Eugene, OR
University of Oregon

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Oregon

Elisabeth

Intramural sports. Clubs on campus.

Very welcoming. Fun. Down to earth.

Excellent. Human Physiology is great for preparing you for graduate schools.

Elisabeth

The University of Oregon is best known for Hayward Field--the olympic trials--and the Ducks football team.

There are very few things I consider as negative at the University of Oregon. I feel there are many opportunities for students to get involved in the community, an area that will help in their career pursuit, and outdoor extracurriculars.

You do not need to be friends with everyone; just a few are great. The things you learned in cheerleading--that more friends are better--forget all that. There are those that help keep you from being bored, but they don’t truly make you into a better version of yourself. There will be a moment in your freshman year, when the majority of your co-ed house goes to a bonfire, and you spend the entire time trying to be a part of a “huddle for warmth” with your “friends” Vanessa, Michelle, and Heather. You’ll later realize you could have been studying chemistry with Patricia, bonding over your recently developed weird obsession with Le Chatlier’s Principle from Dr. Herrick’s Inorganic Chemistry class. Patricia, like your physiology friends, will always be there. You’ll learn this, and you’ll do your best to ignore it to fit in with the crowd, but don’t. Only four will remain to provide comfort when you don’t do as well as you wanted on your Tissue Injury and Repair oral exam. That’s okay. They rejuvenate you and you’ll know it. Focus on the friends that matter.

Gabrielle

The University of Oregon is absoulty beautiful.

The University of Oregon is absoulty beautiful.

If I could go back in time and talk to high school self, I would say to enjoy school. A lot of people like to think that you become a completley different person, and in a sense you do, but its because you are becoming aware of who you as an individual are. In everything you do you have to prioritize, its okay to have fun, just make sure you get your work done. College is fun, it is an experience you will never forget. Do not be scared to talk to your professors, they want you to succeed. In a way college is the same as highschool the only difference is you are paying for it, so there is no room to fail any classes.

The lack of lights around campus at night is the worst thing about this school. In the fall, it gets dark early, so when you are walking to your classes or to library it does not feel safe.

My school is staffed with remarkable instructors who take the time to help the students understand the presented materials .

The off campus housing, while being in great proximity to the campus, is very expensive.

Pick a school that has a diversity of cultures and race, there is much to be learned from others. Enjoy the classroom and soak up as much information that you can, remember it is a process, a marathon and not a sprint. Take time to enjoy and discover everything that the college environment has to offer.

Ana Laura

I would tell myself to put more effort in finding scholarships and not just wait around for one to find you because it's hard to pay for college but there is tons of free money out there you just have to go and look for it. I would also let myself know that my family will be okay without me because they are strong enough to sustain themselves and that I won't always be there to help them when they need me. I would also tell myself to go out and do things to make new friends because that is something that I regret not doing when I got to college because I always focused on my school work. Sometimes you do need that break from studies and do things that are fun to meet new people because that is what college is about to make new friends and also get an education.

The quality of the teachers and the way that they really care about their students and really want them to succeed. I also like that they have heritage classes for latino students which helps them use their language with other students of their same background as well as ineract with them. It helps me and I am sure as well as others to feel at home because you are surrounded that are going through the same situations as you are whether it be finacially, culturally, or even family wise.

That we have awsome dining locations and the school is in a great location. There is also the fact that everyone is super nice and helpful and there is a realy sense of community here. There are also many events going on and you are never bored because there is always something to do.

Daina

Unfortunately, the University of Oregon is best known for the football team and the success they have had. We are also quite well known for track and field as we are located in "Track Town USA" and we are home to the place where Nike shoes were invented by Phil Knight, Bill Bowerman, and Prefontaine.

When I brag about the University of Oregon I brag about the Ethnic Studies department. The professors and students in the major and minor truly and deeply care about you academic career and personal health. I would never have rated the UO as high as I did had I not been an Ethnic Studies major. The quality of people were amazing and the information we learned is very important no matter what career you go into.

Don't go to a school because of it's perceived status. It may be popular opinion that a school is of a higher caliber but that does not mean that it is high caliber for you. Do your research, do you actually like the aspects of the program? Or does the school offer many different things that interest you, because it is inevitable that you will change your mind about your major or career path. Don't worry about it, it is normal. Just make sure there are options available for you so you aren't stuck being unhappy in a program or institute that isn't the right one for you. Lastly, research the professors. Find a professor who's life work inspires you and reach out to them, even if you don't have a class with them. Ask them what they studied in school and how their career path went. You never know, they could be a lifelong mentor and friend.

Eva

Eugene is not terrible, it isn't a big metropolitan city but while you're here you should enjoy what it has to offer. There are great independent cinemas, parks, rivers, cheap or even free arts and music events in the city. The library is the largest in the state and has so many resources for academics and entertainment as well as being the best option to save money on books. The KIDD creative writing year-long program will be the greatest opportunity you will have, start working on your poems now. Don't worry about making lifelong friends as a freshman in the dorms, you won't talk to most of those people after you move out, concentrate on joining activities and going to events that interest you because that's how you'll make your real friends. Safe Ride is a great free service to use to go to off campus activities, go to more of those than I did. Get used to people trying to force football and school spirit on you constantly, they don't care about ethics, they just care about belonging to a group. Be careful who you choose to live with.

I attend the honors college within UO and it is a great fit for me but I think prospective students who struggle with being independent learners can have a very difficult transition because of how large the school is. You have to be self-directed to be able to succeed and be willing to explore the hundreds of clubs, organizations, and events we have to offer so you can find your people. I originally planned on going to art school and I found my community of artists and writers but it took time.

The sports culture is disgusting here with our last President having recently been paid off to the tune of 900k because he covered up a rape scandal involving UO basketball players so they could participate in the playoffs. Phil Knight and the people who only come here because of our football team are the reason that academics have gone down as our athletic rankings have gone up. We also unfortunately have way too many unqualified wealthy international and out-of-state students here because they can pay so the gap between the haves and have nots is profound.

August

An antisocial person shouldn't attend University of Oregon because the college is more of a community. With the teaching staff that is ready and willing to support the students needs with office hours to answer any student's questions, as well as the surronding area supporting the athletes and school itself.

Currently the worst part about my school is the construction underway for a new building. Though the school requires a new builiding for the abundant student population, the construction is often quite loud and causes a distraction for the student body.

If I could go back into the past and talk to myself as a senior, I warn him of the consequences of procrastinating. With the quarter of my university, I cannot afford to procrastinate, which I had a terrible problem with during high school. i would proceed to tell myself to become more organized. In college, organization is key so that you know where all of your essential items are, while I struggled with the sheer though of organizing my binder and backpack in high school, for though it was mesy I could find all of my items. In closing, I would tell myself to begin to open myself up to essential responsibility that I had procrastinated to learn, such as washing landry, for these are neccessityies that I would need to know in college, for i cannot just go home and have parents do it for me. I need to know how to become my own man and learn how to make the right decisions even in overbearing predicaments. I would confide in him my confidence that he could do all such things for I have already done it and told him that I believe in him.

Andrew

Andrew, I want to start off by saying that you went to one of the best high schools in the state for preparing students for college. Jesuit in Portland helped you academically, emotionally, and physically. With that in mind, the first piece of advice I give to you is take the SAT seriously. Even though it may seem like an insignificant test, it represents your work ethic for consistently trying to work towards a long term goal. Once you have confidence in your work ethic, you can achieve anything Also, millions of dollars in scholarships and grants are given to people who do well on their SAT scores for another motivating factor. My second piece of advice is start writing down specific dream jobs as soon as possible. This way you can work towards them and know what it takes to get there. Be polite and persistent when you pursue these dreams because it is difficult to accomplish goals on the first try. You have a plethora of friends and family who will support you in every move you do. Make use of your connections! In the meantime, stay happy and always look to improve. Good luck!

If you're an outgoing person who likes to be involved on campus then this is a great school for you. If you also love quality food from every part of the world, then there are plenty of great options here and friends to go eat with. It is also a blast attending athletic games because our fans are nationally known as some of the best out there.

You will meet some of the most friendly and ambitious people around and our sports teams are some of the best in the entire nation. On top of that, the dorm food is very good and there are plenty of healthy options that are always available. It is easy to get involved in just about anything and everything on campus is within a 10 minute walking distance.

University of Oregon administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.