Eugene, OR
University of Oregon

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Oregon

I like the size of the school. I wish there was more funding for certain programs, like English. I wish I didn't have to pay for printing (business majors don't because Phil Knight gives them shitloads of money). I spend most of my time at Cafe Roma, when I'm not in class. They have good, strong coffee and a nice smoking porch.

I can't think of anyone who would be out of place at the UO. It's pretty diverse. Most students dress casually, but some dress to impress. Some people wear sweats. It's legal to go topless in Eugene, and I've seen a couple people do that as well. I think UO students generally lean to the left politically, but there are exceptions.

Somewhat, but at the UO there is a lot of diversity. Not a hippie school by any means, so if that's what you're looking for, go to Berkeley.

Some of my professors know my name. I think once you get into upper division work you know your professors pretty well, but in huge introductory lecture classes you are pretty anonymous. My favorite class is Biblical Hebrew. My least favorite classes were anything to do with business.

Everybody is pretty wild about football and basketball. People party a lot. If you wanted to do something that doesn't involve drinking you could go see an indie film at the Bijou, go to a show at the Campbell Club or the WOW hall, or go out to dinner. There are some good restaurants in town.

I don't know about the UO specifically, but I Eugene is definitely stereotyped as a hippie town.

Jack

The school size is great. You can stand out, get to know a small group of teachers or students if you want. Or if you're just into taking big lecture classes and not being bothered by all that, you can find that here too. It's a nice middle road.

The LGBT community is SMALL. Granted, because it's a university campus it's bigger than smaller towns, but it's nowhere near as diverse as it should be. In spite of this, the LGBTQA seems like a good enough group for networking and support, though I've never actually been associated with it. Wear what you want to class. If you don't care, professors probably won't. Students here seem mostly politically left to moderate, but as a result, those who are to the right are extremely to the right. Do students talk about how much they'll earn one day? You're bound to find a bunch who do in Lillis. But that's the exception rather than the rule.

Bottom line: U of O is all about what you make out of it. There isn't anything inherent in the university that will make you have a good time or a bad time. It's a cool enough place to learn what you want to learn and meet who you want to meet. Could be better, but it's not too bad a place.

Well, there ARE a lot of hippies and greeks. But I think it's just because they're the most visible on campus.

If you can get into it, take the American Sign Language sequence for your two years of foreign language credit. It's an eye-opening, inspiring experience with a teacher who feels passion about her subject and genuine care for her students. I learned about a brand new culture I didn't even knew existed before I took the class and you get to learn about issues that are going on here and now. You may not be able to get into ASL101 your first fall term here, but wait around. It'll be worth it.

It seems that fraternities and sororities are REALLY important to the people who are actually in fraternities and sororities. But you can make your own friends and have a good life without ever going near them. But if you're into greek life, that's cool too. There are some good opportunities in them, but you run the risk of being stereotyped as the typical frat guy or sorority girl.

It seems like at first glance you only run in to hippies of frat guys/sorority girls. It takes a little more looking, but then you find some people more in the middle.

Since I come from a small town, everyone seems pretty surprised that I didn't choose OSU instead. In very general terms, OSU is a more rural farming school while UO is on the opposite side of the spectrum. But it is an interesting learning experience.

If you are conservative, be prepared to not agree with a lot of people. But its not too bad. I guess I understand other points of view a little better.

Well, some people fit this stereotype pretty well. Things around campus do seem to favor the liberal point of view. The majority of the student body aren't hippees, haha. But there are a few interesting ones...

The academics are pretty rigorous. But I am sure they are at most colleges. No the professors don't know your name unless you make an effort to attend their office hours numerous times and talk to them on your own. The teaching assistants and the GTF's though, are encouraged to learn your names and it isn't hard to get one on one help with your classes. I think a lot of the classes I take seem unneccesary to complete my major, but I think that they want students to really have a variety.

Basically that everyone is a very liberal hippee.

Michele

The best thing about UO is the atmosphere. UO has a gorgeous campus all year round (especially when it snows), but I wouldn't recommend it if you hate squirrels. I am on campus everyday, and I never go an entire day without seeing a familiar face. UO is just the right size because it's not so big you'll get lost or so small you'll know everyone's name by the end of freshman year. Eugene also has a great atmosphere. It's definitely a college town - it's common to see small businesses with the O symbol or the Duck on their windows - but UO is not all it cares about. There are other colleges here, including Lane Community College and Northwest Christian College. When I tell people outside of Eugene that I go to UO, I get a few glares from Oregon State University fans, but otherwise people seem pleased. My parents are especially happy because it's close to the Portland area. (However, it's not too close, which is something I definitely appreciate.) One student complaint is the library not being open 24 hours unless it's during Dead Week or Finals. Another issue is with the distribution of student tickets for sports games, which currently involves waiting in line during school. Some people have to skip classes just to get tickets. The administration has been trying to find a solution, so hopefully this won't be an issue for much longer.

Most of the students at UO are from Oregon, so when I get asked where I'm from I usually say "West Linn" or "the Portland area". The majority of out-of-state students are from along the West coast. A lot of people I know don't have a lot to spend on school, so staying close to home is a good way to save money. Many students are on financial aid, so it's nothing to be embarrassed about. Student clothing depends a lot on what term it is. It rains a lot in Eugene, but many of us don't use umbrellas. (It's only water!) In the fall and winter, I see a lot of people in sweaters and jackets. In the spring, there's a lot of sun, so people love to put on their shorts and study on the grass. In the business school, I also see a lot of people dressed up to give presentations for their classes. At UO, just like in Oregon in general, there are a lot of white people, but minorities are definitely accepted. There are several student clubs and activities on campus to promote diversity. As an employee at UO Disability Services, I think UO does a good job of accommodating students with disabilities. I work with students who have difficulty hearing lectures, and they are generally quite successful with their classes.

If you're considering UO, I would definitely schedule a visit. This happened to be the only school I applied to my senior year of high school, but I lucked out. As much as I love Eugene, it's definitely not for everyone. But if you can tolerate Pacific Northwest weather, chances are you'll be just fine! Also, if you want to live off campus and go here, make sure you work out your transportation in advance. Parking is horrible on campus, so a lot of students ride the bus or ride bicycles. Riding the bus is always free, since student IDs count for bus passes.

There is an overall feeling of environmental conscientiousness in Eugene. I know quite a few vegan people, but there are definitely meat-lovers here, and they get along just fine. I'm not sure about UO's ranking among other Oregon colleges, but I know it is one of the best and am glad to be here.

There is quite a mix of students at UO in terms of their study habits. I know a lot of people from the Honors College who make academics their top priority, but there are also some Honors students who party a lot. The same mix exists for "normal" UO students, but people generally get their work done. Personally, I like to space out my work so I don't have to cram, so I'm not the type to pull all-nighters. I spend around six hours total on each of my English essays, though, so the hours still add up when there are exams and homework assignments breathing down your neck as well. People at UO get to take classes from a lot of departments to fulfill their general requirements, so everyone has the chance to explore different subjects and learn what they really like. As a double major, I still get to do a wide array of assignments for my classes, so it gets interesting. Just last week, I was taking notes on human resources recruiting practices one night and writing a paper about Shakespeare's critique of Petrarchism the very next. It's a lot of work, but it's fun because I'm never bored with my classes for long. I like the English major because I have a lot of freedom to choose classes I want to take. There are certain categories to fulfill based on the time period of the literature being studied. For example, I have to take one upper division class dealing with Pre-1500s literature, so I could take a class about Old English or study Chaucer extensively (among other options). The only classes I can't get out of are in the yearlong introductory sequence. They're lower division, but they're actually much harder than most of the upper division courses I've completed. I'm taking one of the classes right now, and I'm putting in a lot of hours at the library just to get Bs on my essays. I would enjoy the classes a lot more if I could just go to lecture and listen. The Business Administration major is a lot more organized in terms of the curriculum. UO has its own business school on campus, so not everyone can graduate with a Business or Accounting degree. There are five pre-Business classes to take: one introductory business course, two accounting courses, and two economics courses. When I got into the business school, the minimum GPA requirement for these five classes was a 2.75 (a little better than C+ average), and I know a few people who didn't get high enough grades and had to retake classes. Once you're in, most people pick a concentration like Marketing or Finance, but some people don't. I currently don't have a concentration, but I still have time to decide. Both the English and Business departments try to get students prepared for life after college, but sometimes I don't feel like it's enough. Some English classes include a part-time internship; I'm a Writing Associate for a lower division English class and get to help students with their papers. The business school has their own career center, which is very helpful, but people have to go in on their own time. I think it would be more beneficial if we had to do an internship as part of our graduation requirements, because some students get left behind.

People tend to only live in the dorms their freshman year. The majority of students live off campus in houses or apartments, but some people continue to live on campus. Even though it's been almost two years since I left the dorms, I am still friends with a lot of the people I lived with. In terms of UO athletics, I would have to say football is the most popular sport to watch, but basketball is also very popular. I have yet to go to a basketball game because I always seem to be working when tickets are distributed, but I've been to some football games and they are extremely fun. Autzen Stadium is off campus, but many students and Eugene residents meet on campus and walk together. I always get excited every time I go to a game. Some people don't like to go unless they're drunk, but I personally have a great time without drinking.

I have heard we are vegan hippies, and also that UO is the best school in Oregon academically under Oregon Health and Science University.

University of Oregon administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.