University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus

« See more reviews of University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus

The best thing is my boyfriend Jake is here. The worst thing is that he's been neutered so I have to initiate everything if you know what I mean.

good

Best thing: The incredible amount of diversity we have here on campus! On any given day you will here more than 20 languages being spoken. I have made friends for life from students as far away as Europe, South America and the Middle East. Change: I would change how disconnected it feels here at times. There are so many people here that at times you may not see anyone you know here on campus all day. Still I feel for how big it is, there is still connection. School: Is slightly large but incredible to be here. Reaction: Unless they are from OSU or OSU (Oklahoma State) fans then they see it as a great university, one of the best in the Big 12. Most time: Since I am a writer for the Daily and also a journalism student and anthropology student then most of my time is spent on the South Oval in Gaylord Hall and Dale Hall. Copeland Hall is where our newsroom is so I spend an incredible amount of time in there. When I need to eat, the Campus Corner district is my first choice because of the delicious Cafe Plaid. College town: I'm not sure it is either college town or not. We have a healthy blend of people. There is an area where it is decidedly influenced by students, but go a few miles off and you see ordinary life. OU administration: At times they can be frustrating, but I feel they do a fair job. Since President David Boren has been here we have had the opportunity to hear some of the greatest leaders of our country. Former President Bill Clinton and Colin Powell are some of the names he has brought here. Recent controversy: One of the "fraternities" the Ruf/Neks (One of OU's football cheering organizations) was caught hazing. The administration cracked down on it and things have been better. Pride: Come for a football game and you will find out! Unusual: I would say unusual is an odd word to use. Life is usual. We all are different and have no specific identity as humans that have been forced on us. So, we are usual. OU students all have different views of life and ways of living it. So I think that as any university is, so are we. Remembering: The people here. I will always cherish the conversations here with people I agreed or disagreed with. The unique opportunity to meet people of all different cultures has made a profound impact on who I have become and am becoming. Complaints: That sorority girls should stop wearing Ugg boots, they went out of fashion a few years ago!

My ultimate favorite thing about OU is how easily adaptable the campus is. When I first cam to OU I did not know a single soul. When I was dropped off by the parental and saying goodbyes I realized I would be nine hours away from anything I was familiar with. I was scared about this new venture called college for about a minute before the campus opened its arms to me. Offering me all of its friendly people, an assortment of clubs to join, and free activities every weekend it wasn’t hard to fall in love with OU. Friendly people were not hard to find. Some could call it “southern charm” but I feel OU has its own unique hospitality. Perhaps it is the environment. From the beautiful red brick campus to across the street for the eclectic shops on campus corner it is hard not be in a superior mood. If I could I would change how technically advanced the entire school is. Some buildings are equipped but, most are not. OU is is just right in terms of size. The campus is large, but it's all closely nit. Same for the number of students enrolled. It's definitely larger and a step up from high school but not so many people it is impossible to run into a friend. Since I am from Texas... people are generally "What the eff?" when I tell 'em I am going to OU. I would say I spend most of my time on campus at the Bookmark which is a little coffee house downstairs in the library. OU is the ULTIMATE college town everything is built around the university in Norman and the city is only fifteen minutes away. I have been able to get to know administration on campus by being involved in various campus activities and they are superb. They are extremely helpful and always take the time to really listen to students. The biggest recent controversy on campus was probably last year when one of our football players was illegally accepting gifts and was kicked off the team. School pride is eminent here. It's neat to go to a respected and well-known school. Something unusual about OU is there is supposedly some secret tunnels underground.. Creepy. An experience I'll always remember is how I have slowly become somewhat of a football fan since I went to my first game. I never thought anything could make me a football fan. Lack of parking space is perhaps the most frequent complaint from not only the students but the faculty as well.

The best thing about OU, to me, are probably the teachers and the friends I have made. I feel OU is just right, not too big and not too small. Usually when I say I attend OU people are very positive about it and say they have known or know people that graduated from OU. When I am on campus it is usually in Kauffman Hall which is where a lot of the language majors are located. I grew up in Norman so I never looked at is as a "college town," it is home to me, and has turned into a home for a lot of students who are not from Norman. I have never had too big of a controversy with a teacher, but often I have found that people in charge of things do not like to be told they are wrong or anything they have done is wrong. I am sure there are a lot of controversies that are not openly talked about on campus, but one recent frustration with a lot of students was that a parking lot, a perfectly good parking lot was repaved. This would not be so frustrating if the parking lot had not been just for teachers, the parking lot did not need to be repaved in the first place, and the bathrooms in almost every building are in terrible shape. A few of them have shower curtains for doors. I do not believe, if the student's voices were actually listened to, that any student would vote to repave a perfectly good parking lot over fixing the bathrooms in any of the buildings. President Boren and other administrators pretty much do whatever they want to with our ever-increasing tuition and fees. There is school pride, but mostly just in football, which is extremely unfair to all the other atheletes and students. The most frequent student complaints are that fees each semester cost more than tuition; fees that a lot of the student's do not even use! For example, there will be fees for the buses, for using the medical center, computer fees, library fees, all sorts of fees that you cannot get taken off and is extremely unfair and ridiculous. When a student is not using the buses, or has their own insurance, they should not have to pay for it, yet there is no way to get around it. A lot of students feel like President Boren and the rest of his "crew" do not care about us and our achievements, they do not care if we succeed or fail, as long as, at the end of the day, they have their money in their pocket.

The best thing about OU is the campus. It is so beautiful and welcoming. I love walking to class. It is also a very compact campus. It is very easy to walk from one end to the other in less than 15 minutes. If I could change one thing I would change the hours of the library. It is very hard to find time in the middle of the day to go study. Normal hours are 7:30am-2:00am. Sometimes you just need to be there all night. I feel like the campus is "just right" in size. I always run into people I know on campus which is a very nice feeling. I also always have someone to sit by in a class. It is not large enough to where you feel you are not known, heard, or can make a difference. It is also not small enough to where you feel like you do not have enough opportunities. When I tell people I go to OU, i feel they always react with excitement. I think within the state of Oklahoma it is the most respectable school. i spend most of my time on campus in the library. the library is very large and has many little corners you can study in for hours without interuption. There are tons of study rooms and resources. This is definately a college town. There is a great night life and the town really dies down in the summer. Campus corner is amazing. Everything you could want to do is there. There is a ton of school pride. We have a lot of support by the community outside of the campus as well. I would say that football has the biggest following. It is definately a big part of campus life. the one experience I will always remember is trying to climb Evan's Hall. i would not recommend doing this. i got stuck on the second floor fire escape on the outside of the building. Of course the campus police warned all of us. We heard there was a great view from up there, so we thought we would check it out. I still have no idea what it looks like from up there. the most frequent complaint I get is how hard the classes are. You have got to be on top of your game for the tough classes, but there are some fun classes too. Don't overload your semester. The HES department has a lot of fun classes.

I'll make it simple. Best thing about OU: what you make it. One thing I'd change: more coffee local shops around campus Size: 300-student intro classes are RIDICULOUS. You feel like a cog in the giant machine, or a tiny, useless mouse. Otherwise, you generally run into the same people during your daily routines and through activities. "Yeah, I go to OU." Oklahoman response: "Boomer Sooner!" or "Sick. OSU all the way, man." Non-Oklahoma response: "Oh." I spend the majority of my time on benches under beautiful trees, at Cafe Plaid, a three minute bike ride from the Journalism building (which is completely Appled-out--Macs everywhere, best building on campus by far. If not for the campus, Norman wouldn't be on the map in your glove compartment. You should see game days--population doubles and the streets are so deserted I swear tumbleweeds blow by. Administration: I've chatted with President David Boren and his wife on occasion. Both very cool. Mrs. Boren hugs trees as tight as I do and President Boren does cool stuff for his kiddos--in my time here, he's brought Al Gore, Bill Clinton, Joe Klein, and the guy who the movie Hotel Rwanda is based on. Most recent controversy: Some of the dorms lost hot water for a day or two. Something Unusual: We used to have a mascot at basketball games called Top Dawg--this brown dog with a jersey on who'd let little kids pull on his ears. He mysteriously disappeared. I miss that pup. School Pride: OU may define the phrase. Frequent complaints: Ironically, the architecture building needs serious renovation. Dorms are a bit cramped--but what do you expect when you're housing thousands? Personally, I hate the mornings after a football game--the place looks like it sprouted a field of Budweiser cans overnight. :

My time at OU was great. I enjoyed my scholastic experience, however, towards the end of my education I began to notice some glaring oversights and misplaced priorities. I began to realize that OU was being managed as a business rather than a place of higher education. Many of the benefits and programs were not aimed towards students like me, who were searching more for a liberal education that was both interesting and challenging. I got the feeling that most of the younger students were coming to OU to "make it through" rather than enjoying a college experience. That was a huge difference compared to the first couple of years I spent at OU. I think the pride is there and a great deal of interest, but the blight of campus is that there is too much to lose politically if the school doesn't fit into the right mold. I would have appreciated my time at OU much more if there was more of a vision for the future of the school more than being a political tool for the president of the university. We all loved football at OU, but there is something to be said for a school that can raise hundreds of millions of dollars within a year, yet tuition continues to rise and professors are still underpaid, the exception being one of the schools most popular and overrated professors, who was more interested in spreading political ideology rather than instructing and allowing students to make up their own minds. All in all, OU was an amazing experience. Through all the crap, there really is a core of interesting and amazing people. You can't allow yourself to get caught up in the hype and just enjoy the freedom of being on a college campus. There is a lot of pressure to join clubs in the first year, but resisting initiation into an organized club was one of the best decisions I made.

I have grown up an Oklahoma Sooners fan since both my parents went here, but that is not the reason I came here. I actually looked for any reason to not come here so that I would not be just following in my parents' footsteps. I couldn't find that reason. Any other school I visited was either too small, too big, not in an ideal town, a school I hated (Texas and A&M), or I just not feel right in the university. OU was just the perfect size, had a beautiful campus, offers almost all majors, has great school spirit, a great football program, a great college town, and great people. The campus corner area is in walking distance of campus and is where almost everyone goes to eat. Every time you go there you are bound to run into someone you know. My favorite thing about OU is football season. It is a great time of the year where everyone on campus can come together and cheer for something they all have in common, the love for Sooner Football. While we didn't do as well as we could have this year I have faith in our team next year once everyone gets off injury. When I am not in the stadium cheering or on campus either studying or going to class, I spend most of my time at my Fraternity House. OU has a great greek life and greek life is a great place to meet some of your best friends you will have for the rest of your life. While I would recommend greek life for anyone because it is so diverse and there are so many different Fraternities/Sororities, there are still countless ways to get involved in this University and meet people who share the same interests. This University is a great place to gain an Education and to grow as an individual and I would not change my decision for anything.