University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus Top Questions

Margo

Entering the University of Oklahoma as a freshman was overwhelming. I learned my parents were getting a divorce after 30 years of marriage. I had been living this suburban/privilege life and it was ending. As a result of this I realized I must grow up quickly and become an independent and self reliant woman. It became apparent that time management was at the very core of this experience. Finding my rhythm and pulse was key to my educational goals. College life offers you new independence — so it’s up to you to manage your time, take care of your studies and control your finances. Leaving home for college means you’ll be exploring a new place, making new friends and setting your own priorities. You’re going to face big changes in a small amount of time, which can be both exciting and intimidating. College is full of resources – professors, tutors, counselors and advisors – and help is available, but it’s up to you to ask for it. My old world was gone and a new world is awaiting me. I am on a journey to think multiculturalism. Thank you (Yakoke, Merci & Gracias) for your time and consideration.

Umer

I would tell myself to take some college courses while in high school to get a grasp of what college is really like. I would tell myself that life should stay on high school time, wake up early and go to sleep early. My advice to myself would be to stay involved in college, start as a freshman and get internships as soon as possible. I would say “hey leave all the hanging out for the weekends you have free time". Take things serious, this is the starting of your adult life. Although I did not party, I would tell myself to avoid difficult situations that could possibly get you in trouble. Don’t ever cheat or lie to a professor for just a few points or a letter grade. I would tell myself that life will become hard but this is the beginning of something special. These years will go by fast and will throw many challenges your way. You must learn and grow from them, have a great support team. Finally, I would tell myself to manage my finances properly. By doing all these things I would become even more successful than I am today.

My advice to myself as a high school senior would be to take advantage of all that OU has to offer. I came into college thinking that campus activities were lame and unfortunately it took me until I was a junior to realize that college was so much more than football games and parties. During my last two years of college I was able to go on a hot air balloon ride, hear Gulianna Ranic speak, meet award winning author Andrés Neuman, whom I researched for my final capstone paper, and watch a National Championship winning gymnastics team compete. Even better, I was able to do all these things for free! I find myself sometimes thinking about all the other opportunities that I missed and the people I could have met if I would have taken advantage of my campus when I was a freshmen transitioning into college. When I finally realized how amazing my University was, my heart and love for OU grew immeasurably and I wish I could have found and shared this passion when I was a freshmen!

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself not to be afraid. I would tell myself to go for your dreams and do not be afraid to take chances. I would tell myself that you can do this and that you can make it but that you have to be the one to make that decision.

Brenna

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would probably tell myself to take my days one by one. During my transition, every day went by at the speed of light. Everything flashed before my eyes and the semester was already over, in what felt like a week. I would also tell myself to never listen to what others think about you. One day you're going to be successful, and everyone who though badly of you is going to be ashamed of what they had said in the past. Being yourself is an amazing key to success in college. The people you meet here are going to be the friends you keep for life. Would you rather have friends that like you for who you truly are? Or would you rather have friends who sort of like you for who you pretend to be? Nothing is more important than keeping your character and never giving up. There was a time I contemplated not coming to college because no one in my family has previously been, so what would people think of me? I never gave up, and I never will.

Take off your first summer after High School, get a job in the fall-Spring and during that time, decide what you would like to get a degree for. You can still work on music etc. in the meantime. Don't just jump into getting a job immedeately after high school. You'll spend many years wasted. Enjoy your last summer and think about what you want to do in life that you can actually attain getting a career for. Be realistic, but don't be afriad to dream big as well.

Ratnesh

Going back in time to contact my previous self would be conversation that could only end well. I would not hesitate to yell at myself for not doing everything that could have changed my fate for the better. For four years I enrolled in rigorous courses in order to make my high school experience more challenging, but unfortunately I simply did not care enough to pursue scholastic opportunities. In addition to informing myself about academic opportunities, I would sit down with myself and have a good, long talk about what college will do to my personality and perspective towards the world. Not a second I would waste to inform myself about what it truly takes to be happy. From having a nonexistent financial burden to a high self-esteem, I would remind myself about the personal challenges that I can take care of before I move into an institution that would ultimately change my life for the better.

Oh, the advice I would give! Three simple things past Megan! Number one on our list would be, enroll in more concurrent classes so you can graduate college quicker and mover on to getting your marine biology degree in less amount of time. Number two, do NOT give up searching for scholarships; I know it is tiring and you write a lot, but you have the time so do it, you will indeed need it. Number three, wait until the teacher absolutely tells you what you need instead of freaking out and trying to get the books ahead of time. The professors understand if you do not have the book the first week, they get it, they have been in the same situation and will indeed listen to you.

Madelene

Take advantage of more opportunities, and don't take yourself so seriously. When opportunities arise to make friends or to have fun, take them…at least every now and then. Things will not come as easily as they did in high school, but that doesn't mean that they aren't achievable. Stay focused and prioritize the responsibilities that you have, but never forget the ultimate goal of becoming a physician. There is no reason to get down on yourself for silly things, or to feel so alone. Don’t be afraid to ask for help when you need it, because there isn’t any shame in it. Find something that you are passionate about outside of school, and hang onto it. Try not be defined by the successes and failures of those around you, but on your own merit. Comparing apples to oranges will get you nowhere.

If I could go back and talk to my high school self, I can say with confidence that there are two things that, if i had known them in high school, would have made my college transition much easier. First, I would tell myself to learn how to properly study. In high school, it was easy to do nothing more than simply pay attention in class and maintain a 4.0. In college, studying is important because once you learn new material, there won't be time to go back over it every year, like children in the public school system are so accustomed to. In college, it's sink or swim, and learning productive study habits will be your life raft. Secondly, I would tell myself that even though studying is important, it's equally as important to understand that nobody is perfect and by expecting yourself to be the best at everything, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, but college is about learning to use your strengths. All you can do is work hard and know that you've done your best.

The advice I would give myself is to start taking dual credit classes such as english and history so you can be ahead and do not have to retake those classes as well as save some money. I would also tell myself to not stress about college because it is a lot of fun as well as demands a lot of your time so work on time management. I would also mention that I need to attend class no matter how much you do not want to go that day because it could change your grade by one letter. And most of all try your hardest so that you can be satisfied with your grades!

You're going to be alright with the transition, so go do everything you want. It'll be stressful, don't wait, get a therapist as soon as possible, you need it for anxiety. Apply for as many scholarships as possible, you may think you have done enough but you haven't. They're going to increase the tuition rate, just keep applying for scholarships. You're going to have a really awesome GPA, especially second semester, that GPA rocked. You will excell academically, so don't worry. The only things you need to worry about are scholarships and getting help for your anxiety problems.

For starters, I would try to explain the process of time travel and the problems it could create. I would then create credibility by stating randoms facts about myself that only I would know. At this point I would have my full attention and I would begin with the "do nots". firstly the explanation that completing high school is not a reason to relax and allow hard work to go undone. Freedom is going to be your biggest struggle. Missing class in college is far from equal as missing class in high school; the consequences are detromental. Forget about friends, fun, and rekationships for the first year, they can wait. Getting started is the hardest part of any journey. I would then conclude with, good luck and I know you are going to be great because I am your future and congratulations on perfecting time travel.

Stacy

If I could go back in time I would tell my high school self to "keep your head held high". The transition will be easy because you are good at change, but the end will be difficult with new stresses about the future. College will be hard, and there will always be people trying to tear you down. Keep your morals and standards for guys high. Listen to that voice inside your head telling you that this is wrong or that you shouldn't do that. Be selective in the friends that you trust, but most of all, be yourself. Focus on your studies, and don't stress about the little things. I would want to warn myself of all the heartache and trials that I will face in college, but the truth is, that I wouldn't. If I went back in time and told myself of all the bad then I would be too scared to experience the good. I would remind myself that I am very smart, beautiful, and wonderful person, because in all honesty I am proud of my trials and the woman I am today because of them.

deanna

I would tell myself to start off as a supply chain major. I would also tell myself to focus more on academics and joining more groups when I get to college. This is the time of your life...it will be over before you know it.

Saba

I would advise myself not to apply to so many different schools just because they were ivy leagues or because everyone else was applying to them. I would advise myself to choose a school carefully after researching it and making sure that it "fits" me and my goals and aspirations. One of the biggest mistakes I made in senior year was letting other students and their anxiety get to me. I had already decided to attend a school and had received my acceptance letter; however, everyone else was anxious about applications, ACT scores, recommendation letters, etc. I let this peer pressure get to me and make me feel like my plans were not good enough; thus, I started applying to many schools that were not what would "fit" me. For a while, instead of enjoying myself and applying to scholarships specific to the university that had already accepted me, I was asking for recommendation letters. By the end of the application cycle that year, I had applied to 15 schools. Looking back, I regret doing so. I think it is important to decide on where one wants to attend college and then work towards preparing oneself for that university.

If I had the chance to give my high school self advice the first thing I would tell her is not to stress out about trying to fit in and transition to college. One reason for that is becuase I was really worried about meeting new people and finding a place to fit in, but that had to be the easiest part of college. Back then I always worried about doing the work for classes, but I would tell myself the only difference between high school and college is that the courses might be harder, but the professors are always willing to help you if you ask. In all I would tell myself back then to not stress so much and to enjoy everything I go through.

Don't wait. I know you're scared about being able to afford it. I know you don't think you'll do well, but every year you put it off it becomes that much more difficult. Life gets in the way. Your skills get rusty, especially math. You can't let that happen because you have dreams, and you can't make them come true if you're stuck in dead end jobs your whole life. Just go for it, and don't let anyone stand in your way. Especially boys. You can fall in love all you want, but you have to come first. Your education comes before boys, love, and marriage. If they really love you, then they can wait until you have that degree in your hands, because you come first. So don't wait. Go for it. You'll find the money, because if you work hard enough the money will come to you.

If I could go back to my high school self I would tell myself to finish your A.A. at a community college first and don't rush into going to a university at all. And when it does finally come time for that make sure to have your parents involved, to help you research different universities, looking strongly at their pros and cons to determine which one is best for you academically. Make sure to apply to more than two colleges and then assume that you have to go to the one that you get accepted to. Remember, it's all about your future so picking the best college for you is crucial. Don't go to the University of Oklahoma just because your father did. Apply for the colleges you wanted to when you were in high school. Listen to your gut. If you have a bad feeling about a college or the campus then listen to it. And if you absolutely don't end up at the school of your dreams then at least take it slow. Don't overload yourself with classes like they want you to. Take your time and learn at your own pace.

Kathy

I have attended 3 colleges and Rogue Valley Community College 58 of my credits. I am an older (59) student who without financial aid I will be unable to attend college. It is never too late in life to cease learning. I am disabled with Lupus but still perfectly capable of attending classes. My goal is to become a Sign Langugue Interrupter. There is a dreadfull lack of individuals with these skills. I certainly hope that you will consider me for your wonderful scholarship. Thank you for your time and trouble. Kathy McClanahan 541-226-2440

Kristilyn

Go to college immediately after high school! Take your summer and do what you will but fall term enroll and be there no matter what, work hard and pay attention because the transition is harder as time goes on. Enrolling after a few years is hard because you get out of the habits formed during the formative years and high school. Treat everything you learn like it will be on a test and that it will be the most important thing because everything can show up on a test or part of an essay. Take the time to breathe a little and do not stress yourself out so much about how things will work because that takes away from the time you can use to study. Hang out and be happy with yourself and with your friends but prioritze so that things still get done even with a weekend away. Have fun because it goes by so fast and soon it will be time to move on and have a family. If you do go to school late in life make a visual schedule and make a quiet work space; distractions happen all the time and that makes it harder.

Even though my main priority in college is academics I think that I would tell my high school self that for the first semester I should have put a large amount of effort into trying new things and meeting new people. I think that this is important because there are so many more opportunities and different groups of people in college that you haven't had exposure to in high school. I would also tell myself that it's okay to not know exactly what you want to study or to not have a set group of friends in the first year of college, because sometimes you have to try new things and learn what kinds of activities and people you like to surround yourself with. Lastly, I would remind myself that since, for the first time ever, I am completely and totally in charge of myself and dont have anyone telling me what to do, I must always go to class and learn to ignore the people knocking on my door when I have work to do or a test the next day.

Oklahoma University is the perfect fit. The transition was easy and college life was amazing.

Stacey

Travel first and then apply for college. Apply for financial aid and network with professors who have an interest in your success as a student.

Dear Christopher, I am sending this letter to you from the future because if I appeared in person, that would create a circular time paradox. I have a few important things to tell you. First, you are awesome in the future. Still hilarious and now you have way more friends. Speaking of which, don't waste your first semester by not investing in friendships. There are awesome people there with whom you could be friends with sooner and share more exciting experiences. Working 26 hours a week and taking 15 hours of classes each week is no excuse to be a hermit. Second, be more active. Do more campus related activities. Take advantage of the awesome opportunities that OU has to offer. Hulu is not as great as some of the experiences you could have. Also, you may be able to keep off the freshman 15 and the sophomore 25. I was not. Lastly, invest hardcore in AXP (American Express). It will jump from around $43 dollars in your time to $76 now. Get $20,000 and invest in American Express and college funds will no longer be an issue. Remember, stay awesome and keep the faith. Sincerely, Future You

Johnathon

My advice to my high school self would be to stop playing so much video games. I have learned in these past couple years in college that I could have discovered my true talents years ago. If I had controlled my addiction earlier in life I could have made more efforts to learn new things and enrich my life with great experiences and more friends. Back then in high school, I was immature and I had no outlook on my life except for my video games. My addiction became so far out of my reach that I began to lose my network of friends and became isolated. However, after going to college, and seeing that there is more to life than video games, I meet new people, have a job, and provide volunteer service as a means of giving back to the community. Currently I am satisfied with what I have done so far since the beginning of college and I also plan to take extra steps to boost my satisfaction and achievements. If there was a way of making my situation even better, I would advise my younger self to control his video game addiction.

Calees

Life happens, so stay flexible and go with the flow. You have to keep on top of what's going on and don't let the world just pass on by. Focus on God and family first, everything else comes later. While school is important, God and family are more important and those are the memories you want to keep forever.

Kayley

If I could give my high school self advice about my upcoming college career, I would first warn myself that grades aren't everything. Though I graduated high school as salutatorian, I was surprized to only received need-based financial aid my freshman year. Only after finding mentors on campus did I realize the importance of becoming involved and maintaining leadership positions. My high school self wouldn't believe "real-world" experience beats a 4.0 GPA. I would encourage myself to join the student newspaper before my junior year, because the leadership positions, communication skills, and networking opportunities are invaluable. My high school self also wouldn't realize the importance of connecting with professors who motivate me to succeed. Only after stepping out of my shell junior year did I meet with professors to discuss course material, graduate school options, and recommendation letters. Most importantly, I would advise my high school self not to be afraid to try new things. Hesitation was my biggest enemy during my first few years of college. I only wish I would have met more mentors, published more, attended more meetings, and spoken at more events. I am eager to continue!

If I could go back and talk to my high school self, I would be sure to emphasize the responsibility that a person gains during this transition between high school and College. I would let my younger self know that though there is not much I regret in my life, the few regrets I do have all come from this time period. This is a time to be thughtful of our actions and responible of our time. "Time really does move faster than one would ever guess and it never slows down," I would say. Despite these warnings, I would also reassure me that there will be time for fun as well as work. Overall, I would be sure to tell me to be cautious of the people I trust and mindful of our priorities and dreams. "No one cares about your needs and desires more than you," I would say. Then I would be sure to give myself a hug and tell her that many people love her and are already very proud of the person she is growing to be.

ALEXANDRA

Education is one thing that no one can take away from you. Never let fear stop you from moving forward in your life. Other college freshman will have the same social challenges as you do, and the classes won't be that hard if you pay attention and do your work. Don't let college intimidate you. Grab the opportunity—you'll see that you can handle it, and that it's actually a lot of fun.

Realize that your life is not about you. The potential you have to mean something to others is incredible, and if you need any evidence, simply glance back at the past four years - captain of the tennis team, hundreds of hours of community service, student council, tennis coach to children. You are a leader. Slightly off topic, did you know that every four seconds, someone in the world dies from hunger? Did you know that diarrhea, a mild inconvenience to us privileged few in Western society, kills a million and a half children every year? Fix it. Become a teacher or school administrator abroad, helping to educate children and lift them out of poverty. Become an engineer developing water sanitation systems for people in need. Work for UNICEF. Whatever it may be, waste not your leadership and intellectual abilities on your own pretty life. Stay in state so that debt can't pile on top of you, for it will make you its slave and prevent you from venturing out into the world. The bottom line is people are in need, and you are just the kind of leader the world could use.

Making the transition from high school to college is what you make it. It can either be very difficult or it can be an easy transition. For me at first the transition was a somewhat hard one considering I had moved so far from home and I knew nobody going to the University of Oklahoma. The key thing to do is to find your niche. You have to find the group of people you fit in with; the group of people you have things in common with. The challenge is finding this group. One way you can go about finding this and where you fit in in the University is going to all the events the University hosts at the beginning of the school year. They host a lot of events for the incoming freshman. It is important you go to these events because it helps you meet people. Also, I would try to go to different club meetings to see if any of them interest you. If you try to go out of your way to see where you fit in, it is more likely that you will adjust to college much easier than if you don't.

If I could go back I would tell myself to study even more. I have always been one to study and care about my grades but I would take my classes even more serious. I would devote myself more to my education. I would also listen to people when I said I couldn't wait to get away from home. You don't realize how much you will miss your family until they are 3 hours away and you only see them once a month. I would also remind tell myself that although my friends are important that things would change when we were all going our different ways. Although you will still be friends it wouldn't be the same. The last think I would tell myself is that I made the right decision going to OU. I knew the moment I walked on campus this is where I wanted to be. I would tell myself that I definitely made the right choice.

When I was deciding on a college that would best fit me, my first thought was: get as far away from home as possible. However, college isn’t cheap and my family encouraged me to apply to schools in Oklahoma. I grudgingly obliged. I visited the campuses, applied and was accepted to the Oklahoman Universities. I eventually chose the beautiful campus of the University of Oklahoma. If I could go back, I would tell myself to not try to run away from my family and grow up too fast, and it is okay to depend on others. I have always been known to go after things and let no one help me. College has flown by, way too fast in my opinion, and has been a wonderful, life-changing experience. Having my family so close has also been very beneficial, and attending college has actually brought me closer to home. Slow down Jessica, everything will work out and you will meet your friends of a life-time.

Be prepared for your ideas about life to change. Be prepared for your goals to reorient. I know you have a firm grasp on who you are and who you want to be, and I know this is going to sound cliche, but you don't know everything. You know a lot, but you're not quite there. Always be willing to accept new ideas an experience new things, because you never know how they can change your life. You're far too young to already be set in your ways at this point. Most importantly, have fun with everything you do in life.

I would have been more picky and spent a long time looking for scholarship money. Free school is important to me. I do not want to finish school in loads of debt. I will end up paying almost 20,000 dollars in loans.

I do not regret anything from my high school years. I made mostly straight A's with a few B's, so if I could go back in time I would tell myself to put in the effort to bring those B's up to A's. I had not learned about national merit scholarships until it was too late, so I would tell myself that I should take the ACT again and try to bring my score up to be elligible for more scholarships. I have not had that difficult of a time transitioning to college life so the only advice I would offer myself is to continue to try hard, put in effort, and think of how the hard work now will pay off after I graduate.

I think I can safely say that my cocky, high school senior self had no idea what she was getting into when it came to transitioning to college life. She thought that she was the perfect, straight-A student who would just sit back and relax in class and have an answer to all the questions. But after being in college for 2 years now, I would definitely have a word or two to say to my high school senior self. I would tell her: "You know what? You're NOT going to know all the answers. There will be people smarter than you, and it's OK to ask questions! Asking a question does not show that you're dumb - it shows that you're smart enough not to only rely on yourself to discover what's right." And then hopefully, my high school senior self would actually listen.

Ravynn

Dear Ravynn, I know high school has been hard but I would like to let you know to keep your head up high and continue to strive. Stay strong and keep in mind that any dream can become a reality as long as you keep the right mentality. Keep in mind that you will embark in a new adventure with college and I would like to pack fuzzy and warm clothes for your cold dorm, and steer free of college seniors because they don't mean any good in the end. Please keep in mind that you are strong woman and you deserve the best for yourself. Another important thing that I would like for you to do once you begin college is do not stay cooped up in your dorm room, go outside and make friend and get involved on campus. Also study hard to maintain a high gpa and remember what you came to college for. You came to college to better yourself while growing up and remaining true to yourself which I am sure that you will do! Good luck to you and your future endeavors and i am sure you will do just fine.

Davone

Dear Davone, When you are worried, scared, and don't know what to expect in the future, people will tell you that things will work itself out. They lie. Nothing works itself out without a plan. So knuckle up and start researching your future!! How are you going to get money for college? We are in the age of technology so "Google" it (or should I say "AOL" it during your senior year). There are millions of scholarships waiting to be claimed. When you get to college, it might seem like a repeat of high school. Well, that's perfect because it shows you that second chances do happen in life. So go for that 4.0 you were always so capable of. Make the best of your journey through learning, practicing, and networking. Your relationships with people are very important; you never know who you know until they're known. And lastly, just like four years of high school, four years of college goes by super fast. But because you have a plan, your transition into life will be met with success instead of a slap in your face. You're welcome!!

As a high school student I was very frustrated with school, the educational system and certainly the social aspect. I highly disliked the excessive homework and the "pointless" classes I was required to take. I always enjoyed learning but the environment I was in was somewhat disheartening. By the time I was a senior, these frustrations were just about through the roof and my grades reflected this. Looking back on my attitude and how I let my frustrations get to me, If I could tell my high school self anything it would be to stay strong and just fight through it and to always keep your head up. I would put an emphasis on not letting external problems interfere with my love of learning and my determination to reach my goals.

Martha

If I were able to give my high school senior self adivce on college I would tell myself several things. First of all, I would make my past self promise not to bring a tv to the dorm room. I would advise that studying is more important than Grey's Anatomy. Futhermore, I would explain that I would need to give myself time to adjust to the academic demands of college versus high school. I would also advise myself to enjoy the experience of being a freshman in college and not to worry so much. Finally, I would advise myself to get involved in campus activities and make life-long friendships.

Take fewer AP classes and more concurant classes.

Feyi

Be ready to juggle. In high school, as a senior, it was just about fun. But when I got to college I had to juggle being a leader, having fun, and learning all at once. Really enjoy high school. College is on a bigger scale.

Alysia

If I were to go back and advise myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to take every opportunity to experience new things with your classmates as possible. I am a senior in college now and the last three years have flown by. I have focused a great deal on my studies and I would adivse that I study as much as I did but also make time to have fun with classmates and friends through community service activities and going to cultural events on campus. This campus has so much to offer as far as clubs, extra curriculars, community service opportunities, and cultural events. College is the prime time in your life when you can grow as a person and as a citizen by experiencing every new experience that life offers and by learning about your classmates and community members. Education is of course top priority but growing as a person should definitely be the next priority for every college student and the University of Oklahoma understands this and gives ample opportunities to do so.

Jawanza

Remember not to walk in the bike lanes, get a good laptop or you will be miserable, don't walk under the clock tower, ask upperclassmen about the best professors and ALWAYS set wake alarms, home work reminders, and program your class schedule into your phone's calendar (be smart with your smart phone)

Jocelyn

Through this last year of high school keep an open mind. Do not let current plans come in the way of future plans. Always leave some spare time to spend with friends in family while working hard to be the best. Never lose touch with the dreams that give determination to work hard. Always thank those who have taken the time to teach you throughout the years. Take time to realize where you could be without all the hard work you have dedicated to school. Always be a friend to everyone you come into contact with. In the hard times, always listen to all sides of the story. Be the best that you can be and never let yourself become less than what you are. You will go places in life if you keep up the hard work!

morgan

If I could go back and talk to myself about college and what it’s going to be like I would tell myself. That is not all what people make out to be. It’s very hard and time consuming every bit of your time goes into studying and getting good grades. I would also tell myself that getting good grads in high school and working hard then will pay off in the long run in college. Also college classes are competitive everyone wants the best grade in the class and no one is going to be willing to help you. I will also like to let myself know that taking a lot of classes all at once will not make things easy take one or two of the hard classes then some of the easy ones that way you’re not always at home studying you can have a social life. I would also tell myself to schedule my classes when it’s best for me not for my friends take them when I will be more likely to pay attention so like at night than the morning. At the end i would say have fun.

Makenzie

If I could go back into time to give myself advice on college my main point would be to stay calm. When going to college, I got really nervous about classes, tests, etc. Everything ended up being perfectly fine as long as I kept that thought in my mind mentally. Also, I would tell myself to always read the chapters, and always do the homework. Professors don't always give you answers to tests in your notes, you have to contribute effort in order to get the grade that you want. Finally, although education is very important, I would tell myself that it is important to sometimes take a break, relax, and enjoy yourself.

If I could go back to my high school senior self I would slap myself in the face! It's funny how just a few years in college can completely change your outlook on life. I would have to tell myself to stay humble and patient; don't let anyone tell you that you can't do anything or that you aren't fit to succeed. Don't worry about what others around you are doing. Don't fret about the obnoxious guys sitting behind you in class. Remember, you are sitting there in that classroom for you and no one else. I'd tell myself to not be lazy. That's the biggest thing. My first couple of years I had trouble staying focused on my schoolwork. I'd tell myself to pay attention and keep my time and focus on my school and make sure I do the best darn job that I can possibly do because it will seriously pay off. I regret not doing better at the community college. It's really hurt my GPA and would do it all over again to make it better.