now come to the point that it is a school that I will be very proud to have received a degree from.

If you find your niche in OU, it can really be an amazing. I definitely felt lost in the huge student body my freshman year. I didn't really make new friends, felt lost in my classes, and didn't enjoy much of anything. Upon joining Alpha Phi Omega, the co-ed service fraternity, I found who I belong with and my experience satisfaction skyrocketed. The campus is beautiful, Oklahomans are always nice, and I live for Saturday OU Football. Of course there are downfalls for every school. Financial aid and help can be very scarce. I have had issues every semester with our financial aid office which has caused me to take semesters off and they don't seem to care about the students there, only about new ones. Parking is also a HUGE donwfall. They sell too many passes in ratio to spots available so during busy times of the day you can get stuck parking a 20 minute walk away. However, with those two major annoyances, I continue to love the university and wouldn't want to experience college anywhere else.

The best thing about OU is definitely football game days. Specifically OU/TX weekend. It is amazing to be a part of a group of fans that huge and that in love with a team. If I had to change something it would be the size of the Greek system. The Greek society at OU is massive and it is very difficult to get involved and meet friends without being a part. This is also a good thing in some ways, as it is an extremely rewarding and enjoyable experience to in a sorority/fraternity. I think the size of OU is just right. I met new people in every class during college, but I also never walked to class without seeing a familiar face. On campus I spent most of my time at the beautiful library. The architecture at OU is this amazing red brick/gothic style and the library is one of the best examples. Even though I didn't much care for all the studying...the building was a gorgeous setting. Definite college town. OU rules the Norman community and everyone in town owns at least one OU car flag.

Before I even stepped foot at OU, I knew that they had the best school pride and greatest traditions. Now that I am a student here, I can see that nothing compares to what it feels like to be apart of it. Sooners stick together and are always willing to lend a helping hand to a fellow Sooner. Every single Sooner is family. Football games are possibly the greatest experience you will have as an OU student. To hear the "Boomer Sooner" chant echo throughout the stadium at home games is the best feeling. The faculty and staff are top scale. While every school has professors that are not the greatest, OU professors sincerely want you to do well, and will do anything to help you succeed. I can tell you first hand that even the "meanest" or "strictest" teachers will come around when you contact them and give them an opportunity to help you. Even though OU is not considered small by any means, it feels like a small university. The campus is pretty compact so nothing is out of walking distance.

Understandably, some students would rather attend a small school where one-on-one attention is easily attainable and one could have the chance at being a big fish in a small pond. OU truly is a huge school where students could easily get lost without direction. Thankfully, we have great advisers and staff here who help us weave through our college courses and make the best of our college years. I'm sure there are some horror stories but, honestly, I'd like to see someone try to find a campus where everyone is agreeable. There is also opportunity to get that one-on-one attention during your professors' office hours or the free tutoring offered on campus. As far as being recognized on such a large campus, with so many students, if you can push yourself to be the big fish in an ocean rather than those little ponds, imagine how far you can go after college.

Here's the deal: I love OU. I grew up in Texas, never even considering any college in Oklahoma, but my parents had me apply because they had heard that OU has generous academic scholarships. When I visited the campus I made up my mind that I wanted to go to OU. Specifically, I love that the campus feels small and manageable despite the fact that it is a large school. Norman is a smaller suburb and is centered around the university, but there is more to the town than just the campus. Norman is close to Oklahoma City too, so even if it's too quiet here, you can just take a short drive north and find something to do. Football has influence here. Even if you're not a huge fan of football, game days can be entertaining. I wasn't a fan myself until I went to my first game and heard the stadium yell "Boomer Sooner"!

I love OU and I love Norman. It's a very fun town with enough stuff to do. Game days are incredible, people start setting up tents on Wednesday and on Saturday it is packed. There are people and parties and booths everywhere. It is a big school, but once you find your niche you don't notice. I prefer the big school. There are always new people to meet and if you want to avoid someone it's possible. Football games are a blast. You're surrounded by strangers, but you have one thing in common and you'll find yourself high-fiving and hugging them. There is a huge level of excitement and unity. The union is pretty nice with a variety of food places. Internet is accessible everywhere. The dorms are a ton of fun freshmen year. There's a real sense of community.

OU is a large college with many different disciplines to choose from. You must be dedicated and utilize your first two years as an exploration process to review what you want to do. If I could change anything, it would be to require that Freshman and Sophomore students take only the general education classes instead of skipping around within different disciplines. Soak up the lessons learned for the first two years and then decide your career path. OU's administration are human and they can make mistakes, but as a college student, you must be willing to accept some responsibility for your education. Do not expect them to walk you through every process and take some initiative in researching possible careers and the degree plans that go along with them.

I LOVE OU. That's the best way to put it. I transferred from a very small, mostly non-traditional student, university and I was so nervous because OU can be very intimidating. I felt so silly for being nervous once I got started! The classes aren't all huge, I've actually only had one class that was over 30 students. Everyone is super friendly and the professors are AMAZING and have very prestigious backgrounds. You can't help but feel pride for going to OU, we have top ranked academic programs, an amazing athletics department, tons of campus organizations, and great night life. Another thing I really love is that the administration truly cares about the students and goes out of their way to get input and feedback so they are constantly improving.