University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus

« See more reviews of University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus

What's the best thing about OU? The food in town is amazing. We have the best restaurants in the state. Name one thing you'd change. The poor water drainage and the shitty roads. Is your school too large, too small, or just right? It's just fine. How do people react when you tell them you go to OU? Now that I live in NYC they are mostly like, "Oklahoma? weird." Where do you spend most of your time on campus? I didn't spend much time on campus. probably the rock climbing gym or the Journalism building. College town, or "what college town?" What kind of a question is this? college town? duh. What's your opinion of OU's administration? Oh it's fine. no complaints no major praises. Our president was a politician. He runs it like one. He has a nice little group of favorite students each year. Honestly I could care less. What was the biggest recent controversy on campus? Well when I was there it was the alcohol policy dry campus and all the bitching and moaning that went on during that whole debacle. A bunch of little babies cried about how they couldn't drink on campus anymore. Most of whom were underage and lived in the dorms anyway. The "strikes" policy was what got on everyone's nerves. Is there a lot of school pride? Does a bear shit in the woods? Is there anything unusual about OU? The weird secret society of Engineers. What's one experience you'll always remember? Anything that happened after 2 a.m. at the duck pond. What are the most frequent student complaints? Probably the roads.

One of the best things about OU is the beautiful campus! The North and South Oval provide an open green space for games of ultimate frisbee or bocce ball. Benches are so plentiful you could practically hop between them, and the flowers are perfectly timed to bloom for Homecoming and Mother's day. The campus buildings, designed in a style coined by Frank Lloyd Wright as 'Cherokee Gothic,' beautifully compliment the landscape, especially when they are lit at night. Although OU may seem big as a freshman, the natural friendliness of the students lends to instant community. Before too long, you'll be waving to hoards as you walk to the Union for lunch or Dale Hall for Zoology. During your strolls down the Michael F. Price walkway, take particular note to watch for the freshman sorority girls - you'll notice that they move in packs often wearing the same windbreaker, designer jeans, date party t-shirt, and uggs. As a freshman, I spent a lot of time at the Union. Both the building and the resident greesy spoon (Crossroads) stay open 24 hours for that all night cram session. Make sure you visit the Sooner Schooner room or Baird lounge, no doubt, the best places for a study group. If you are interested in Campus Involvement, head to the Center for Student Life on the third floor. There will be applications for Campus Activity Council Events (Howdy Week, Homecoming, U-Sing, College Bowl, Mom's Day, Winter Welcome Week to name a few) as well as an outlet to be plugged into the greek and multicultural events on campus.

The best thing about OU is the campus. Of all the college campuses I've seen, ranging from all over the US, OU has one of the best. The size is just right, not huge, and not so small that it feels cramped. People generally mention the musical "Oklahoma" or something about cowboys or southern belles when I tell them I'm attending OU. I spend most of my time on campus in the Union, or in classes. I try not to spend too much time on campus. OU's administration is alright, I suppose. President Boren is extremely considerate and helpful, and thinks very highly of the students attending the university. There was something mentioned today about a cult thinking that Boren is impotent, and the controversy seems to be over if they meant he is stupid, or unable to procreate. There is a lot of school pride, and like most other places, sometimes too much. An unusual thing about OU is that the more money I spend on tuition, the more flat-panel widescreen televisions I see hanging about in places like the cafeteria, the bursar's office, and other places where people don't need to be watching high definition programming. There are several experiences that I will remember, mostly from freshman year and exploring the campus. Students seem to complain about tuition prices, textbook prices, and the fact that none of their classes seem to teach them anything useful, even though they are paying for it.

The best thing about OU is the strive to grow and suceed to become one of the best universities in the U.S. Every year we are receiving more and more donations to improve each of our schools and are currently building six new buildings on campus. I believe the growth makes OU more attractive. OU is a great sized campus for any individual. It provides a good atmosphere for incoming freshman and is highly recognized in that particular area. It has a very homely and small feel for a campus that is this big. When I always say I go to OU it is always a suprise. Many people ask why? I think OU is a great school on the way up and is starting to get highly recognized professors in many departments. Norman is a college town. During the summer, many people leave and it is a very small town. During school though the city is bustling and has a very good nightlife especially with Oklahoma City so close. Our administration is A class. We have David Boren a former 30 year senator that provide great opportunities and leadership for our campus. Our biggest controversy on campus is how to achieve a green friendly campus. We are try to lead the way in energy management and hope to set an example for universities worldwide. School pride is through the roof and we have tons of pride in our many sports teams and show it every way possible throughout Norman.

I have realy enjoyed my time here at OU. I came from a small high school compared to most and was a little scared at being thrown into a huge college like this. My fears were put at rest the moment I got here, it might be a big school but the close knit campus and the people really make it feel like home. I don't feel like I am lost in the crowd and there are so many ways you can get involved and enjoy your time here. I love living in Norman. It does feel like a college town but it also feels like an average city. If you stay right around campus you will feel like Norman was built around the school, there is great shopping, places to eat, and things to do. If you venture farther out though its just like a regular town,which is nice. I enjoy being able to have both parts. The pride here is unbelievable, students love this school so much and it shows everytime there is a game, event or just in everyday life. As you drive around Norman almost every car you pass will have an OU sticker of some sort on it and you can't even count all of the OU flags proudly flying in people's yards. When I graduate I will look back and realize what a great decision going to OU was. I have enjoyed every part of it and grown and learned so much about myself as a person here. I am proud to call this school my own.

Being a kid that grew up breathing crimson and cream, going to OU was all about sports. Sure academics are great and all, but I knew I could get the same pretty much everywhere else. I have loved sports my entire life and no university on the planet can give you the total college sports package like OU. Saturday's in the fall might as well just be a state holiday. Over 100,000 people flood Norman and everywhere you look you see crimson and cream. Fans pack the stadium to see the most successful modern era football team compete. And for four hours, you're part of that. You're part of what happens on the field - living and dying with every single play. Football at OU isn't just about what takes place between the lines. It's so much more than that. It's what you talk about when you go to class Monday. It's why you wear that interlocking OU shirt so proudly. You'd never really find yourself in South Dakota and someone says to you, "Hey, I see you go to OU. How about that journalism school?" No way. It's all about football and school pride. I'd argue with anyone that no one takes more pride in its football and athletics as a whole as OU students. When you're part of this university, you're part of the team. And that's what makes it so great.

My favorite aspect of OU is that it's very large, yet still feels intimate. Rarely am I able to go anywhere without seeing a few people I know. I also love that as you begin to enroll in classes more specific to your major, you find that you have most of the same people in your classes who have similar interests as you and who are there to focus on what you are focusing on. Also, OU has a great reputation around the country, especially for being a state school. I am currently living in New York and it is rare for me to tell a New Yorker I attend the University of OKlahoma without them knowing we're the Sooners or knowing some type of random fact about the school. It makes me incredibly proud. I love how grounded OU is in a rich tradition. Sooner football and home games, OU/TX weekend, homecoming celebrations, parents weekends, and the clock tower are all parts of the University that are not only special to me, but also to many of my fellow students and the alum. Last, I will forever remember the pride and excitement in the air and on every Sooner's face on game days. Hands down, there is nothing like it and nothing to compare it to.

OU is great because it is big enough to meet lots of different, interesting people, but small enough to create a real sense of the university community. I always wished the university had better alumni relations. People always think that OU isn't a great university and that because it is in Oklahoma it must be really boring. Neither of those stereotypes are really true. It is very strong academically and a really fun environment for school. When I was there I spent most of my time in the art school and the library. Norman is definitely a college town. OU's president has done a great job of raising the academic standards as well as trying to find ways to create a more diverse university. They have done a really great job. There is a lot of school pride, especially when it comes to sports like football. The OU campus is one of the prettiest public university campus's in the region. It is small and well landscaped, with buildings that are (mostly) really pretty. I will always remember staying up all night in the great reading room and the student union studying for finals.

Best thing about OU is the deep tradition & the excellence that the university bestows on the value of education. One thing I would change is the parking, parking attendants are really anal. OU is just the right size. People don't react in a negative way when I tell them I am from OU, more in a neutral way. College town for sure, just right out of the big city, but not too far away to be too far. I love OU's administration, David Boren is the best college president in the nation!! Biggest controversy is iSwim, this program that was trying to build a new swimming complex where student parking is. It would have raised tuition and the student body was split half/half on the issue. Tons of school pride! Tradition is a huge thing here, especially among athletics. Nothing really unusual about this campus. I'll remember my time in Delta Delta Delta the most. Greek life is huge here & I really took alot away from it. Frequent student complaints are probably about studying.

One of the best things about OU is the opportunity given to every student to be active in their student community. I loved being involved on campus and also in my sorority. It was a large student body, but also tight-knit at the same time. I came knowing a few people and left with tons of friends and acquaintances. I would change the stoplights on Lindsay street (they are annoying). The school was the perfect size. OU has a great reputation, unless you are talking to someone who goes to OSU. When I was on campus, I practically lived in the Gaylord School of Journalism and Mass Communications. Norman is totally a college town. The administration is great at OU. There is a lot of school pride, especially during football season. I will never forget my experiences as a student ambassador- especially at the opening of the National Weather Center (I took around the head anchor and VP of The Weather Channel). Dorms are usually a complaint, but they have gotten better.