University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus

« See more reviews of University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus

A person should not come to this school unless they are serious about wanting to learn and work hard. I was a straight A student and very organized and motivated in high school, but honestly I have had to work very hard to keep my A status. Granted, I took some advanced classes such as Calculus 2, but it has been hard work. Also, a person who needs a small close environment and small classes should not come here. Although I have some classes that are small (my English class has 19 people ) there are also classes with 350 people.

I wouldn't recommed this university for someone who isn't totally serious or fully committed to their studies and their future. We are hard working students who come from all walks of life. We are diverse and we all share an interest in helping others, preserving history, our native cultures, and the environment. We truly care about our futures and want nothing but the best education possible. The students are at the best interest of the professors. We want to do well and succeed and we won't let anyone get in the way.

This school is actually quite diverse with pockets of many different nationalities, religions, and cultures; many organizations exist in an attempt to encourage students to seek a sense of belonging. However, this fact can and often does lead to the formation of separate groups whose members feel so attached to their own group that they look upon others outside the group with less respect. In addition, The University of Oklahoma is a school with over 20,000 students, so small class sizes are not always possible.

A person who does not like to be busy would not like the University of Oklahoma. I have first hand experiance with this attribute. My roommate was the type of person who was very introverted and did not like to get out there and be involved. She prefered the solitude of our dorm room to the thriving campus life that the University of Oklahoma has to offer. Sure enough, at the end of our first semester, she packed up and headed back home to Plano, Texas because she didn't like the busy feel of campus.

A person who is extremely intent on being a part of a number of organizations should not attend this school. There are more organizations on this campus than even imaginable, and someone who is looking to be a member of every organization possible can be spread too thin and lose interest in their school work, as a consequence of being too involved in extracurricular activities. This person would need to learn how to create a balance to fully develop into a well rounded individual.

Oklahoma University is a great school. You can learn a lot of different disciplines at it. Some ones intelligence level is not necessarily why they are a poor fit for OU though. During my first semester I met a girl, who I became friends with. This girl was intelligent, but she is from a small town and a small school. She told me as a child she always wanted to go to OU but now that she was there it was just to big compared to what she is use to. She decided to transfer.

The University of Oklahoma is a perfect fit for anyone. There are clubs, organizations, classes, sororities, and fraternities for every type of person or interest. Someone who would have a hard time apprectiating diversity might be overwhelmed at OU. There are students and faculty from all over the world on campus, who have contrasting views and backgrounds of others. The diversity on campus is beautiful and someone who is not able to see that might feel uncomfortable.

For a school that strives on excellence, a student that fails to challenge him/herself continuously should not attend this school. A person that simply does not have the spirit to be happy has no place in this school. What a stereotypical state school is and isn't does not matter; the will to find opportunities and to take advantage of them matters. This, and in addition to any institution, is no place for a student who fail to find and pursue happiness.

I think that it is possible for individuals to succeed in any setting, given determination and drive to do so. The University of Oklahoma was a wonderful educational experience, and it offers diverse extracurricular activities. It has student services for a diverse student populations, therefore enabling students from different backgrounds to succeed.

Though the university is open to a diverse group of individuals, there are some who might not adapt well to the university life. Generally, people who come from small towns to this campus struggle to assimilate into the community because they are used to a smaller environment. When choosing to come here one should be prepared for the culture shock.