Eugene, OR
University of Oregon

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Oregon

Marissa

University of Oregon is very diverse and has students and administration from all sorts of backgrounds. There are so many groups and clubs one can join depending on their background, which allows them to meet students who are similar to them. I don't believe any student could be out of place at this school, because I have seen every kind of person on campus at one point or another. The diversity adds character to the university and allows for people to learn about different kinds of students. Though most students are from Oregon or California, there are many students from all over the nation and all over the world. Last year one of my roommates was from China and the other from England, and this year I have a different roommate from China, which shows how common exchange students are here.

Academics at the school can be easy or challenging, depending on the course. Since I am double majoring in biology and human physiology, my workload is tremendous and my classes are quite difficult. I am glad there is free help for math and writing on campus, because it is very useful since I can't afford a tutor and don't have a lot of time for one. The professors I have had thus far have all been very kind to the students, and I can always tell that they have a passion for teaching. Professors will make time for you outside of class if necessary, because they want students to perform well and understand the material.

The stereotype of students at the University Oregon are that they are very kind, laid back, and a good amount of them are stoners. Eugene, Oregon is popular for marijuana usage, and from my observations, the stereotype of students being stoners is pretty accurate. I also believe that the students are kind and laid back, as previously mentioned. People always hold doors open for others, smile and say hello to strangers, and don't cause drama (for the most part).

William

The University of Oregon is an all around great place to be. The faculty on campus are always friendly and helpful. It is the perfect size college town, with a campus that is large enough that it does not seem cramped but not so large that it takes too long to walk to the other side of campus. Being located in the Pacific Northwest, there are plenty of rainy days. It would be nice to have a few more days of sunshine throughout the year but if rain is not a huge concern it is an amazing place to be. There is always something to do here; from the popular sporting events to weekly parties. Campus is also located close to downtown Eugene which allows access to even more things to do throughout the week. University of Oregon takes pride in who they are, if you want a school with tons of school pride this is the place to be!

University of Oregon takes pride in the high level of academic success is achieves. The Business program is among the top ranked business school in the country. Many students also come here for Journalism school that can get you started in any area of communication. The classes range from large student lectures to smaller, first-name-basis classes. The professors are always willing to meet with students and help out in any way they can. There is a large variety of classes that can be taken from the basic major classes to some of the more odd-ball classes like Tarot-card reading! There is always an interesting class to take that fits peoples individual interests. There are also many connections that can be made at the University for success post-graduation through internships, company interests, and personal connections that can be made

Leila

This school is a great place to be. The campus is so lively and well taken care of. School spirit prevails at all times, but students take their academics seriously. Everyone is here to have fun while getting a good education. It keeps a healthy balance between the two, and there are many opportunities to get involved in school and the community. Also, the location is convenient, and only 2 hours away from Portland, OR! The professors are amazing and I feel like I am learning a lot. When I first applied for colleges, University of Oregon was on the bottom of my list. Around April, something drastically changed my mind after visiting with professors and visiting the campus and soon it became the only school I wanted to attend. It has been the best choice I have ever made. University of Oregon is the place to be.

What do people really wear to class?

People wear casual clothing. Jeans, tee-shirts, sneakers, etc. Some girls wear dresses or skirts on occasion, but for the most part its jeans/pants, tee shirts, sweatshirts, and sneakers.

What's the dating scene like?

Lots of people on campus date. However, it isn't as big of a deal as in most high schools. There isn't drama that forms around it as much. Its pretty much you are dating someone, but not everyone needs to know about it. Not as much PDA as high school. But lots of people are in relationships.

Do you feel like you changed a lot?

Not really. I feel like I'm still the same person, just now around people that like me better. I might have become more mature, but that is just part of growing up. I have not changed for the most part.

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

Phone home as much as you feel appropriate. Most students start off similar to once a day and eventually get to a point where its once a week, or maybe just a text message once a day and a phone call once a week. I typically call once a week, but its not set in stone. Just whenever I feel like I should call. And I always text so that my parents know I'm doing well.

I don't drink. Will it be hard for me to go to parties?

I don't drink either. I go to parties sometimes. I don't always find them to be the best night I've ever had, but its not bad. Sometimes, some funny stories come out of it too. You'll be surprised how many people do not drink. Don't worry, you are not alone. Drinking or not, if you find the right people, you'll have fun at a party. :)

I wish someone had told me that it is not as hard as people make it out to be. I was always told that I was going to die my freshman year, especially with two majors. However, it really has not been all that difficult, and I still have plenty of free time while taking on average 20 credits a term.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

For sports, football is prevalent. Everyone loves football. The other sports are well recognized too, but football is mainly what draws the crowds.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

Most people go to the libraries or into some of the buildings. However, I find that the best study places are off campus. I go to a restaurant at least two blocks away from campus when I really need to study and it usually provides as a quiet study space that no one comes into. Everyone just needs to find their own space, and then don't tell anyone so nobody will bother you when you study.

Describe a typical weekend.

For most people, a typical weekend involves a party, hanging out with friends, studying for classes/doing homework, and just chilling. Some people work out, hang out at pools in the spring time, or go to social events or academic group meetings. Sometimes, people will go hang out at the beach or shred the slopes up at the mountain. Some people spend the weekend in Portland, which is a big city 2 hours north of Eugene. Most people keep things interesting. Hiking, biking, and anything outdoors is something you will see in Eugene. :)

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

First day of school and first day of classes. Going in was an amazing experience and getting to know everyone and becoming welcomed into the departments was a great feeling.

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

This school is fun environment with a perfect balance of academics, social life, and community involvement. All the students and faculty are friendly and its a very positive and motivating environment. The campus is well maintained and beautiful all year round.

Our campus is unique in the fact that it is kept very green all year round and is extremely beautiful. The climate of Oregon helps out with this a lot. Oregon is beautiful all year round and the proper care of the campus reflects this a lot.

When you step off campus what do you see?

Off campus, you see normal people in Eugene. Student life is still very active and the community shows school spirit, but its like real life outside of campus. Very cool :)

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to go to this school because of the new addition to the Percussion Faculty, Mr. Pius Cheung. He is a phenomenal instructor and the main reason I decided to attend the University of Oregon.

The most popular student groups involve student government, student safety, and saving the environment. Eugene is a very environmentally conscious place to be, and safety is their number one priority for students on and off campus.

The academic learning style varies by class. Some classes are like a high school setting, with no more than 30 in the classroom and the teacher knows who you are. Other classes are giant lecture halls and the teacher may not even know your face. Either way, the quality of education is excellent. Students are fairly competitive, but ultimately people are there for the knowledge rather than the grades.

Most students fit into groups with their majors. People intermingle, but most people become friends and join in the groups with the people they are around all the time. Each group has their own style and different benefits.

Destin

How a little rain weeks at a time can put a damper on enjoying the outdoors

How a little rain weeks at a time can put a damper on enjoying the outdoors

If I could've given myself advice when I was a senior in high school, I would of told my self to have a good senior year academically. If you finish high school with a high GPA, you will have a lot of options going into college. It would allow you to pick from a multitude of different universities across the country and apply for many different scholarships. I would've also told myself to make sure you pick a college that provides the best environment for you to succeed. It doesn't matter how academically strong you are, if you can't picture or imagine yourself living in that particular city or walking that campus, then you will have a miserable college experience. I would make sure that you are comfortable with the environment your gonna be in for the next four to five years.

Anyone who is not stuck on the big city lifestyle.

Addison

In most of my classes, my professors know my name, which is rare on a college campus as large as ours. I love our classes because we have a little bit of everything in terms of class size. There are 500 people lecture classes, Medium size classes containing about 75 kids, and smaller classes with 25 people. Because of this,, you really have the ability to choose what route you want to take and which classes you feel comfortable taking. Class participation is very common, and expected in classes as participation usually counts toward your grade. In addition, studying is a must at UO especially since we are on a quarter system. It always seems that right when you are getting comfortable in a class, it is time for finals! It is a fast paced class schedule that takes some getting use to, but as long as you keep up on your studying, it will should never get too overwhelming. UO really takes initiative in getting you ready for the real world. I am getting a Bachelor of Arts which requires two years of a language. Although some people don't like this aspect, it really prepares you for the outside world. In addition to language, all of the additional graduation requirements really prepare you, and force you to look into other aspects of education that you might not otherwise do. I really enjoy this because I am learning so much in not only my major, but other areas as well. UO is a great school, who pushed their students to ask question, learn, and branch out into areas you might not have ever thought. Through my education here, I have gained a stronger interest in the world around me.

A lot of people think University of Oregon is filled with stoners. Although there is some of that around, it is not as prevalent as people believe. There are so many people that go here that have never even smoked in their life! There are places you can go or people you can hang out that aren't involved in smoking. In addition, people that do smoke rarely pressure other kids into doing it. If you don't smoke, no one judges you or thinks differently about you. Oregon is really accepting of all types of people!

Audra

I love Oregon and especially it's campus. I think everyone's school spirit makes this community close and exciting. I would change the quarter academic system. I think it conflicts with schedules and makes it difficult for students to transfer to and from UO. Eugene is definitely a college town and the whole town is enthusiastic about UO.

Most classes at UO are very large and there isn't a lot of interaction with your professors. Discussion classes are necessary for most classes. The quarter system is unique and each term is 10 weeks long instead of 15 week long semesters.

Common stereotypes at the University of Oregon are athletes, hippies, and greeks.

Rebecca

My overall opinion is that this is a good school. It has some bad qualities, like allowing smokers to walk around campus blowing their "death smoke" in other peoples faces and giving student athletes bigger privileges than the rest of the students but I like the University of Oregon.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

Honestly, I chose this school because I was offered a great scholarship, it was in-state, and I knew that with my 3.85 g.p.a I would be automatically admitted without having to apply anywhere else. University of Oregon is the only college I truly applied to.

The students at my school are indescribable. A lot of them are irritating with their partying and vocabulary, but for the most part it is a pretty diverse campus with a lot of different social groups and a ton of Greek houses.

The academics are a little intimidating but fun all the same. I didn't expect it to be such an inviting place to learn. The professors want to get to know you and help you, which is not what I expected at all. Its a pleasant experience.

The stereotype at the University of Oregon is that we are all hippie athletes who smoke pot. I don't believe that is true, while many students do both, not all of us do.

Beth

There is a place for everyone here. There are clubs for different races, ethnicities, sexual orientations, general interests, and more. I've noticed that girls usually wear boots and leggings or some sort of yoga pant to class. Boys vary considerably on what they wear, from skinny jeans to athletic shorts. Most of the students here that I've met seem to be from California or the Portland, OR area. I would say that most students are from middle class families, but the people I've met don't really talk about it. Many students are very politically aware and active. I would say that most of them are left, but there is also a good portion that are center, too. They are also very active about issues involving the school and community.

The academics are very, very good. For such a big school, it's kind of amazing how there can be classes of 20-30 kids. Those kinds of classes encourage class participation, but the huge lecture classes don't. There is a huge variety of classes to choose from, and many are very unique and interesting. The common areas are always full of students studying and discussing intellectual issues. The education encourages students to do what inspires them, but there is also a great career center that helps students immensely.

Stoners, hippies, liberal activists, and jocks. Not the usual combination. There are plenty of them, but there are also plenty of people that don't fit into these stereotypes.

John

There is no stereotype that can fit every student at the University of Oregon, and that's one of the best things about this school. The diversity that the school boasts makes it inevitable for incoming students to find their niche.

Julia

There are two distinct stereotypes of students at University of Oregon. First, there are the football fanatics. The Duck football team is well known for its success, Rose Bowl championships, and star athletes. Autzen Stadium is packed for every home game. When people think of U of O, they think football. Critics of the program may also think about the tremendous amount of money spent on the program. However, not every student at UO is a football fanatic. Yes, there are those who party after every game and buy season tickets, but I wouldn't say they are the majority. I know plenty of students who couldn't care less about the football team. If that's what you're into, you'll have no problem finding the football crowed, but that is definitely not all that defines U of O. Secondly, there is the "hippie" stereotype. Being in Eugene, people often associate U of O with liberal environmentalists who preach peace and oppose capitalist ideals. While there are also students who fit into this category, it is not by any means characteristic of the entire student body, and not everyone with these beliefs is the stereotypical "hippie". I would say these two stereotypes are the two extremes at U of O. Most people lie somewhere in between. Everyone finds his/her own niche, which exemplifies the diversity among students at U of O.

University of Oregon administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.