Eugene, OR
University of Oregon

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Oregon

Taryn

I am meeting classmates from all over the country especially California where they have sunshine and we have liquid sunshine where you need a good pair of waterproof shoes.

I would tell my high school self, YES, it could happen to you . As of right now I'm going through a huge change. I was sexually assaulted a week ago; I'm trying every day to get through it. I realized that when it happened I didn't want to become another statistic that doesn't report or talk about it. I have shared it with a few close people in my life and my family. They have all been there to support me, except my boyfriend. I have now realized that he doesn't care about me like I thought he did. I've learned that in order to realize who really cares about me and wants me to become a better person after traumatic experiences, is the people that are right by my side the entire way. I plan on going to counseling and get tests done to make sure I'm 100% safe. It's already been a week and I'm starting to realize I can't dwell on this forever; I need to gain back my strength and confidence and improve my life every day.

U of O has fantastice tailgating that is the pre -event to the award winning Football team. The campus is modern and has a strong sense of community.

Lucas

My classmates are intelligent and engaging, and share a common interest in the study that I am focused on.

The largest piece of advice I would give myself in high school would be to be very confident in who you are and to put yourself out there a little bit. Be ambitious when meeting people and remember to stay focused on school, but always make time to have fun and enjoy the college experience. Dont be afraid to meet people, and try to become involved in various school related extracurriculars, like clubs.

How weird the transition from high school and living at home to college and living away would be. Also I wish I had known how expensive textbooks would become and how often I would actually use them.

AYELE

I would tell myself not to be so serious and that it is fine to make mistakes. When you make a mistake pick yourself up and move forward. You will exprience college life and it will be the best time of your life. Go out and win.

A person who does not have an open mind and who is not ready to learn more about themseleves and other people

Morghan

If I could go back and talk to myself in high school I would tell myself to enjoy those days because they go by faster than you think. Once you get into college you get a taste of what the real world will look like. You aren't treated like a little kid in school anymore and your teachers dont tell you when assignments are due. It is up to you to figure it out. I would tell myself to stay on top of the studies and apply for tons of scholarships! College surely isn't cheap and every penny you can earn adds up and will help. The I would probably tell myself to just have fun don't worry about graduating because college becomes the best four years of your life.

Amerissa

Someone who gets easily depressed with rainy weather.

Someone who gets easily depressed with rainy weather.

The most frustrating thing for me so far is that they gave an amount for tuition, but didn't split that equally into trimesters. Now, I'm scrambling to come up with $682 for this term.

Oh, Senior Ami, You don't know nearly as much as you think you know. Allow me to help: you are valuable, loved, and strong. Don't let yourself be consumed by guilt of the past or be worried about things to come. Continue to do everything you love, date the boy who made you cry, and add too many things to your agenda. It'll make you happier, wiser, and a bit more careful in the future. If you ever wonder if you did something hurtful, step up and apologize. If someone has wronged you, tell them and then forgive whether or not it is asked of you. If you are afraid, remember that you are never alone. Remember to be gracious in both victory and defeat. Work harder at everything and take a little longer to enjoy things like districts and state. Yes, dear, you are good enough to go to state. Save money wherever possible. Do those ridiculous college essays and take those AP tests even when you don't want to. Remember to always be thankful even in the bleakest time. I love who you are! Keep on growing up. Have Peace, College Freshman Ami

Yona

I would advise myself to beopen for change. Before arriving into college life I assumed that I knew exactly what pathway my education would take me. However this changed quite quickly. It was difficult but a worthwhile experience. I suppose I would tell myself to expect all the unexpected.

There really is not anything that is the "worst", just certain areas need improvement.

Casey

I dislike the environment and student body. Everyone is a bit too stereotypical and there are way to many students. The school focuses too much on athletics and the food is the typical gross dorm food. Eugene is a really good area, especially for the hipster crowd. It's small, not much to do, but has really good places to eat! I'm transferring out to find a better fit for myself.

They are like any typical college's academics. Some classes are challenging, some extremely easy, and some professors are idiots. It just depends on your class and what level you're in.

Most people are athletes, athlete obsessors, or athlete wannabes. Most students are partiers as well, and the ones that aren't are usually hiding away.

University of Oregon has many different majors to choose from. All the different majors lead to real world work and experiences. Also, the college tries to encompass the surrounding community into it's teachings.

My school plans curriculum that leads the students to their career goals by including marketable competencies that give students real experience.

If I could go back and talk to my high school self I would tell my younger self about finacial aid and how easy it actually is to apply for college. This was some of my barriers to going to college in my past. I had the drive and the brains to do the work, but no one expected me to graduate or to want to go to college. However, college was a life long dream of mine. I did not know that I had only been given part of the directions, or that maybe I should have became more proactive in achieving my dream. That is the past, now I am in college, in part because someone told me about financial aid. This is now what I would like to do: assist others with finding the map to their dreams.

Tanner
Tell us about the food and dining options.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

If you are looking with in the school campus, I would defiantly recommend Big Mouth Burrito, and Fire and Spice. Both of these dining areas are located in Hamilton. Big Mouth Burrito is very similar to a sub shop, but instead they make burritos. Fire and Spice allows you to make your own pasta dish, that you can pile up to the top, as long as it can all fit in the bowl. There are multiple sauces and veggies that you can dress it up with, then the cook that cooks your pasta gives you an option of meat. There are other dining halls as wall, but the others are more of a buffet style, where you pay one price and serve yourself, with the benefit of all you can eat.

What do people really wear to class?

This depends on the term. During Fall--Winter people mostly wear rain coats and sweatshirts. However, unlike fall term the last few weeks of Winter term have sunny days where people usually ware shirts and shorts. Spring term is the term where people dress for the Summer. Although there are periodic rainy days during the Spring, the days are mostly sunny. During this term you see guys in more shirts and shorts, and girls in more shorts and shirts, along with dresses.

What's the hardest thing about freshman year?

The hardest thing for me was being independent and sharing a room/restroom. I missed seeing my family every day and the familiar surroundings of my neighborhood and home town. The course lode was also much different from high school. Adjusting to the changes was also difficult, but after I did things became much easier.

Do you feel like you changed a lot?

I do think that I have changed, and for the better. My first year I found the College experience and being away from home to be hard and somewhat frightening. However after my two quarters, I found my third quarter to be manageable. My second year of college has been great. Living off campus and having my own room is amazing, and I have the system down. I also feel that because I know my major, I am finding it even more manageable and not overwhelming. I would have to say the biggest change that I went through after my first year at college, and the University of Oregon, was adapting to the different rhythm of college. After getting my system down, I found it to be helpful and less overwhelming.

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

I mostly call home every day. This way I feel like I am still there in some why and do not feel as though I am far away or am missing out on something. However when you do call every day, the consecrations might not be as long. I find that if you call once every two days the conversations last longer, and both my family members and I have more to say. But when you feel like you need to call home and talk to someone in your family you should do it.

I don't drink. Will it be hard for me to go to parties?

I dont drink either, however I also do not go to parties either so I cannot say for sure if there are parties with out alcohol. But when I do venture out into the town at night I notice that all the houses that I pass have alcohol, among other things as well. If you do plan on partying and are trying to avoid houses with alcohol, you will have a difficult time finding one. During the first year of college, when you are staying at the dorms, the dorm housing tries to hold a few parties and dances. But if you plan on going off campus, the schooling has no control over what goes on.

It is a lot different from High School, and do not be discouraged if you are facing difficult times. Every one does when they first leave home, and when they are on their own. Just because everyone looks like they have it all figured out, they don't. They are all in the same boat as you.

The two most talked about groups on campus are the sports groups (football and basketball) and the A Cappella group (On the Rocks). Our athletics are very popular, football being the most popular. On the Rocks play every Friday at 5 at The Fish Bowl, a building at University of Oregon. At the time I am not involved in any groups, however a few of my friends meet every Friday at 4:30 to catch up with each other. The friends I meet with are not those I consider to be my closest friends, however, they are friends who I enjoy to spend my time with. The ones I consider to my my closest friends, when it comes to University of Oregon, are the small group of three from my Dorm. If you live in the dorms, there is a small cafe that is open until 3am. This was a very popular place to go late at night and very early in the morning. Partying happens every weekend, Friday night and Saturday night. Although I do not go to the parties, I hear people laughing and talking quite loudly outside of my apartment. I live off campus and eat out almost every day. The campus town mainly has places to eat, but if you are looking for something outside of the campus town, there is shuttle that you can take, which is free for students.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

People at University of Oregon, form what I have seem, are very in to, as what we like to call their Ducks (sports teams). Our biggest season is our football season. You can always tell when football season has began, and when football games are. Although I am not the biggest sports fan, the school spirit on campus paints a picture of excitement, even if you too are not a sports fan. Even teachers enjoy to talk about our Ducks, and when we are having a good season, the talk increases. Our basketball season is still popular, but not as popular as our football team. However, the new Matt Arena is very nice, which is part of the reason as to why our basketball team/spirit is rising in popularity.

Tell us about your professors.

I have had all positive professors for the most part at University of Oregon. I am a Sociology Major with a concentration in Crime/Justice and Family. So far I have liked all my Sociology teachers. Although big classes seem discouraging, which can have a big effect on the way you view the teachers, it is best to go to their office hours. This way not only do you get to know them better, but they get to know you too. Some professors can seem a bit difficult, and you will probably come across a few during your stay. Form what I have found throughout the courses that I have taken, the professors that seem most caring are the Social Science teachers. However, teachers can come across as great or horrible depending on the subjects you are interested in. Being interested in a subject also plays somewhat of a role in deterring how you view the teacher. In shot though, I have had mostly positive encounters with teachers here at University of Oregon.

I do not know for certain if University of Oregon has a stereotype student body. It is known to hold a lot of international students, and for its crazy sports fans during football season. Most of the talk I hear about University form other students and people outside of the university seem to have accurate information.

University of Oregon administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.