University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus

« See more reviews of University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus

I wish I had known better study skills. It is very hard to find an effective way to study.Also learning how to manange my time would have been useful to know because college has so many distractions and you have to learn when to priortize.Another thing I wish I would have known is how to handle the financial aid part of college. The expenses would have not been so shocking if I had understoof how it all worked.

College is only what you make of it. If you don't apply yourself you won't succeed. If you don't put yourself outside of your comfort zone, you will not experience what is awaiting you. If you aren't open to meeting new people, you will be lonely. College is a new world that is at your disposal. If you don't put an effort forward to make it a good experience, it will only drag you down.

I walk into my high school and see a girl with many friends, who seems so sure about herself. She is going off to college. It's my past self. I wish I could tell her, "Don't worry, if the college you are attending doesn't feel right, you can change schools. You are allowed to feel uncertain. You have amazing parents who want you to be happy. Do your best, and you can make it."

Although I realized some of the classes at OU would be large, I did not realize how it would feel walking in to a class with 2-3 hundred students. I also didn't realize how competitive things would be to get into some extra curricular activities. When you go from competing against 3-4 hundred people to competing against 20,000, it is very different!

Before attending the University of Oklahoma, I wish I would have known how to better handle the number of scholarship, service, and other types of on and off campus activities that are offered on a daily basis. However, I believe this sort of knowledge cannot be attained before coming to college, but must be experienced for one's own self.

I wish I had known that my Business Calculus class was going to be really similar to my high school Calculus, and if so, I would've taken Engineering Calculus. Without the drive to succeed in a class that I took, I didn't go to class, and I developed a really bad habit and I'm working this semester to correct that.

I wish that I had known how the education program is structured before I came to OU. I also wish that I had known how often plans and policies change. If you are going into early childhood education make sure you can go full time once you get to your sequence or you will have a lot of trouble graduating.

I wish that I would have known better study techniques. I think that each high school should have an hour dedicated to study techniques and the proper way to study during a student's junior and senior year. Also, I think that the schools should focus more on writing for every subject not just English.

The key to succeeding at OU is finding your niche. There are hundreds of groups and activities on campus, so the best thing to do is just jump in and find what suits you best. Student organizations are a great opportunity to stay involved with the things you love that may not be included in your major.

I wish I had know just how important sports and Greek life are to socializing at OU. It's really hard to get involved if you aren't Greek, and I feel like you have to go out of your way to meet people, because people in sororities/fraterities tend to spend all of their time together.