University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus

« See more reviews of University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus

I wish that I had known more about the many different organizations on campus. It seems that a day doesn't go by that I don't hear about another activity being hosted by another group. The many activities students can partake in, are numerous and eclectic, there literally is something for everyone. Unfortunately, I feel that many of the smaller organizations go by the wayside and the average student is blind to what doors those groups are capable of opening. By simply helping students find clubs and organizations to join, less students would get overwhelmed and more would join.

I wish I would have known the amount of time, hard work, and effort it requires to be successful at a large university. I never realized that school is a full-time job in itself. I wish I would have been told that the entire first semester is one long adjustment period. Furthermore, prior to attending the University of Oklahoma, I was unaware of the many different student organizations and groups. Most groups are quite accepting. By joining many different groups, I have gained many new friends and experienced a variety of cultures.

When I came to OU, I soon realized that I didn't really know how to study! I wish that I had been taught how to study in a collegiate setting. Also, college was a little overwhelming for me because I moved from a tiny town to a place where I had more sorority sisters than people in my high school. While both of these situations required some work and adjustment, I quickly felt at home at the University of Oklahoma, due to a great staff, committed professors, and a welcoming environment that allows you to make friends quickly.

If I could go back and tell my high school self anything, I would actually say two things of equal importance. First, I would tell myself to learn how to properly study. College is not like high school, where you can simply listen in class and maintain a 4.0. Studying is absolutey necessary. Secondly, I would tell myself that it's okay if you're not the best at everything. Still study hard, but don't make yourself miserable by pushing yourself over the edge. All you can do is work hard and know that you gave your best.

I wish I had known that OU does not care for its students, but rahter likes to focus on graduating people to make money off of them. The football program, typically, rules campus life, and getting wasted is more important than your work. People's lack of motivation and knowledge from the begging makes it difficult to achieve positive things at OU, unless one gets involved in the greek system or off-campus activity. Going to school here, one's priority lies not in the classes but what happens outside of them.

I came from a small school, so entering college was a big step in many aspects. I was bombarded with so much information from different colleges, including the one I am attending, that I was unable to absorb all the details. I wish I would have gotten my parents and teachers involved more, since they understand the whole process. The process in itself is overwhelming--down to the basics, like where I will live and how much I will need for food. I think I would have chosen to be more organized and prepared .

What I wish I had know most is the quality of the departments here and how important that is to not only my education, but also to my enjoyment of my time here. Some of the departments here are not so strong, with teachers who probably shouldn't be teaching, but other departments probably deserve greater praise than they get. The Honors College here is, sadly, very poorly underestimated. The faculty of that college are some of the most intelligent and truly helpful and caring people I have ever met.

That I could have gotten credt for my advanced high school classes-I am in the honors program and I didn't receive alot of information about what of my advanced placement classes in high school would transfer and I am still searching to find if it is too late to test out of some of the basic general education classes that I know were college level in high school. Also I wish I could have met with my advisor over the summer and had a definite plan for classes and time to look over the fall offerings .

I wish that I had known that studying is a habit, not just something you do every now and then. In highschool I only studied the week of the exam. Where as in college, I study constantly. It's almost as if I study more than I watch TV or get on social media sites. I also wish that I would have known that what people think of you does not matter. Not a person on campus judges you for anything you do, and I wish that I would have known to just be myself, and never change.

The huge emphasis on the greek system. I did not pledge a sorority and felt very left out as the entire social life and student government is run by the greek system. I also wish I would've known more about the scholarships available and how to get involved in the honors system. I quickly learned these things once I arrived at college, but it would've made my college experience a lot better if I'd known to take advantage of these things early before it was too late.