Eugene, OR
University of Oregon

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Oregon

Melissa

Our school is best known for its school of journalism, education, and business. It is known for its football team and its rivalry with the Oregon State Beavers. It is known for its beautiful Eugene campus and for being named home of Tracktown USA. It is also known to be nicknamed Nike U for its outstanding contributions from University of Oregon alum Phil Knight.

The best advice I could give parents and students about finding the right college is looking at more than the student population, the dorm room space, the men to women ratio, or the average class size. Everything about college needs to be taken with a grain of salt because there is no such thing as the perfect college. A student must make the college perfect for their specific needs. My college is criticized for its small residence hall space and average class size. However, I found many positives to the University of Oregon. For example, because of its large population we are offered endless course opportunities. I have never had a boring or unwanted class. Also, there are so many campus sponsored activities that it is hard to keep track of which one is going on when. Professors are almost always available when you need them and they encourage you to contact them if help is needed. Students and parents should look deeper into college facts and not be afraid to ask questions that are left unanswered because it could make the difference between choosing the right college and the not-so-right college.

Someone who is an accepting person wanting to participate in a socially diverse community and someone who is a spirited football fan. A person who attends this school should be able to split their attention to both academics and social life because both are essential to feeling great about being on this campus.

Bob

I had fun there, but really, I hate hippies. As soon as I left the state, I needed to shower a lot.

Hippies. Hippies. Hippies. Hippies. Hippies.

Really, the South Park episode where Cartman tries to exterminate all hippies, that's how I feel about Eugene and UO. I enjoyed my experience there, and made good friends, but it sucked knowing that if I wasn't in perfect lock step with the hippie party line, I was a terrible baby raping murderer. So I like to eat meat; forgive me. So I go to church and believe in Jesus Christ; my bad. So I watch NASCAR; oops. Really people, you preach tolerance and are more intolerant than the racist pigs I left from the south. Please join the voluntary human extinction movement and off yourselves. Ohh yeah, the voluntary human extinction movement has an annual booth at a conference here, because humans are raping the earth so much we need to not reproduce anymore. How about you all just save the real humans and kill yourselves. Hippies.

Professors are nice. Good for them. Stupid hippies

Beer is good for the soul. I hate hippies.

Everyone's a damn hippie. But, they're the most intolerant kind of hippie. Dare to disagree with the most PC view, and you're shot down. How dare someone be a republican. We know what's best for the world. Kumbayah.

Ryan

The best thing about UO is that it's not located in the middle of a big city and has a nice campus infrastructure. The school size is just about right. Usually people do not know where is the UO so I have to tell them a little bit more elaborately. I spend my time mostly at the Lundquist School of Business and the Mills International Center located at the EMU.

There are a lot of socio-cultural student groups at the UO. So I think a student should not feel left out more of looking for what the student needs. Most people wear t shirt and a pair of jeans. Yes different student group interact. UO students are mostly from the Oregon, California, Washington and some from overseas.

Not really but we have accepted an award regarding building a "green" business school.

My professors know my name since the classes are not too huge (like freshmen classes). Here at the UO students study since week one. I can see that the library is always busy. The most unique class that I have taken is MGMT 321 which is Operations Management because the teacher is very good at explaining the material. Sometimes I do go to the teacher's office hours.

ASUO is the most popular student organization on campus (Association of Students at the University of Oregon). I am involved in the International Student Association. Athletic events are very big. People really want to line up when the favorite team is playing. People party a lot. Thirsty Thursday and during the weekends. Off campus activities, I usually go to Portland or just hang out at my friend's house.

A green, organic and environment-conscious community.

Reese

I don't know how most people feel about this, but what I miss most is fun fancy dances. The kinds from high school where you'd dress up in nice clothes and go to a nice venue to dance. Here, unless you are in a sorority or fraternity, there aren't any dances like that. Some bars are fun for dancing, but not everyone is 21 when they first come to college. Otherwise, U of O is a lot of fun. If you live in the dorms your freshman year, they have various activities going on there and "Common Grounds" (cafe in hamilton) is open until 2am everyday. Living off campus is nice too. I lived with 4 other people my sophmore year in college and it was great. It's like having your friends over all the time. Although, now that I only have one roommate, studying is definately easier to do since there are less distractions.

Most UO students are from Oregon. Many are from the Bay Area in California and some are from Washington. There are international students, in fact my first dorm roommate was from Japan.

No. UO is so big that you have many different students attending the school. UO is about as diverse as any other college.

Professors can honestly make you like or hate the subject. I recommend asking others who have taken the class what they liked and didn't like about the professor's teaching style and possibly read some reviews online about them. There are a lot of general education requirements. Definitely try to get classes that overlap multiple requirements (likes "arts and letters" and "multicultural" are both satisfied for the same class). This way, you have more space in your schedule to take the classes you want, and a better chance to graduate on-time, although an increasing number of students stay for a fifth year, and that's ok to do too.

There are so many organizations/clubs at the UO. There are club sports for students who like to play sports for fun. There are professional clubs like Alpha Kappa Psi and others.

All students are liberal hippies.

Katie

The UO is the best campus I've ever seen. It's a perfect college town, has enough people in attendance to get lost if you want and not too many to remain that way forever. There's enormous school pride, and the vibe on campus is a positive one. I don't want to go anywhere else.

Low racial diversity, but huge diversity of experience and opinion.

The UO's great, but stay away if you're uptight!

Nope, but more people are hippies here than most places I've been, and a lot of us are politically active.

In WGS and Spanish and the Honors College most of my profs know my name, but regular UO classes that have upwards of 100 kids wouldn't if I didn't go to office hours and harrass them into knowing me :).

That we're hippies, and all politically active.

Jasmine

It's easy to find a community in Eugene and the University. It is nice that the community can provide so many great things for everyone. I wish the University wasn't so business-like. The large size teaches you quickly to be your own best advocate. I like the bike culture in Eugene and around campus; it is very easy to get around with a car. I like to spend time on the comfy couches in the Women's Center and Survival Center. The Craft Center is also a great resource for fun, different, inexpensive classes. Fronmeyer is in the pocket of Phil Knight. We have Knight Library, Knight Law building, and (hopefully not) soon Knight basketball arena. Good luck getting sweatshop free apparel.

Highly variable. We have all types. We need more motivated, politically and social kids though.

Come to Oregon if you care about creating change.

For the most part, no. We have just as many Abercrombie, football loving, Coors drinking kids as the next big university...perhaps too many. OSU overflow I guess...

Classes are good. Registering is frustrating, you really have to lobby for your education and not give up if they tell you "you don't have the right prereqs, the class is full..etc etc." Urban Farm is probably the best fun class you can take.

I work with reproductive rights on campus. We do a lot of events to educate the campus community about choice issues. There are always amazing speakers, documentary screenings, plays, bands etc on campus. There is no reason to be bored in Eugene.

Hippy, highly political, motivated, compassionate about global issues

Andy

Best thing about UO is the spring time. Beautiful campus and people very busy on campus. I wouldnt change a thing. I like the size of this school, much bigger and i would feel overwhelmed. I spend most of my time in club sports.

There is definately a strong movement for all kinds of race/sex/orientation views at UO. Most students would feel comfortable here, compared to other schools we are very open and accepting. This is a left wing school. What does it matter what kids wear to class?

Most of my profs dont know my name. Favorite class: wilderness survival, awesome. I dont feel prepared to go get a job after this.least favorite: Humanities 103. Students are not competitive. The Bio department is awesome. They have a strong core of profs and good GTFs and BPTs. The academic requirements seem reasonable.

Mens ultimate team is the bomb. There are great campus bars and the downtown bars are fun too. Max's is my bar of choice. Football and basketball season are huge here. Soon to be baseball too. People party a fair amount here. Peace!

there is a sterotype of a "hippie" campus and hippie students. I would say that Eugene is definitely hippie as well as the activist students on campus, but the general student population doesnt seem that hippie...or maybe im just used to it.

Ali

Eugene is the epitome of a college town. The whole city supports the Ducks and football games are possibly my favorite events to attend throughout the year. The fans are friendly, but still rowdy, and enjoy going out the night after a game still decked out in Duck gear. It’s definitely an atmosphere of school where sports are big and well supported. I mean, it never rains in Autzen and no coach wants to play us at home.

Students are mostly left wing here. It is Oregon after all, the ones that aren’t come from areas in Portland’s suburbs. All political views are accepted and there are many clubs to join, but there is an overwhelming sense of democratic support.

There are mainly 3 on campus bars with a few further off but still in walking distance. If you're looking for a hugely active nightlife with clubs, this really isn’t the place for you.

Mostly. We do have a lot of hippies and the city is very eco-friendly, but there are also a lot of people from diverse backgrounds. There are also a lot more people from California than I thought there would be. We are slowly moving away from the ?dirty hippie? stereotype more towards an environmentally friendly growing city. There are tons of outdoor activities when it's not raining and everyone loves getting involved. It?s a nice mix. I keep my political views to myself though, unless you're a democrat, you probably shouldn't speak up too much if you don't want to debate. I am also told that the summers here are very nice, but I'm always back in California and have never experienced this rumor.

Once you are in the upper division classes, teachers actually get to know you as long as you make an effort. Almost all of them are extremely approachable and easy to have a real conversation with.

Only about 12-15% of people are involved in Greek Life at UO. This is a small amount of the student population, but I still found all but a very few of my closest friends through activities involving Chi Omega and other Fraternities and Sororities. I have truly met many lifelong friends as well as many others that I would have never had the opportunity to meet. Joining a Sorority was the best decision I made in college, and I would recommend at least participating in recruitment to everyone. The other place I met people was the dorms freshman year.

That we are all tree-hugging, weed-smoking hippies completely obsessed with the environment and recycling. Also, that Phil Knight gives us everything sports wise and that it never stop raining during the school year.

The best thing about UO is the willingness of people to get involved in the world around them. The other best thing, is Autzen stadium when we're having a good football year: standing there screaming with 60,000 other people in the loudest stadium in the county on an Oregon Autumn day is enough to make me glad I didn't go anywhere else for college. The campus is beautiful in Fall and Spring; there are a lot of outdoor adventure opportunities nearby; skiing, the beach, and a big city are all an hour-and-a-half away; the Greek community is great because it is so laid back and different from other state school Greek communities; the school of Journalism is great and nationally recognized. The one thing I would change, and the most frequent student complaint: the freshman housing is horrendous. Though it is a great bonding experience over how much they suck, I think we need to be more competitive with other schools. They have made strides to improve it recently with the new addition of the Living Learning Center, but- the disparity between that building and Bean- our oldest, most awful dormitory- is huge. The off-campus housing situation is a little frustrating in that they keep turning houses into apartments and its way more fun to live in a house than an apartment. One thing I'll always remember about UO is that ANY time the sun comes out, the main Memorial Quad on campus fills up with people and their guitars, and frisbees, and dogs and friends and the porches at local bars (Rennie's Landing and Taylor's) get packed.

You will have experiences with anti-racial, religious and anti-religious, LGBT, socio-economically aware people here. It seems like everyone has got something to say, and they say it here at UO. A student who would feel out of place at UO is an apathetic, close minded-conservative who hates the rain and learning from other people. No one dresses up for class- unless they're in the Business School- and you feel comfortable all over campus. People are friendly, a lot of kids want to go into the Peace Corps, and we like beer. The kids who are career driven and into networking socially and dressing less casually tend to be Greek students.

Though I personally don't own a single item of tie-dyed clothing and am a Reagan Republican, and have never smoked marijuana, I would say that yes- for the most part, those stereotypes are dead on.

If it wasn't for the honors college, I would have been frustrated with my academic experience here. My advice would be to choose a major that the school is strong in, and not just something that interests you, because there are definite differences in program strength here. My honors classes made up all of my undergraduate requirements and never have more than 25 people in them, are discussion based, and can sometimes result in an end-of-term dinner at the professor's house. Students are largely non-competitive which is WONDERFUL (I wanted to go to an East Coast school and can't tell you now how glad I am that I didn't) and everyone takes their academics pretty seriously. The most unique class I've taken was 19th Century German Poetry and Song: it was taught by two professors, and had 7 kids in the class. I learned so much random stuff but was exposed to a whole new kind of learning experience. I won't ever forget that class. In addition to twice a week meetings, we had to attend a concert, and then had a dinner party at one professor's house where we talked about our final papers. We actually didn't talk about our papers at all and just enjoyed our professor's culinary skills and each other's company.

The common stereotypes are that we are a bunch of liberals- taught by a another bunch of liberals- who smoke a lot of pot, protest a lot of stuff, enjoy the outdoors, love tie-dye and Birkenstocks, and that UO is a quality public institution of higher learning.

Cameron

The best thing about UO would have to be campus size and accessability. Its not too hard to find a house for rent that is close to campus as well. The sports are also very exciting and extremely competitive, a Mac Court basketball game is hard to top. It's an atmosphere unlike any other. I love how Eugene is so accepting, you can be a downright weirdo and fit right in. Or you can be traditional and fit right in just as well. Tons of school pride, the whole community is Duck friendly, tons of support for students. It could just be me, but I don't really see much controversy on campus. There are small rally's and such, but nothing huge that I have noticed. The school newspaper is also fantastic, and covers some controversial issues. Eugene is actually a REALLY safe town, for the low amount of Law personnel, which is actually what most college bound teens are looking for. A break from Johnny Law! Party scene is definitely good, especially at nearby college houses.

Really depends on what major and what you are in to. Most UO students are from Oregon, California, and Washington. I would say the school is predominately caucasian, I would guess 75% or more. But everyone seems to find a good social group and fits in well.

I give the University a 8 or 9 out of 10.

Hippies? Well the school is definitely a bit more liberal, but I am a right wing, gun-slinging Coloradoan, and I fit in just fine. The girls really are ok, and it's funny, because when the rain stops, it seems like the babes emerge from hiding. They come with the sun! :) It does rain, however, the worst part is winter break, and everyone goes home anyway, so you miss the worst of it.

Academics? Oh that's right, the OTHER reason I'm at UO! I came here to run track and escape the death grip of my parents, I didn't look much into academics. However, I did apply for the Architecture school and got in as an incoming frosh. The program was a HUGE dissapointment to me. My professor SUCKED! And mandatory studio was a nightmare. The main problem is that I was looking for Landscape Arch, and all students must take General architucture the first year, before going into specific categories. This was my downfall, as I could care less about building offices. So, I transitioned to business, and so far it has been phenominal. The UO school of Business is amazing, really top notch professors... a great place to earn a business degree, or even minor. Requirements are very fair, tons of class variation for different requirements. Online classes are also set up very well, and run smoothly. I LOVE the quarter system, if you have a crappy class, you only have to deal with it for 10 weeks!

Football, basketball, and Track are really big here, but all sports get recognition. It kinda depends on what team is hot at the time. Club sports are big, from snowboarding to cycling, there is a club sport for you! Dorms are really fun, with tons of activities for the complex. You WILL meet tons of people, whether you like it or not! Each hall is like a small family it seems like. Rec sports are also big, you can just get your friends together and make a team to play. The athletic facilities are high end, and with constant support from Uncle Phil Knight at Nike, we stay on top of any University in the country. Hands down! The Library is sweet, that is all I can say about it. You don't have to be a party hound here at Oregon, and there are tons of fun things to do in town without drinking. Greek life is here but not huge, known mostly for throwing crazy, non-alcoholic parties for any UO student. Usually broken up because of Fire Code violations. Lots of dancing and fun in Eugene. Last weekend I played beach volleyball and went to the movies.

HIPPIES!!! And that the girls really aren't very cute. Also, the fact that it rains like none other so it sucks here at UO.

University of Oregon administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.